• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gafia 2.5: The Bachelor Party |Mafia OT| One Last Override

cabot

So why is the bachelor a miller?

Fluff is I'm town aligned but I just want this to be over with and be married to Swamped, therefore I'm not really into it. I'll return a non-town result from investigation.

I didn't bold the bachelor, because it's not a part of my role. It means nothing.

cabot

Vote: Cabot

how can whatshisface be a town role? it can't.

image.php

Sorian

Banned
I'll edit it in but I forgot to mention in the day opening post that 8 votes are needed for majority today.

Gorlak

Banned
... off to a great start I see.

Cabot miller claim, that's something I haven't seen in a while. But there is someone I have to talk to first

vote: squidyj

Fuck you for killing my lover. He was the best. Yes, he needed help, but you knew how he was...

damn I was hoping that if there was a Miller role it would be named after me

On a more serious note, aren't millers usually auto bastard roles? What scale is this game?

Sorian

Banned
On a more serious note, aren't millers usually auto bastard roles? What scale is this game?

I didn't scale this game because that line of meta annoys me. So we could be anywhere between "everyone is ordinary" to "I decided to send you all the wrong role PMs"

I wouldn't worry so much about scale. It's GAFia, and a midseason game at that.

On a more "on topic" post.

Cabot, I don't trust your Miller claim. Your probably running a gambit though, so I'll see how it plays out. You already got a bite in flame and squidyj.

Cabot, I don't trust your Miller claim. Your probably running a gambit though, so I'll see how it plays out. You already got a bite in flame and squidyj.

Any reason you don't trust it? Aside from the FluxWaveZ comparison he made. Don't really see what town would gain from fake claiming miller, and your post reads like you don't think he's lying scum.

Palmer_v1

I'll just say that while we are definitely outside the box for our community(i mean come on, this is a "joke" game splintered off of a "joke" game), it's still not Volcano Island levels of madness.

You can absolutely trust your role PMs.
Unlike Retro's game?

Kawl_USC

I also did this in four minutes, because I wanted to beat FluxWaveZ's six minute day one claim.

Happy Wednesday.

Cabot, friendo, you were previously a miller a few seasons ago, correct?

Did you claim hot out the gate in that game or did you let it stew a bit more? If you played it differently, why the switch up here? If you doing the same, do you playa.

Kawl_USC

Any reason you don't trust it? Aside from the FluxWaveZ comparison he made. Don't really see what town would gain from fake claiming miller, and your post reads like you don't think he's lying scum.

"gain"

"gambit"

"town"

pick 2
and it usually doesn't involve the first word with gafia

RetroMG

I'll just say that while we are definitely outside the box for our community(i mean come on, this is a "joke" game splintered off of a "joke" game), it's still not Volcano Island levels of madness.

You can absolutely trust your role PMs.
Unlike Retro's game?

7mGMiGG.gif

Kawl_USC

Vote: StarSketch

Mentioning crab sacle /triggered.

Also, we've got too many S names in the game and Gorlak beat me to my Squidyj vote, so here you go lassie.

Sophia

I find the people reacting to the miller claim more fascinating than the miller claim itself, tbh. Especially Zipped, who delightfully informed us he didn't trust it and automatically threw out the suggestion that cabot was doing a gambit.

squidyj

I see I see. So at least one of you and Cabot are scum then huh.

Kawl_USC

I find the people reacting to the miller claim more fascinating than the miller claim itself, tbh. Especially Zipped, who delightfully informed us he didn't trust it and automatically threw out the suggestion that cabot was doing a gambit.

Yea, Zipped why don't you give thoughts on all of the other topics of discussion that have come up??

I'm tired of focusing on this obvious miller fake claim, the day is already 1/36th over, let's start with the scum hunting folks!

But on a more serious note, Zipped and Sophia, if you had a miller role given their prevalence and some of the prior gambits involving them, how would y'all play it out? Reveal out the gate, reveal before end of day 1, or just never reveal?

I don't trust them because it automatically implies another role exists (role cop). Very few day one claims can make that same assumption.

So Cabot is saying we have X other role
its why I don't trust miller claims on principle day 1
because why else would there be a miller. However, he could also be scum trying to hide in plain sight.

He could also be neutral and is trying to get ahead of any sort of claims/actions, but that is less so.

You are right about 1 thing, it's doesn't make sense to me for town to fake claim Miller.

squidyj

I guess this gets a little meta but my most recent experience with a miller was someone out and out claiming miller and being legitimate and not getting lynched. If you're scum you might follow from that that a line of scum play would be to immediately claim miller, it's kind of fun and hey, maybe it could work.

Kawl why are you being weird and misinterpreting sophia's (and everyone elses) concerns in order to shift the discussion.

