• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF: Best and Worst TEKKEN

Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection is the best it's basically a refined Tekken 3 with better graphics,more characters, moves and stages. The balancing for the characters was great and the the controls were snappy. It also had the perfect balance of serious and goofy in terms in tone. Me and my friends use to play each other on PSP everyday on the bus to school.

Worst. I'd guess I'd say Tekken 6 was disappointed with it coming off Tekken 5 by no means a bad game just didn't improve on what was set before it.

Manbig

Really? Tekken Tag Tournament 2 the worst? Probably the most balanced in the series and in 3D games?

On what planet is Tekken Tag 2 considered the most balanced Tekken game, let alone 3D fighters in general? Don't mistake the tag system allowing a shitty character team up with an OP character to compensate, meaning the game is balanced. It was still very much the Bob/Lars/Mishimas show that it was in Tekken 6.

Doc_Drop

Best - Tekken 3

Best roster of newcomers, the added mechanics didn't make the game feel cluttered, best version of Bryan, etc.

Worst - Tekken Revolution

F2P Garbo.

This. Although I can't honestly say I could sit down and play Tekken 1 or 2 for any length of time,I grew up with 3 and then 5 on PS2

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
As a spectator but appreciator of the Tekken series, I've enjoyed reading this discussion. It seems that Tekken 4 carries a similar divisive reputation as Virtua Fighter 3.

Manbig

The sad reality is that Tekken 4 was fantastic on paper, but played like garbage in a competitive setting. The harsh backlash from that game seems to have scared the Tekken Team out of ever trying to reinvent the series in any meaningful way.

Everything about Tekken 4, outside of the way the gameplay mechanics ended up working out, was fantastic. The music, the story, the new characters, the small cast, the dark tone of the overall story, and just the overall presentation of the game were all fantastic.

I just wish that they at least kept the scenario writer that they had on at the time to make some worthwhile stories. The overall package of the series would be in much better shape today if they had.

Side note: I still stand by Tekken Revolution without the stats and random criticals, being a solid game mechanically.

On what planet is Tekken Tag 2 considered the most balanced Tekken game, let alone 3D fighters in general? Don't mistake the tag system allowing a shitty character team up with an OP character to compensate, meaning the game is balanced. It was still very much the Bob/Lars/Mishimas show that it was in Tekken 6.

No.

Bob, Lars, and Mishimas didn't run the show in BR. Heihachi was practically low tier, Kazuya was mid, but Devil Jin was high. Bob and Lars were good but they were surrounded by tons of stronger and equal good characters like Nina, Bryan, Bruce, Julia, Roger Jr, Jack-6, Armor King, Dragunov, Law, Steve, Alisa, Miguel, King, Baek. Even then the gap between the best and mid-low tier was not that big. Even HelpMe played Yoshimitsu and did super well.

Tag 2 improved on BR's balance and has the best balanced game 1 on 1 wise but the system itself makes certain play styles and character archetypes better than others. There is plenty of variety in Tag 2 still despite that. You can mix and match characters so much, synergy can make a team great and pairing a character the doesn't fit they system well with one who does and works well with them makes all the difference.

Manbig

No.

Bob, Lars, and Mishimas didn't run the show in BR. Heihachi was practically low tier, Kazuya was mid, but Devil Jin was high. Bob and Lars were good but they were surrounded by tons of stronger and equal good characters like Nina, Bryan, Bruce, Julia, Roger Jr, Jack-6, Armor King, Dragunov, Law, Steve, Alisa, Miguel, King, Baek. Even then the gap between the best and mid-low tier was not that big. Even HelpMe played Yoshimitsu and did super well.

Tag 2 improved on BR's balance and has the best balanced game 1 on 1 wise but the system itself makes certain play styles and character archetypes better than others. There is plenty of variety in Tag 2 still despite that. You can mix and match characters so much, synergy can make a team great and pairing a character the doesn't fit they system well with one who does and works well with them makes all the difference.

I'll take back mentioning the Mishimas in BR, but don't try to act like there wasn't a EVO2011 top 8 that was half full of Bob players that pretty much ruined any desire for a wider audience to want to watch competitive Tekken for a very long time.

Also, you can cite diverse teams all you want, but that game ended up with a billion Bob and Lars players just dragging along whatever partner best suits them along the way. It is the illusion of balance because you can say "Oh look! This guy is winning with Ganryu of all characters!", but then you would be ignoring that the other character that he was using was Bob.

Shout outs to Saint.

k30

Neo Member
Really? Tekken Tag Tournament 2 the worst? Probably the most balanced in the series and in 3D games?

Like explain how TTT2 gameplay is bloated and frustrating when it gives the entire game depth and options and viability.

Are you just not fond of the bound and juggle system? Is tagging and tag crashing too hard? Keeping track of rage too hard? Too many matchups?

The upper echelons of the metagame may be unattainable for a vast majority of us but even at lower levels of competitive gameplay this game is fun and pretty easy to get into.

If anything this game kept it fresh.

I'm not going to act like I'm exactly top player status, but I certainly understand high level tekken. My dislike for tekken tag 2 is because I didn't think it was a good competitive tekken. It was too heavily dictated by a bloated cast and bloated movelists full of moves that led to ridiculous combos that lasted too long. It was like a less exciting version of mvc3 where everyone takes turns on their 50/50 launch setups.

This is all on top of keeping the rage system that I despised in 6, only worse.

To summarize:
- Hated the combo system, especially on the walls
- Hated the comeback mechanic of rage (although tag1 had netsu, I found I hated it much more in this game because of the overall damage output)
- One of my favorite characters wasn't fun to play anymore because his play style didn't lend itself well to the system for my personal tastes (King, but they've made him cool in 7 again)
- While not important to the actual gameplay, the customization options and implementation were quite laughable
- It didn't "feel" like a good tekken for me. Personal tastes and all that.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Tekken 4 being the worst game is laughable when Tekken 1 exists.

That's because most people didn't play Tekken 1. You can rate badly that which you didn't play. The only solution is to limit this thread to people that played all the games, the thread would much smaller theoretically as a result.

Nocturno999

Best Gameplay: Tekken 5 DR
Story, style, music: Tekken 4

Worst: 6
I don't like Tag games either even though they are quality games. Extending combos with another character is excessive.

Tekken 4 being the worst game is laughable when Tekken 1 exists.

Ha. Yeah, it's funny I kind of don't even really consider it a game in tekken. Funny how that works.
I guess I'd still say 4 only cause it should only go up, not down and that game pretty much killed a lot of my Tekken love, just didn't feel right. At least Tekken 1 built a foundation and at the time I enjoyed the game, going back of course it's pretty terrible, but are tons of games from that time.

Bergerac

The weird thing about Tekken is how general gaming community for the majority of the series' life had no idea how to play it. There are still people that believe Tekken needs to go back to a time where jugglng wasn't a big part of the game....but it ALWAYS WAS.

Disagree. Tekken would've been better off going down the 10 hit combo route and keeping stringed combos, because they gave an opportunity for the opponent to counter. Juggles weren't as bad as they are now in earlier Tekkens, because of the way the opponents would float after a launcher, as well as overall character movement speed. You couldn't chain much more than two flip kicks together as Marshall Law in T2. Everything now is achieved with a quick launcher and then your opponent is largely defenceless apart from an opportunity to techroll sonetimes, if they're lucky. Some of Lee's current juggle strings are ridiculous because his launchers can be so quick.

'First to land a launcher' really isn't the best direction the series could have taken. An expansion of the 10 hit combo system which would provide opportunities to stun at key points in the chain and therefore keep the chain going or conversely opportunities for the opponent to break it, and would've been a much fairer momentum based system.

Also, the command list was always in the game and it was common knowledge that a button corresponded to a limb. The lack of knowledge about Tekken applies to later games, not earlier games, because there are far more mechanics now. Tekken didn't really have many mechanics up to T4.

The sad reality is that Tekken 4 was fantastic on paper, but played like garbage in a competitive setting. The harsh backlash from that game seems to have scared the Tekken Team out of ever trying to reinvent the series in any meaningful way.

Why's that? Nobody really clarifies what was wrong with T4. Sloped stages didn't affect the gameplay, neither did wide stages. It still fought the same. Walled, tight stages were remedied by the grab move (since removed - brilliant), and the wall run kick option as a counterattack. Without bound combos wall punishing was never as bad as it is now. Other than that, a few pillars or telephone boxes just added some humourous physical feedback to the stage. The gameplay was otherwise the same. Auto tracking was removed (wherein upon you recovery you line back up to face your opponent) due to the grab moves and sidesteps allowing you to face an opponent's side, but that was a good thing - and everybody had the pad in their hands to get themselves out of said blindsided spots.

