• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, don't be sleeping on SMT: Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker (comes out 5/5/2015)

Majestad

Banned
81VSAAO-DkL._SL1500_.jpg

The original Devil Survivor 2 is a fantastic JRPG/Strategy game that came nearly at the end of the DS' life cycle.

It is easily one of the best SMT games I've played, mainly in fact because the gameplay is top-notch. On top of that, the story is pretty good and it has a great cast of characters.

Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker comes out next week, and it seems to be a massive improvement on an already great game. Why?

- It has a full-length "sequel" to the original story of DS2. The new campaign is called "Triangulum", and it takes place after the ending of the main story.

- The whole game is now fully voice acted.

- A new soundtrack for the Triangulum story-arc composed by the legendary Shoji Meguro.

- Other additions like choosing difficulty levels, more save slots, street-pass, etc.

Seriously, if you have a 3DS and never heard of the SMT franchise or are interested in getting a great game, Devil Survivor 2 is something as good as anything you'll find on the system. I fucking loved the original and can't wait to play Record Breaker, since it seems to have a lot of new content that justifies its price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN9dko80FiQ

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I want it, but I'll wait for it to pop up in the revolving door of $15 eshop sales Atlus always has going. I just can't bring myself to spend $50 on a 3ds game.

Although I agree that it is a good game, having already played it, it just doesn't justify me paying more than the normal full price just to play the extra chapter. For those who haven't already, I can't recommend the game enough though.

Thoraxes

Got mine pre-ordered! Love GCU and my rewards zone certs. Only paying $20 for mine after all that :D

Loving all the lengthy 3DS games this year. It's outstanding really.

Etria

I loved the first game and am glad that the second is getting this remake. However, I have to wait for the European version to release...

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Thanks for the reminder!

I loved the first game and replayed the 3ds remake as well. I heard that this is not as good? Still getting it day 1.

Majestad

Banned
Thanks for the reminder!

I loved the first game and replayed the 3ds remake as well. I heard that this is not as good? Still getting it day 1.

It's better. Some prefer the setting of the first better, but mostly everything else is superior in 2.

MrDaravon

Atlus tax also keeping me away from this one, as it has all of the games that have had it (except for SMT4, which I feel came with additional stuff actually worth the $10 difference). Like Persona Q I'll pick it up later cheap/used. It really doesn't help that Atlus famously has their games go on sale quickly and all of the time, which strikes me as a super weird model but it apparently works for them, so more power to them.

Producer

Looking forward to the new content and tracks. Did we ever get final info about what happens with the DRRR dlc characters? Probably not happening but who knows.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sleeping on it is exactly what I'm doing. No time to play it for a year or so and it'll go heavily on sale.

Really enjoy the first game, but I still need to finish it actually. Will definitely be picking up the sequel once I'm done with it though.

Sevyne

Until they stop with the 3ds Atlus tax, I'll be waiting for sales on their games. $50 for SMTIV was barely passable for me to buy it, but a port of a DS game with a little extra for $50? Get outta here with that mess...

So yeah, sleeping on it is exactly the plan here.

chrono01

I already have my copy pre-ordered.

I managed to get it for $53.99 + 10% off [from a prior Amazon.ca sale] which helps lessen the cost somewhat.

kewlmyc

Haven't finished the first game and probably never will, but I might pick this up eventually and never finish it.

Does it have the same dub voice actors as the anime?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Got mine pre-ordered! Love GCU and my rewards zone certs. Only paying $20 for mine after all that :D

Yup, I got mine for $30 after taxes. It's even on its way to me as I type.

Been playing Overclocked in anticipation.

ATLUS + Nintendo + Europe = nope

It'll be out in October and no one will be talking about it anymore, so I might as well wait even longer for a sale or something. It's not like fall isn't packed already. I'm thankful that NISA is bringing it but there's no excuse for the delay.

masterdragoon20

Neo Member
how much better is this one than overclocked i love shin megami tensei games but DS: overclocked did not get me very excited (i think truly that SMT IV is a lot better). i'm neraly in my first ending going for the naoya one.

welp, this thread once again remind me to finish this game... lol
probably will resume after finishing bravely second lol
Triangulum is as long as the main campaign?

If that turns out to be true i'll pick it up.

not really... more like 2/3rd i think

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Oooh, nice. I'll be in LA next week - just in time!

I was sure that I'd have time to pick up and finish the DS game before this was out, but alas.

What is the gameplay like? Similar to SMT IV or is this an SRPG?

It's an SRPG with SMT battles.

jzbluz

I was looking forward to this, but my hype died with all the delays and I haven't managed to revive it. I'm skipping it for now since I already played the original, and I need to save my money for other games coming out this year.

sensui-tomo

Any news on the durarara characters showing up in the localized versions? If not i'll wait for a price cut. I wont support a $50 game when there is content cut, and other game studios can get games no one even thought would get ported with the same characters or ones from bigger anime titles.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I thought the anime was Evangelion fanfic level of silliness. Definitely did not entice me to try this game out.

Top Bottom