Kawl_USC

I guess this gets a little meta but my most recent experience with a miller was someone out and out claiming miller and being legitimate and not getting lynched. If you're scum you might follow from that that a line of scum play would be to immediately claim miller, it's kind of fun and hey, maybe it could work.

Kawl why are you being weird and misinterpreting sophia's (and everyone elses) concerns in order to shift the discussion.

Well if we are going to go meta, we also have the most recent experience of scum fake claiming miller and that not working out for them, so there's that.

And come on squidbro, let's not do this song and dance from wwe again. I made a snarky comment but I also posed an actual question to both her and zipped in that post.

Sophia

Yea, Zipped why don't you give thoughts on all of the other topics of discussion that have come up??

I'm tired of focusing on this obvious miller fake claim, the day is already 1/36th over, let's start with the scum hunting folks!

But on a more serious note, Zipped and Sophia, if you had a miller role given their prevalence and some of the prior gambits involving them, how would y'all play it out? Reveal out the gate, reveal before end of day 1, or just never reveal?

There are usually two trains of thoughts for a miller. The first is that you never reveal period, and just try to stay under the radar. In this case, if you get called out you're almost certainly to die. The second is that you call out relatively immediately, ensuring that nobody wastes their investigation power roles on you. However in the second case you have the problem of the fact that there's no way (initially) to tell the difference from a legitimate miller and scum claiming miller.

I have no confidence in my ability to stay under the radar like that and not get investigated, so if I were a miller I'd claim immediately.

Well if we are going to go meta, we also have the most recent experience of scum fake claiming miller and that not working out for them, so there's that.

But they only got caught out because they claimed tracker too, and there was a town tracker in the game to counter it. We don't really have any examples of scum millers otherwise. So there's not any real precedent for how long they might live.

And come on squidbro, let's not do this song and dance from wwe again. I made a snarky comment but I also posed an actual question to both her and zipped in that post.

How would I play Miller? I would wait out day 1 and claim at the start of day 2. Mainly because of the implications of a role cop. Miller implies that there is a role cop, no other reason to have a Miller. By waiting out day 1, you can look at players who may be the role cop, and leave scum in the dark about not just 1 but 2 town roles.

That's how I would play Miller. I strongly disagree with claiming day 1 because of the two town role implications. You get scum wanting to jump all around and hunt a role (role cop) and gives them someone they are reasonably sure they can avoid at night. Even if the gambit was to do exactly that, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Like Sophia I'm not sure I could play completely under the radar with a true never reveal Miller role, but I would try for at least one day

I don't trust them because it automatically implies another role exists (role cop). Very few day one claims can make that same assumption.

So Cabot is saying we have X other role
its why I don't trust miller claims on principle day 1
because why else would there be a miller. However, he could also be scum trying to hide in plain sight.

He could also be neutral and is trying to get ahead of any sort of claims/actions, but that is less so.

You are right about 1 thing, it's doesn't make sense to me for town to fake claim Miller.

It does have that implication, but that hasn't stopped millers from being in quite a few games before, so it's not something that would make me default to the idea that he must be lying.

It does have that implication, but that hasn't stopped millers from being in quite a few games before, so it's not something that would make me default to the idea that he must be lying.

True, maybe it's the come down from love boat.

What else are we discussing other than the possibility of a Miller?

Kawl_USC

How would I play Miller? I would wait out day 1 and claim at the start of day 2. Mainly because of the implications of a role cop. Miller implies that there is a role cop, no other reason to have a Miller. By waiting out day 1, you can look at players who may be the role cop, and leave scum in the dark about not just 1 but 2 town roles.

That's how I would play Miller. I strongly disagree with claiming day 1 because of the two town role implications. You get scum wanting to jump all around and hunt a role (role cop) and gives them someone they are reasonably sure they can avoid at night. Even if the gambit was to do exactly that, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Like Sophia I'm not sure I could play completely under the radar with a true never reveal Miller role, but I would try for at least one day

Flip side of that argument is it helps a role cop narrow down a good target/stops them from wasting a night 1 investigation. And/or revealing themselves if they are quicker on the jump at day 2 start than the miller assuming they are fine with a 1 for 1 trade (a bad move, but hey nobody plays optimally all the time).

But your position does make more sense to me now. Not sure I agree all the way, especially for players who tend to end up more in the spotlight of night actions, but thanks for clarifying.

Sophia, for your position, do you think the immediate claim gives a good point of discussion for day 1 versus the standard lynch or no lynch, neutrals, win condition talking points we usually beat to death?

Kawl_USC

True, maybe it's the come down from love boat.

What else are we discussing other than the possibility of a Miller?

