• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Friends' Star Matthew Perry Dead at 54 After Apparent Drowning

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Totally random factoid I found out following this story. Dateline NBC's Keith Morrison is his father in law. Never knew that. Saw photos of Keith Morrison at the scene with police tape that's super eerie considering the guy covers a lot of news stories involving fatalities for a living. This time he's at a scene(albeit not a homicide) for one of his own. Very sad all around.

Last edited:

Ristifer

So sad to see this. Loved watching him as I was growing up. I was always rooting for him to conquer his demons, but that can be such a tall task.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
chandler bing happy dance GIF by Nick At Nite

R.I.P Chandler Bing

Last edited:

Jenov

Oh man, how devastating.
I was a massive Friends fan, it was the first show (together With The Simpsons) I really got into back in the early 90's.
Still remember discovering it while channelsurfing, I stumbled upon The Jill Goodacre scene, had to laugh so hard, kept watching ever since
I hope he's at peace.

This was good, but my all time favorite Chandler scene is the one where Rachel’s boss handcuffs him in her office. The pure hijinx between him and Rachel is just hilarious. Perry accidentally hits himself in the head with the file drawer and they kept it in 😁

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
“I wanted to be famous so badly there was steam coming out of my ears, and I desperately - I can't stress this part enough, but desperately needed the money that any break as an actor would give me.

Then I got this audition, and when I read the sides, the part of Chandler leapt off the page, shook my hand and said, 'This is you, man! I am you!', and I knew I was going to book it. In this almost mystical way I knew that I would, and of course, I did.

I was on Friends from age 24 to 34, I was in the white-hot flame of fame and earning obscene amounts of money per episode, for a solid decade.

But for me, the feeling of ‘I've made it, I'm thrilled’ lasted maybe six or at most eight months.

I think most stars do eventually realize that fame and money don't accomplish anything, being rich and well known is not adding one damn bit of good to the world, and certainly not filling any holes in your life!

But what they are good for, the fame and money, if you do 'being a celebrity' at all right, are as tools to help other people.

I've had a lot of ups and downs in my life. I'm still working through it personally, but the best thing about me is that if an alcoholic or drug addict comes up to me and says, ‘Will you help me?’ I will always say, ‘Yes, I know how to do that. I will do that for you, even if I can't always do it for myself.’ So I do that, whenever I can. In groups, or one on one.

And I created the Perry House in Malibu, a sober-living facility for men. I also wrote my play The End of Longing, which is a personal message to the world, an exaggerated form of me as a drunk. I had something important to say to people like me, and to people who love people like me.

When I die, I know people will talk about Friends, Friends, Friends. And I'm glad of that, happy I've done some solid work as an actor, as well as given people multiple chances to make fun of my struggles on the world wide web... but when I die, as far as my so-called accomplishments go, it would be nice if Friends were listed far behind the things I did to try to help other people.

I know it won't happen, but it would be nice."

-Matthew Petty

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Should be noted:

"Perry himself was using ketamine infusion therapy for depression and anxiety, with the most recent infusion provided a week and a half before his death, his autopsy report said. But the ketamine used for that therapy was unlikely the cause of Perry's death as the half-life of the drug in the system is around three to four hours or less, the report said."

Bojji

Less than 10% of addicts get sober and stay that way. Source: me, and 14 years of NA/AA.

I think about 14% in Poland. There is a chance that people will return to drinking (etc.) but they can always return to therapy and keep going, they are aware about their condition. Rest of the people (86%?) don't see any problem with their behavior at all and they will end up their life rather quickly.

I'm addicted to alcohol, 18 months sober right now.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The actor was very careless, he consumed drugs, he smoked a lot, he was very heavy and he consumed alcohol, surely an overdose of alcohol or drugs must have happened to him while he was in the jacuzzi.

I knew it and without reading the clinical report.

Many condolences... But his health neglect was what increased his mortality.... That crappy sport he did didn't help either ''pickleball' '.... He should have done real physical activity like running, swimming, Bicycle .... Physical activity that really helps .

Quitting smoking, not drinking alcoholic beverages, drugs... All of that gave him that result in the end.

Last edited:

Ownage

Many condolences... But his health neglect was what increased his mortality.... That crappy sport he did didn't help either ''pickleball' '.... He should have done real physical activity like running, swimming, Bicycle .... Physical activity that really helps .

Quitting smoking, not drinking alcoholic beverages, drugs... All of that gave him that result in the end.
Depression is a helluva thing. Nobody can get you out of that hole except you. And, even if you want to get out of the hole, you may not know how to do so if you've been in there for so long.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Depression is a helluva thing. Nobody can get you out of that hole except you. And, even if you want to get out of the hole, you may not know how to do so if you've been in there for so long.
Here the ideal is Psychotherapy, plus willpower.

But many opt for the simple, getting drunk and taking drugs to have a momentary escape from their problems.

T-0800

I'm addicted to alcohol, 18 months sober right now.
I always find that a strange thing to say. To me if you're addicted to something you can't go without it. Which you have proven you can. I just finding the wording strange and am not meaning to make light of your or anybodies struggle. All the best.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I always find that a strange thing to say. To me if you're addicted to something you can't go without it. Which you have proven you can. I just finding the wording strange and am not meaning to make light of your or anybodies struggle. All the best.
An addiction never goes away. You will always be drawn to it, craving it. Ever have a craving for a burger or some chocolate? Imagine that, but 300x more powerful of a craving where it nearly consumes all your waking thoughts. That is addiction to substances like Alcohol or drugs. It is an awful feeling.

Cyberpunkd

An addiction never goes away. You will always be drawn to it, craving it. Ever have a craving for a burger or some chocolate? Imagine that, but 300x more powerful of a craving where it nearly consumes all your waking thoughts. That is addiction to substances like Alcohol or drugs. It is an awful feeling.
Which is why you never see ex-alcoholics consuming “in moderation”. Once they stop they become sober for life because they realise the only way forward with them and alcohol is zero tolerance, otherwise they know they will slip again into addiction.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

I think it’s time to stop separating alcohol from drugs. Look a this thread. Everyone is saying „alcohol… and drugs”. No. Alcohol (Ethanol) is a drug and it’s one of the worst as it’s legal, largely available and culturally acceptable.

Bojji

When you consume you pretty much can't live without it, when you stop drinking after few weeks of usage your body will fucking crave for it, withdrawal syndrome will kick in etc. After some time when organism cleans you can live without alcohol but there are times when your brain will remind you about this and it can be (very) hard to endure and not just start drinking again.

Exactly, it gets better with time but it will always have massive power over life.

Which is why you never see ex-alcoholics consuming “in moderation”. Once they stop they become sober for life because they realise the only way forward with them and alcohol is zero tolerance, otherwise they know they will slip again into addiction.

Yep, alcoholics can't drink at all.

I think it’s time to stop separating alcohol from drugs. Look a this thread. Everyone is saying „alcohol… and drugs”. No. Alcohol (Ethanol) is a drug and it’s one of the worst as it’s legal, largely available and culturally acceptable.

Alcohol and drugs works pretty much the same on our brains so i'm with you on this, I know a lot of drug (many are also alcoholics) addicts and their experience with withdrawal etc. is very similar to mine.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I know if I drink again I'm dead. It's as simple as that.
I never understood alcohol-free beer.
I drank that piss to get fucked up not for the taste 😁

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Alcohol and drugs works pretty much the same on our brains so i'm with you on this, I know a lot of drug (many are also alcoholics) addicts and their experience with withdrawal etc. is very similar to mine.

No, my man. You still don't get it. Alcohol is a drug. That's literally the textbook, medical definition of it. There's no 'alcohol... and drugs', it's the same thing.

It's also a drug responsible for more deaths than any other but nobody is talking about it. It's poison. Source.

Last edited:

Bojji

No, my man. You still don't get it. Alcohol is a drug. That's literally the textbook, medical definition of it. There's no 'alcohol... and drugs', it's the same thing.

It's also a drug responsible for more deaths than any other but nobody is talking about it. It's poison. Source.

I know that but alcohol is treated differently by most societies (aside muslims). People addicted to heroin don't see it in every store but sadly we (alcoholics) don't have that luxury.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I know that but alcohol is treated differently by most societies (aside muslims). People addicted to heroin don't see it in every store but sadly we (alcoholics) don't have that luxury.

On that I agree. There must be a tectonic shift in society and how we perceive alcohol. Drinking alcohol needs the same treatment that smoking got. From something that was just causal, lifestyle choice, fun, harmless, trendy, hell, even considered healthy (seriously, people at one point believed that smoking helps you to practice breathing and shit like that) to unmasking what an absolute toxic poison it is. That's what we need to do, as society.

And let's start with using the right language. Instead of repeating 'alcohol... and drugs', let's say 'drugs (including alcohol)'. I believe that language matters in this specific case.

Bojji

On that I agree. There must be a tectonic shift in society and how we perceive alcohol. Drinking alcohol needs the same treatment that smoking got. From something that was just causal, lifestyle choice, fun, harmless, trendy, hell, even considered healthy (seriously, people at one point believed that smoking helps you to practice breathing and shit like that) to unmasking what an absolute toxic poison it is. That's what we need to do, as society.

And let's start with using the right language. Instead of repeating 'alcohol... and drugs', let's say 'drugs (including alcohol)'. I believe that language matters in this specific case.

I completely agree.

Most people don't become alcoholics but that doesn't change the fact that people under the influence are way more likely to hurt themselves or others. Alcohol shouldn't be treated as harmless fun but I doubt much will change about it during our lifetimes...

DavidGzz

Yeah, I'm a 911 dispatcher. We'd have no traffic(call volume) spikes on the weekend if it wasn't for this drug. It literally makes people handicapped rapidly. It causes anger in males who have a tendency to hit their wife and threaten their kids, it kills a whole family in a head on collision.

One of our new hires asked why we send police to ambulance calls involving alcohol. "She just fell and hit her face." I was like, because it's a call involving drugs. People don't see it as a drug. Also, sure enough officers arrive and have to arrest someone for battery. Fall, my ass.

Tams

That's rather extreme.

Alcohol can and occasionally is a dangerous drug, but it is not on par with nicotine.

Smoking has almost no positive benefits to anyone, and any that there are, are vastly outweighed by the negative health consequences, both to the user and those around them.

The vast amount of alcohol drunk does not lead to negative outcomes and in small amounts in moderation has no long term negative consequences. It doesn't directly affect others like smoke either. On top of that, it is a several millenial, if not more, social lubricant. It has helped oil the wheels of society, that almost all societies have.

There certainly needs to be more awareness around alcohol as the drug it is, but in many places authorities at least treat it as one.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
That's rather extreme.

Alcohol can and occasionally is a dangerous drug, but it is not on par with nicotine.

Smoking has almost no positive benefits to anyone, and any that there are, are vastly outweighed by the negative health consequences, both to the user and those around them.

The vast amount of alcohol drunk does not lead to negative outcomes and in small amounts in moderation has no long term negative consequences. It doesn't directly affect others like smoke either. On top of that, it is a several millenial, if not more, social lubricant. It has helped oil the wheels of society, that almost all societies have.

There certainly needs to be more awareness around alcohol as the drug it is, but in many places authorities at least treat it as one.

See, you're part of the problem. Alcohol is killing every year as many people as the worse estimates of deaths due to COVID (~3 million). There are new studies that show how consumption of alcohol (even recreational) is linked to cancer. And then you have social aspect, broken families, car accidents and so on. So when you say that it doesn't directly affects others, you are just delusional, not educated on the topic and you shouldn't even enter the conversation.

So yeah, it's not extreme. If anything, alcohol consumption must be stigmatized even more than smoking. It's not cool. It's not safe. It's not needed for anything. The only people benefiting from it are cartels selling it.

clarky

Gold Member
See, you're part of the problem. Alcohol is killing every year as many people as the worse estimates of deaths due to COVID (~3 million). There are new studies that show how consumption of alcohol (even recreational) is linked to cancer. And then you have social aspect, broken families, car accidents and so on. So when you say that it doesn't directly affects others, you are just delusional, not educated on the topic and you shouldn't even enter the conversation.

So yeah, it's not extreme. If anything, alcohol consumption must be stigmatized even more than smoking. It's not cool. It's not safe. It's not needed for anything. The only people benefiting from it are cartels selling it.
My brother is an alcoholic and its absolutely destroying what was a very nice life. He just did 14 months sober after a stint in rehab, but unfortunately has swapped a bottle of gin for breakfast for a couple of bottles of wine before lunch, because "its not the same" obviously.

