• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
What happened to Wale after Mixtape About Nothing? Did he sell his soul to Lord Ross?
IpWHE.jpg

fucking lol.
His mixtape with 9th wonder was pretty decent too.
a couple good beats does not equal a good mixtape.

DominoKid

that Gucci card is fucking hilarious.

Agreed, although Ross over Drake is laughable. Ross had his album pushed back and had two singles flop. While Rich Forever was big, it was a mixtape. Drake released one of the biggest albums of the year and every song he put out became a hit.

Ross will barely go gold with GFID even though it'll probably be awesome

i would've put Drake #1 (Ross #2) but hearing the roundtable discussion i see why they put Ross #1.

Ross is definitely in that plat or bust category now so GFID will be really interesting.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Great video, song was predictably wolf gang. Shit beat, average verses.

kamspy

What happened to Wale after Mixtape About Nothing? Did he sell his soul to Lord Ross?

The tape that got me really diggin Wale was Back to the Feature. The Wale hate on GAF is something I'll never understand. Even if I like a rapper who get's hated on, I can at least see where people are coming from. For the lane he's in, I think he's one of the better poppy rappers. I like everything from Mixtape about Nothing to Ambition. The only tape I couldn't really get into was More About Nothing. I mean, we've got people who like Big Sean.

Rittz is bangin as usual. I only know he's put out 1 tape, but I haven't heard a bad Rittz song yet.

Recon

Banned
The tape that got me really diggin Wale was Back to the Feature. The Wale hate on GAF is something I'll never understand. Even if I like a rapper who get's hated on, I can at least see where people are coming from. For the lane he's in, I think he's one of the better poppy rappers. I like everything from Mixtape about Nothing to Ambition. The only tape I couldn't really get into was More About Nothing. I mean, we've got people who like Big Sean.

Rittz is bangin as usual. I only know he's put out 1 tape, but I haven't heard a bad Rittz song yet.

Back To The Feature was ass. So fucking disappointing after Mixtape About Nothing. Ambition was also ass, Attention Deficit was criminally underrated and after its poor commercial outing, he switched up gears and became Ross's boy toy. Fuck Mayback music and Ross titties.

kamspy

He's the current GOAT of Wiz Khalifa / Big Sean rap.

It's not saying much, but a guy can only fight in his weight class. There are appropriate times for poppy rap. Ambition fills those times very well.

njean777

Back To The Feature was ass. So fucking disappointing after Mixtape About Nothing. Ambition was also ass, Attention Deficit was criminally underrated and after its poor commercial outing, he switched up gears and became Ross's boy toy. Fuck Mayback music and Ross titties.

/agree I want the old Wale back, but I am sure that will not happen anymore. Ambition has like 2 good tracks on it imo.

Esch

Banned
Wiz and Big Sean have some occasional charisma and good beat selection though. Wale is just audio mayonnaise.

Mixtape about nothing is okay. Attention deficit is sub-okay.

Tokubetsu

I'm a big Wale hater (Kamspy can verify) but even I fuck with Mixtape About Nothing and Back to the Feature. Fuck everything else Wale has done after that though. EVERYTHING.

BTTF sucked, the first Seinfeld mixtape was good but nothing special; he's always been overrated imo. His first album was horrible, while Ambition is decent I guess; it has some damn good songs like the title track, plus a bunch of generic shit.

I hate his rhyme scheme. It's almost Freeway level of stupidity

Esch

Banned
i would rather listen to finally famous(the album not even the mixtapes) than anything wale has ever made ever

no lies

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tats On My Arm goes hard as fuck, but yeah everything else I've heard from it was snooze worthy. The Cole beat/feature song has kind of a catchy ring to it but it's pretty mediocre overall so I never really stuck with it.

siddx

It's not that Wale is bad, it's even worse than that, he's just..."bleh". I can listen to a wale song and have no fucking recollection of it 5 seconds later. It's not even vanilla, vanilla at least has flavor. It's dried protein paste rap. Even on those rare occasions where I can remember thinking he got a few decent bars out, I can't recall what song they were on and what the lyrics were. All I remember is thinking "that wasn't too bad" and then forgetting what the fuck I was listening to seconds later.

kamspy

Ambition has the line up for some dome though.

Start off with Legendary - better than going straight to a bitch joint.
Then you get to Lotus Flower - okay, it just came on after Legendary, sets a little mood though. Doesn't come off too try hard.
Then Chain Music - a little more hardcore joint. You can't just let joints like Lotus Flower roll the whole night. It's still upbeat enough to keep her interested.
Focused - OMG is that Kid Cudi? Yeah it's Kid Cudi. OMG I love Kid Cudi! Yeah he's pretty cool. Even more upbeat track kinda loosens the mood.

Boom

By the time you hit Sabotage (feat. Lloyd) and White Linen (feat. Ne-Yo) you're getting brain. It's a proven process. You'll be hittin by Slight Work if you want.

siddx

Haha I really am very open to all kinds of music... Really, the last album I really didn't like was Danny Brown's. I know, I know.

Must be nice, every year the amount of rappers who don't annoy the fuck out of me gets smaller and smaller. In college I loved every kind of rap, every style, every coast, fucking everything. A rapper could do no wrong, if the genre was hip hop, I listened to it. Now I've hit the point where the majority (by a slim margin, like just over half) annoy the fuck out of me. At this rate in a few years I'll hate everything.

siddx

Ambition has the line up for some dome though.

Start off with Legendary - better than going straight to a bitch joint.
Then you get to Lotus Flower - okay, it just came on after Legendary, sets a little mood though. Doesn't come off too try hard.
Then Chain Music - a little more hardcore joint. You can't just let joints like Lotus Flower roll the whole night. It's still upbeat enough to keep her interested.
Focused - OMG is that Kid Cudi? Yeah it's Kid Cudi. OMG I love Kid Cudi! Yeah he's pretty cool. Even more upbeat track kinda loosens the mood.

Boom

By the time you hit Sabotage (feat. Lloyd) and White Linen (feat. Ne-Yo) you're getting brain. It's a proven process. You'll be hittin by Slight Work if you want.

You've been married way too long if you think Wale will get you head. And if you claim it got you some you are mistaken as fuck. You got yourself some brain through charm/personality/violent threats. Not with wale's week old soy bean paste rapping ass.

kamspy

I'm tellin ya siddx. It's been my best lead off album since I've been single. Sure I could play whatever crap they listen to, but at least I can bare the Wale. The album has it's uses.

DominoKid

my feelings on ambition change day by day. sometimes i like it. sometimes i feel like wale is still finding who he is. i listen to it a lot walking/cruising around campus.

i consistently rock w/ a few songs on it though: dont hold your applause, focused, chain work, focused, slight music & ambition. even the pantydroppers arent terrible. i find myself humming lotus flower bomb a lot thanks to miguel.

add bad girls club (w/ j cole) and tats on my arm which were part of the ambition cycle and its a solid album. 6/10

11.1.11 is full of songs that should've made the album though
globetrotter, bait, barry sanders to name a few.

mmg wale >>> any other point in his career though. he may have been a better rapper in the past, but as an artist, getting under Ross' wing was a great move.

Cudder

can you guys stop saying "as fuck" ? yoooo this shit is dope as fuck. yooo this shit is wack as fuck. as FUCK AS FUCK AS FUCK ASS FUCK ASS FUCK AHHHHHHHH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom