• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer October Cover: Super Mario Bros. U

I wasn't looking forward to NSMBU especially after playing NSMB2. I was just afraid it would be the same game with better graphics........looks like I was way off base. This makes me happy.

Who's the Mario equivalent of Shadow? Wario?

I'm all for another Wario game. 3D, 2D, handheld, console, good, bad. Let Iizuka at it.

Please I ask...do not compare the awesome Wario to the terrible Shadow.

Shadow is more like WaLuigi, only without the hilariously deformed face.

Jetku

Just finished reading the digital edition on the iPad. Tons of great screenshots for many Wii U games, especially Mario and Nintendo Land. Super hyped.

Edit:
Also, yoshi's island is part of the core series. And the Koopalings are no longer Bowser's kids, only Bowser Jr. Is. (I guess he lost custody..?)

Drago

The koopa troopa is dancing, that's how I know the game will be garbage. Wah wah!

untitled-1124fuh1.gif

Krabboss

Dancing Koopa > non-Dancing.

dwi.gif

You couldn't be more wrong! Those Koopas have horrible taste in music. As far as I know, they've only ever danced to the synthesized-voice-infested NSMB music! And they've been dancing to the same music for like 6 years now. I always put the music down real low and then put those poor Koopas out of their misery.

NateDrake

You couldn't be more wrong! Those Koopas have horrible taste in music. As far as I know, they've only ever danced to the synthesized-voice-infested NSMB music! And they've been dancing to the same music for like 6 years now. I always put the music down real low and then put those poor Koopas out of their misery.

ddrmariomix07.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

SUPERFLUOCITIES, MAN

We still have Yoshi's Island, man. La creme de la creme.

And SMB2/Doki Doki Panic.

I'm not sure what else to say, or how to put it into different words. I love action movies but I wouldn't watch a movie that was just pure action, no matter how good that action was. That's how I view platformers and I don't find the 'action' good in them in the first place which makes it even worse. This is way off-topic, send a pm my way if you want. Nobody ever pm's me

It's actually the inverse if you ask for me. A game focusing on story/graphics/etc. over gameplay is like a pure action movie with little in the way of story. In short, neither media playing to their strengths.

Holy crap, did NOT expect that lol. Just giving my opinion, it's probably my least liked genre outside of ultra casual garb, for the aforementioned reasons.

First of all, I appreciate such a reasonable and well-thought out reply. I can totally see where you're coming from as well. For me, being skilled at something like that is not rewarding. I'd feel no satisfaction from being able to run through a hard level fast without dying, especially in a single-player game. Feels like a complete waste of time playing these games with ZERO story, the most basic of characters, little to no dialogue, just brutal. Even if it had all those aspects, I feel the gameplay is an utter bore. Just going from left to right, jumping, trial & error, random puzzles, not my thing. No customization, no loot, not much strategy, no planning, no atmosphere, no feeling of getting sucked into the world.

I'm REALLY surprised that opinion is controversial. There's no way I'm in a tiny minority with disliking this genre as these responses seem to imply. I'm feeling kinda blind-sided...

Like I've been playing Guild Wars 2 several hours a day since it came out. It blows my mind people would use that time to play a platformer when there's incredible games like this available to you. Except on like a cell phone when you're out of the house. It would feel like a complete waste of time. No goals, nothing to strive for except beating your score or what have you. Platformers are just a really bad, archaic, boring genre imo.

I'm the one who should come to terms with it? Look at those replies and say that again.

This is a Game Informer cover thread, not just about platformers. I figured there might be something more inside, a hint or previews of what else was in this month's mag, so I clicked it then saw that post and replied. Had no idea it would lead to that barrage.

GW2
Mass Effect
Deus Ex HR
Diablo 3 if it wasn't awful
Sleeping Dogs
Far Cry 3
Borderlands 2

That's my style. Can't imagine putting any significant time into a platformer when these types of games are out there. No way I'm in a minority with that opinion.

Funny how you say no strategy, yet go on to include Diablo on your list. Click-fests offer little in the way of strategy, and not much in the way of twitch reflexes to compensate. They offer way less in terms of gameplay than platformers, which ideally are heavy on the latter.

I don't disagree that games can be made better by good narrative/characters/graphics/etc., but such things are no substitute for even better gameplay.

And there's no comparison between platformers and cell games.

Margalis

Banned
The screens really do look quite lovely. I imagine the game must look incredible in motion (and in 720p... and 60fps).

It does.

It's hard to describe why exactly - everything animates well and is very fluid. And stuff like the bendy stalks on platforms looking like smooth curves.

It's a huge step up in terms of fidelity from NSBMWii.

BowieZ

Banned
Just finished reading the digital edition on the iPad. Tons of great screenshots for many Wii U games, especially Mario and Nintendo Land. Super hyped.

Edit:
Also, yoshi's island is part of the core series. And the Koopalings are no longer Bowser's kids, only Bowser Jr. Is. (I guess he lost custody..?)
excellent

RobbieNick

Thing is, I don't dislike Mario. In fact, it used to be my absolute favorite franchise. Hell, I even loved Mario Sunshine, which came out when I was in college. I rebought Mario 64 on teh DS and got every star in it for what must have been the fifth or sixth time plus all the new ones. I platinumed Yoshi's Island (perfect score on every level) and bought New Super Mario Bros on DS the day it came out even though I was on vacation and had to go out of my way to find a copy.

But the new 2D Marios starting with the DS one, I don't really see any argument that they are are not far less original and inventive than the series used to be and they are a far cry from the creativity that has continued in the 3D games.

And I love 2D games. I love 2D artwork and the precision that 2D gameplay can bring. But New Super Mario Bros Wii was so uninspired and boring I gave up half way through. And the two Mario's this year look to only continue that terrible trend. It breaks my heart. I really want to love this series again but Nintendo is running it into the damn ground.

I get what people are saying when they say "Hey but there are millions of annualized dude bro games." I complain about those too. But to be completely honest, I frankly can stand playing one or two of those a year over a boring uninspired Mario game. At least those games have lots of high production values and ridiculous set pieces to keep me entertained for the five or so hours they last.

I keep looking for a sign that Wii U New Super Mario Bros will offer something new and I keep getting disappointed with every new piece of info I find out about it. I mean, it wouldn't even take much for me. If they even fucking took a chance with a different art style. Go back to hand drawn 2D, use ultra saturated bloom, or cell shading, or hyper realized CG. Something. Anything. The look of these games is tired. Not to mention that we just keep getting a circle jerk of nostalgia of the same exact enemies and references over and over again. It no longer works on me. I want new mechanics, new enemies and environments. An overhaul is long over due.

The DS, Wii, and 3DS game are virtually the same damn game and here is another one, it seems. Four games that all look and play the same with little in the way of new mechanics is far too many. Especially for such a revered franchise. And for the record, Halo deserved the same criticism but it seems at least they finally got the message with Halo 4. Though it took a new team. Maybe that's what Nintendo needs too. The team working on it is too afraid to to take any chances or at least views the gameplay and aesthetics as too sacrosanct to change.

If I were you, I'd seriously check out NSMB2. I was not a fan of the last two games in the series, but this one has some excellent level design in comparison. Even though it's basically the same graphics and music, they did a great job in making how the levels play out innovative. Also, I love Gold Rush. I've been kicking ass against everyone on streetpass. This is the first NSMB I've come back to for more. Hell, I couldn't even finish NSMB Wii because it was so damn boring and plain.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Please don't tell me this is another side scroller.

AniHawk

Please don't tell me this is another side scroller.

it's actually an open world fighting game.

and i know what you mean man. sidescrollers are just everywhere these days. you can barely find anything good at the store without searching through piles upon piles of sidescrollers.

Chopper

and i know what you mean man. sidescrollers are just everywhere these days. you can barely find anything good at the store without searching through piles upon piles of sidescrollers.
Ha ha. This thread is great.

Indeed. It took me three and a half hours to find a first person shooter at the store today.

magash

lol...I don't know why but that got me

Suairyu

Banned
God I hate the New series art style.
I hate the NSMB art as much as the next guy, but this is the first title in the series I think looks nice. The backgrounds finally have some detail and life to them, and the added resolution makes everything pop and look so clean.

Kokonoe

Banned
I notice Baby Yoshi is shown a lot, does that mean it's separate to the regular Yoshi now? Or does it work like Super Mario World?

daakusedo

I finished nsmb2 two weeks ago and I knew at one point we will begin the interesting media part. I was not saying much about the game cause there was nothing much at e3 and nsmb2 had shown good things during summer, but when I saw yesterday that those tiny pics in drops from the GI hub got me ready to see more, there's nothing I can do, I'm ready for a new mario game...

There was a tiny pic of those underground crystal platforms coming from each side of the screen, wish to see it bigger.

Mista Koo

I would love to have a version of that artwork without the foreground.

Also the toads should evolve to be unique characters now. Give Yvan a pair of shades and Wolley freckles and we're done.. oh wait ACTUAL NAMES too!

That squirrel Toad is so cute!
Agreed. I totally dropped Luigi for Wolley <3

I stared at my screen dumbfounded. First of all, just to amend your ignorance:
snip
Would love to see you apply your post on the NSMB series.

I don't agree with him by the way.

I know, I'm so sick of Nintendo's neverending trend of making sidescrolling platformers! It was bad enough in the GC era when they just kept throwing endless 2D Mario, Kirby and DK games at us....oh wait.

Top Bottom