Manbig

I'm not going to act like I'm exactly top player status, but I certainly understand high level tekken. My dislike for tekken tag 2 is because I didn't think it was a good competitive tekken. It was too heavily dictated by a bloated cast and bloated movelists full of moves that led to ridiculous combos that lasted too long. It was like a less exciting version of mvc3 where everyone takes turns on their 50/50 launch setups.

This is all on top of keeping the rage system that I despised in 6, only worse.

To summarize:
- Hated the combo system, especially on the walls
- Hated the comeback mechanic of rage (although tag1 had netsu, I found I hated it much more in this game because of the overall damage output)
- One of my favorite characters wasn't fun to play anymore because his play style didn't lend itself well to the system for my personal tastes (King, but they've made him cool in 7 again)
- While not important to the actual gameplay, the customization options and implementation were quite laughable
- It didn't "feel" like a good tekken for me. Personal tastes and all that.

If you are the same k30 that I think you are, then you definitely know what you are talking about in regards to high level play. No need to be so modest. :p

Disagree. Tekken would've been better off going down the 10 hit combo route and keeping stringed combos, because they gave an opportunity for the opponent to counter. Juggles weren't as bad as they are now in earlier Tekkens, because of the way the opponents would float after a launcher, as well as overall character movement speed. You couldn't chain much more than two flip kicks together as Marshall Law in T2. Everything now is achieved with a quick launcher and then your opponent is largely defenceless apart from an opportunity to techroll sonetimes, if they're lucky. Some of Lee's current juggle strings are ridiculous because his launchers can be so quick.

'First to land a launcher' really isn't the best direction the series could have taken. An expansion of the 10 hit combo system which would provide opportunities to stun at key points in the chain and therefore keep the chain going or conversely opportunities for the opponent to break it, and would've been a much fairer momentum based system.

Also, the command list was always in the game and it was common knowledge that a button corresponded to a limb. The lack of knowledge about Tekken applies to later games, not earlier games, because there are far more mechanics now. Tekken didn't really have many mechanics up to T4.

You, on the other hand, have absolutely no idea what you are talking about here.

In Tekken 1 and 2, launch into like 2 jabs into an ender was well over half life. Don't believe me? The next time you load up Tekken 2, pick Heihachi and do twin pistons, 2 jabs, then twin pistons again. 60% - 70% off of a life bar just like that. Also, those games didn't have sidestepping outside of Kazuya's mist step, so it was pretty much just a game of guessing mid versus low. The series evolved far beyond that by introducing proper sidestepping into Tekken 3, which is really the basis for nearly every mechanic that has carried over into the series today.

Your request to make it a string based game that's about guessing which strings the opponent use is also ridiculous. DOA already has a system based around that. Tekken has always been about movement and positioning to get the most out of your attacks. Turning the game into starting a string and going into "am I going mid, or am I going low?" style offense would turn it into the most boring fighting game out there. The game already has too many canned string mix ups that you need to learn how to deal with as it is. The 10 hit combos are an archaic mechanic that they kept around just to appease your average person that is only interested in learning move lists, but not necessarily interested in really competing at the game. They are just filler. At the very least, they buffed some of them in Tag 2, but as an overall mechanic, 10 hit strings are expired.

Why's that? Nobody really clarifies what was wrong with T4. Sloped stages didn't affect the gameplay, neither did wide stages. It still fought the same. Walled, tight stages were remedied by the grab move (since removed - brilliant), and the wall run kick option as a counterattack. Without bound combos wall punishing was never as bad as it is now. Other than that, a few pillars or telephone boxes just added some humourous physical feedback to the stage. The gameplay was otherwise the same. Auto tracking was removed (wherein upon you recovery you line back up to face your opponent) due to the grab moves and sidesteps allowing you to face an opponent's side, but that was a good thing - and everybody had the pad in their hands to get themselves out of said blindsided spots.

There's a lot of problems with Tekken 4's mechanics. I'll just list the general ones that I know.

- Backdash canceling went bye bye. This was a knee jerk reaction to how dominant it was in the earlier games. Instead of working to implement it intentionally and in a balanced way into the game, like Capcom did way back with combos in Street Fighter, they instead removed it and made a game where you had to stair step by canceling the backdash into a sidestep. This was nowhere near as great of a way to create space, which leads to the next problem.

- Jin. Jin absolutely dominated this game mainly with two moves. 2,1, which he still has in the current game, but in this game it was + on block, and had almost zero pushback. ZERO pushback in a game where backdashing is absolutely crippled. On top of that, he had just frame laser scraper, which was a 3 hit string that would score him an unblockable launcher in the end if you hesitated to do anything for even a fraction of a second after the second hit. Of course, he can just do the regular laser scraper if you try to get aggressive after the second hit. There's other stupid things about this character, but these are two of the stand outs.

