• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, did the latest PS5 update make your controllers useless without updating them?

Sleepwalker

I've had a PS5 since launch and 3 controllers no issues, I updated my PS recently and whenever I turn it on it prompts me to update the controller, usually I would just click on "do this later" and go about my day normally, but since the latest update once I click on update later my controllers just turn off and can't be used anymore until updated. I'm just wondering why?

It's not really a big of a deal, but like why is it mandatory? lol

Has anyone encountered this?

Last edited:

Skifi28

Yesterday evening I just used a controller I haven't updated and it worked fine. Perhaps it has to do with how old the firmware in the controller is. Maybe yours missed more than one update.

Comandr

It without question took you far longer and far more effort to get butthurt, decide that you were going to vent your frustrations online, and then post than it would have been to just spend the 10 seconds per controller to update them.

Is that laziness or something else..?

Sleepwalker

It without question took you far longer and far more effort to get butthurt, decide that you were going to vent your frustrations online, and then post than it would have been to just spend the 10 seconds per controller to update them.

Is that laziness or something else..?

It without question took you far longer and far more effort to get butthurt, decide that you were going to write this reply and then post than it would have been able to just spend 10 seconds to read that I wrote it's not really a big deal.

I just wanted to know if this has happened to someone else, not butthurt or mad but OK.

Pelta88

The Dualsense is more than just a controller. Those haptics and adaptive triggers need to be fed stability updates, constantly.

download-20211007-140836.gif

wvnative

Motherfuckers probably doing this to prevent cross controller adapters before someone cracks the dualsense security.

Eff this company

Sleepwalker

Imagine being so fucking lazy you can't even move your fat ass to plug in a USB c to update your controller. The peak of procrastinating.

Imagine getting so triggered over a question and a thread made in jest lol.

I'm sorry Mr Hyde, I forgot you cannot ask questions in this place, i'll be more careful next time.

Mr Hyde

Imagine getting so triggered over a question and a thread made in jest lol.

I'm sorry Mr Hyde, I forgot you cannot ask questions in this place, i'll be more careful next time.

I'm trying to motivate you by being harsh. Kinda like boot camp. Some asshole is criticizing you and you be like "motherfucker, I'll show him whose lazy" and voila, suddenly you have plugged in your usb c cable and updated your controller.

Sleepwalker

I'm trying to motivate you by being harsh. Kinda like boot camp. Some asshole is criticizing you and you be like "motherfucker, I'll show him whose lazy" and voila, suddenly you have plugged in your usb c cable and updated your controller.

It worked!

a723f0beeff04b9bdc449f82e4166ec4.png

Nah but for real, I updated my controllers, I just wanted to know what the hell is in the updates that made it mandatory. Never seen it before. I get how I could've worded the OP wrong tho.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Its not an issue. Its mandatory
There was a recent security exploit found in the PS5 that used the Dualsense controller as an entry point. Sony started making controller updates mandatory. The latest console update obviously also fixes this issue, Sony is just trying to reduce the number of controllers "in the wild" that are vulnerable.

Sleepwalker

There was a recent security exploit found in the PS5 that used the Dualsense controller as an entry point. Sony started making controller updates mandatory. The latest console update obviously also fixes this issue, Sony is just trying to reduce the number of controllers "in the wild" that are vulnerable.

Finally an actual answer, this was all I was looking for. Interesting that the controller could be used as an entry point. Cheers man.

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ
I've had a PS5 since launch and 3 controllers no issues, I updated my PS recently and whenever I turn it on it prompts me to update the controller, usually I would just click on "do this later" and go about my day normally, but since the latest update once I click on update later my controllers just turn off and can't be used anymore until updated. I'm just wondering why?

It's not really a big of an issue btw once I update my 3 controllers (so far only done 1, laziness ftw) but like why is it mandatory? lol

Has anyone encountered this issue?
Its described in the last update, you must connect your controller for to update the controller, its done within a blick of an eye. Whats your problem?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Means if your USB port is broken then your controller is dead.
Controllers can be updated on Windows PC

Unless you mean the USB port on your Dualsense - in which case yes, it'll need replaced. Or you'll just have to use it as a generic bluetooth controller in something else, and charge it via the bottom contacts.

wvnative

I update mine all the time since I use the stock cable to charge it through the night anyway.

Might be trying to offset more chronus type devices that plug into your controller?

yes that is it, which I get, but for me, it makes me unable to enjoy PS5 as I cannot physically use the dualsense. It's been so frustrating, xbox and switch don't block it.

Sleepwalker

No, thats borderline stupid, when you turn on your PS5 you can see that there are updates waiting. So you did not update your console when you bought it at launch?
I have no words🙄

The console, sure. Just not the controllers. It never really was an issue, you would just press update later and it'd let you through so I never got around to it. This thread was to ask what changed, I even said earlier that I updated the controllers and this thread was for curiosity's sake. The fat and lazy memes are funny tho so I don't mind.

The whole idea of having to update a controller in order to use it, otherwise its a brick is stupid to me, yes. Regardless if they communicate it or not. So I was wondering what triggered such a stance as none of my consoles ever had anything like that.

Last edited:
The console, sure. Just not the controllers. It never really was an issue, you would just press update later and it'd let you through so I never got around to it. This thread was to ask what changed, I even said earlier that I updated the controllers and this thread was for curiosity's sake. The fat and lazy memes are funny tho so I don't mind.

The whole idea of having to update a controller in order to use it, otherwise its a brick is stupid to me, yes. Regardless if they communicate it or not, so I was wondering what triggered such a stance as none of my consoles ever had anything like that.

were controller updates even a thing on PS4? i dont rememeber ever having to update the dualshock 4.

wvnative

The whole idea of having to update a controller in order to use it, otherwise its a brick is stupid to me, yes. Regardless if they communicate it or not. So I was wondering what triggered such a stance as none of my consoles ever had anything like that.

Xbox One had controller updates since it launched it 2013.

Top Bottom