• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer May 2008 Issue - Reviews, Etc.

J-Rzez

Ariexv said:
The thing is with good netcode and a decent internet connection most games don't need dedicated servers, it's only the 30+ player games that need them(I think I've seen lag less then 5 times since I got my launch 360)... and even then it still presents the problem of the servers eventually shutting down. I don't doubt that R2 will be a good game but blow away and bring FPS games on console to a new lvl is getting kind of ridiculous and really has no merits, R1 did nothing of the sort and while R2 looks like it'll offer a couple improvements upon stuff that has already been done it's hardly as insane as Wollan makes it out to be. R1 was a solid FPS but nothing spectacular(like gears/CoD4/Halo3) and Insomniac really hasn't shown anything to change that.

I have a good internet connection (10d/1u) and I can notice lag on basically any of even the 3 games you mentioned among others 5 times in one sitting. Not for one second will anyone tell me differently after pc gaming all these years, and seeing how well Resistance/Warhawk run with Dedicated servers. I've seen rooms with 8 people in Gears, CoD4, H3, TF2, all lag with that rediculously low amount of players. I haven't seen Resistance lag with 8-40 players in a room. I'm not going to sway my opinion until I see a game that changes this, which stands, true dedicated servers > others. Server shut down is evaded by thing like allowing people to host their own games later on as well, it doesn't have to be one or the other, and games do that now.

What games really haven't done stuff others haven't before it? PC shooters have been doing shit most console games have for years now. R2 doesn't look like anything atm, we don't know what all Insomniac is bringing to the table. We just know the simple bare-bones numbers on it: 8-player co-op with side story, regular campaign, 60-player battles. The games still under tight wraps, what was Insomniac supposed to show? Only thing we know is about some reporters getting to test it out and say what Insomniac is doing to contain these battles, inspire teamwork, is pretty amazing. Take it for what it's worth. And I'm pretty competitive, plus enjoy my FPS games, and the way the game ran, ai, and overall gameplay, R1 was better than H3 and Gears, only CoD4 able to edge it out in the end.

Just like Gears though. We don't know nothing really besides the promise of better graphics, better story, and hopefully not a half assed online. Since the first sold so damn well, they better work on the key elements of the game this time, instead of being a tech showcase.

Top Bottom