- The slopes on the floor very much effected gameplay. There were grounded hitting moves that you could spam on your opponent if they were on the floor and on an upward slope. Paul's d+1 hammerfist for example was free over and over again until the grounded opponent would get pushed off of the slope. There's also lots of other weird semi-infinites that the sloped floors caused.

- The wall system in this game was absolutely fucked. While the slopes gave semi-infinites, the walls, specifically the corners, gave 100% infinites. They also played around with strange ideas like wall techs, and giving every characters a universal push/side switch grab. This system stuck out the most as more of an incomplete idea that should have been in a beta rather than a fully realized idea in the final version of a game. It was much improved in the following games, though still far from perfect.

If you want some examples of the kind of nonsene that happens with the slope and wall system, there's a few in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxDjSxLwE8Q

I'm sure there's tons more with even worse stuff, but I'm not gonna be sitting here digging up 10 videos to further prove my point here.

Nimby

Banned
Best: Tekken 5
Good: Tekken 3, TTT
Okay: Tekken 2, Tekken 4
Bad: Tekken Revolution, Tekken 1

Haven't played: Tekken 6, TTT2

Best: Tekken 2/3

Worst: Tekken 6

I was into the lore/story, I admit, but the gameplay chugged in T6 and that's when their lack of character design evolution started. Switching from T5HD to T6chugD was painful. The series still features the same tired designs from 2004.... Wtf!

For those who don't know, I'm the biggest fan of Tekken who isn't a fan. It's complicated. I hate the series now but look forward to new iterations. I'm not the competitive type and was turned off by their reliance on it but yet I have the best fighting game idea for the competitive scene in my biased opinion and even wrote to Harada asking how I can work for them. Like I actually did that. It's been years and my interest has waned even more but I'd be lying if I said I didn't still think about "fixing" Tekken.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Best: Tekken 2/3

Worst: Tekken 6

I was into the lore/story, I admit, but the gameplay chugged in T6 and that's when their lack of character design evolution started. Switching from T5HD to T6chugD was painful. The series still features the same tired designs from 2004.... Wtf!

The gameplay... 'chugged'?

The gameplay... 'chugged'?
My inputs lagged hard. I get that it's a different game and graphics engine than 5HD, but it was noticeable when playing them immediately back to back.

I wasn't the "let's learn the system" type. I was a hardcore casual fan. I was the type that looked forward to character story and move and combo discussion with TZ before it became more so about the arcade scene and "lol story in fighting games what?".

Manbig

If your inputs were lagging, I'm thinking that it wasn't the game's engine...

Tekken 6 was much slower paced than Tekken Dark Resurrection though. Are you sure you're not just mistaking the overall slower pacing for input lag?

If your inputs were lagging, I'm thinking that it wasn't the game's engine...

Tekken 6 was much slower paced than Tekken Dark Resurrection though. Are you sure you're not just mistaking the overall slower pacing for input lag?
I remember sharing my issues when I first experienced them in T6's OT or something and people said the same thing. It was a big deal to me on top of the recycled aesthetics and corny mma marketing.

Manbig

I remember sharing my issues when I first experienced them in T6's OT or something and people said the same thing. It was a big deal to me on top of the recycled aesthetics and corny mma marketing.

Then all of you were wrong. The only thing that I can think of in regards to causing input lag is the TV/Monitor you were using, but you said that you played Tekken: DR HD before that and it was working fine, so I have to assume that you are just confusing the slower pace of Tekken 6 with input lag.

Bergerac

You, on the other hand, have absolutely no idea what you are talking about here.

In Tekken 1 and 2, launch into like 2 jabs into an ender was well over half life. Don't believe me? The next time you load up Tekken 2, pick Heihachi and do twin pistons, 2 jabs, then twin pistons again. 60% - 70% off of a life bar just like that. Also, those games didn't have sidestepping outside of Kazuya's mist step, so it was pretty much just a game of guessing mid versus low. The series evolved far beyond that by introducing proper sidestepping into Tekken 3, which is really the basis for nearly every mechanic that has carried over into the series today.

Your request to make it a string based game that's about guessing which strings the opponent use is also ridiculous. DOA already has a system based around that. Tekken has always been about movement and positioning to get the most out of your attacks. Turning the game into starting a string and going into "am I going mid, or am I going low?" style offense would turn it into the most boring fighting game out there. The game already has too many canned string mix ups that you need to learn how to deal with as it is. The 10 hit combos are an archaic mechanic that they kept around just to appease your average person that is only interested in learning move lists, but not necessarily interested in really competing at the game. They are just filler. At the very least, they buffed some of them in Tag 2, but as an overall mechanic, 10 hit strings are expired.

Excuse me?

Nothing is untrue about juggles being on average less adequate in earlier Tekkens. There's also nothing competitive about being launched and sitting there waiting to be able to play again as one guy goes through a memorised bound combo - don't kid yourself that the same 'learning move lists' doesn't apply anymore. Also on what planet does making a counterpoint that said 10 system wouldn't work because 'another game uses' it constitute an argument? It might have worked had it had effort put into evolving it - it was never looked into.

Drop the attitude.

Manbig

Excuse me?

Nothing is untrue about juggles being on average less adequate in earlier Tekkens. There's also nothing competitive about being launched and sitting there waiting to be able to play again as one guy goes through a memorised bound combo - don't kid yourself that the same 'learning move lists' doesn't apply anymore. Also on what planet does making a counterpoint that said 10 system wouldn't work because 'another game uses' it constitute an argument? It might have worked had it had effort put into evolving it - it was never looked into.

Drop the attitude.

Just calling you out on your ignorance in this subject.

What exactly are you even trying to say when calling juggles in the older games "less than adequate" compared to newer games? The damage? I gave you one example of a launch into 4 hits doing as much as a full juggle into a wall combo in the most recent games. Also, yes, that kind of damage is an "on average" situation. Just because you didn't know about doesn't mean that they weren't there.

The comparison with strings in DOA was about the key things that makes the two franchises unique. I was getting at you trying out DOA if that's what you're looking for, because all of the other mechanics are designed around that aspect, so it wouldn't be a mess like it would be if they simply just threw that into Tekken. Once again, Tekken never was about 10 hit strings and it never should have been.

Lastly, you appear to be implying that playing against an opponent that just remembers long juggles is no fun. You are getting dangerously close to scrub quote territory here. Sure, it's never fun to eat huge damage of any sort in a fighting game when you make a mistake. Whether thay damage is gainef through one combo/juggle, or one Death Fist, it doesn't really make a difference. This is why you learn to deal with it through learning some proper defense so you take that sort of damage less often.

If that's not for you, then what exactly are you looking for in this genre? For all guaranteed damage to never go above jab damage?

I have TekkenTag 2 for PS3 and Wii-U, but I still haven't given them a serious playthrough.

Best: Tekken Tag 1

Worse: Tekken 6

Tekken 4 was GOTY material compared to Tekken 6!

Then all of you were wrong. The only thing that I can think of in regards to causing input lag is the TV/Monitor you were using, but you said that you played Tekken: DR HD before that and it was working fine, so I have to assume that you are just confusing the slower pace of Tekken 6 with input lag.
No. Everyone was saying what you were saying and may well have been true. But it threw me off and still feels sluggish. There is more to it that adds up to it being the worst Tekken for me. It marks the downfall in the overall quality and relevance of the series.

Its jump to multiplatform lead to a long delay and its port was less than stellar, graphically.

Character designs and cg art remained identical as the last iteration which was a first in the series outside of the non-canon TTT. This made collecting their art books, as I was a fan of, completely useless.

Marketing leaned towards the MMA crowd which made for such a stale aesthetic that clashed with the backdrop of its actual story.

That shitty campaign mode.

My above issues with the gameplay. I managed to create some combos, something I enjoy doing in Tekken, but its online prevented me from pulling them off in a match.

I don't comment on mechanics, I leave that to the pros. Changes there don't hurt the experience for me unless its something like Soulcalibur 3's shared generic notations for every character.

Best: Tekken Tag 2 and then Tekken 6

Worst: Not necessarily fair, but Tekken 1. I know it's the first one, but the later games make the original look and feel really antiquated for the obvious reasons. I would feel funny saying that Tekken 1 is better than Tekken 4 for example. I cannot comprehend how so many people are saying Tekken 6 is the worst.

Best: Tekken Tag 2 and then Tekken 6

Worst: Not necessarily fair, but Tekken 1. I know it's the first one, but the later games make the original look and feel really antiquated for the obvious reasons. I would feel funny saying that Tekken 1 is better than Tekken 4 for example. I cannot comprehend how so many pope are saying Tekken 6 is the worst.
Tekken 6 killed my interest, that's my reasoning.

Top Bottom