Only a matter of time before something really bad happens and we are pretty much powerless to stop it. Its ripped the family apart. Awful drug.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Or treat what was ever making you drink in the first place. Such as anxiety/depression.

I have Sober since 2000 (straight after millennial day) gave up drinking because I knew I could not do moderation. Also stories people were telling me about how I acted made me ashamed. So I vowed to stop drinking there and then. Found out later on alcoholism runs in my family.
I do have no/low alcohol drinks when they have some. But mostly stick to water or line cordial and soda water. Not drinking is sometimes seen as an odd thing in the uk. My friends know I don’t drink. But any work colleagues or new people I meet usually bring up the subject etc and when I go and say about it 90% of the time I get a what’s wrong with you ? Don’t drink don’t believe it. It. (Mostly said in jest)

TBH I had a pint of beer once when out with the wife a few years ago, was having a fancy meal though lt I could handle it. But drank it too fast. Then felt a nice buzz felt great but when the buzz wore off I felt anxious and realised how tempting it could be to feel that nice again and again. Realised I was having anxiety etc.
But knowing how I am I decided to not even try and drink again and just curb it because it won’t work.

Been doing stuff about it now.
But if I was doing it to few great etc I would need more each time.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
My brother is an alcoholic and its absolutely destroying what was a very nice life. He just did 14 months sober after a stint in rehab, but unfortunately has swapped a bottle of gin for breakfast for a couple of bottles of wine before lunch, because "its not the same" obviously.

Only a matter of time before something really bad happens and we are pretty much powerless to stop it. Its ripped the family apart. Awful drug.
So is one of mine right now. The other one realised how shit it was annd how it was wrecking his life and has been sorting him self out. He has been sober for two years now. I’m really proud of him. Also disclosure my dad was one too and the long term effects of it helped to kill him in the end. Which was sad as he was finally doing his best to get over it but all those years caught up with him. He had an accident and well the stressed etc his heart gave out 😢

clarky

Gold Member
Or treat what was ever making you drink in the first place. Such as anxiety/depression.

I was Sober since 1999/2000 gave up drinking because I knew I could not do moderation. Found out later on alcoholism runs in my family. TBH I had a pint of beer once when out with the wife a few years ago, was having a fancy meal though lt I could handle it. But drank it too fast. Then felt a nice buzz felt great but when the buzz wore off I felt anxious and realised how tempting it could be to few that nice again and again. Realised I was having anxiety etc. Been doing stuff about it now.
But if I was doing it to few great etc I would need more each time.
The thing is if you drink due to depression/anxiety then in my experience it only exacerbates your issues in the medium/long term. A viscous spiral if there ever was one.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The thing is if you drink due to depression/anxiety then in my experience it only exacerbates your issues in the medium/long term. A viscous spiral if there ever was one.
Exactly. I was 22 when I stopped drinking and as a young pup I just drink to have a good time. Get shit faced etc.
I didn’t realise I had anxiety yet. I either got drunk and just silly or I would get surly. So I stopped

as an older and slightly wiser person. When I had that buzz feel good feeling I realised this and saw the trap that may for me and realised I could only get out of it if I did something about the anxiety etc. As when I was ok (the buzz feeling passed quickly) it felt worse being no buzzed. I assumed it would feel stronger each time and the only way to get rid of it would be to have more.

Plus having spent all this time sober etc I’m used to the baseline I feel without needing to medicate with drink. It was literally one.

i just thought why not just have one pint? No more. even then I got a bit buzzed/relaxed so I know I can’t do moderate if I ever tried again so nope not doing that. Plus been around enough drunk people to realise how heartbreaking it is to watch. Also in pub and clubs watching certain drunk people go for it is kind of disheartening

I don’t look down on everyone who drinks. It’s just well you know the people with problems who drink and you can just see the trajectory downward happening in real time

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Rest in Peace Matthew Perry.

The drowning though. If you're up to date with celebrities dying in a bathtub ie water. It's pretty frequent for reasons.

No disrespect. RIP Chandler. Sad.

Man being an actor really fucks people up doesn't it.

😥

Last edited:

Can't read it with that paywall... what happened?

Top Bottom