• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frustrated at Jack Thompson? Join the "Flowers For Jack" movement!

goodcow

http://flowersforjack.livejournal.com/

Yes, this is real, my friend is behind it, and it's picking up steam with $483+ in donations so far. You can read the details there, but as a quick summary:

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/01/23/flowers-for-jack-if-you-cant-beat-him-send-him-pretty-things/

Flowers for Jack: If you can't beat him, send him pretty things
Posted Jan 23rd 2006 11:00PM by Ross Miller
Filed under: Culture

Sure, you many not like Jack Thompson - you quite possibly downright loathe him (many Joystiq comments have expressed such strong emotions) - but every Grinch has a a beating heart, just waiting to be warmed. A group on LiveJournal, Flowers for Jack, wants to do just that.

With all the money they collect ($483.16 as of tonight), Flowers for Jack will send anti-game activist Jack Thompson the largest bushel of "pretty, pretty flowers" to him possible, along with this letter, signed by anyone who wishes to add their name. The letter, while not finished, will "touch (but not aggravate with)" the following:

- Some sort of apology for the less-cordial correspondences he gets from less mature gamers.
- Finding his proper stated agenda (keep violence from children, or ban games entirely?)
- The word Pixelante, and how its being used now.
- His overall stance on the NIMF (He badmouthed them soon after they sent him the C&D, but they still have similar agendas)
- Presidential candidancy in 2008: just a rumor?
- what we can do to maintain lines of serious dialogue with him?

Those who wish to be added to the letter can send their information (first name, last name, city, state, country, and so on) to flowersforjack@gmail.com. If you are willing to donate any money to the cause, as well, click on one of the "make a donation" links scattered about their main page. Their mission is to be both "civil and silly" - nothing wrong with that.

[Thanks, Brody Brooks and Andy]

Gattsu25

Banned
I'd rather send him improperly refrigerated bodily fluids

not mine though...get a contribution from a vast number of people, mix them all well in a bucket and try not to spill the entire thing on his front door

Xdrive05

I don't really see the point.

He's probably just going to turn them in to the police for an Anthrax check anyway.

Odysseus

Banned
What's to be frustrated about? He's just an obnoxious loudmouth in a sea of obnoxious loudmouths. He can't do anything of substance.

In that sense, he's like a bunch of whiny forumdwellers.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Xdrive05 said:

He's probably just going to turn them in to the police for an Anthrax check anyway.

Wait a minute, you might be on to something here...

Gattsu25

Banned
I honestly don't care about the guy

he has no power except the ability to sway the opinion of the overly ignorant

oh shit...

shuri

Banned
Use the money and buy flowers for a retirement home instead. This 'oh i hate jack thomson' bs is almost as annoying as the Chuck Norris fad

demi

Your friend isn't very bright...

We have cancer research donations

We have food for the homeless donations

We have Child's Play / Toys for Tots donations

We have blood donations

And we have flowers for jack thompson donations

Fuck off.

Ecrofirt

demi said:

We have blood donations

Fuck off.

I agree with demi

demi

We are setting our final goal at $650.00. Its VERY doable, and not too far off. We <b>close donations for this cause at 11:30pm eastern time tomorrow,</b> Tuesday night, at the mark of 72 hours of Flowers For Jack. Any donations <b>over the $650 goal or made after 11:30pm will be donated to Gabe and Tycho's Child's Play.</b> In Jack's name, no less.

One step forward, two steps back.

123rl

Either he'll sue your friends for harassment, or he'll just throw the flowers in the bin. Either way it's a waste of time and money, and sounds like a stupid publicity stunt. Do as Demi says and just give the money to a worthy cause ie to someone or something that actually deserves attention like Cancer Research or feeding the homeless

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
isn't this guy out the spot light now anyway? I haven't heard about him for months until i read this. why must people bring him back to everyone's attention?

ShowDog

This sounds like a terrible idea. Basically it's encouraging that idiot, Jack Thompson, to continue his quest with your support. I would rather he just disappear.

I too agree with demi, along with these folks...

Dr_Cogent said:
Seems like a colossal waste of money to me.

Xdrive05 said:

Scrow said:
isn't this guy out the spot light now anyway? I haven't heard about him for months until i read this. why must people bring him back to everyone's attention?

Kintaco

demi said:

We have blood donations

Fuck off.

QFT, why waste money on this tool? This is an idiotic idea.

GeNoMe

pa_jack.jpg

[soupnazi mode]No flowers for you!!![/soupnazi mode]

Xdrive05

There's probably about... three people in my major city that even know who Jack Thompson is. Wearing that shirt would do nothing more than make the wearer seem like a bonefied asshole.

Jewbacca

Banned
123rl said:
Either he'll sue your friends for harassment, or he'll just throw the flowers in the bin. Either way it's a waste of time and money, and sounds like a stupid publicity stunt. Do as Demi says and just give the money to a worthy cause ie to someone or something that actually deserves attention like Cancer Research or feeding the homeless

fuck the homeless, however I do agree to donating to other organizations... but not to the homeless.

Top Bottom