How can town prevent the clown fiesta that sometimes comes down on day one in terms of town claim palooza? (thinking of wwe)

I understand if you are a town PR and on the chopping block you don't want to go down without throwing out a claim, but when it leads to something like 3 town PRs out before the end of day 1, town has kind of boned itself, right?

Sophia

Honestly... how well do you expect scum to actually be doing that tho? They still have to avoid outing themselves.

Flip side of that argument is it helps a role cop narrow down a good target/stops them from wasting a night 1 investigation. And/or revealing themselves if they are quicker on the jump at day 2 start than the miller assuming they are fine with a 1 for 1 trade (a bad move, but hey nobody plays optimally all the time).

But your position does make more sense to me now. Not sure I agree all the way, especially for players who tend to end up more in the spotlight of night actions, but thanks for clarifying.

Sophia, for your position, do you think the immediate claim gives a good point of discussion for day 1 versus the standard lynch or no lynch, neutrals, win condition talking points we usually beat to death?

In contrast to Zipped, I believe it gives us an idea of the game design... but not much beyond that. Yeah, scum know there's a cop now if Cabot is being truthful about his claim. But they're not any closer to killing that cop, and it gives the cop just as much information.

I didn't scale this game because that line of meta annoys me. So we could be anywhere between "everyone is ordinary" to "I decided to send you all the wrong role PMs"

Ok.

Vote: StarSketch

Mentioning crab sacle /triggered.

Also, we've got too many S names in the game and Gorlak beat me to my Squidyj vote, so here you go lassie.

Ohyou.jpg

How can town prevent the clown fiesta that sometimes comes down on day one in terms of town claim palooza? (thinking of wwe)

I understand if you are a town PR and on the chopping block you don't want to go down without throwing out a claim, but when it leads to something like 3 town PRs out before the end of day 1, town has kind of boned itself, right?

There's a general tendency for people to just chuck votes around and hope someone panics or band wagons. And of course, people panicking causes Ill-timed claims.

Kawl_USC

Ok.

Ohyou.jpg

There's a general tendency for people to just chuck votes around and hope someone panics or band wagons. And of course, people panicking causes Ill-timed claims.

Right and I get that.

I'm just asking/wanting to bring it to every one's mind that, maybe just maybe, we can go ahead and think about what each of us would do if we are on the chopping block at days end. Getting lynched as town sucks, but it might be a bit better to take your lumps instead of creating a claim train and exposing multiple PRs versus just the one, yea?

nukedeggs

Hi all! Hyped for the bachelor party :D

Anyways my thoughts in regards to Cabot's Miller claim is that we should keep him alive for now. Claiming miller D1 forces a lot of scrutiny to be placed on him. If Cabot is telling the truth, then scum would want to keep him alive because there will always be that uncertainty there, and regardless of his alignment, for him to stay alive he'll have to be useful to Town so as to survive the extra scrutiny.

Zipped, you bring up an interesting point in regards to Miller claiming D2. I agree with you that scum would want to avoid hitting the Miller, but when it comes to scum role-hunting, it seems as though scum would be keeping their eyes out for power roles anyways, so I don't see how a miller claim would significantly impact that.

squidyj

Right and I get that.

I'm just asking/wanting to bring it to every one's mind that, maybe just maybe, we can go ahead and think about what each of us would do if we are on the chopping block at days end. Getting lynched as town sucks, but it might be a bit better to take your lumps instead of creating a claim train and exposing multiple PRs versus just the one, yea?

I'm crimsonfist.

squidyj

No squidy, you are supposed to pick some one due to a random comment and never relent on them. What is this rng bs?

#notmysquid
#whichsquillary
#feeltheflame

yknow, when you're the cop you don't want to draw that much attention to yourself.

Flame_AC

I think that right, now, eliminating the uncertainty of Cabot is a safe bet for today if we can't get anything else to go on.

A safe lynch isn't the best, but it will get us through a potentially tumultuous Day 1 and Night 1.

squidyj

I think that right, now, eliminating the uncertainty of Cabot is a safe bet for today if we can't get anything else to go on.

A safe lynch isn't the best, but it will get us through a potentially tumultuous Day 1 and Night 1.

did you have any line of questioning or reasoning that might help us find a better lynch or were you just hoping that nobody would notice you were being useless?

Kawl_USC

Strong disagree. At the very least, we can count on Cabot to be a very active poster so unless he actually does something that is a bit suspect I won't be voting for him.

Flame_AC

did you have any line of questioning or reasoning that might help us find a better lynch or were you just hoping that nobody would notice you were being useless?

I don't have anything that I feel comfortable asking him about in view of the scum, so no. I imagine he's not being entirely truthful, regardless of his alignment, so I'm fine with him right now.

Kawl's post seems like a disagreement for the sake of disagreeing and saying something obvious. You're just saying he was good in the past and it's Day 1, might as well keep him around.

Top Bottom