• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Friends' Star Matthew Perry Dead at 54 After Apparent Drowning

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
TBH I had a pint of beer once when out with the wife a few years ago, was having a fancy meal though lt I could handle it. But drank it too fast. Then felt a nice buzz felt great but when the buzz wore off I felt anxious and realised how tempting it could be to few that nice again and again. Realised I was having anxiety etc.
I had a run with alcohol from ~21-24. Drinking it daily in excessive amounts. It's alarming how if I have a drink now, I get that same anxiety you mentioned after the initial buzz wears off. It's like my body is doing everything it can to convince me to keep drinking: "Dude, something is seriously wrong, bro. You gotta drink more, bro, this ain't right!"

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Rest in Peace Matthew Perry.

The drowning though. If you're up to date with celebrities dying in a bathtub ie water. It's pretty frequent for reasons.

No disrespect. RIP Chandler. Sad.

Man being an actor really fucks people up doesn't it.

😥

It's the adjusting to fame, dealing with anxiety, death threats, people begging for money, loss of privacy... That can take a toll on a lot of people if they don't have the right support system (truly loving family and friends).

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I drink on occasion... I don't like getting drunk so I actively stop at a certain point. Get the buzz and cut off from there.

Funny thing is, I don't drink when I'm having an anxiety moment... I do it when I'm already relaxed if I'm out (meaning with friends). I remember one time I had quite a few drinks... Then I had some water and sobered up a bit. Thankfully I didn't get sick. That's something I HATE! I try to avoid it if I'm drinking. I'll usually stop at two and call it a night on that. Very rarely will I drink more than 2 and I splice it up with water or Sprite.

Believe it or not, I actually like the taste of some drinks. Strongbow for instance.

But anyway... I wished that Mr. Perry had lived and not gone out that way. :(

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Alcohol is worse than fentanyl

20190629_woc294.png
And to me thats the problem with substance abuse. Affecting society and other people.

If someone wants to do this stuff in their basement and not involve the gov or other people, do what you want. But when it involves creating slums, druggie streets, crime, screwing up the family tree thats where its got to come to a stop.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It's the adjusting to fame, dealing with anxiety, death threats, people begging for money, loss of privacy... That can take a toll on a lot of people if they don't have the right support system (truly loving family and friends).

Sure that's the first mainstream conclusion that get to mind. Same here. Let's leave it at that

Ownage

Or treat what was ever making you drink in the first place. Such as anxiety/depression.

I have Sober since 2000 (straight after millennial day) gave up drinking because I knew I could not do moderation. Also stories people were telling me about how I acted made me ashamed. So I vowed to stop drinking there and then. Found out later on alcoholism runs in my family.
I do have no/low alcohol drinks when they have some. But mostly stick to water or line cordial and soda water. Not drinking is sometimes seen as an odd thing in the uk. My friends know I don’t drink. But any work colleagues or new people I meet usually bring up the subject etc and when I go and say about it 90% of the time I get a what’s wrong with you ? Don’t drink don’t believe it. It. (Mostly said in jest)

TBH I had a pint of beer once when out with the wife a few years ago, was having a fancy meal though lt I could handle it. But drank it too fast. Then felt a nice buzz felt great but when the buzz wore off I felt anxious and realised how tempting it could be to few that nice again and again. Realised I was having anxiety etc.
But knowing how I am I decided to not even try and drink again and just curb it because it won’t work.

Been doing stuff about it now.
But if I was doing it to few great etc I would need more each time.
Big respect on your sobriety. Every day one step forward.

There is pressure in various scenes for those to drink.

At an former employer, when I told members of the ELT I didn't drink while on the job (at functions), some looked at me and asked if I was an alcoholic. I'm not, but the stigma of not being part of the club is real.

Tams

See, you're part of the problem. Alcohol is killing every year as many people as the worse estimates of deaths due to COVID (~3 million). There are new studies that show how consumption of alcohol (even recreational) is linked to cancer. And then you have social aspect, broken families, car accidents and so on. So when you say that it doesn't directly affects others, you are just delusional, not educated on the topic and you shouldn't even enter the conversation.

So yeah, it's not extreme. If anything, alcohol consumption must be stigmatized even more than smoking. It's not cool. It's not safe. It's not needed for anything. The only people benefiting from it are cartels selling it.

My four to five beers, a couple of glasses of wine, and maybe something else a month are not doing me any physical harm at all, especially as they are spread out over the month.

And I'm not going to give that up just because a few (and it is only a few) ruin their lives with alcohol.

The solution isn't to ban it, or make it much harder to get (and that's already been tried, and failed spectacularly), but to improve education in general, and support for the few addicts there are.

It's addiction that's the problem. There are also computer game addicts. Do you support banning computer games? I mean, after all they only really offer virtual relationships and almost all are played inside, sedentary, often in the dark.

Thankfully, people like you piss many people off, so you never get put into positions of power to enact what you want.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
My four to five beers, a couple of glasses of wine, and maybe something else a month are not doing me any physical harm at all, especially as they are spread out over the month.

And I'm not going to give that up just because a few (and it is only a few) ruin their lives with alcohol.

Cheers!

The solution isn't to ban it, or make it much harder to get (and that's already been tried, and failed spectacularly), but to improve education in general, and support for the few addicts there are.

No, the solution isn't to ban it. The solution is to educate absolute ignorant individuals like you. Few addicts?

20101106_WOC504_0.gif

It's addiction that's the problem. There are also computer game addicts. Do you support banning computer games? I mean, after all they only really offer virtual relationships and almost all are played inside, sedentary, often in the dark.

I've been on this forum for 2+ years but your post is the stupidest shit I've read so far, congratulations.

Thankfully, people like you piss many people off, so you never get put into positions of power to enact what you want.

I'm glad I pissed you off, maybe the anger will help you switch your brain on someday. Until then, have a blessed day.

Tams

Cheers!

No, the solution isn't to ban it. The solution is to educate absolute ignorant individuals like you. Few addicts?

20101106_WOC504_0.gif

I've been on this forum for 2+ years but your post is the stupidest shit I've read so far, congratulations.

I'm glad I pissed you off, maybe the anger will help you switch your brain on someday. Until then, have a blessed day.

Mate, you linked to an article that doesn't properly cite sources, especially for it's main claim:

However, latest available data indicate that half of all alcohol-attributable cancers in the WHO European Region are caused by “light” and “moderate” alcohol consumption – less than 1.5 litres of wine or less than 3.5 litres of beer or less than 450 millilitres of spirits per week.

This making it pretty much impossible to verify it.

All from an organisation who's reputation is in tatters.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Mate, you linked to an article that doesn't properly cite sources, especially for it's main claim:

This making it pretty much impossible to verify it.

All from an organisation who's reputation is in tatters.

No point in discussing this with you. You already made your mind and I'm not going to waste my time. Grab a pint and do your own research in your own time. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

giphy.gif

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Cheers!

20101106_WOC504_0.gif

Alcohol is without a doubt the most dangerous drug. The evidence for that is incontrovertible.

Put it this way, if alcohol was invented today it would be banned across the globe and considered a hard drug like heroin.

We can't ban it now, but we absolutely should be doing a better job of educating people on the dangers of alcohol. Maybe treat them like cigarettes here in the UK and ban alcohol advertising and sell it in plain packaging. I'd be up for that.

Wildebeest

Alcohol has to be treated as a cultural problem because it is easy to make. But then it is not clear what cultural practices are more healthy other than making it a crime against god or something. In Britain there is a problem with people drinking too much supermarket booze every day, but there is also a problem with people going out drinking and doing cocaine, then getting violent, or just making the scene unpleasant.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Alcohol is without a doubt the most dangerous drug. The evidence for that is incontrovertible.

Put it this way, if alcohol was invented today it would be banned across the globe and considered a hard drug like heroin.

We can't ban it now, but we absolutely should be doing a better job of educating people on the dangers of alcohol. Maybe treat them like cigarettes here in the UK and ban alcohol advertising and sell it in plain packaging. I'd be up for that.
Yup.

Out of all the sin kinds of products: alcohol, smoking, drugs, gambling. For some reason alcohol is the one which seems to have the most users, boozers, drunk driving, being red shitfaced, people's livers and kidneys destroyed AA etc.... yet as long as you are adult age, you can buy it at a convenience store to go along with a bag of chips. No shame too. Beers and wine are out in the open too, have TV ads, and sponsor sports telecasts.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yup.

Out of all the sin kinds of products: alcohol, smoking, drugs, gambling. For some reason alcohol is the one which seems to have the most users, boozers, drunk driving, being red shitfaced, people's livers and kidneys destroyed AA etc.... yet as long as you are adult age, you can buy it at a convenience store to go along with a bag of chips. No shame too. Beers and wine are out in the open too, have TV ads, and sponsor sports telecasts.
Probably because they tried banning it before to disastrous results giving rise to the mafia and creating an entire underground crime world. People love their vices and thats just part of being in a free society.

One thing I will change is that DUIs should be an automatic 1 month trip to prison. Not an overnight stay in a jail cell. no warning. People need a reality check and the moment they have to worry about getting raped, they will never ever drive drunk again. 13k DUI deaths a year is kinda nuts considering there are around 20k murders a year and we treat murderers a lot more harshly.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Probably because they tried banning it before to disastrous results giving rise to the mafia and creating an entire underground crime world. People love their vices and thats just part of being in a free society.

I don't think anyone here is advocation for 'banning' ethanol. Nobody is naive enough to believe that would improve anything.

Instead, cartels selling it should be banned from advertising, banned from sponsoring anything (cultural events, sport events, you name it... oh, the irony), banned from selling in grocery stores etc.. Every bottle should be slapped with warning like cigarettes (like we have here in EU) and governments should spend more money on educating the public. So much tax money is wasted on direct and indirect damage done by alcohol consumption, it's ridiculous that people in power don't do more to improve the situation.

One thing I will change is that DUIs should be an automatic 1 month trip to prison. Not an overnight stay in a jail cell. no warning. People need a reality check and the moment they have to worry about getting raped, they will never ever drive drunk again. 13k DUI deaths a year is kinda nuts considering there are around 20k murders a year and we treat murderers a lot more harshly.

1 month would be a joke as well. Automatic cancelation of driver's license, banned from participating on public roads in any capacity for life and up to X years in prison. That would maybe result in some stopping and thinking before seating behind the wheel. I don't care if you want to poison yourself (not you specifically Slimy), go ahead and do it. But as soon as you put others in danger, well fuck you (again, not you Slimy) and go rot.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't think anyone here is advocation for 'banning' ethanol. Nobody is naive enough to believe that would improve anything.

Instead, cartels selling it should be banned from advertising, banned from sponsoring anything (cultural events, sport events, you name it... oh, the irony), banned from selling in grocery stores etc.. Every bottle should be slapped with warning like cigarettes (like we have here in EU) and governments should spend more money on educating the public. So much tax money is wasted on direct and indirect damage done by alcohol consumption, it's ridiculous that people in power don't do more to improve the situation.

1 month would be a joke as well. Automatic cancelation of driver's license, banned from participating on public roads in any capacity for life and up to X years in prison. That would maybe result in some stopping and thinking before seating behind the wheel. I don't care if you want to poison yourself (not you specifically Slimy), go ahead and do it. But as soon as you put others in danger, well fuck you (again, not you Slimy) and go rot.
Ya. Smoking is a big no-no. Pretty sure US/Canada are similar. Not sure about other regions. But no smoking TV ads, sponsorships, magazine ads etc.... And smokes are sold in limited stores, behind a counter and covered with a metal door. It's as anti-purchasable as you can get without outright banning it.

But alcohol has very lenient policies. I think the only caveat is advertisements cant show someone actually drinking booze like someone drinking a coffee or Pepsi. But aside from that, it's a very openly promoted and bought sin product.

Gambling has got worse too because it seems the past bunch of years every sports telecast has endless betting ads and the event has ads, odds and studio crew talking about odds and their opinion on over/unders. Its all integrated into the production where they even show live in-game odds at intermission. The other day, some of the crew were talking parlay bets and they were 2 for 3, and needed one to win. Insane how open that is now. And kids are watching this. I have no idea if these guys are serious or the betting companies gave them lines to say, but it's pretty ridiculous.

Last edited:
Gave up alcohol almost completely last year. It's been so many months I don't bother counting. I have no cravings for alcohol or hangovers etc anymore, ever really. I'm happy to have a beer or two with a special dinner like XMAS. I'll happily have a red wine with a good steak. As for daily drinks or binge drinking when out? I have zero desire to get wasted AF anymore or trash my mind, body and soul. I never really had a "massive addiction" problem or blackout etc but I was someone drinking daily for years e.g. 1-3 drinks a day.

Wife, wallet and wellbeing are all on the up and up while weight in on the down down. Cannot complain about the benefits of leaving alcohol behind, fuck any "social drinkers" that cannot be social without a drink projecting that shit around the room.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Gave up alcohol almost completely last year. It's been so many months I don't bother counting. I have no cravings for alcohol or hangovers etc anymore, ever really. I'm happy to have a beer or two with a special dinner like XMAS. I'll happily have a red wine with a good steak. As for daily drinks or binge drinking when out? I have zero desire to get wasted AF anymore or trash my mind, body and soul. I never really had a "massive addiction" problem or blackout etc but I was someone drinking daily for years e.g. 1-3 drinks a day.

Wife, wallet and wellbeing are all on the up and up while weight in on the down down. Cannot complain about the benefits of leaving alcohol behind, fuck any "social drinkers" that cannot be social without a drink projecting that shit around the room.
Great to hear Ozzy.

As for me and my fam and any relatives I'm close with i dont think any of us are addicted to anything, except a couple uncles smoked. But thats it. And amazingly both are still alive at like 75-80 years old.

It sounds odd, but I think two reasons why we never got into anything is due to parents nagging us to not go overboard doing dumb shit (although two uncles smoked. lol), plus getting nagged to save money. All I know is anyone my parents age in my fam tree are the cheapest fucks you'll ever meet. And that has transcended down to all of us. Thats not to say we live like paupers. A lot of us have nice homes and cars, which sounds weird but its more about value and investing. Spend if you want after you're comfortable financially but dont buy pointless stuff and be addicted. But smoking, boozing, drugs, tattoos etc... are all zero except for some of us who drink booze here and there (my parents included).

With my limited money in high school, I'd rather spend it on games, buying clothes at the mall, or being the guy in class who always had a giant pack of Wrigley gum on him. I'm not blowing my cash on smokes.

As for social drinkers, smokers and weeders, hey I got those friends too. But even going back to high school when friends would take that up I never had such pigheaded friends then and now which are like "Hey, if you dont do this stuff with us, get lost". If anyone is that kind of person, fuck em. They arent your friends. And for the friends I have which still smoke cigs or weed, thats ok go ahead. But they know not to do that shit in my house or car. Friends know to respect what the other person does without asking. So if they do that, they know to do that on my porch or not at all when at my place.

And for those social doers who cant go a night without their craving, thats on them. I can survive the night having fun without smokes or getting drunk. No doubt some of them do it on purpose trying to be cool acting like lead partier. Relax. Not everyone wants to be wasted at 7 pm already.

Last edited:

Tams

I'm still here.

What an echo-chamber this thread has become. I feel like I've accidentally stumbled into the purple looney bin.

Go express your views out to the actual public. I bet 8/10 would scoff or laugh in your face. And bear in mind, that if you wanted to actually do all your propositions, you'd need the support of the majority of those people.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I'm still here.

What an echo-chamber this thread has become. I feel like I've accidentally stumbled into the purple looney bin.

Go express your views out to the actual public. I bet 8/10 would scoff or laugh in your face. And bear in mind, that if you wanted to actually do all your propositions, you'd need the support of the majority of those people.

Ah yes, we are the purple loons for exposing how destructive ethanol is and not people who are okay with consuming something that is classified as a Group 1 carcinogen. What's next, you're going to clap when people are eating asbestos for breakfast? Because guess what, asbestos is in the same group.

You can laugh all you want, it's not that we care. WE ARE FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

main-qimg-05378cd3e9607e50546ddd23de1075f6

StueyDuck

Ah yes, we are the purple loons for exposing how destructive ethanol is and not people who are okay with consuming something that is classified as a Group 1 carcinogen. What's next, you're going to clap when people are eating asbestos for breakfast? Because guess what, asbestos is in the same group.

You can laugh all you want, it's not that we care. WE ARE FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

main-qimg-05378cd3e9607e50546ddd23de1075f6
I think youd be shocked at how much of your everyday diet/lifestyle contains carcinogens.

I mean just getting that "charred" meat is essentially full of carcinogens.

Everything in life is about have self control and in moderation, if you going to live your life avoiding things such as carcinogens then enjoy your water (which you cant anymore these days since its filled with toxic plastics) and I guess maybe a couple of steamed veggies.

I have to agree with Tams Tams That this thread (which seems to have nothing to do about Matthew perry anymore) is quite the echo chamber. There's a difference between understanding something is harmful and being radical, radical is what the purple place does

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I think youd be shocked at how much of your everyday diet/lifestyle contains carcinogens.

No, I wouldn't. I've studied the list. I agree that some things cannot be avoided. But if something can be reduced or even better, completely eliminated, then there's no real reason why not to do it.

I mean just getting that "charred" meat is essentially full of carcinogens.

Full of? Excuse me? I believe you don't know the definition of carcinogen. Google it.

Everything in life is about have self control and in moderation, if you going to live your life avoiding things such as carcinogens then enjoy your water (which you cant anymore these days since its filled with toxic plastics) and I guess maybe a couple of steamed veggies.

The difference is you have to drink and you have to eat to live. Just eat non-processed food and you'll be golden. It's actually super easy. Water and a couple of veggies? This is over exaggerating to the extreme. And when it comes to this topic, using extremes is just dumb.

I have to agree with Tams Tams That this thread (which seems to have nothing to do about Matthew perry anymore) is quite the echo chamber. There's a difference between understanding something is harmful and being radical, radical is what the purple place does

Nothing radical about wanting to educate the public and promoting healthy lifestyle. If you're finding this radical then I'm sorry but you are weak and fragile. Radical would be imposing prohibition but nobody here is advocating for it.

StueyDuck

No, I wouldn't. I've studied the list. I agree that some things cannot be avoided. But if something can be reduced or even better, completely eliminated, then there's no real reason why not to do it.

Full of? Excuse me? I believe you don't know the definition of carcinogen. Google it.

The difference is you have to drink and you have to eat to live. Just eat non-processed food and you'll be golden. It's actually super easy. Water and a couple of veggies? This is over exaggerating to the extreme. And when it comes to this topic, using extremes is just dumb.

Nothing radical about wanting to educate the public and promoting healthy lifestyle. If you're finding this radical then I'm sorry but you are weak and fragile. Radical would be imposing prohibition but nobody here is advocating for it.
Lol I guess a carcinogen is only important when it's part of the thing you have a personal problem with 🤣

Mate life is full of carcinogens. There's more reasons to live healthy than purely carcinogens and unfortunately if you want to live truly healthy you are going to have to live balanced life. Everything has a good and a bad. Some of the comments here acting like having a glass of wine is as bad as overdosing on fentanyl are a little ridiculous.

Hmm calling people weak and fragile because they don't 100% stand on your side... yeah what could be radical about that 🤣😉.

There's a difference between letting someone know the health impact of something (which by the way you aren't surprising anyone, I don't think anyone woke up from a tequila hangover and thought wow that was so healthy) and being radical and overboard, this thread is talking about banning alcohol. That's pretty damn radical, especially when again, this thread is meant to be about the passing of Matthew perry, not how alcohol makes you mad

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Hmm calling people weak and fragile because they don't 100% stand on your side... yeah what could be radical about that 🤣😉.

No man, I'm calling you weak and fragile because you view opinions here as 'radical'. When in reality opinions here are 100% reasonable and promote healthy lifestyle and education of general public. And yeah, if you consider that 'radical', then you are weak and fragile. It has nothing to do about being on 'my' side.

As of the rest of your diarrhea of the post, I'm not even going waste my time to response as it seems you have problems with reading comprehension. Good day to you, sir.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm still here.

Just because your opinion isn't the most popular doesn't make this an echo chamber.

Do you really feel like you're in a looney bin? For some common sense suggestions? Really, Tams? I thought you could handle an adult debate.

I'm not calling for a total ban on alcohol. That's never going to work. However, it should be treated the same way we treat cigarettes. Sell it in plain packaging, ban alcohol advertising and provide more education on the dangers.

What's wrong with these suggestions that make you think this is some kind of communist take over?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just because your opinion isn't the most popular doesn't make this an echo chamber.

Do you really feel like you're in a looney bin? For some common sense suggestions? Really, Tams? I thought you could handle an adult debate.

I'm not calling for a total ban on alcohol. That's never going to work. However, it should be treated the same way we treat cigarettes. Sell it in plain packaging, ban alcohol advertising and provide more education on the dangers.

What's wrong with these suggestions that make you think this is some kind of communist take over?
I agree.

Alcohol companies must have an iron fist on the government because cigarette companies got regulated to the nines, but booze companies barely.

If anything booze should be the one under harsher regulations because people get drunk, car crashes, beat their family, bar fights you name it. I dont think you hear about too many cases of a smoker being intoxicated and driving into a tree or being wasted abusing their wife and kids. At least with smokes, it's limited a lot more to the individual. Ya there's second hand smoke that can affect people and smoking indoors stinks up the house and everyone's clothes, but it's not the drawbacks of a drunk.

Pakoe

I just finished his book and at the end he said that he wasn't using anymore and it looked like he finally had a breakthrough.
Reading that he was still using and died of it makes it kind of extra sad. He really had issues and no answers for it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Interestingly enough, alcohol is falling out of favor with the younger kids:

I'm thinking a part of it is the young generation doesn't seem to get out of the house as much, so they wont be drinking at pubs or clubs with friends. I dont see a lot of them boozing it at home in front of parents. And if so, at a more controlled state. Coupled with young people staying home longer due to housing costs and to me it seems like a natural way to cut down on drinking alcohol.

Ownage

I drink on occasion... I don't like getting drunk so I actively stop at a certain point. Get the buzz and cut off from there.

Funny thing is, I don't drink when I'm having an anxiety moment... I do it when I'm already relaxed if I'm out (meaning with friends). I remember one time I had quite a few drinks... Then I had some water and sobered up a bit. Thankfully I didn't get sick. That's something I HATE! I try to avoid it if I'm drinking. I'll usually stop at two and call it a night on that. Very rarely will I drink more than 2 and I splice it up with water or Sprite.

Believe it or not, I actually like the taste of some drinks. Strongbow for instance.

But anyway... I wished that Mr. Perry had lived and not gone out that way. :(
The older you get, the harder it is to shake a hangover. At some point, you'll choose whether drinking is even worth it. For me, the whole body feeling of being "clean" is really pleasant. I find stronger and faster mental clarity, a balanced mood, and knowledge that I don't have to work twice as hard to appear "normal" (trying to disguise being hungover) as way more desirable.

That being said, I do appreciate occasions with a Laphroig or such.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Back in the Middle Ages, folks drank alcoholic ale as there was no fresh water. I understand and see what you mean, but

The older you get, the harder it is to shake a hangover. At some point, you'll choose whether drinking is even worth it. For me, the whole body feeling of being "clean" is really pleasant. I find stronger and faster mental clarity, a balanced mood, and knowledge that I don't have to work twice as hard to appear "normal" (trying to disguise being hungover) as way more desirable.

That being said, I do appreciate occasions with a Laphroig or such.
I dont drink much. And cant even remember last time I was drunk. But I always have booze at my place when people come over.

Never the less, I dont see the appeal of being buzzed and passed out. I can see it being hilarious during college partying days where everyone is doing dumb fun, but once you pass college and university, being a drunk is frowned upon. At least across everyone I hang out with and fam. I still know people who get plastered and puke on the floor from getting shitfaced at 50 years old. If this was university, it might be funny. But now, were all like... "Dude, control yourself". And every person I've known being a total drunk at a work function, good luck with your career. Career limiting move especially when you dont even show up the next day! LOL

Since I'm sober I enjoy watching and remember people's stupidity. For example, I'll remember the people barfing and bring it up for laughs. The barfers dont remember half the time and are embarrassed.

Then you got the drunk people who dont barf or act stupid. But by 7 pm there are already half passed out. Dinner just ended and they are already ready for bed. lol

Last edited:

Tams

To educate, you have to not preach, else people don't listen or tell you to fuck off.

Only the 'converted' and faithful like preaching. It convinces no one, as it just makes you come across as a condescending prick.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
To educate, you have to not preach, else people don't listen or tell you to fuck off.

Only the 'converted' and faithful like preaching. It convinces no one, as it just makes you come across as a condescending prick.

Like I care. If posting facts = preaching then I don't even know what else I can tell you. Anyway, waste of time.

bender

What time is it?
I agree.

Alcohol companies must have an iron fist on the government because cigarette companies got regulated to the nines, but booze companies barely.

If anything booze should be the one under harsher regulations because people get drunk, car crashes, beat their family, bar fights you name it. I dont think you hear about too many cases of a smoker being intoxicated and driving into a tree or being wasted abusing their wife and kids. At least with smokes, it's limited a lot more to the individual. Ya there's second hand smoke that can affect people and smoking indoors stinks up the house and everyone's clothes, but it's not the drawbacks of a drunk.

Prohibition has been tried. Drunk driving and domestic violence laws are also stricter and more enforced than ever. Not that alcohol is exempt from this, but smoking can out a long term burden on health care systems. And that's not me advocating one way or the other.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I dont drink much. And cant even remember last time I was drunk. But I always have booze at my place when people come over.

Never the less, I dont see the appeal of being buzzed and passed out. I can see it being hilarious during college partying days where everyone is doing dumb fun, but once you pass college and university, being a drunk is frowned upon. At least across everyone I hang out with and fam. I still know people who get plastered and puke on the floor from getting shitfaced at 50 years old. If this was university, it might be funny. But now, were all like... "Dude, control yourself". And every person I've known being a total drunk at a work function, good luck with your career. Career limiting move especially when you dont even show up the next day! LOL

Since I'm sober I enjoy watching and remember people's stupidity. For example, I'll remember the people barfing and bring it up for laughs. The barfers dont remember half the time and are embarrassed.

Then you got the drunk people who dont barf or act stupid. But by 7 pm there are already half passed out. Dinner just ended and they are already ready for bed. lol
There’s a whole difference between being buzzed and being drunk. And I don’t like being drunk

I didn’t start drinking until I was in my 30s because I believed having even one drink would make you drunk.

The first time I was drunk, was at a party in South Beach at our magazine launch (We were small magazine, trying to go bigger than we were) with Kim Kardashian and I was there on an empty stomach but at least I remember everything and I mostly had fun (stupid security guards). The second time that happened was worse lol… it was at my 34th birthday party and, again, I was there on an empty stomach and had two tequila and sprites and quick succession, thinking it would be like the first time. But no I don’t remember very much of that night. I didn’t get sick, but I like remembering things especially the kind of night Everyone said I had. I had to lighten up and start eating before drinking and not drink so much. Like I said, I don’t drink that often but when I do I try to make sure that I don’t get drunk. Just buzzed and cut off.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Can we at least agree on these basic facts?

Alcohol in most quantities is bad for your health.
Alcohol in moderate quantities can lift your mood, but in large quantities can lead to negative behavior.
Alcohol has a higher potential for addiction and abuse than most other consumption goods.
Low ABV alcoholic drinks has been a large part of human civilization and culture for a very long time.
High ABV alcoholic drinks has been a small part of human civilization and culture for a relatively short amount of time.
The demand for alcohol is high.
Prohibition of alcohol, AKA banning alcohol, historically has not worked because it caused greater problems than it solved.

Bojji

Alcohol has no good aspects to it, probably only good for killing bacteria or make some cosmetics with it. It all starts innocently, few beers here and there etc. but gets bad pretty quickly, same was true for Matthew (RIP).

I did full blood test few months ago and it showed that my liver, heart and kidneys are in ok condition, it's hard to believe after 10 years of heavy drinking but I'm glad I stopped in the right time. It can get really bad:

^ some of those scenes could be filmed with me

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Because they are.

Here, have 5ml of 2% ethanol solution. Tell me that's not safe.

Any substance can be a poison or a medicine or completely benign. It all depends on the dosage.

You think you're smart by giving none-sensical example like this but you are not. Of course this is not what you've mean in your original post by "most quantities". By some quantities being safe you were trying to say "a few beers now and then... a glass of wine with dinner... or something else if occasion is grand". Let's be real. C'mon now.

Now I don't know who to follow regarding my health. You or peer-reviewed medical journal like The Lancet. Hard choice.

Alcohol use is a leading risk factor for disease burden worldwide, accounting for nearly 10% of global deaths among populations aged 15–49 years, and poses dire ramifications for future population health in the absence of policy action today. The widely held view of the health benefits of alcohol needs revising, particularly as improved methods and analyses continue to show how much alcohol use contributes to global death and disability. Our results show that the safest level of drinking is none.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You think you're smart by giving none-sensical example like this but you are not.

I don't think I'm smart. I'm just stating facts. They also made perfect sense.

Of course this is not what you've mean in your original post by "most quantities".

You sure about that? You a mind reader? Because that's exactly what I wrote and that's exactly what I meant.

By some quantities being safe you were trying to say "a few beers now and then... a glass of wine with dinner... or something else if occasion is grand". Let's be real. C'mon now.

Let me tell you what I meant: Alcohol in most quantities is bad for your health.

I hope that clears things up.

By some quantities being safe you were trying to say "a few beers now and then... a glass of wine with dinner... or something else if occasion is grand". Let's be real. C'mon now.

I plugged your sentence into a plagiarism detection program and cross referenced it with my sentence. Not the same.

Now I don't know who to follow regarding my health. You or peer-reviewed medical journal like The Lancet. Hard choice.

Don't follow me for health advice. I'm just a hamster pimp. You should follow a qualified doctor or nutritionist.

Cool study. I agree with it. It's good to have stronger evidence that the urban myth about certain kinds of moderate alcohol consumption having some health benefit was not accurate. It also doesn't contradict what I said.

This: "Alcohol in most quantities is bad for your health." (what I said)

Is different from this: "There's no such thing as good/safe quantity. Oops." (what you said)

Which is also not necessarily the same as this: "Based on weighted relative risk curves for each health outcome associated with alcohol use, the level of consumption that minimises health loss due to alcohol use is zero." (what the study said)

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I don't think I'm smart. I'm just stating facts. They also made perfect sense.

You sure about that? You a mind reader? Because that's exactly what I wrote and that's exactly what I meant.

Let me tell you what I meant: Alcohol in most quantities is bad for your health.

I hope that clears things up.

I plugged your sentence into a plagiarism detection program and cross referenced it with my sentence. Not the same.

Don't follow me for health advice. I'm just a hamster pimp. You should follow a qualified doctor or nutritionist.

Cool study. I agree with it. It's good to have stronger evidence that the urban myth about certain kinds of moderate alcohol consumption having some health benefit was not accurate. It also doesn't contradict what I said.

This: "Alcohol in most quantities is bad for your health." (what I said)

Is different from this: "There's no such thing as good/safe quantity. Oops." (what you said)

Which is also not necessarily the same as this: "Based on weighted relative risk curves for each health outcome associated with alcohol use, the level of consumption that minimises health loss due to alcohol use is zero." (what the study said)

Just as I thought, now you’re acting dumb. Bravo.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Just as I thought, now you’re acting dumb. Bravo.

I'm glad you took the time and effort to write out a scientifically rigorous and thoughtful response to my thoughtful response that I spent 5 minutes on because I respect you and the topic of conversation that we are having.

Top Bottom