• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fullscreen age...how to get rid of stupid black bars on ps3 game (dead space)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zilch

Banned
pizzaguysrevenge said:
What you're doing is comparable to buying a Ferrari and pushing it around town completely oblivious to the fact that gas makes it go vroom vroom.

It's more like buying a $2000 guitar and plugging it into a little practice amp.

spwolf

MrHicks said:
fucking hell i suck at tech stuff
ima order one right now

but dont EARLIER xbox360's dont have an hdmi port?
how does that work then

congrats dude, congrats... merry xmas... :D

TJ Spyke

scoobs said:
the cables that come with it aren't HD cables. Thats why it doesn't fit the entire screen, i recommend going out and getting an HDMI cable ASAP!

This isn't it, unless you mean just for Dead Space. I have 2 PS3 games (LittleBigPlanet and The Eye of Judgment). For the first few days I had a PS3 I was using the composite cables that come with it, but the games still filled my HDTV screen.

MrHicks, the Xbox 360 actually comes with component cables (the PS3 only comes with composite cables).

Baron

I am seriously confounded as to how someone could be running a PS3 on an HDTV with composite cables and think everything was A-OK with their picture output.

My 60-year old parents know how to set up an HD cable box with their HDTV. You must have...troubles...with some thought-intensive tasks.

Thrakier

MrHicks said:
soooo are the xbox360's standard cables also shit?
cause ive been using them too.....

Depends on which version you bought. With the component cables you get at least an HD signal.

@OP

Unbelievable. Just...unbelievable. Did you never notice that your games look much shittier than all those great HD videos you saw in the internetz? :D

MrHicks said:
Arcade pack (might have changed now) only features SD cables, but the pro and above have a cable that let's you set up for SD and HD via component (Red, green and blue colour cables, then a red and white for sound, yellow being left spare only for SD useage)

Please do tell us how your 360 is set up, cable wise, plugged into the tv.

Darkpen

Banned
MrHicks said:
do you have the yellow cable plugged in, or the green/red/blue, with video settings at 720p?

wow prepare for amazement when you do get it hooked up in HD, make sure you know what your TV supports, (720p, 1080i, 1080p) so you get the best picture you can.

MrHicks

Banned
Darkpen said:
do you have the yellow cable plugged in, or the green/red/blue, with video settings at 720p?

every plug from the standard 360 cable is plugged in and the slider thing set to HDTV
i have screen and sound so i think im good?

knitoe

MrHicks said:
every plug from the standard 360 cable is plugged in and the slider thing set to HDTV
Yellow cable doesn't need to be plugged in. In X360 "System" settings, what's TV set at? Should say "720p" "Widescreen." If not, select it.

theultimo

MrHicks said:
You connect with the 3 green/red/blue or the composite? Make sure your setting are correct in the dashboard too, otherwise your 480p at best.

MrHicks

Banned
theultimo said:
You connect with the 3 green/red/blue or the composite? Make sure your setting are correct in the dashboard too, otherwise your 480p at best.

BOTH
the green/red/blue is plugged and the white/red/yellow
everything that is plugable ive plugged in basicly

Darkpen

Banned
MrHicks said:
remove the yellow cable, set the dip switch to HD on the cable, and set your 360 to 720p and widescreen

Chris R

MrHicks said:
BOTH
the green/red/blue is plugged and the white/red/yellow
everything that is plugable ive plugged in basicly
facepalm.jpg

I could understand if you were color blind, but that is one of the reasons the put the colors on the cables to begin with. Green goes to green, red goes to red, blue goes to blue, ect.

MrHicks

Banned
rhfb said:
facepalm.jpg

I could understand if you were color blind, but that is one of the reasons the put the colors on the cables to begin with. Green goes to green, red goes to red, blue goes to blue, ect.

thats what i did
but then theres 3 plugs left (red,white,yellow)
so i just dont plug those?

homez99

After this and some of the horror stories this Christmas I can't stand it anymore, we need a Cable-Age thread stat! People are playing games in complete stupid-vision and worst of all, they have no idea :(

MrHicks said:
thats what i did
but then theres 3 plugs left (red,white,yellow)
so i just dont plug those?

The red and white are audio. The Yellow is component (ugly shitty shit), and the Red Blue Green are composite (pretty nice, yes?).

edit: boo beaten.

MrHicks

Banned
theultimo said:
Red and White is audio.

Just don't plug in the yellow.

so the correct setup for 360 cable is

--------------------------------------------
the green,red,blue bundle
totally plugged in

the red,white,yellow bundle
red and white plugged
yellow not plugged
-------------------------------------------

correct?

TouchMyBox said:
The red and white are audio. The Yellow is component (ugly shitty shit), and the Red Blue Green are composite (pretty nice, yes?).

edit: boo beaten.
You have your component/composites mixed up
MrHicks said:

totally plugged in

red and white plugged
yellow not plugged

correct?
yes!

No wonder this guy is on my ignore list. This has to be a joke post. I mean I can't understand why none of the cables provided fit in the antenna hole...

jett

D-Member
How can you not notice that the image was stretched? How? I can almost understand not seeing the SD/HD differences...but this? THIS?

Omikaru

MrHicks said:

totally plugged in

red and white plugged
yellow not plugged

correct?
Yes, and remember also to flip the little switch on the TV cable (console side) if you haven't already. One of the sides of the switch says "HDTV" and the other "TV" or "SDTV" (I can't remember which, but it doesn't matter), make sure it's set to HDTV, then go into your system settings and make sure your console is outputting in 720p and Widescreen.

As for PS3, it's a bit easier. Plug the HDMI into your PS3 and TV, go into the display settings and let your console do it for you automatically; it should detect your TV's resolution and set it all up for you. :D

Have fun!

UraMallas

MrHicks said:

totally plugged in

red and white plugged
yellow not plugged

correct?
Correct. And now that you've done all that, make sure two things are going on:

1. You have your 360 and TV set to a high definition setting. 720p or higher.
2. You have turned the little switch on the Xbox 360 video cable to HDTV instead of TV. It's very hard to see, it should be on the little gray area that plugs into the 360. If your 360 is flat against the table look directly down and behind it and you should see it.

MrHicks

Banned
Omikaru said:
Yes, and remember also to flip the little switch on the TV cable (console side) if you haven't already. One of the sides of the switch says "HDTV" and the other "SDTV", make sure it's set to HDTV, then go into your system settings and make sure your console is outputting in 720p and Widescreen.

As for PS3, it's a bit easier. Plug the HDMI into your PS3 and TV, go into the display settings and let your console do it for you automatically; it should detect your TV's resolution and set it all up for you. :D

Have fun!

thank you kind sir
gonna do that right now (the 360 one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom