• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Consoles to replace Cable boxes and the connected home starts in 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can now order in bulk (5 for $90 each) STBs for what soon coming.

Bluetimes RK3288 Android 4.4 Quad Core Cortex A17 1.8GHz TV BOX 4K x 2K HDMI2.0 Media Player 2G/8G Bluetooth4.0 5G Wifi

Bluetimes-RK3288-Android-4-4-Quad-Core-Cortex-A17-1-8GHz-TV-BOX-4K-x-2K.jpg_140x140.jpg

** Supports 3D blu-ray and Blu-ray ISO format video with 8GB Nandflash.**

I found in a EU letter an example use where a game console could control and Play from a Blu-ray player over the home network (Diskless game console coming?). That requires Playready DRM and one of the new BLU-ray players coming at the end of this year. The ability to play an ISO file (Industry Standard Image of a BLU-ray disk) supports this is coming. In a firmware update the PS4 and XB1 should support this as a Media Hub (Blu-ray disk DLNA server).

Don't buy these YET as they need to be certified and the Manufacturer needs to load Playready support and to be fully enabled for what's coming, Android L.

Keep cable but lose the box with VidiPath, a new wireless way to watch

DLNA-Vidipath

Moore told us the first approved VidiPath devices will begin hitting the market as early as the second quarter of this year.

“there are (game) consoles that I know of that will be VidiPath certified as well.” With Sony in the mix, it’s not a stretch to assume the PS4 could incorporate the technology. And DLNA Marketing Manager Katie Gengler also hinted that TV manufacturers are looking into firmware updates that could potentially make some existing smart TVs compatible with VidiPath. While we’re still waiting for the VidiPath veil to be lifted, it appears the protocol will hit the ground running once it premieres in the next few months.
And the PS3 is getting Playready DRM which I think means it will also be a certified Vidipath platform.

Windows 10 arriving in summer; pirates getting free upgrades

Windows 10 (MSFT +0.1%) "will be available this summer in 190 countries and 111 languages," OS chief Terry Myerson writes in a blog post. COO Kevin Turner previously said Windows 10 would be available in in late summer or early fall.
Meanwhile, during a talk with Reuters, Myerson stated Microsoft will be "upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10." He asserts Microsoft's goal with the initiative is to "re-engage" with Chinese Windows users, a huge percentage of whom have pirated copies.

To further its Chinese Windows reach, Microsoft has struck distribution deals with Lenovo, Tencent, and Qihoo; Lenovo will offer Windows 10 "upgrade services" at 2,500 service centers and retail stores, while Tencent and Qihoo will provide the OS to the hundreds of millions of users of their Web services.

In January, Microsoft promised Windows 10, which contains many features meant to win over enterprises that shunned Windows 8, would be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8.1 users. The company has suggested it will rely more on services to monetize Windows (already free or discounted for smaller/cheaper hardware) going forward.
NeoGAF has a thread on this with some very good observations.

Months ago I speculated that Microsoft would use game streaming from and to the XB1 to leverage Windows PCs back into homes in China and I SPECULATED Windows 10 would release this summer, contrary to previous October/November releases, to have it on-line for the US DLNA CVP2 = Vidipath FCC mandate June 2015. Services, which can't easily be pirated, will be the main source of revenue for Microsoft and Sony.

This reinforces my view that the Connected home (Media-(IPTV), game streaming, WebGL-Browser, IoT, VOIP/Video chat) is/was a way to gain/regain market share and with China the only successful strategy. The PS4 and XB1 were designed with this strategy in mind and will game stream and be media hubs to other platforms in the home including blu-ray streaming to certified platforms over the home network. .

Blu-ray streaming comfirmed!

Some interesting fact and supported speculation:

1) The PS4 should be able to play 4K blu-ray
2) DTLA in 2010? planned on streaming blu-ray over the home network but the ecosystem didn't develop. VIdipath is now that ecosystem.
3) 4K blu-ray plans call for a bridge to home and portable players where media can be copied and played on tablets and TVs.

DigitalBridge1-640x474.png

Playready DRM supports the use cases in the Digital bridge slides. In this proposal for Digital bridge, again a Sony proposal it mentions C-ENC (Common encryption) which supports multiple DRM schemes but requires the same format used by Playready as does HTML5 <video> ME.

One of the use cases supports the blu-ray disk menu allowing the entire disk functionality not just the movie. That requires Java in the player and Java as well as Javascript are required for XTV and IoT apps and will be in Vidipath clients.

Again; Vidipath platforms have Playready certified DRM and plans are to stream and copy movies and games between platforms. Notice the Sony media SERVER in the following picture is blocked out but you can see it's mounted upright on a stand like only a PS3 or PS4 can be mounted. Notice in the above 4K Digital Bridge slide it's from Sony pictures. The digital bridge will allow copying a Blu-ray disk to hard disk and allow it to be SERVED to a player or TV. Everyone missed this. The 4K digital bridge is also for media serving and copying to local and remote Hard Disks.

Vidipath and the digital bridge allow access to media from any DRM secure platform in the home. No longer do you have to insert a disk into a player to watch the movie or have the blu-ray player in the same room connected to the TV. This June you can watch TV or access Cable TV DVR Movies from any TV provided it supports Vidipath or has a Vidipath STB or Game Console attached to it.

p1030434.jpg

When are reporters going to get it?

Microsoft and Sony are pushing the connected home with game and media streaming...we haven't seen anything yet. And yes I've been posting on this for two years. Read the links and the post above this one!

This is also why I think we will see a refreshed Xbox 360 mini as rumored and maybe a PS3. BC over the home network, game streaming from last generation Xbox 360 (maybe PS3) and this generation XB1 & PS4 to any HTML5 browser.

XBOX refreshes and accessories coming but what?

Terabyte drives coming in late 2015 XB1 and PS4 to store blu-ray movies?

Considering that the PS4 BD player does not support triple layers or the expanded double layer format mandated by UHD Blu-Ray, I very much doubt this is the case.
All modern blu-ray players support multiple layers. I mentioned this in a cite.

2) There is a patent from Sony describing how they might implement 4K blu-ray and the issue is that older drives can support it and that creates DRM issues. Their fix is to invert the track info on 4 K disks so older drives can't support 4K but 4K drives can still support standard blu-ray.

le-seb

Considering that the PS4 BD player does not support triple layers or the expanded double layer format mandated by UHD Blu-Ray, I very much doubt this is the case.
What makes you think it doesn't?

Reading 33 GB per layer instead of 25 GB doesn't require special hardware, and is a Sony (and Panasonic) invention they have been using with BD-XL.
Being able to access a third layer requires a more powerful laser diode, but Sony has been producing BD-XL laser diodes for a while, now (hint: BD-XL are up to four 33 GB layers.)

Edit : Okay, so I need to retract this a bit. Reading 33 GB layers doesn't require new optics per se, but the use of the i-MLSE error correction standard seems to be pretty resource intensive, which may explain why older drives couldn't be upgraded to support it. And after researching a bit more, it looks like being able to read a third layer is just a matter of changing the optical lens' focus. Which most modern optical pickups should already be able to do (since they already do this to read the second layer). More power is only needed when writing to the disk.

Don't forget that Sony is a founding member of both the Blu-ray Disc Association and the HDMI Forum.
As such, they already had serious clues of how these norms were going to evolve in the mid term when they designed the PS4.
They certainly haven't overlooked these evolutions.

geordiemp

Reading 33 GB per layer instead of 25 GB doesn't require special hardware, and is a Sony (and Panasonic) invention they have been using with BD-XL.
Being able to access a third layer requires a more powerful laser diode, but Sony has been producing BD-XL laser diodes for a while, now (hint: BD-XL are up to four 33 GB layers.)

Don't forget that Sony is a founding member of both the Blu-ray Disc Association and the HDMI Forum.
As such, they already had serious clues of how these norms were going to evolve in the mid term when they designed the PS4.

So does anybody know if the Ps4 already have in the better laser diode ?

So does anybody know if the Ps4 already have in the better laser diode ?
Gesh, we are talking going from 2 layer to 3 and le-seb's cite has Sony in 2010 releasing a more RELIABLE and powerful diode that supports 4 layer.

What drive after 2012 doesn't support reading BDXL 4 layer? The more expensive BDXL burner drives are $44.

There are three issues:

1) reading 3 layer disks which I think is a lock
2) Supporting the HEVC codec. I've already pointed out that AMD's Kaveri supports HEVC with a Xtensa IVP and both the PS4 and XB1 have multiple Xtensa processors. The PS4 has the Xtensa processors in Southbridge.
3) HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 The PS4 has a custom Panasonic HDMI chip. HDMI 1.4 chips have the encryption take place in the HDMI chip with negotiation between the transmitter and receiver (HDMI chip in the PS4 and TV). Best practice and Movie studio requirements want the HDCP encryption to take place in the same chip that decodes the blu-ray encryption (audio and video) and that is the PS4 southbridge. With a custom faster clock HDMI chip that passes the HDCP negotiation to Southbridge the PS4 can support HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0.
4) Movie studios want watermarking on the "digital bridge" copy and the Xtensa IVP can emulate a GPU so that watermarking is on every copy likely in every frame hopefully off screen.

My post several above this one has a Vidipath STB advertised as supporting streamed blu-ray and 4K blu-ray. It is an example of what's coming after July of this year. Buy a PS4 or be very careful shopping for the TV or STB that supports Vidipath as the manufacturer is responsible for Playready certification and firmware updates.

le-seb

I'll add to your third point that even the HDMI Forum is saying in its FAQ that depending on the device, the upgrade from HDMI 1.x to 2.0 could be done with a simple firmware update:
Can my existing HDMI 1.x devices be upgraded with HDMI 2.0 features?
Currently, there are no provisions for doing such an upgrade. Because of the new enhanced feature set, any such conversion would require hardware and/or firmware upgrades. If there are such conversions, it would come from the manufacturer. Please check with them directly.
Notice it's 'and/or', and not 'and' or 'and possibly'.

I think the technical possibility could exist in the case of the PS4.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/next-tv/abi-sees-surge-vidipath-certified-devices/390664 said:
ABI Research projects that VidiPath-certified devices will be available in about 40% of all U.S. cable homes that subscribe to “advanced services” by 2016, expanding to 70% by 2020.

If additional capabilities are added to VidiPath in the coming years (such as cloud-based deployment models and support by OTT video providers), ABI said adoption among the advanced cable service footprint could grow to 100%.
Add 4K blu-ray digital bridge as an additional capability.

Does this mean that in the UK they can force you to pay for a TV license on top xbox live gold and other subscriptions because "it can receive a signal" - the line the sand before you have to pay for a tv license.

Does this mean that in the UK they can force you to pay for a TV license on top xbox live gold and other subscriptions because "it can receive a signal" - the line the sand before you have to pay for a tv license.

You have to pay the TV license if you watch or record broadcast TV. If you solely consume non-broadcast, i.e. catch-up, on-demand, etc, then you do not need a TV license.

Edit : Okay, so I need to retract this a bit. Reading 33 GB layers doesn't require new optics per se, but the use of the i-MLSE error correction standard seems to be pretty resource intensive, which may explain why older drives couldn't be upgraded to support it. And after researching a bit more, it looks like being able to read a third layer is just a matter of changing the optical lens' focus. Which most modern optical pickups should already be able to do (since they already do this to read the second layer). More power is only needed when writing to the disk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc said:
On January 1, 2010, Sony, in association with Panasonic, announced plans to increase the storage capacity on their Blu-ray Discs from 25 GB to 33.4 GB via a technology called i-MLSE (Maximum likelihood Sequence Estimation). The higher-capacity discs, according to Sony, will be readable on current Blu-ray Disc players with a firmware upgrade. No date has been set to include the increased space, although in 2010 Blu-ray.com reported that "it will likely happen sometime later this year."[77]
It appears the DISK has the changes requiring just a firmware update to the player. I found this paper that explains the need only occurs with 33 GB/layer rather than the standard 25 GB.

AGAIN; the Sony patent I referenced assumes older drives can read 4K blu-ray disks and the cite above the same. The changes occurred (after 2010) at the same time as the Laser article you cited.

For the most part I don't have a clue what you're talking about Jeff but I recognise some words and it makes me excited if it means what I think it does.

PS4 HDMI 2.0 and 4K/UHD Blu-Ray compatible?

For the most part I don't have a clue what you're talking about Jeff but I recognise some words and it makes me excited if it means what I think it does.

PS4 HDMI 2.0 and 4K/UHD Blu-Ray compatible?
Yes but I don't expect it to be announced till sometime around October which is when Game Console refreshes are released. That in my opinion caused a misunderstanding with Netflix stating they expected Sony to support 4K blu-ray in October when new consoles are released leading to articles that current versions couldn't support 4K blu-ray.

thread title not coming true anytime soon
When has always been a problem for me. What do you mean by not soon? And the following is an example of my posts being accurate, I posted on this in 2012 because of a EU power board letter to Microsoft and Sony about blu-ray streaming in the home. And I'll admit to being less than 90% accurate, maybe 80% or less if there isn't a Xbox 360 and PS3 refresh with AAA game streaming and low power modes (October-Nov) soon.

This paper from 2001 spells out everything coming because it was obvious to industry leaders. "The coming together of the broadcast industry (TV programmes), the entertainment industry (movies, games) and the Internet (World Wide Web, email, chatting and e-commerce, or t-commerce as it is referred to in the context of television) creates an enormous momentum on the development of new content and new services."

RE: Digital bridge proposed in 2013

fox_digital_bridge_300.jpg

In the picture: "Move content rapidly to any device." ASSUMES DRM certified devices which are the Vidipath certified platforms. They must come first and be widely supported and available. So Vidpath platforms come before 4K blu-ray digital bridge hits the market.

There is a 100% certainty that Terabyte drives will be offered in the PS4 this year.
Used blu-ray disks should increase in value.

http://www.cepro.com/article/fox_home_entertainment_proposes_blu-ray_movie_servers_as_uhd_digital_bridge/ said:
By Julie Jacobson, October 21, 2013
Mike Dunn, president of 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, thinks we need an easier way to manage high-def content. He is calling on Hollywood and consumer electronics manufacturers to work together to create a Blu-ray player with terabytes of space for storing and managing content, including 4K Ultra HD.

During his keynote presentation at the CEA Industry Forum in Los Angeles this week, Dunn spoke of an &#8220;entertainment hub&#8221; that ushers consumers into the digital world. It would store and make TV shows and movies available to any device.

&#8220;Consumers would have the ability to copy their physical discs and store and manage their entire digital library in one centralized location&#8212;managed in the living room,&#8221; he says, &#8220;where most content is viewed on the big screen.&#8221;

To that end, he says, 20th Century Fox recently is launching an &#8220;Innovation Lab&#8221; to foster &#8220;relationships with CE and tech companies to start early in the innovation cycle.&#8221;

Anyway, he says this &#8220;Digital Bridge is really the platform for the future&#8221; and that &#8220;we must build it together.&#8221;

And then, he adds, &#8220;Everyone can innovate around that for the next 10 years.&#8221;
This is what I have been saying, the PS4 and XB1 are entertainment hubs supporting blu-ray streaming and more.

As to timing, Vidipath platform information is now being provided via webinar to Technical writers and I suspect that the entire CE industry will jump into advertising and consumer education at the same time. Certified platforms have not been announced just that more than 20 are being certified.

Any older platform with ARM trustzone or Playready already in an embedded platform like a TV with a browser and DLNA support likely already supports RVU and should be firmware updated to support Vidipath. Certification and registration with DTLA so that DRM keys can be registered and a on-line server with those keys is necessary for Playready and it's subset used for DTCP-IP. Firmware updates and a server going on-line allows almost instant support for platforms already on the market like the PS4 and possibly the PS3.

infographic.jpg

Ultraviolet is the Cloud digital bridge to the 4K blu-ray Home Digital bridge with technology developed for Ultraviolet adopted by the industry for HTML5 <video> ME and Vidipath. Just as Cable companies have been supporting VOD, second screen and other advanced features via the cloud (OTT), the same technologies as STANDARDS will be built into Vidipath with a common DRM and DRM Key server used by all cable companies and able to be used by 4k blu-ray's digital bridge.

Changing PayTV - VidiPath Technology Webinar is an overview Webinar for the Cable TV provider. Long, some parts boring but many interesting points. Currently Vidipath delivery this June from a Cable TV provided Gateway DVR will be about $95 with up to 5 consumer owned devices licensed ($6). If you have three TVs you will be paying about the same but will have HD and additional features phased in over the 2015-2017 timeframe provided you have internet service.

In 2017 IPTV delivery with hardware will be about $80 to up to 5 devices (no DVR needed and $60 of that is programming cost). You will be required to have internet service. Playstation Vue is $50.

Vidipath is future proofed and toward the end of the video a timetable for additional features are provided out to 2020.

Marketing and adoption rates are discussed. $200 rebate with the purchase of a Smart TV and 2 year Cable TV Vidipath subscription or free Tablet with Cable TV Vidipath subscription (already being implemented).
Universal 7 button remote mentioned.
Only one APP needed for all Cable TV services
Multiple APPs for Netflix, Hulu and other IPTV services will not be needed on Vidipath platforms because of HTML5 <video> ME...everything runs on the browser so IPTV APPs will just be Browser Favorite buttons.

CableLabs® VidiPath Interoperability Event June 15-19, 2015

In conjunction with CableLabs’ ongoing publicity efforts, CableLabs may digitally record certain aspects of this Interop event. While every effort to maintain your company’s proprietary technology will be respected, you may be photographed or videotaped as a participant and may be requested to provide voluntary commentary or testimonial remarks.

What this means is that there is very little chance that Vidipath will be implemented this June but we should finally get an idea of WHO and WHAT is being certified and will be part of the rollout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom