• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, don't be sleeping on SMT: Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker (comes out 5/5/2015)

MilesTeg

Banned
I still have the DS version. I won't be buying at $50, but I was unaware of the new story, so I may get it down the line at a much cheaper price.

Fandangox

The first one was really good, haven't played the second one, but with the upcoming games I will just for a sale on this one.

The story and characters are complete crap compared to DeSu 1, please don't get people excited.

Though seriously the gameplay and balancing is significantly better. But god damn the story it's so bad.. they couldn't even do a SMT-style 1 dimensional plot, they tried to be persona-y and just completely fail at being charming or interesting at all. One of the most disappointing games of the past several years in that regard.

That said, maybe the new additions will be a lot better? Or they're redo some of the writing? Who knows.

TWILT

Banned
I really enjoyed the original on DS and I loved Overclocked too, but ehhhh, $60 for a 3DS game is a bit too pricey for me. Guess I'll think about it next week.

One of the best JP developed SRPG series, especially with most other series dead/MIA or turned into casual fanservice.

Worth $50 if you haven't played DS2 before.

Seda

Any news on the durarara characters showing up in the localized versions? If not i'll wait for a price cut. I wont support a $50 game when there is content cut, and other game studios can get games no one even thought would get ported with the same characters or ones from bigger anime titles.

It's not happening in the localized release.

sensui-tomo

It's not happening in the localized release.

Really would like the reasoning behind it, i mean if that shoddy sega anime fighter could get some durarara characters and expect us to pay full price for a game that has cut content that its home release has. but i digress, i'll wait for an opportunity to get the game for under $30.

So reading that the battle system is not a traditional turn based system, does this mean that it's comparable to Srpg's like Final Fantasy tactics or Disgaea?

If yes, how is Exp-share handeled? Does every character get Exp at the end of a fight or only the character that deals the Final blow?

I really hope, every character gets Exp or that its handeled like in Fire Emblem Awakening.

I'd go on YouTube to watch a video about the battle system, but ai'm at work right now and I really wanna know if I should get excited about the game or not.

cj_iwakura

Really would like the reasoning behind it, i mean if that shoddy sega anime fighter could get some durarara characters and expect us to pay full price for a game that has cut content that its home release has. but i digress, i'll wait for an opportunity to get the game for under $30.

Heh, and I bet that game's going to be cheaper than this.

So reading that the battle system is not a traditional turn based system, does this mean that it's comparable to Srpg's like Final Fantasy tactics or Disgaea?

If yes, how is Exp-share handeled? Does every character get Exp at the end of a fight or only the character that deals the Final blow?

I really hope, every character gets Exp or that its handeled like in Fire Emblem Awakening.

I'd go on YouTube to watch a video about the battle system, but ai'm at work right now and I really wanna know if I should get excited about the game or not.

It turns into a turn-based RPG once you attack the target. XP is distributed based on whoever gets a kill during the battle, but the rest in the team get some too at the end.

DS2 is a good game, but it's just not worth $50 for an updated port with voices and a new scenario.

Seda

Id go on YouTube to watch a video about the battle system, but ai'm at work right now and I really wanna know if I should get 3D cited about the game or not.

Obviously a video will make this more clear, and I'm not sure how familiar you are with SMT in general.

It's not quite like Fire Emblem or FFT because your 'units' on the battlefield grid are teams and not individuals. Essentially you send 4 characters into battle, each with 2 demons tied to them (so, 4 teams of 3).

DS2BR_Apr152015_01.jpg

You control the human lead and move them around the grid, and when you face an enemy team, the game shifts to first person menu-based battle, where you try to deplete the HP of the enemy team. You basically get one turn, and then the battle stops and switches back to the grid for the next character. So it's a bit turn-based/SRPG hybrid.

DS2BR_Apr152015_02.jpg

EXP is given both by beating enemy teams and by clearing missions. Characters (not demons, unless they have a particular passive skill) in reserve also get EXP such that they don't need to be deployed often to keep up with the rest.

Majestad

Banned
Heh, and I bet that game's going to be cheaper than this.

It turns into a turn-based RPG once you attack the target. XP is distributed based on whoever gets a kill during the battle, but the rest in the team get some too at the end.

DS2 is a good game, but it's just not worth $50 for an updated port with voices and a new scenario.

Have you played it? Because Atlus is pimping it as a full length RPG. If that's a good 25 hours of content at the very least, the high price tag is more than justified. Devil Survivor 2 is like a 100 hour game.

cj_iwakura

Have you played it? Because Atlus is pimping it as a full length RPG. If that's a good 25 hours of content at the very least, the high price tag is more than justified. Devil Survivor 2 is like a 100 hour game.

That's ridiculous. I beat DS2 vanilla in around 20-30 hours. So no, it's not justified.

SMTIV justified a high price tag. It's a full 3D game. This most certainly is not.

sensui-tomo

Again my problem only lies with there being cut content and expect us to pay full price for the game. Especially when sega can get the same characters and sell the game at a cheaper cost in a fighter game which will probably move the same amount of units.(me being optimistic there.) It wouldn't be a problem if they added new characters to replace the durarara content, but I wont pay premium price for a game that cut its content, if they lowered the price to a normal 3ds game ala $40, it'd be sad that the content was gone, but it would have a normal price and wouldnt seem as shady, if they lowered it to $30-$35 because of cut content that'd be fine since that shows "Hey we couldnt get all the content in this game but hey you guys get a discount because of that", but $50 for a 3ds game and call it premium, yeah no.

Velcro Fly

$50 was rough at first but between GCU, a Best Buy gift card, and a few reward certificates, I think I paid like $7 for the game out of pocket.

Do turns still take 20 years to finish? Never finished the first game because in later stages you have to wait for a dozen plus enemies to make their turns and there's no way to skip the animations. My eyes were rolling out of their sockets.

Wedge7

Pre-ordered it already. I normally wouldnt pay 60(!?) for a hand held game, but its all good. It probably would have gone on sale in a few months, but that would be the digital version, and I like going physical, at least for handhelds.

Thoraxes

Pre-ordered it already. I normally wouldnt pay 60(!?) for a hand held game, but its all good. It probably would have gone on sale in a few months, but that would be the digital version, and I like going physical, at least for handhelds.

For me it was a case of knowing i'd easily get my money's worth. I put in over 80 hours into the first one.

Majestad

Banned
Do turns still take 20 years to finish? Never finished the first game because in later stages you have to wait for a dozen plus enemies to make their turns and there's no way to skip the animations. My eyes were rolling out of their sockets.

I'm pretty sure you could fast forward them.

cj_iwakura

Just hope its better mashup/fanservice than the ps3 mashup that was a few years ago Cross Edge.

Dengeki Bunko is a fighting game, so it's bound to be. I think it looks like fun.

Also, beat the hell out of Oreimo's protagonist in HD! (I hope that's on the box art.)

GamerJM

Banned
I bought the first game last year after I was tired of not hearing anything about this for a long time. I loved it but not picking this up with the Atlus tax.

Halabane

Dengeki Bunko is a fighting game, so it's bound to be. I think it looks like fun.

Also, beat the hell out of Oreimo's protagonist in HD! (I hope that's on the box art.)

ha...was wondering why I didn't recognize the title! Because we were talking srpgs I just ASSuMEd it was srpg.

Jawmuncher

Gonna wait for a saw. But with all the evangelism comparisons I'm intrigued. But I didn't really like over clocked due to its difficulty.

Voliko

-Atlus Tax
-Story and characters are significantly worse than the last game
-Sick of all of Atlus's enhanced ports over the years.

I want a Devil Survivor 3 or another SRPG from the team but I won't be getting this. If you haven't played the DS version and liked the first game then it's probably worth it. The gameplay and music(Kenji Ito!) are better at least.

Halabane

Look at it as a donation. If you like these srpgs you are part of small group of people. These are low run games and even then they don't sell a crazy amount. It reminds me of when I was in college the cost of engineering text books were crazy..why...they don't publish alot of them and they usually were massive tomes with lots of special graphics. Same applies here. 30 or 40 buck games usually have a larger market and sell more so they can go cheaper and make it volume.

Don't blame you for not getting it at 50. Smart to wait for the sale. But its not a tax. I think they are just trying to keep the lights on. I think Atlus-US is one of the good guys out there trying to get us nitch products that we would have to learn Japanese to play otherwise (remember games like demon souls would not exist if it wasn't for those guys). Not affiliated with them in any way. Other than I buy pretty much anything they publish. For ME I get as much if not much more than I do out the 60 buck console games.

I know they are attached to a bigger company now but so far they still seem to have that independent spirit. So I look it as maybe I am paying a premium or its a ten dollar kick their way like patreon. Either way I hope they keep bring these titles.

Look at it as a donation. If you like these srpgs you are part of small group of people. These are low run games and even then they don't sell a crazy amount. It reminds me of when I was in college the cost of engineering text books were crazy..why...they don't publish alot of them and they usually were massive tomes with lots of special graphics. Same applies here. 30 or 40 buck games usually have a larger market and sell more so they can go cheaper and make it volume.

Don't blame you for not getting it at 50. Smart to wait for the sale. But its not a tax. I think they are just trying to keep the lights on. I think Atlus-US is one of the good guys out there trying to get us nitch products that we would have to learn Japanese to play otherwise (remember games like demon souls would not exist if it wasn't for those guys). Not affiliated with them in any way. Other than I buy pretty much anything they publish. For ME I get as much if not much more than I do out the 60 buck console games.

I know they are attached to a bigger company now but so far they still seem to have that independent spirit. So I look it as maybe I am paying a premium or its a ten dollar kick their way like patreon. Either way I hope they keep bring these titles.

There are other publishers out there who publish games that are even more niche than this and they don't have a "niche-tax". ATLUS just does it because they can get away with it and have little competition on 3DS. NISA publishes all ATLUS game in Europe and the sell them at normal 3DS prices.

cj_iwakura

There are other publishers out there who publish games that are even more niche than this and they don't have a "niche-tax". ATLUS just does it because they can get away with it and have little competition on 3DS. NISA publishes all ATLUS game in Europe and the sell them at normal 3DS prices.

It's scary to think that Square sells games for cheaper than they do.

sensui-tomo

It's scary to think that Square sells games for cheaper than they do.

I was gonna say its scary that xenoblade was sold cheaper than this game. But i'm sure DS2 has more content am i right? got that premium voice acting and whatever tax, just ignore that we took effort in deleting content that paid someone to press a delete button. (yeah super salty about $50 and deletion of content, should have been $40 easily or less)

Halabane

Don't think thats true. I can't find it in europe up for sale yet. All the other Atlus titles I checked they looked like the same price as US (give or take currency exchanges).

This title is one that seems to be pushing in general. Maybe they should have called it an LE and said those stickers and cd raise the cost.

Preordered.
I got a 10$ coupon so its only gonna cost me 40$ which is what it should be anyway.

DeSu2 is good.
The story is the worst part, its not bad by any means its just safe as fuck.
DeSu1 had the better story.
The improvements are in the gameplay and features. This is the only area where it stands with/exceeds DeSu1.

I still think DeSu1 is insanely better but DeSu2 is still solid.

Also not sure if anyone mentioned it yet but there is a .99cent 3ds theme on the eshop with nice music and character art.

Top Bottom