• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fullscreen age...how to get rid of stupid black bars on ps3 game (dead space)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
scoobs said:
the cables that come with it aren't HD cables. Thats why it doesn't fit the entire screen, i recommend going out and getting an HDMI cable ASAP!

Wait, what? :lol

Omikaru

pizzaguysrevenge said:
This is almost as bad as when my uncle paid $300 for 5.1 Surround and lined up all five speakers right next to each other on the TV stand.
:lol :lol :lol

One of my mates has a 7.1 speaker system which he's had stuck up around his room willy-nilly, all of them dangling from the ceiling. Whilst they're "surrounding" him they're set up totally wrong. And to make matters worse, the signal he's feeding them is stereo.

The sad fact is that he's too arrogant to take my advice on how to set them up properly. He's all, "Oh they sound fine as they are." He doesn't understand that he may as well have just bought a far less expensive set for what he's using them for! :lol

At least the OP can rectify his problem fairly easily.

MWS Natural said:
:lol :lol
People are ignorant about everything.

My cousin still refuses to believe me when I tell him that Filet Mignon is part of a Porterhouse. He insists that I'm an idiot for ordering Porterhouse over Filet.

Yes, I am an elitist in the making.

Bodom78

GAF has some great official threads for game titles. I think it would be great if the forum had a stickied thread on the in's and out's of HD console setups. I'm sure there are lots of people in the same boat.

MrHicks

Banned
ok for all those who asked

its either "Samsung LE26A456" or "Samsung LE26A457"

for some reason the manual mentions both and im not sure which it is then tbh

Omikaru

MrHicks said:
ok for all those who asked

its either "Samsung LE26A456" or "Samsung LE26A457"

for some reason the manual mentions both and im not sure which it is then tbh
If that's the case, then both of those will certainly have HDMI on them. :D

From what I gather, they're pretty much the same set. Was this the Samsung model/range that some stores in Europe had an exclusive version of (like some gimmicky alternate exterior lighting or gloss that was exclusive to some stores), thus the different number?

Either way, it'll have HDMI on it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
as an added note - go into your TVs settings and turn off DNIe, dynamic contrast, edge correction/smoothing if they're on. they destroy your picture so might as well get it out of the way

MrHicks

Banned
Omikaru said:
If that's the case, then both of those will certainly have HDMI on them. :D

From what I gather, they're pretty much the same set. Was this the Samsung model/range that some stores in Europe had an exclusive version of (like some gimmicky alternate exterior lighting or gloss that was exclusive to some stores), thus the different number?

Either way, it'll have HDMI on it.

dunno about that hehe
it says "series 4" on the manual if that helps

zyizqg.jpg

Piano

Banned
OP. I also have a 720p Samsung LCD.

Aside from using composite cables (seriously, what?), the black bars at the top and bottom are probably because the tv is actually 16:10, not16:9. You're not losing anything because of this - the 16:9 area is 720p, they just added more pixels above and below it to make the TV a slightly higher overall resolution for whatever reason. If you look on the remote of your tv there should be a button to cycle through picture options - I opt to zoom in to fill the screen and slightly cut off the edges of the picture (usually doesn't affect anything).

TheEastonator said:
OP. I also have a 720p Samsung LCD.

Aside from using composite cables (seriously, what?), the black bars at the top and bottom are probably because the tv is actually 16:10, not16:9. You're not losing anything because of this - the 16:9 area is 720p, they just added more pixels above and below it to make the TV a slightly higher overall resolution for whatever reason. If you look on the remote of your tv there should be a button to cycle through picture options - I opt to zoom in to fill the screen and slightly cut off the edges of the picture (usually doesn't affect anything).
Don't confuse him. He has a 16:9 set. Your TV is different.

Wait, so the OP made a thread about how its not worthwhile getting a 1080p tv set, all the while he didnt even know what cables to use with his PS3? Hooo boy.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
pizzaguysrevenge said:
Widescreen computer monitors are almost all 16:10.

They really should call it 8:5 instead

Oh, that makes sense now...

I think they don't because like Xbox 360 > Xbox 2, it sounds bigger/better.

Lastone

Neo Member
pizzaguysrevenge said:
Widescreen computer monitors are almost all 16:10.

They really should call it 8:5 instead

They really should call it 1.6:1 i.e. the golden ratio. Or as close as they care to get.

Uncle AJ

Aww come on lay off him guys, we've all been there before.

What happened to that Hi-Def thread that was stickied at the top of the forum for over a year?

neoism

MrHicks said:
im currently playing dead space on my samsung 720p hdtv and i have stupid black bars at the top and bottom of the screen
1zge0jo.jpg

obviously im doing something wrong here in my ps3 settings or wathever it is
my ps3 is hooked up with the cables that come standard with it
(dunno what you call them but maybe thats important to figure out the prob)

halp
sinkface.jpg

Mo the Hawk said:
Aww come on lay off him guys, we've all been there before.

What happened to that Hi-Def thread that was stickied at the top of the forum for over a year?
No, no we haven't.

This thread makes my head spin.

NYR

Playing HD games in SD - ouch!! Time to re-play your games, you missed out of this console gen...

HUELEN10

pizzaguysrevenge said:
This is almost as bad as when my uncle paid $300 for 5.1 Surround and lined up all five speakers right next to each other on the TV stand.
HOLY SHIT!

OP must be on some goofballs, cause he accidentally the whole thing!

McLovin

Wow are you in for a surprise when you get the right cables :lol
Edit- OP is gonna have to replay Uncharted and MGS4. Trust me you didn't play those games the first time through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom