• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fuse (Insomniac's Overstrike) Trailer - March 2013 [Update: GTTV Episode]

Choc

Banned
Why ea why

Overstrike.jpg

jett

D-Member
Wonder if EA pushed them to go this route...

I dunno, but it was certainly weird to see Ted Price going on about how awesome is the violence in the game now. :p It'd be unfair to pretend what goes on inside Insomniac, but I'd wager this was a decision they made themselves, going by their history. They changed Resistance's sequel to try to cater to the more mass market FPS crowd.

Orayn

Well, there go all the positive comparisons to NOLF, The Incredibles, and Team Fortress 2... The hype train will be ending its journey prematurely at Bland-Town Station. Population: Grit

I don't want to write it off completely, but I was really hoping for some levity and fun characters, with a bright color palette. Now we've got a SRS BSNS plot, nondescript military settings in muted tones, and a decidedly less unique tone to the whole thing.

thuway

Overstrike looks infinitely more pleasing than this.

For all the shit the Resistance series gets- that game atleast had a unique art direction.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
each level has a varying palette to be sure... and again, not a military shooter. It's grounded, but by no means a "realistic" game

Aurongel

Good lord that looked like an uninspiring, ugly mess of a game. Even the trailer failed to make it look like anything above a generic co-op shooter.

DTKT

Looks like the colors and the original was sucked out by some evil vampire.

This could not look more generic. Look at all these gibs, that mech suit, and those helghast looking things.

Aaron

I think I would have liked it more with a different song backing it, but after playing Binary Domain the action in this game seemed too slow paced for me. I love co-op games, but if this does end up getting released around the time of Dead Space 3 and the new Army of Two I doubt I'll spring for all three.

Gears had the planet being destroyed, and even it wasn't that brown.
That's crazy talk. Nothing is more brown than the original Resistance. That game was more muddy than mud.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'd love to be proven wrong, but this trailer just screams what would happen if R&C got focus tested by the 18-35 mainstream male demo

Orayn

Every bad impression in past weeks seems to have been caused by the "wrong" part of the game being shown off. Maybe when it comes out, we'll find out that the parts people were excited about in 2011 got scrapped early on and wound up in another game entirely.

I'll gladly shell out $60 for that game, should it ever see the light of day.

Sorry to sound so harsh, it just feels like I got myself excited over stuff that seems to be largely absent from the game that's getting released.

Berordn

I'd probably have liked this trailer a lot more if not for having fallen in love with the Overstrike teaser last year. I just can't get over the brown and bloom double whammy. Wubstep doesn't help either.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I'd probably have liked this trailer a lot more if not for having fallen in love with the Overstrike teaser last year. I just can't get over the brown and bloom double whammy. Wubstep doesn't help either.

it's not dubstep. that's bass and drum.

Gartooth

It lost a lot of the color, charm, and character that made me fall in love with the original teaser. Overstrike was a day 1 buy because the game had an original look that reminded me of the likes of TF2 and the Incredibles, this though just looks like another run of the mill bro shooter that I can see myself ignoring.

It's crazy how much the look and feel of a game factors into it's appeal, because even if the gameplay stayed the same, the original game still looked like it would be more "fun".

Isn't it just an distribution deal? I thought the EA partners platform was just there to help independent studios get games out, not suck all the creativity and originality with focus groups and marketing data...

I don´t think so. Yeah EA is sure about helping indy devs. EA wants something that sells regardless of how generic it is. Look at Dead Space 3 for instance. This overhaul has EA written all over it. I love Insomniac, and this game does not yell Insomniac to me.

I still wish the Art Style was the one from the Original trailer :( I'll still keep an eye out, but pulling a reverse Borderlands was not the way to go

Isn't it just an distribution deal? I thought the EA partners platform was just there to help independent studios get games out, not suck all the creativity and originality with focus groups and marketing data...

maybe not a mandate like change the game or we won't publish it, but more like "we think you should chance it, but it's up to you (nudge, wink wink...)" kinda of thing

edit: and insomniac has the track record to not able to take a stand and commit, R2 is changed a lot from R1 probably to other game's influence, and R3 pretty much ignore R2 story as much as possible trying to distance itself from it even though R2 cliffhanger ending is one of the highlight of that game imo.

With this being Insomniac it'll likely play well, and thought I suppose that's what's most important I still can't help but be extremely bummed after watching the trailer.

I know GAF isn't a good sample of the general gaming public, but I hope jtstevenson and Insomniac go over the response here to all their recent PR and make significant changes. Or at least plan for this IP going nowhere and just finish the game and start focusing on their next game.

More shooters need animation or swaying when aiming down the ironsight. They all look very stiff and the same when they're all doing the ironsight aim.

Top Bottom