• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer October Cover: Super Mario Bros. U

Tagg9

The screens really do look quite lovely. I imagine the game must look incredible in motion (and in 720p... and 60fps).

jman2050

I hate to admit it because I think they're both lunatics, but I have two good friends who are both very much on the same page as Heavy. :(

I hope he's wrong, but he may not be in as small a minority as I'd like to believe.

Eh, the best selling titles have and continue to be the fun, gamey-type games (I can't believe I have to actually clarify this distinction) so I think he's pretty far off-base there.

Ridley327

On this note they really need, and I mean NEED to highlight which stages have hidden exits this time like SMW itself.

Yeah, I agree; NSMB2 could be a pain at times when it came to finding those, outside of using the general rule of thumb that Ghost House=secret exit.

zroid

Banned
Eh, the best selling titles have and continue to be the fun, gamey-type games (I can't believe I have to actually clarify this distinction) so I think he's pretty far off-base there.

I didn't mean to imply they're a majority or anything silly like that, but just that these people do exist!! And they aren't all that rare. D:

On this note they really need, and I mean NEED to highlight which stages have hidden exits this time like SMW itself.

this cannot be emphasized enough :(

it really sucks to feel like you're cheating by looking something up that should have been in the game to begin with.

Anth0ny

I am freaking out right now.

It looks like the New! series has finally caught up to Super Mario World.

Maybe it's time to drop the moniker, since its entire existence is based on lifting certain elements from old Mario games and, well, not really doing anything "new". The nostalgia well is dry at this point.

That being said, SMW is my favorite 2D Mario, so hype is slowing increasing for NSMB U.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The new info looks great and confirms a lot of optimistic theories thrown around about the game.

The one thing that people are probably going to continue to roast the game and Nintendo over is that it's not four player online, despite the fact that lauded platformers like Rayman Origins don't have four player online either.

Honestly, I'm not sure how feasible it is at 60fps. Playing NSMB2 co-op over local wi-fi reveals not infrequent stutter and slowdown synching two clients like that with zero input delay. 4 player online in LittleBigPlanet has a reputation for being a lagfest. I know a lot of people think all games should be online and that network technology is magic... but this is a case where, if Nintendo flat out says "online play in NSMB U would result in a compromised experience" they should be given the benefit of a doubt.

Some people will then say "who cares just give it to us!" as if they do not care that the force-f**ked final product would be unplayable anyway.

Like I've been playing Guild Wars 2 several hours a day since it came out. It blows my mind people would use that time to play a platformer when there's incredible games like this available to you. Except on like a cell phone when you're out of the house. It would feel like a complete waste of time. No goals, nothing to strive for except beating your score or what have you. Platformers are just a really bad, archaic, boring genre imo.

Before this, I thought you were being relatively reasonable in justifying your opinion. Now you're just attacking other people for their tastes >_>

StuBurns

Banned
I'm sure those games are amazing, but for some reason, I've thought pretty poorly of all the NSMBs games so far, and I hate the way they look. I'm really not sure why either, Super Mario Galaxy completely blew me away, and I love that art style in 3D, but there's something about the 'new' 2D games that's just poor for me.

Having said that, the cover art is still not really what the games look like, they're not that bad, yet at least.

Kacho

It looks like the New! series has finally caught up to Super Mario World.

Maybe it's time to drop the moniker, since its entire existence is based on lifting certain elements from old Mario games and, well, not really doing anything "new". The nostalgia well is dry at this point.

That being said, SMW is my favorite 2D Mario, so hype is slowing increasing for NSMB U.

We still have Yoshi's Island, man. La creme de la creme.

Alex

The art is still blah, but at least it aestheticly actually looks like a sequel this time, and not just a remix.

RagnarokX

I am SUPER hyped right now. Finally some good variety.

So... giving you the same tropes as the games that "don't have variety", but giving the tropes goofy names, solves the problem... If only Nintendo knew it was this easy they'd have done it with NSMB2.

Plains, Water World, Ice World, Desert World, Forest World, Sky World = awful.

Acorn Plains, Sparkling Waters, Frosted Glacier, Layer Cake Desert, Forest of Illusion, Sky world = finally more variety!

zroid

Banned
So... giving you the same tropes as the games that "don't have variety", but giving the tropes goofy names, solves the problem... If only Nintendo knew it was this easy they'd have done it with NSMB2.

Plains, Water World, Ice World, Desert World, Forest World, Sky World = awful.

Acorn Plains, Sparkling Waters, Frosted Glacier, Layer Cake Desert, Forest of Illusion, Sky world = finally more variety!

It sounds like they are going to be riffing on those themes a lot more. Remains to be seen, certainly, but I think there is good reason to be excited.

This is the most devastating quote I've ever seen on NeoGAF. Forget "Square Enix Just Shot Themselves In The Foot" or the nonsense spewed in the Uncharted 8/10 thread. This damning condemnation of a game for being "pure gameplay" is the spawn of a gaming mindset I do not ever wish to understand.

Even more telling to me is the insinuation that 2D platform games are "wasting time"... implying his preferred videogame is not. The self-importance is amazing. It's like, get the fuck over yourself, know what I mean?

This is without doubt, one of the stupidest things I have ever read. Ah man, it made me laugh.

Even more telling to me is the insinuation that 2D platform games are "wasting time"... implying his preferred videogame is not. The self-importance is amazing. It's like, get the fuck over yourself, know what I mean?

I expanded on it quite a bit in the following posts and I think I made some good points, but just ignore all of that and continue to harp on one or two sentences.

jrDev

I'm subscribed to this but I feel like I haven't got an issue in months...or the postman is stealing them...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Game Informer info, courtesy of Go Nintendo.

UNIFIED WORLD MAP? MULTIPLE BRANCHING PATHS?

3VkHB.gif

THANK YOU BASED TEZUKA

orioto

Good Art™
I'm late but the art in the magazine.. Those assets.. Is there a reason those are not the game assets ? Cause the WiiU could definitely handle that... Would be impressive at least.

Holy crap, did NOT expect that lol. Just giving my opinion, it's probably my least liked genre outside of ultra casual garb, for the aforementioned reasons.

First of all, I appreciate such a reasonable and well-thought out reply. I can totally see where you're coming from as well. For me, being skilled at something like that is not rewarding. I'd feel no satisfaction from being able to run through a hard level fast without dying, especially in a single-player game. Feels like a complete waste of time playing these games with ZERO story, the most basic of characters, little to no dialogue, just brutal. Even if it had all those aspects, I feel the gameplay is an utter bore. Just going from left to right, jumping, trial & error, random puzzles, not my thing. No customization, no loot, not much strategy, no planning, no atmosphere, no feeling of getting sucked into the world.

I'm REALLY surprised that opinion is controversial. There's no way I'm in a tiny minority with disliking this genre as these responses seem to imply. I'm feeling kinda blind-sided...

Like I've been playing Guild Wars 2 several hours a day since it came out. It blows my mind people would use that time to play a platformer when there's incredible games like this available to you. Except on like a cell phone when you're out of the house. It would feel like a complete waste of time. No goals, nothing to strive for except beating your score or what have you. Platformers are just a really bad, archaic, boring genre imo.

I'm the one who should come to terms with it? Look at those replies and say that again.

This is a Game Informer cover thread, not just about platformers. I figured there might be something more inside, a hint or previews of what else was in this month's mag, so I clicked it then saw that post and replied. Had no idea it would lead to that barrage.

GW2
Mass Effect
Deus Ex HR
Diablo 3 if it wasn't awful
Sleeping Dogs
Far Cry 3
Borderlands 2

That's my style. Can't imagine putting any significant time into a platformer when these types of games are out there. No way I'm in a minority with that opinion.

You can go even further with this type of thinking... we're all going to die anyway so why go to work and be constructive when it's all for nothing.

You're implying that platforming more "gamey" than other genres, which isn't true. Just because they lack story, atmosphere, memorable characters and such and mainly rely on gameplay doesn't mean they're more 'gamey' than other genres. Other genres can have just as much gameplay, much more in fact with much deeper mechanics, along with all those narrative aspects mentioned above. That's why I feel like it's a waste of time.

Sports games are a different beast altogether because they have such a strong connection to the real world. And no, I don't play puzzle or racing games.

A good story and characters cannot HURT any individual game. It could only improve it. This is an unobjectionable truth. You can have both. Why settle for less?

For example, if Transformers was remade with all the action scenes and special effects equal but it had a better plot behind it, higher quality dialogue, it would be a better film, despite the core aspects of the movie (the action and SFX) being the same -- this can't be denied.

Hobby? We're talking about a specific genre here. Don't put words in my mouth. That's like saying when we crap on Kinect and other super casual games we're mocking a hobby.

That wasn't the initial post that started it.

Dude, wtf. Like, seriously.

Platformers have offered some of the best gameplay in the industries history. I cannot believe you actually cant comprehend how people would love the platforming genre. Yes, open world games are fun. Yea, FPS are fun. Sure, fighting games are fun. But they don't invalidate the platforming genre anymore than platformers invalidate them.

Play them on your cell phone indeed, lol. Wow.

People just play a game where they enjoy the act of playing it? A bar doesn't go up and a man doesn't tell you how important a sword is?

Roto13

Dude, wtf. Like, seriously.

Platformers have offered some of the best gameplay in the industries history. I cannot believe you actually cant comprehend how people would love the platforming genre. Yes, open world games are fun. Yea, FPS are fun. Sure, fighting games are fun. But they don't invalidate the platforming genre anymore than platformers invalidate them.

Play them on your cell phone indeed, lol. Wow.

It's funny because story-driven games are a better fit for smartphones than platformers. :p

Fjordson

Another GI cover, another month where I feel foolish for hoping it was GTA V.

Mario bores me to tears, but I'm surprised some people don't see why it gets a cover. Marquee Mario game on a new platform is a pretty big deal for some people.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
He was only producer of Generations

HE MADE SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG THOUGH

OHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Who's the Mario equivalent of Shadow? Wario?

I'm all for another Wario game. 3D, 2D, handheld, console, good, bad. Let Iizuka at it.

Roto13

Who's the Mario equivalent of Shadow? Wario?

I'm all for another Wario game. 3D, 2D, handheld, console, good, bad. Let Iizuka at it.

Isn't there a Wii U Wario game in the works already? Or is that a Wario Ware game that's not called Wario Ware? I honestly don't remember.

Top Bottom