• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, don't be sleeping on SMT: Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker (comes out 5/5/2015)

Don't think thats true. I can't find it in europe up for sale yet. All the other Atlus titles I checked they looked like the same price as US (give or take currency exchanges).

This title is one that seems to be pushing in general. Maybe they should have called it an LE and said those stickers and cd raise the cost.

I live here. It's true. 3DS games are 40-45€ at launch, NISA titles are always 40€.

Briarios

I saw it in Walmart today, actually ... but, I didn't try to buy it as I have it pre-ordered somewhere else. Looking forward to it!

cj_iwakura

I will say this for DS2: the boss fights are damn hard. Also, the cast are great.

I may sound critical of the game, but I just don't feel it's being priced appropriately. It's still far more worth the added cost than, say, AoT.

Halabane

I was gonna say its scary that xenoblade was sold cheaper than this game. But i'm sure DS2 has more content am i right? got that premium voice acting and whatever tax, just ignore that we took effort in deleting content that paid someone to press a delete button. (yeah super salty about $50 and deletion of content, should have been $40 easily or less)

I think Big N helped with that one because they wanted something shiny for the new 3ds. Also they didn't ADD anything to them game. Literally a port. So it was more to show it could play a wii game. From what I seen so far they didn't even do anything with graphics.

"I just tried to think of another SE game on 3DS and literally came up with nothing but Theatrhythm. What the hell is this company doing?"

If you can speak Japanese there are titles. Even the on line DQ 10, plus the amazing DQ7, final fantasy explorers, etc. That was my point. We play some nitch Japanese titles that don't get a ton of love here so its going to cost something to get it here. There is a lot of risk for a small publishing house. The demon souls success hit is a rare thing. You want see expensive? Show you my shipping bills to get JPN titles. Even the digital titles are wicked expensive compared to main line titles here.

But like I said wait. Get it on sale. Just hope the titles keep coming.

Halabane

I live here. It's true. 3DS games are 40-45€ at launch, NISA titles are always 40€.

Ok. As I said I couldn't find anything but I will believe you. Lets see what this one comes out as...just wondering...I was kind of kidding before about the silly stickers and cd...do Nisa back in the same stuff as US Atlus loves to do? I remember an interview with ATLUS -US and they said they love to do put in stuff like that because it reminded them of how games used to have big instruction manuals and maps inside. Maybe that drives their costs?

Swamped

Banned
You know, I was going to be one of those people who was going to preorder this game, but I'm still so busy with story of season and etrian mystery dungeon...I think I'll probably wait until it goes on sale and get it digitally. The preorder bonuses don't look that interesting anyway. BUT I will definitely play this at some point.

MrDoctor

Ha ha, you won't shill me at that price!

Really, the Atlus tax doesn't sit well with me and I still need to clear Overclock from the backlog. I hope everyone else enjoys it. At least it's finally coming out!

I've only played SMT4, so how does this game compare to that? Do I need to know the story of DS1 to fully understand the story in this game?

random25

I've only played SMT4, so how does this game compare to that? Do I need to know the story of DS1 to fully understand the story in this game?

No they're not directly connected. But they follow the same premise. Basically, the city will become a war between demons and will end in 7 days, and it is up to the protagonist and party to stop it.

Times are hard and funds are low. It is what it is. 50$ just seems off to me. When did the Atlus tax become a thing? I loved Atlus in the PS2/PSP era and supported Persona Golden and a couple of their 3DS games back when times were better but I've never noticed this Atlus tax.

No they're not directly connected. But they follow the same premise. Basically, the city will become a war between demons and will end in 7 days, and it is up to the protagonist and party to stop it.

I have a few gift cards, so I may check this game out. Unfortunately, my backlog will grow even larger.

weevles

I PO this through BB GCU. I'm a wimp with these kinds of games, so I'm hype for the option of changing difficulty levels.

I enjoyed Overclocked, but damn was that game overly long and grindy. Most seem to think the sequel is a lesser game, so I don't think I want to pay a premium price for this.

Hugstable

Banned
I played Overclocked back when I first got my 3DS when it came out, how does this game compare? I really loved the hell out of Overclocked, put over 300 hours into that game just over a few playthroughs.

If only it wasn't $60... (CDN)

I know, but this is the only series where I am willing to pay that much at launch for a 3DS game. My preorder is ready.

I look forward to coming back to this game. The only question in my mind is whether I want to play the original story again or go straight for the new one.

Yeah, I'll wait for a sale. I like DeSu 2 quite a bit. Story is pretty bad but I like the fate system and the large cast and some of the responses are very entertaining. But how do I know this? Because I played the game on DS and am not interested in paying $50 for a port.

ohlawd

I'm so fucking thankful nothing is coming out between the 5th and 19th. gonna dedidate all my time to this

I wonder if they buffed the optional bosses, especially the last one. 1's superboss >>>>>> 2's superboss

i still need to finish the first one. got to the third day but stopped playing after and that was months ago so I'll probably start over this weekend.

definitely interested in this just waiting on a sale

Hubb

I intend to get this, but most likely not on day 1. The $50 price tag doesn't help, but I probably wouldn't bite at $40. I have too much to get through right now that the game will probably be at least 1/2 off by the time I get around to buying it.

I played Overclocked back when I first got my 3DS when it came out, how does this game compare? I really loved the hell out of Overclocked, put over 300 hours into that game just over a few playthroughs.

It's definitely not as good, in my opinion. The central conflict in DS1 and the multiple routes that evolve from it were more interesting to me than DS2, and I feel like the characters are not as nuanced, nor do they grow as much as they do in DS1, (DS1 spoiler)
Keisuke in particular
. That said, it's not like there's no character evolution in DS2, either.

That said, it's still Devil Survivor. If more Devil Survivor sounds good to you, as it did to me, definitely pick this up. Neither of the above criticisms make DS2 a bad game, just one that doesn't shine as brilliantly as the first.

Shizuka

Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 is another title I'll skip because of the Atlus tax. I'll wait until it's cheaper, even if I have to wait a long time, since I want to get a physical copy.

Majestad

Banned
The new music that was on the Japanese website sounds fucking great. DS2 already had an awesome dose, so a dose of Shoji Meguro is like the cherry on top of the cake.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
My copy just arrived!

I really really loved this game, got all the endings on the DS original. Ready to do it again (+ more)!

kunonabi

My Best Buy copy shipped this morning so I should get my hands on it tomorrow. Not that I'll be playing it anytime soon since I'm swimming in 3DS games right now.

garath

I'm interested. Just not for $50 :(

Will definitely read impressions and reviews though. Might sway me. I do have GCU to bring it down to $40 at least.

IF this was 40$ it would be day one, but at 50$, with my backlog, and I havent finished Overclocked yet, all that means that Im going to wait.

Ri'Orius

I'll have to keep this in mind, but recent PSN sales have filled my backlog with enough handheld RPGs to last me a good while.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Reminds me that I need to finish DS2. I feel like I got about halfway through it and then got sidetracked.

What do people think about DS2 anyway? I loved the first game, but the second never clicked with me. It kind of felt like a drag, and seemed less interesting somehow.

MikeDip

Game is incredible so far.

At the title screen you get to choose whether to start the old story or the new one, which caught me by surprise. I am doing the old story again since I loved it and remember almost nothing.

One thing, the voices are super low by default compared to the BMG so go to the settings and up that ASAP.

EDIT: Oh and when I first booted the game there was a day one patch to Ver 1.1. No idea what it did though but I updated.

Reminds me that I need to finish DS2. I feel like I got about halfway through it and then got sidetracked.

What do people think about DS2 anyway? I loved the first game, but the second never clicked with me. It kind of felt like a drag, and seemed less interesting somehow.
I played DS1, then DS2, then overclocked. And now this. In that order
DS2 does not match the brilliance of DS1 in terms of story and stuff but the added mechanics were great. However, overclocked added most of that to the first game so I guess that's the best Devil survivor package. (Haven't seen what is new here yet so we will see)

I still really liked this game and am ready to play it again. It's still more Devil Survivor and that is a great thing.

Oh, one thing you may not have noticed since you stopped so early. the choices made in the original devil survivor mostly only affected the ending and last day, with one exception. In this game, they really matter and you have a lot more control over the flow of characters' lives.

Weiss

Banned
I played the original to death, so it would need a significant amount of awesome new content to justify a purchase.

Genderbent Yamato doesn't count.

MikeDip

How does it compare to SMTIV?

First RPG I've finished in ages, that one.

So different that I don't even know how to start to compare them. This melds SRPG with regular turn based. The progression is done through a static menu where you choose where to go in 30 minute increments, each choice either leads to a story section, or a battle. What did you like about SMT4? There is still demon fusing and summoning here. Each person on the map you control is a team leader + 2 summoned demons. You move them like typical SRPG fashion but when you attack it turns into a 3 on 3 turn based rpg battle.

I think the Devil Survivor games are some of the finest rpgs ever made so I am biased. Pick it up though.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I played DS1, then DS2, then overclocked. And now this. In that order
DS2 does not match the brilliance of DS1 in terms of story and stuff but the added mechanics were great. However, overclocked added most of that to the first game so I guess that's the best Devil survivor package. (Haven't seen what is new here yet so we will see)

I still really liked this game and am ready to play it again. It's still more Devil Survivor and that is a great thing.

Oh, one thing you may not have noticed since you stopped so early. the choices made in the original devil survivor mostly only affected the ending and last day, with one exception. In this game, they really matter and you have a lot more control over the flow of characters' lives.
Thanks. I've noticed there are a lot more characters to interact with, which is great for fleshing them out but also kind of bad in that I feel like I'm neglecting certain characters. It feels like if I don't talk to a character enough and help with that character's personal problems, he or she will end up dying later in the game. Is it like that? Or is there enough time to help/get to know everyone?

Top Bottom