• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fullscreen age...how to get rid of stupid black bars on ps3 game (dead space)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I await the inevitable "I can't tell the difference" post. 16:9 is hardly uglymode. At least, if he were using something more than friggin composite...

Son of Godzilla said:
I await the inevitable "I can't tell the difference" post. 16:9 is hardly uglymode. At least, if he were using something more than friggin composite...

Not being able to tell the difference between 4:3 480i stretched-to-fit, and a pure 16:9 720/1080 feed? Impossible.

This is the one instance where Dead Rising would've honestly made someone's life better. Super small text would force everyone out of the SD gaming ghetto. :lol

Tntnnbltn

Keyser Soze said:
My mom would prove you wrong
Last night I changed a friend's tv from 4:3 stretched to 16:9 native (SD source). Today her sister complained that now everyone looks funny and she wants me to change it back. :-/

Darkpen

Banned
Tntnnbltn said:
Last night I changed a friend's tv from 4:3 stretched to 16:9 native (SD source). Today her sister complained that now everyone looks funny and she wants me to change it back. :-/
I hope you didn't. I hate it when I walk into any restaurant where they're showing SD content stretched on widescreen plasmas, let alone in anyone's home. That shit's a crime.

this guy

While we're asking silly questions, can I ask one too?

I got a new HDTV for my room for Christmas, and it's aspect ratio is 16:10. So that means that the black bars I have when I play my 360 can't be filled without stretching the picture, right? I'm not that bothered by the bars, I'm just curious.

Ydahs

DopeyFish said:
as an added note - go into your TVs settings and turn off DNIe, dynamic contrast, edge correction/smoothing if they're on. they destroy your picture so might as well get it out of the way
Wha?! I have those enabled on my HDTV! Should I only disable it for my PS3 or everything in general?

Darkpen said:
I hope you didn't. I hate it when I walk into any restaurant where they're showing SD content stretched on widescreen plasmas, let alone in anyone's home. That shit's a crime.
The way he wrote it leads me to believe it's the other way around, but is that even possible?

Although, I fully agree with your sentiments. My brother has his SD content stretched and says it looks funny if it's not. If he wasn't bigger and stronger, I'd give him a nice kidney shot to remind him who's boss.

Darkpen

Banned
Ydahs said:
Wha?! I have those enabled on my HDTV! Should I only disable it for my PS3 or everything in general?
preferebly, everything in general. As far as dynamic contrast (or "adaptive luma control", and any other terminology for the same mode) is concerned, it just crushes your blacks, making images look more vivid, but in reality, its just making shit hard to see, especially when it comes to dark areas in videogames. For example, with that mode on, you can barely see the street, or that random item rolling across in the opening moments of DMC4. With it off, you can see the street, paving and all.

If you must, just use it exclusively for movies, especially ones that are generally bright. For dark movies, its just a bad idea.

This is why CRT tvs and Plasmas are generally praised more for better PQ, in contrast to LCD tech.

Just stick with your native contrast ratio.

R Squared said:
The way he wrote it leads me to believe it's the other way around, but is that even possible?

Although, I fully agree with your sentiments. My brother has his SD content stretched and says it looks funny if it's not. If he wasn't bigger and stronger, I'd give him a nice kidney shot to remind him who's boss.
having a zoom function on widescreen sets should be an industry requirement, but its sadly not.

Ydahs

Darkpen said:
preferebly, everything in general. As far as dynamic contrast (or "adaptive luma control", and any other terminology for the same mode) is concerned, it just crushes your blacks, making images look more vivid, but in reality, its just making shit hard to see, especially when it comes to dark areas in videogames. For example, with that mode on, you can barely see the street, or that random item rolling across in the opening moments of DMC4. With it off, you can see the street, paving and all.

If you must, just use it exclusively for movies, especially ones that are generally bright. For dark movies, its just a bad idea.

This is why CRT tvs and Plasmas are generally praised more for better PQ, in contrast to LCD tech.

Just stick with your native contrast ratio.
My TV has the following all set to on/medium/maximum:
- Pixel Plus
- Digital Natural Motion
- Dynamic Contrast
- DNR
- MPEG artefact reduction
- Colour enhancement

So I should just disable them all? There's also something called Active Control.

Tntnnbltn said:
All my relatives who have a widescreen/HDTV still have their cable TV set to 4:3...

Tntnnbltn

R Squared said:
I meant 16:9 widescreen television, which was displaying 4:3 content stretched. Now it's displaying the native 16:9 feed. Basically the OP's scenario.
Ydahs said:
All my relatives who have a widescreen/HDTV still have their cable TV set to 4:3...
I don't understand why everyone can't see that the people are short and fat. :(

-viper-

Banned
I wonder why it has taken so long for a reply from MrHicks. Perhaps he has died from shock after viewing his 360 games in HD?

Proc

2ce2ik6.jpg

Brofist

Slavik81 said:
I'd be curious to know what percentage of Xbox 360 and PS3 owners game in HD. It doesn't seem to be many.

Well it's one thing if the reason is they don't own a HDTV, but for the people that do own one but are using SD settings... :lol

I propose an annual GAF HD-proselytisation pilgrimage. Going door to door, configuring High Def systems. Quick, someone photoshop that awesome smiley on one of those Watchtower pamflets.

Cdammen

This is fucking sad. Or tragically funny. Great that he/she got it sorted out but damn... a GAFer? A GAFer is HD setup illiterate? It's easy as hell to figure out and if you know absolutely nothing you just open up your TVs manual for a simple explanation. But yeah, PS3s should come with a HD compliant cables.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Welcome to the HD era!!!
Where people buy flat screens with shitty contrast and fucked up colors to play cropped 4:3 480i DVDs stretched to 16:9.
We are living the future!

