• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF: Best and Worst TEKKEN

ajb1888

Banned
I have many memories getting downright thumped by my cousin with the original Tekken on PS1 years ago. I initially disliked the series a lot because of my cousin, haha!

With the Tekken 5 release on PS3, I started having a lot of FUN with friends, and characters like Lili and Armor King, and have closely followed the series since, as a casual fighting fan. I am not competitive myself, tho I do enjoy a tournament stream here and there.

Tag 2 might be my favorite of the series to date, especially because pair play allows me to enjoy Tekken with 3 other friends simultaneously. 4 player matches are always awesome fun! Customization options are rather bizarre however!!! haha

What about you GAF? Casual and competitive alike, which title reigns supreme to you and why? Do earlier titles hold up better than today's graphical showcases? Any Tekken that you despise?

What do you hope for the series future, with 7 hopefully hitting consoles eventually?

Share and Discuss :)

I began the series with 3, had a lot of fun, but I think I had the most fun with Tag 1. I played the hell out of 4 but I might go on and say it was the worst of the bunch, maybe 6 is there too.

Warxard

Banned
Best - Tekken 3

Best roster of newcomers, the added mechanics didn't make the game feel cluttered, best version of Bryan, etc.

Worst - Tekken Revolution

F2P Garbo.

None of them are really bad, but

Best: Tekken 4
Worst: Tekken 1, I guess. I want to say Tekken 7 but I haven't played it. It's the first I don't really care to play.

Requeim

Best: Tekken 5/DR (Original has way better music, DR has way better balance)

Worst: Tekken 6 (Bound sucks and rage is whatever).

Also, Tekken 4 is an awesome game. Fantastic music and new characters.

BEST: Tekken 5: DR, Great, balanced fighter with beautiful stages, especially in 1080P, and one of the best fighting game OSTs ever.

WORST: I think all the mainline Tekkens have their merits. I guess that Tekken Advance game on the GBA?

Tekken 3 has my favorite mode "Tekken Ball Mode".
Tekken 5 / Tekken 5DR has my favorite gameplay.
I don't like Tekken Revolution, so I guess that would be my least favorite.

Xav

Best: Tekken 5 & Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Also good: Tekken 2, Tekken 3 & Tekken Tag Tournament

Worst: Tekken 1, Tekken 4 & Tekken 6.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Best tekkens in terms of content and quality (T5/DR, TTT2, T3)

Most memorable tekkens (T2, TTT)

Worst tekkens (T1, T6, T4)

I usually give T4 more slack because it did introduce certain things i really liked and wished they'd kept, like the focus on a consistent story line, as well as the general atmosphere.

For reference i started with T2 way back when in 96, so i have no real fondness for T1, and it hasn't aged well in terms of gameplay either.

T6 was straight lacking. Nancy was garbage, Azazel was garbage, none of the story made sense, and a lot of the game felt like a step back from T5's improvements after 4. All the characters added felt like bloat to make up for the lack of new ideas

Bloomers

Best: TTT or DR
Worst: T1

It's really hard for me to declare any as the 'best' or 'worst' though. It's more like there are good Tekken games, and there are amazingly addicting Tekken games.

Top tier would be T3, TTT, both T5's, and TTT2
The rest are good (though a full sized Tekken based on Revolution's tweaks would have belonged in the upper tier)

ShowDog

I'm not good enough at Tekken to say whether 3, TTT or 5 was the best. 3 had the biggest impact on the industry without a doubt.

The worst was Tekken 1, even upon release it was straight garbage compared to Virtua Fighter 2 which came out a month earlier.

Bergerac

Haven't played TTT2 or T7 (obvs).

I'd say best is Tekken 4 and worst is Tekken 6.

With Tekken 4
- the story lines were taken somewhat more seriously and led to some awesome dark moments
- Story mode felt more like a story mode with intros and such
- the roster was focused, cut to 19 (I believe)
- not much in the way of stupid characters, even Mokukin was replaced with Combot. Only usless character was Violet (Lee)
- no projectile attacks
- they stuck to their guns and characters who were dead were actually dead
- the music was pretty tight (though that's never been much of a problrm)
- combo record feature in Practice mode, Practice mode itself seemed significantly beefed up with move demonstrations etc
- the juggles felt a lot more grounded and not too insane
- Grab moves were kinda fun and helped alleviate walled stage punishing, as was daft shit like kicking people through telephone boxes

Then came item moves, bound combos, breaking floors, an overpopulated roster, rage meter, stupid characters galore, projectile moves, cheap shit like Jinpachi and Nancy, T6's 'story mode', and any semblance of grounded story was thrown out of the window. Yeah.

entremet

Tekken 1 has to be the worse. Why are people ignoring it?

Best goes to the PS1 version of Tekken 3. Tekken Ball, OST selection if you owned the previous ones, great remixed soundtrack, home exclusive characters.

It's still the best selling home version too.

I loved Tekken 3, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 has succeeded it as my favorite Tekken recently.

Tekken 6 is probably my least favorite, can't say it's the worst since I haven't played 1, or 4. Tekken Revolution was fun for a while, but the micro-transactions bum me out.

Shun

In terms of gameplay, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is the pinnacle of Tekken and 3D Fighting games so far.

It's by far the best Tekken game in how it's played.

Tekken 5 gets best story and a nice second place but TTT2 is too good.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I loved Tekken 3, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 has succeeded it as my favorite Tekken recently.

Tekken 6 is probably my least favorite, can't say it's the worst since I haven't played 1, 4, or 5. Tekken Revolution was fun for a while, but the micro-transactions bum me out.

I thought Tekken Revolution was fun and a decent time waster....until they came up with some bullshit reason that i could no longer play :(

"Oh you have to have these garbage tokens to play the game, and your playtime is strictly monitored for time!" Eff outta here with that shit. Isnt it enough that you locked all the character behind the pay wall.

Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection and Tekken 3 are easily tops. Tekken 2 is still good for the soundtrack. Tekken 1 was a bit of a joke even when it was new. Tag Tournament on PS2 is pretty sweet.

Haven't played 6, TTT2 or 7 yet to say how they stack up, but none of them will leave the impression on me 3 did back when I first played it.

First post nails it. Sooo many good memories with Tekken 3. Ogre was close to OP.
Lol Ogre was always a joke of a boss. Heihachi was sometimes more of a challenge than him in Arcade.

Tekken didn't start getting "cheap" with their final bosses until Jinpachi imho.

I hate him. SO much...

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Tekken 6 is when i first started to seriously play Tekken, and found my favorite character bob, so it will definitely hold the spot of being my favorite.

Least favorite is definitely 4, while I casually played with my friends back in the day, I remember it being extremely underwhelming after tekken 3.

Tekken 1 was the first game I played at home that surpassed the arcade. Tekken 2's mechanics are some of the best outside of SF2. Tag is fun, but it's gimmicky. Three is great.
Worst is 4. My favorite is 2, but Dark Resurrection is close.

Dereck

Tekken 1 has to be the worse. Why are people ignoring it?

Best goes to the PS1 version of Tekken 3. Tekken Ball, OST selection if you owned the previous ones, great remixed soundtrack, home exclusive characters.

It's still the best selling home version too.
Because it's a 3D fighting game that came out in 1994. Kind of hard to criticize a game that was built on a foundation of relative naivety in how 3D fighting should work.

Moofers

I love them all, but if I had to rank them I'd put TTT2 at the top and Tekken 4 at the bottom. I do love Tekken 4 though! It has a lot of character and a great intro. Tekken 5 was particularly amazing IMO and was the previous champ until Tag 2 came about. Not Dark Ressurection, mind you. I like that one too, but original Tekken 5 was Tekken's blazing return to flawless glory!

zoodoo

BEST: Tekken 5: DR, Great, balanced fighter with beautiful stages, especially in 1080P, and one of the best fighting game OSTs ever.

WORST: I think all the mainline Tekkens have their merits. I guess that Tekken Advance game on the GBA?

it's a pretty good game considering the platform. I was really surprised.

for me:
best: TTT
worst: tekken 4

I thought Tekken Revolution was fun and a decent time waster....until they came up with some bullshit reason that i could no longer play :(

"Oh you have to have these garbage tokens to play the game, and your playtime is strictly monitored for time!" Eff outta here with that shit. Isnt it enough that you locked all the character behind the pay wall.

Yeah, gotta agree with you completely, it's a fun and decent time waster but the micro-transaction token system crap was a bummer. I can't even imagine trying to unlock all the characters, I don't even think I unlocked any in retrospect.

AmyS

Best: System 12 Arcade Tekken 3 (also in PS2 Tekken 5 Arcade History)

R1TR0Zm.jpg

Best is Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection. Well balanced, polished gameplay, cool art and graphics, good character roster with Lili and Dragunov being the best new characters in a while. Since then they've been stagnant iterations on T5.

I have no worst. I guess technically Tekken 1 because it's so old, but I played it a ton and loved it in 1995. I actually liked Tekken 4 at the time. It's flawed but I appreciated the experimentation and the aesthetic of the game was awesome.

Top Bottom