• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fullscreen age...how to get rid of stupid black bars on ps3 game (dead space)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
cryptic said:
Might as well ask...

I have a trintron 30 inch HDTV and I've got the display mode set to vivid, which is supposed to have increased sharpness and better colors. It really does make my games look better, but for tv I switch back to standard. Is standard the "correct way" or is it all right if I keep things in Vivid mode?

Thanks.

(Sharpness is down all the way in vivid mode since it's for HDTV gaming)

Keep it on the setting you like the best. It is the "correct way" to have it off but if it looks worse why bother.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
And this kids is how you make a thread backfire *Points to first post*
You must replay Uncharted and MGS4

cakefoo

pizzaguysrevenge said:
Bet you he won't notice any difference.
2.35:1 properly displayed on a 16:9 set will have black bars on the top and bottom. *shh* Don't tell him, I want there to be epic confusion and tinkering with all the zooms and stretch modes. :D

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
I would like to hijack this thread with a question.

I have a 32" Samsung TV. It's an le32r73bd

On PS3, HDMI that is, this DNI-E shit is ruining my life. I can put on a demo where Samsung shows me how wonderful their super sharpening shows off every single pixel, but the "Before" slice of the screen is so much nicer. Everybody's Golf turns from a big lock of jaggy squares to a nice smooth image.

Blu-Rays on the other hand, I can hardly tell the difference!

So I want to turn it off, but there is no menu-based option to turn it off. I guess I need to enter the config menu. Is this a terrible idea, could I fuck up my TV for life?

Anyone had this problem before?

I wonder how many people in the world play HD games on a HDTV with composite cables while they believe they look awesome, or maybe wonder if they should look better.

dock

How come this guy's account got approved and is still active, with barely any signs of punctuation, yet my girlfriend (whom is a games developer) registered on GAF and her account didn't get approved?

It really goes to show that developers need to cater for these people though. So much electrical equipment is set up incorrectly. I've seen people rely upon brand to assume that it will work perfectly together. "I have a Sony TV so it should look great with my PS3"

Mohonky

Philanthropist said:
I wonder how many people in the world play HD games on a HDTV with composite cables while they believe they look awesome, or maybe wonder if they should look better.

A shit load. Of the people playing on HDTV's in actual HD the percentage or users that know what is being scaled and whats native would be even less, even less again however would be those who have any idea of how the image quality should look (people playing with the brightness way beyond what it should because 'they can't see in some area's otherwise').

Articate

Banned
dock said:
How come this guy's account got approved and is still active, with barely any signs of punctuation, yet my girlfriend (<snip>) registered on GAF and her account didn't get approved?

Did she re-register after the queue purge?

EDIT: beaten

Anyway. This thread made my day. Makes not so bad that I put up with my old SD set until October when I got a 40" 1080p set, when I know someone with a 720p set played MGS4 the first time the same way I did - NAY, worse (if strectched or zoomed. oh god).

Thanks!

Chao

Lol, HD era.
It was so easy back then...

The only thing we need next time is: ONE FUCKING STANDARD, PLEASE.

Thread summary:

Opening Post had his PS3 plugged in with composite cables and the system set to 4:3 into a 720p HDTV.

He only noticed a problem with his set up when he played Dead Space, a game that must be played in widescreen. If you are playing on a 4:3 set the game will add borders at the top and bottom to retain the intended 16:9 aspect ratio. There are other games that do this too Fight Night Round 3 being the only other I can think of right now. The OP's PS3 thought it was being played on a 4:3 TV, so it added the borders.

While you wait for your HDMI cable to arrive OP, set your PS3 to 16:9 in the display options. This will let you at least play Dead Space without the borders and other games should not be stretched anymore. Once you cable arrives you will be able to see what the big deal with HD visuals is all about. I recommend MGS4's intro vid/commercial things as a demonstration, they look amazing in HD.

There was plenty of advice on how to make sure that your 360 is set up properly, I would like to know is you had that machine set up properly all along or not. I'd imagine not, since you would have noticed the drastic differences in graphical quality between the PS3 using composite and 360 using HD component.

Tntnnbltn said:
Last night I changed a friend's tv from 4:3 stretched to 16:9 native (SD source). Today her sister complained that now everyone looks funny and she wants me to change it back. :-/

This happened to me too. My friend was so used to seeing the horizontally stretched image that when I fixed it for him, he felt that everything was "too tall" and changed it back after I left. It's sad, I even demonstrated how when he was watching sport on Sky that he was missing parts of the action on either side of the screen, but it made no difference. Some people just wont accept help, or accept that they have been mis-using the HDTV they spent all that money on 8 months earlier.

MrHicks

Banned
ive ejected dead space from the ps3
gonna start over once the cable arrives guys:D

to all those with SD tvs wondering if they should jump into next gen
DO IT!!!

it still looks batshit amazing to me even on composite

jett

D-Member
MrHicks said:

DO IT!!!

:lol I bet games look like complete shit in your HDTV(especially if it's an LCD) compared to my SDTV. :p That will soon change, though.

dalyr95

Many casualties in this HD war, people being too wide, too tall, too pixelated, black bars. The horror, the horror...

NekoFever

Even as much as I love my TV and watching/playing HD stuff on it, it is way more complicated than setting up a TV used to be. Four different HD connection standards (HDMI, DVI, VGA, component) that you have to buy separately when you get a PS3 - seriously, I bought a £50 DVD player that came with two of the damn things so why can't a PS3 even have component? - different resolutions and widescreen settings for different devices; which connections your TV will accept 1080p through, assuming it even will (ditto 720p for older CRT HDTVs); shitty picture processing stuff that's on by default; and usually awful default settings designed to make it look 'vivid' and 'sharp' on a brightly lit shop floor.

Factor in the idiocy of the general public and it's a recipe for disaster.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Goldrusher said:
Why don't you go to a local store ? No Carrefour around ? Has the cable you need for €9,99.

seriously. hdmi cables can be found in any electronic or games store. no need to order one online.

FirewalkR

MrHicks said:

DO IT!!!

Get ready for not believing your eyes as soon as you get the cable then.

And btw, if you can still cancel your amazon.de (iirc) order, do it and go to the nearest tech store or carrefour or similar, and get it NOW.

Edit: and btw an HDMI cable should come with every HDTV. Damned cheapskate manufacturers, even top of the range Bravias didn't have them (last year anyway), meh.

carlosp

Banned
tahrikmili said:
I really can't believe how Sony got away with not including an HD capable AV cable with the PS3..

I heard from a Sony guy (well actually from SOE to be honest) they will change it Q2 2009. I know it is not accurate and I also don't know how much SOE knows about SCE but that's what he told me.

bj00rn_

Banned
MrHicks said:

DO IT!!!

Dead Space sure is one of the best looking games out there.

Osuwari

i feel my knowledge about cables and stuff is wasted at times since the only consoles i have with component cables are a wii and a gc.
i have my dvd recorder plugged in with an hdmi cable and optical cable for audio (receiver won't pick up audio from hdmi lol) since it can upscale dvds and my tv supports 1080i and 720p.
i even turned off the fancy shit my TV has because i noticed things looked weird with that. once i dropped them, things looked better and more like i wanted.

dalyr95 said:
Agreed, Sony need a brief (skipable) intro that goes through the set up process for HD

Not just Sony, every HDTV should come with a dvd or built in video that explains all the connections and features.

RavenFox

Banned
Wow! A legndary thread in the last month of the year no less. I just want to say :lol :lol :lol :lol and thank you OP lol

dazed808

McBacon said:
I would like to hijack this thread with a question.

I have a 32" Samsung TV. It's an le32r73bd

On PS3, HDMI that is, this DNI-E shit is ruining my life. I can put on a demo where Samsung shows me how wonderful their super sharpening shows off every single pixel, but the "Before" slice of the screen is so much nicer. Everybody's Golf turns from a big lock of jaggy squares to a nice smooth image.

Blu-Rays on the other hand, I can hardly tell the difference!

So I want to turn it off, but there is no menu-based option to turn it off. I guess I need to enter the config menu. Is this a terrible idea, could I fuck up my TV for life?

Anyone had this problem before?

I had a later model Samsung and the DNI option turned everything to shit but mine at least had a menu option to turn it off and it made a hell of a difference.
Think your gonna have to go into the service menu which is a little scary but as long as you stick to instructions you will be fine - try these - http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=477910

HUELEN10

windfish said:
you really must be a geek for not taking the girl, who cares about herpes! :O
You'd rather fuck a girl with an STD instead of getting 2 Video Game? How sad. Purposely putting yourself in a position to get an STD? Dude...

AndresON777

shooting blanks
HUELEN10 said:
You'd rather fuck a girl with an STD then get 2 Video Game? How sad. Purposely putting yourself in a position to get an STD? Dude...

Yeah not for herpes. It's hard to tell if they're having an outbreak atm.

If it was something like gonorrhea, I might take the offer up since I have great medical.

MrHicks said:

DO IT!!!

This just blows my mind and I have lost faith in humanity once again.

It goes to show you that if you tell someone something is good/better, they will believe it.

Dude... stretched SD on a huge 1080p set looks way, way, way worse than it would on an SDTV...

I give up.

Anyway what's your impression of the 360 now that you have it hooked up right?

M3wThr33

Banned
All those special ports and you figure the yellow cable which we've been using for years is good enough? Shit, son, you don't DESERVE HD.

LCfiner

these threads make me cry because I know there must thousands upon thousands of people who have it set up all wrong and don't bother to ask to get it fixed.

MrHicks

Banned
Arpharmd B said:
This just blows my mind and I have lost faith in humanity once again.

It goes to show you that if you tell someone something is good/better, they will believe it.

Dude... stretched SD on a huge 1080p set looks way, way, way worse than it would on an SDTV...

I give up.

Anyway what's your impression of the 360 now that you have it hooked up right?

finished all my 360 games loooong before this so i wouldnt know

Schrade

MrHicks said:
finished all my 360 games loooong before this so i wouldnt know
I think trying to help this guy is useless. If he can't even see the difference in the UI with HD...there's no hope.

MrHicks

Banned
Schrade said:
I think trying to help this guy is useless. If he can't even see the difference in the UI with HD...there's no hope.

well MAYBE i was playing 360 games in HD all along
since everything was plugged in correctly
i just had plugged in EVERYTHING from the 360 cable

which means the only difference is i had also plugged in the "yellow" plug from the "yellow,white,red" bundle (now the yellow isnt plugged anymore)

dunno if also plugging in the yellow with the rest correct turns it SD
someone know this?

HUELEN10

MrHicks said:
well MAYBE i was playing 360 games in HD all along
since everything was plugged in correctly
i just had plugged in EVERYTHING from the 360 cable

which means the only difference is i had also plugged in the "yellow" plug from the "yellow,white,red" bundle (now the yellow isnt plugged anymore)

dunno if also plugging in the yellow with the rest correct turns it SD
someone know this?
Tell me, the switch on the cable itself, is it switched on HD or SD?

There IS a switch.

BE TRUTHFUL DAMMIT!

Zoltrix

Okay now I'm worried that I'm doing it wrong too. What's the difference between HDMI cables and the R/G/B wires (component?) I'm using with my 360? I am playing in HD, right...?

MrHicks

Banned
ChrisGoldstein said:
Dont you have a digital camera? take a pic so we can see if you have been playing in hd on the 360

not near me atm
OK here was my old setup (you can tell if it was sd or not then)

Bundle Nr1
The red,blue,green ones
these were plugged in correctly

Bundle Nr2
The red,white,yellow ones
for this bundle the 360 came with a SCART plug for these
images

so i plug all 3 plugs into the scart and stick it into the back of the tv

So basicly Nr1 all plugged in correct and Nr2 all plugged in through SCART plug

would this have given me SD or HD?
cause thats the setup i played my library on

Status