EctoPrime

DKnight said:
Welcome to the HD era!!!
Where people buy flat screens with shitty contrast and fucked up colors to play cropped 4:3 480i DVDs stretched to 16:9.
We are living the future!

Even worse is the amount of people buying cheap supermarket 4:3 lcd monitors with speakers retrofitted with horrible analog tv tuners that run at 800x600 max, thinking that they have made the HD switchover.

AtomicShroom said:
Not being able to tell the difference between 4:3 480i stretched-to-fit, and a pure 16:9 720/1080 feed? Impossible.
It's not stretched to fit, it's merely zoomed. Well, assuming he has the goddamn feed set as widescreen. On a decent TV that won't look horrible.

HUELEN10

Earthpainting said:
I propose an annual GAF HD-proselytisation pilgrimage. Going door to door, configuring High Def systems. Quick, someone photoshop that awesome smiley on one of those Watchtower pamflets.
This actually is not a bad idea...

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ydahs said:

Try switching it on and off and see what you likes best. Some games looks better with it on imho, especially games with a lot of bright colors and cartoony graphics.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
MrHicks said:
ok for all those who asked

its either "Samsung LE26A456" or "Samsung LE26A457"

for some reason the manual mentions both and im not sure which it is then tbh
They are the same TV, the differences are purely cosmetic.

They do it so that retailers don't have to price match because the model numbers are different.

HUELEN10

VOOK said:
If people can't work out their own shit who are we to complain? Fuck em
I was actually thinking of it in a different way Vook. We could use this to gauge how many people are HD-Clueless.

cjelly said:
They are the same TV, the differences are purely cosmetic.

They do it so that retailers don't have to price match because the model numbers are different.
Now this I did not know...

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
HUELEN10 said:
I was actually thinking of it in a different way Vook. We could use this to gauge how many people are HD-Clueless.

People need to learn a bit more basic things then that, maybe someone should teach everyone the difference between Web Hosting and an ISP. That way I wouldn't get 10 people a day ringing me up and saying "We have our website with you, My Internet is not working"

I feel like the guys from the IT Crowd.

Rolf NB

Ydahs said:
Dynamic contrast needs to be off for everything. That is a rule of nature. As for the other stuff, if you like the results, knock yourself out.

HUELEN10

VOOK said:
People need to learn a bit more basic things then that, maybe someone should teach everyone the difference between Web Hosting and an ISP. That way I wouldn't get 10 people a day ringing me up and saying "We have our website with you, My Internet is not working"

I feel like the guys from the IT Crowd.
I know what you mean. One time during my freshman college year, this dumb btch, and I literally mean dumb bitch, went up to me and said that I am a geek and to help her.

I asked her what was wrong, and she said she didn't want AIM anymore, but was afraid to delete her computer.

DELETE HER COMPUTER

She begged me for help, and I was busy and told her to uninstall it herself. Right after that, she tells me I'll make it worthwhile (Yes, offering sex, to a guy she didn't even know. I knew beforehand that she had herpes, she screamed it out loud the dorm, "YES I ONLY HAVE HERPES!"), I said no, she begged and told me she would pay.

Now I asked for no money, but she kept insisting after 20 minutes to pay me, so I uninstall AIM, and she gives me my pay.

It is 80 US Dollars. I was NOT going to charge her, but she insisted and happily went off.

An THAT'S how I got Mario Hoops and Star Fox Command.

Ydahs said:
My TV has the following all set to on/medium/maximum:
- Pixel Plus
- Digital Natural Motion
- Dynamic Contrast
- DNR
- MPEG artefact reduction
- Colour enhancement

So I should just disable them all
yes.

Sean

Banned
I laughed but can't really blame the OP as I'm sure loads of people run into this issue and don't even realize it. HD stuff is just confusing as hell to a non-techie person.

Tntnnbltn

Son of Godzilla said:
It's not stretched to fit, it's merely zoomed. Well, assuming he has the goddamn feed set as widescreen. On a decent TV that won't look horrible.
I assumed it was 4:3 stretched because Dead Space sounds like it's trying to display itself in 4:3 letterboxed (hence the upper and lower black bars). Zoomed wouldn't have that problem with the bars.

windfish

HUELEN10 said:
I know what you mean. One time during my freshman college year, this dumb btch, and I literally mean dumb bitch, went up to me and said that I am a geek and to help her.

I asked her what was wrong, and she said she didn't want AIM anymore, but was afraid to delete her computer.

DELETE HER COMPUTER

She begged me for help, and I was busy and told her to uninstall it herself. Right after that, she tells me I'll make it worthwhile (Yes, offering sex, to a guy she didn't even know. I knew beforehand that she had herpes, she screamed it out loud the dorm, "YES I ONLY HAVE HERPES!"), I said know, she begged and told me she would pay.

Now I asked for no money, but she, insisting after 20 minutes to pay me, so I uninstall, and she gives me my pay.

80 US Dollars. I was NOT going to charge her, but she insisted and happily went off.

An THAT'S how I got Mario Hoops and Star Fox Command.

you really must be a geek for not taking the girl, who cares about herpes! :O

windfish said:
you really must be a geek for not taking the girl, who cares about herpes! :O

I'd think you'd have to be a desperate geek to take up a lady with herpes up on their offer. A real man can have sex with whoever they want!

cryptic

Might as well ask...

I have a trintron 30 inch HDTV and I've got the display mode set to vivid, which is supposed to have increased sharpness and better colors. It really does make my games look better, but for tv I switch back to standard. Is standard the "correct way" or is it all right if I keep things in Vivid mode?

Thanks.

(Sharpness is down all the way in vivid mode since it's for HDTV gaming)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom