• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freakyforms (3dsware) |OT| of Don't Panic

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
YyNkT.jpg

Shallow Hal

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I just realized that by saving those QR codes on your harddrive you can effectively collect an unlimited amount of these creations. I assume there is some sort of limit to it ingame, since you can only have 80 friends invited.

jgkspsx

I guess this has won me over. It feels like it could have been a landmark physical release if it had been more developed, but for what it is, I do like it.

schlew

Is there any way to force a part to the front or back of another? I'm finding that that's the only thing that's limiting me, and I imagine I'm just overlooking something simple.

watershed

Banned
Is there any way to force a part to the front or back of another? I'm finding that that's the only thing that's limiting me, and I imagine I'm just overlooking something simple.

Head pieces always go on top of body pieces, accessories always go on top of everything. There might be some more stuff like that just try it out.

Edit: above does it better.

zigg

Holy cow, this guy shocked me when I scanned him in! I had no idea you could do that :lol

So I had a bit of a busy Thanksgiving once I decided that I wasn't in the mood for S8-Crown. Highlights:

L4I6Q.jpg
5h24J.jpg
ReQZG.jpg
TM5Rh.jpg

And I finished all the race friends with this guy... though he has a strange tendency to stop dead on one particular hill:

CpZMX.jpg

I now have 80 scanned friends, time to favorite a few, I suppose! (Trophy for that.)

Dropping in a few of my Formees. Overall, this reminds me of Spore's creation tool with additional tweaks and the like. I think the explore part could have been fleshed out a little bit more. I love the multiple ways to get the in-game Friends, and the sharing elements of the Formees totally help it (thank goodness Pushmo does it, too! I like this trend.)

oGSjE.jpg

As one Gaffer requested, a water pokemon. I call him Tentoocool.

4596D.jpg

Kracko

AVPIq.jpg

Tortuga

3miQ7.jpg

Hot Air

NBUJq.jpg

PurPikmin

KjSvh.jpg

Snowglobe

Anyways, fun game for sure. I just wished the variety of missions was greater. I just unlocked the City, so maybe it'll pick up on that side.

zigg

I think that maybe, with over 18 hours on the Activity Log and a host of fun stuff, I am probably done playing this thing quite as intensely as I have been.

Would love it if I suddenly StreetPassed someone else out of the blue though. It's times like this I wish more titles used the friends list to randomly exchange content online.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I think that maybe, with over 18 hours on the Activity Log and a host of fun stuff, I am probably done playing this thing quite as intensely as I have been.

Would love it if I suddenly StreetPassed someone else out of the blue though. It's times like this I wish more titles used the friends list to randomly exchange content online.

"More" titles? Which ones do that?

Toma

I'm pretty sure Animal Crossing Wii did something like that with WC24, actually... but it was mostly a poor choice of words on my part.

Ah, didnt want to criticize. I actually love that feature and would love more game to use it. Hopefully some 3DS games will use it as well :)

I did :D (only one guy so far though)

The biggest problem with Streetpass in this game is that you have to unlock it, meaning that you'll find less people than you would otherwise find.

Who made this little gem? It kind of looks like an in-house Nintendo side project. Do we know if it was developed internally? It kicks ass though, this and Zen people are validating the e-shop's existence (for now at least).

Tyeforce

I StreetPassed someone with this at work on the day it was released, I was pleasantly surprised. Haven't StreetPassed anyone other than my boyfriend since, though. I need to make some more formees...

BooJoh

For the "planets visited" to increase on a Formee, do you have to StreetPass the same person twice, or just once?

I still only have two StreetPasses total since I got my 3DS in April, and I always carry it with me. I don't even get them at GameStop.

Tyeforce

For the "planets visited" to increase on a Formee, do you have to StreetPass the same person twice, or just once?

I still only have two StreetPasses total since I got my 3DS in April, and I always carry it with me. I don't even get them at GameStop.
Your formee has to come back to you before its "planets visited" count goes up. That could be two StreetPasses, or it could be more, if you don't get that formee back with the second StreetPass. At least that's how I understand it. I could be wrong, but it seems to work that way for me.

zigg

Who made this little gem? It kind of looks like an in-house Nintendo side project. Do we know if it was developed internally? It kicks ass though, this and Zen people are validating the e-shop's existence (for now at least).
Asobism—specifically, Hiroshi Moriyama, formerly of Skip and Chibi-Robo fame. Siliconera has a pretty good writeup; there's also an Iwata Asks video.

I may have a few more QR codes to post soon; despite being "done" I've stil made one or two Formees :D Still no StreetPasses, though... :(

Lijik

I just got this game about two days ago, and I've been having a ton of fun coming up with Formees! I was a little miffed by the slow super handholding start though. Things like copying, flipping, and the like being slowly unlocked really annoyed me since I just wanted to tear into the creation. I was also annoyed at first by the forced suggestions, but it led to my second character having flying hair which is pretty amazing!

Here's some of the formees I have made, they're mostly based on characters my friends and I draw:
tumblr_lvja0w0cTb1qejutxo1_400.jpg
tumblr_lvja0w0cTb1qejutxo2_400.jpg
tumblr_lvja0w0cTb1qejutxo3_400.jpg

tumblr_lvja0w0cTb1qejutxo7_r1_400.jpg
tumblr_lvlgnrjbL61qejutxo1_400.jpg
tumblr_lvl9uy5PIC1qejutxo3_400.jpg

tumblr_lvl9uy5PIC1qejutxo1_400.jpg
tumblr_lvl9uy5PIC1qejutxo2_400.jpg
tumblr_lvli2gqai11qejutxo1_400.jpg

Toma

I just got this game about two days ago, and I've been having a ton of fun coming up with Formees! I was a little miffed by the slow super handholding start though. Things like copying, flipping, and the like being slowly unlocked really annoyed me since I just wanted to tear into the creation. I was also annoyed at first by the forced suggestions, but it led to my second character having flying hair which is pretty amazing!

Here's some of the formees I have made, they're mostly based on characters my friends and I draw:
tumblr_lvja0w0cTb1qejutxo2_400.jpg

I like that one! I'll QR it as soon as I get my 3DS back (which my GF stole for her weekend trip to play Mario)

watershed

Banned
I'm glad to see this game is still chugging along. I'd be really interested to see its sales so far. I hope its doing well, I read somewhere it would be featured in a new 3ds ad starting next week. Can't remember where though.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Heh, I just heard this game mentioned at the end of a 3DS commercial. It seems they didn't showcase it, but I wouldn't never thought of hearing it on TV.

Toma

Heh, I just heard this game mentioned at the end of a 3DS commercial. It seems they didn't showcase it, but I wouldn't never thought of hearing it on TV.

Wow, surprising indeed. But I guess the national Nintendo branches are smart enough to realize that they are missing games, especially creative, original ones. So smart move on mentioning those games as well.

I got this game a while ago, it is fun to mess around with and make things. I just wish the platforming levels were better, I'd have preferred them to be longer point to point type levels.

Damn, I knew GAF had lurkers, but my imgur has gotten around 400 hits for each of my creatures.
I believe EviLore once said there are about 50 lurkers who view GAF, to every 1 member.

zigg

Thanks for reminding me that I have more formees to post :D

8xHrS.jpg
vnMGD.jpg
qKIGn.jpg

My wife and daughter just got 3DSes with the Best Buy sale and my daughter wants this badly... I guess predictable StreetPasses are better than none, eh?

jgkspsx

Some amazing formees in this thread. These aren't among them, but I like them.

J7nnB.jpg

Wienermobile

kAVOQ.jpg

Turkey Nessy

DpwD3.jpg

Roller Pig, with wing ears. Definitely the most capable formee I've made. Fast as hell, too.

1whtH.jpg

That elegant hairdo is very functional...

zqYKv.jpg

Totally useless, but one of my favorites to encounter in-game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Has any other platform leveraged QR codes for user generated content the way the 3DS is shaping up to between this and the Push/Pull game?

Lijik

I made a dopey Jim Henson lookin Cthulhu last night but my 3DS died before I could get it to the sanctuary :( I thought I was gonna have enough battery to get one last gem for a quest first! Ah well.

Yup, is there anything else already announced for it that we might get somewhat soon?

Swapnote is supposed to come out this month but thats not really a game
Rolling Western is Q1 2012 (and I think 3D Classics: Kid Icarus too?)

I dont know if we're getting those ThruSpace or The Mystery of Murasame Castle Sequels that were announced in Japan

Lijik

Sorry for double posting, but I started up Freaky Forms to find that it had saved my Cthulhu and put him in the Sanctuary! Here it is with another formee I made last night:
tumblr_lvy6odQ2Wf1qejutxo2_400.jpg

tumblr_lvy6odQ2Wf1qejutxo1_400.jpg

what would be ace is if you could only start the camera app by pressing L or R on 3DS and it recognizes the QR codes and starts the corresponding app without me needing to start it myself :)

schlew

In watching the Iwata Asks for FreakyForms, I thought it was interesting how the director created this game for children to play. Not in a negative way, but in the sense that the game's controls and creation were easy to get into.
What made this point ring true for me is how much my nearly 3-year-old daughter loves it. She saw me creating a monster, and she instantly wanted to help. Now she does it on her own. Neatest thing is seeing her creations "mature". Early on they were crazy, with body parts all over the place. In a few weeks they've begun to take on more proper shapes. It's very interesting, and I'm really proud of her.
If anyone wants an accessible game for a younger gamer, I put my vote behind FreakyForms. I'll try to get some of the QR codes for some of her creations in a bit.

Top Bottom