• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

The one time I could actually go see them I was underage and couldn't get into the venue. This was APOS era so around 06/07.

The King & “i”: Hip-Hop’s Savior Complex & Kendrick Lamar’s New Single

brehs...

Y1Rxe78.gif

I still like the song, but I've been ignoring - or...delaying acknowledging the reality - of what this track is. It's the track I hoped he wouldn't make, it's the track I hoped he wouldn't have to make. It's his Work Out. Popular sample, pop swing, let's dance and sell minivans.

I don't dislike the positive message of the track, and fall more in the camp that despises the suggestion that positive anthems are "white music" as if black people are just supposed to listen to party, drinking, sex, and trap songs*. The message doesn't bother me - it's the packaging and the rather boring song writing/structure. Personally I think the track is undeniably catchy, but for reasons that are disappointing. It's safe to the core, although the third verse and beat switch does interrupt the party a bit, in a good way.

*This is encapsulated by something a smart dumb nikka acquaintance of mine said about Pharrell. Happy was playing and he lamented that Pharrell made the song for white people but sold "us" poison with Move That Dope. As if Happy isn't a universal song that applies equally to everyone. And yall know I don't like Happy, but that's only due to who sings it. Give it to someone with some soul in their voice and I wouldn't be able to hate on it. Again...packaging.

Some snippets from Kendrick's album might've leaked.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1AcgPHjk8Fa

Take with a grain of salt tbh. It's Alive might be on the album

Not trying to hear anything rn tbh. Didn't listen to most of the GKMC leaks until the full album was out there and made the experience better. Especially not listening to Backseat Freestyle until I heard it in the album

DominoKid

it's just not a good song PD. don't make it out to be more than what it is. it's corny and wack.

also Pharrell had to be convinced to do Move That Dope cause he wasn't with it at first. his whole verse is positive. it doesn't even jive with the rest of the song.

Not trying to hear anything rn tbh. Didn't listen to most of the GKMC leaks until the full album was out there and made the experience better. Especially not listening to Backseat Freestyle until I heard it in the album
That's either real or a very good fake. Even has what sounds like a different verse for the song from the Beats ad.

Sounds like Kendrick is going Spice 1/Cube on us yall. I'm ready.

overcast

That one sounds A LOT lighter/not as serious as anything we've heard of Yeezus era. Features Theophilus London (who I like). Seems pretty cool, but again, a little snippet means fuck all.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Can't link from my phone, but Wale had a pretty good Breakfast Club interview, where they try to figure out why he didn't pop.

Almost makes me want to check out a project from him. Almost.

I'm still trying to figure out when Wale turned from "that guy with the good Seinfeld mixtape" to a straight up undercard heel. Happened so fast too.

it's just not a good song PD. don't make it out to be more than what it is. it's corny and wack.

also Pharrell had to be convinced to do Move That Dope cause he wasn't with it at first. his whole verse is positive. it doesn't even jive with the rest of the song.

yeah if you listen to the pharrell verse it doesn't even belong on the track lyrically but still he managed to have the best verse, dat flow

why we still talking about "i"? it's straight up the most cornball single released by any big rapper in a while. it literally belongs on a dove soap commercial or a kmart ad lmao

overcast

Could you imagine what Cole, Drake and the others were thinking when that shit dropped man? Can't see this happen brehs.

Let Kanye down.

IrishNinja

not buying the ye snippet, looks debunked

I know there's no god because Kno gotta be the whitest dude making some great beats.

calling a producer out on his caucasity? check your privilege, tokus

I'm still trying to figure out when Wale turned from "that guy with the good Seinfeld mixtape" to a straight up undercard heel. Happened so fast too.

this, i think he put out mixtape about nothing 2, then MMG & shit happened i think? i don't fuck with dude tho

Can't link from my phone, but Wale had a pretty good Breakfast Club interview, where they try to figure out why he didn't pop.

Almost makes me want to check out a project from him. Almost.
Watched it too. Pretty good interview. I almost sometimes feel bad for the guy with all the hate that he gets but then I remember he has 407383927x my bank account and mad thots so whatever

Album about nothing about to be AOTY

Also Shoutouts to making "Artistic Integrity" then making Clappers

I just stopped caring after Attention Deficit. So disappointing.

this, i think he put out mixtape about nothing 2, then MMG & shit happened i think? i don't fuck with dude tho

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan anymore, but that's just cause I got bored with his music around the time he dropped that Back To The Feature project. The hate came strong during or after that though, and I don't get what sparked it.

I liked Soles of Fire by Theophilus London. And his Marvin Gaye "I Want You" cover. Didn't like the tape they came from though, and haven't listened to anything else.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan anymore, but that's just cause I got bored with his music around the time he dropped that Back To The Feature project. The hate came strong during or after that though, and I don't get what sparked it.

The hate came for J. Cole too, in a way. The difference is he ignores it, and continues to do his thi--zzzzz.

Sorry.

Whereas Wale takes it all very personally. Once you show those that hate you're emotional, and then continue to drop sub-par music (which is brazenly at odds with the work people used to fuck with you for)...it doesn't take long for your "wackness" to become a meme. Then the phone call...smh.

CoolOff

Listened once to get some confidence again, and it's back. :whew: Still hoping I isn't on the album.

DominoKid

I liked Soles of Fire by Theophilus London. And his Marvin Gaye "I Want You" cover. Didn't like the tape they came from though, and haven't listened to anything else.

The hate came for J. Cole too, in a way. The difference is he ignores it, and continues to do his thi--zzzzz.

Sorry.

Whereas Wale takes it all very personally. Once you show those that hate you're emotional, and then continue to drop sub-par music (which is brazenly at odds with the work people used to fuck with you for)...it doesn't take long for your "wackness" to become a meme. Then the phone call...smh.

Rose Island tape is fire

codhand

people would probably be surprised how many of their favorite recordings were made under less than ideal circumstances, ie closets.

of course you leave the clothes in that bitch. but sitting down? nah, not bout that life in the booth.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
people would probably be surprised how many of their favorite recordings were made under less than ideal circumstances, ie closets.

of course you leave the clothes in that bitch. but sitting down? nah, not bout that life in the booth.
Probably not enough room to stand.

My old high school band recorded our demo in my room. My drums got stuck in the closet to make room for the rest of the dudes.

studyguy

I don't hate Wale, but his interviews even this one feel sort of weird. Dude always seems too caught up in his self image or how people react to his releases. Like I can understand if you drop something that's straight fire and take offense when it gets slept on hard, but the dude treats all his stuff like we should be jumping at every mediocre release.

I just stopped caring after Attention Deficit. So disappointing.

More About Nothing released after Attention Deficit, right? I think that's where I stopped.

As far as Wale hate goes (I personally don't indulge in it), I guess it's a mixture of him caring too much about everything and catching feelings often along with his image not really meshing with the rest of his crew.

He's not a bad rapper at all. Will I go out of my way to listen to his new stuff? Not really, but if a Wale mixtape track plays on on shuffle I'll definitely vibe to it.

I gained respect for Wale after his reaction to the Meek shit. He said a lot of stuff I've felt for almost two decades. Wale has some good songs, and I think his first MMG album was overall good. He also was dope on the first Self Made album.

Maybe him being on MMG today makes people dismiss him. That crew has pretty much been creatively brain dead for awhile. And let's face it, Eale is too emotional for prolonged consumption. Shit makes me want to write a honey to-do list and I'm not even married.

Bad is a really good song, but I think it's moreso due to the songwriter. I wonder what happened to her. Be a dark skinned female artist brehs...

DominoKid

I gained respect for Wale after his reaction to the Meek shit. He said a lot of stuff I've felt for almost two decades. Wale has some good songs, and I think his first MMG album was overall good. He also was dope on the first Self Made album.

Maybe him being on MMG today makes people dismiss him. That crew has pretty much been creatively brain dead for awhile. And let's face it, Eale is too emotional for prolonged consumption. Shit makes me want to write a honey to-do list and I'm not even married.

Bad is a really good song, but I think it's moreso due to the songwriter. I wonder what happened to her. Be a dark skinned female artist brehs...

I wouldnt even know she was dark. Gotta figure that she's just a faceless voice to most people. And she fucked up by not signing with MMG. She still wouldnt have an album but she would at least have steady hook work.

Why is he working with that hack anyway. Kanye's choices in young talent sometimes... smh

Cause Theo is real. His music is tight and he's right up Ye's alley as an artist and as a person

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom