• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Books 1 and 3 were the only interesting Dany storylines.

I see the issues with her this season but they're very much sourced from the original book. If they spread out the Red Waste, people would complain that's boring too. Less screentime would be met with complaints by someone else I'm sure. There really isn't a good way to handle it.

Books 1 and 3 were the only interesting Dany storylines.

I see the issues with her this season but they're very much sourced from the original book. If they spread out the Red Waste, people would complain that's boring too. Less screentime would be met with complaints by someone else I'm sure. There really isn't a good way to handle it.

I think they should have changed her storyline more and moved up events from future books. This could actually help her plot line in the future, but I'm sure there are budgetary reasons and such they couldn't do this.

Speevy

Banned
Being whores and killing people probably.

I suppose so.

That dawned on me when I first started watching the show.

There's every indication of the sort of people that are vying for the iron throne, their various character traits.

There doesn't however seem to be any indication of what would be different for your average farmer with Robb Stark on the throne vs. Joffrey or Stannis.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I think they should have changed her storyline more and moved up events from future books. This could actually help her plot line in the future, but I'm sure there are budgetary reasons and such they couldn't do this.

While that'd be a good short-term solution, wouldn't that completely screw them on the back end when they actually get to the later books? Her story is already barren enough as it is without moving all the interesting stuff to the beginning. Then do they just make stuff up after they run out? Of course that's already an eventual possibility but I wouldn't be going and making it even more likely.

Having only read the first book (after seeing season 1), I expected Dany's plot line to be far more eventful in season 2. But really, nothing of importance has happened. If see leaves Qarth (sp?) with her dragons, she'll be back to where she was at the start of the season.

The limited acting ability of Emilia Clarke is just the final nail in the coffin. The times she needs to project anger or authority, she just comes of all whiney and annoying.

I think that is partially intentional, because she is just a teenage girl, so some of her attempts to project authority come up short.

You know what would have made Dany's stuff better this season?

I'll tell you what.

[ACoK]
STRONG BELWAS

Show speculation
That seems like a character that has a good chance of being cut.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Her journey is dragged out even more in the books, so I would say there was some abbreviation.
I disagree. Her story has been dragged out more on the show and the fact they probably won't be showing her final chapter this season proves me right.

[ACoK]
Before THotU she does almost nothing in the book so instead of speeding that nothingness up and getting to THotU sooner they drag it out and save THotU for the final episode where they have a bunch of other stuff going on. Imagine the season if THotU happened in episode 7 then Blackwater in 9 then Dany at the docks (plus all the other stuff they'll be showing) in the finale. That would have been one hell of a second half to the season.

While that'd be a good short-term solution, wouldn't that completely screw them on the back end when they actually get to the later books? Her story is already barren enough as it is without moving all the interesting stuff to the beginning. Then do they just make stuff up after they run out? Of course that's already an eventual possibility but I wouldn't be going and making it even more likely.

It's tough to know (general series spoilers)
without knowledge of what the end game is for her, but I don't think they can afford to leave things for her as they are in the books. I can't see the audience receiving her story well when 3 seasons from now Dany is stalling in Essos. AFFC and ADWD are going to have to be heavily restructured for better pacing and to be done on a TV budget as is. The showrunners have some really difficult decisions coming up.

FStop7

Banned
Show speculation

SHUT UP NO

He's my favorite character! He wants to wreck fools and eat liver and onions! That's it! Out of all the players with their machinations and motivations all he wants to do is party.

Show speculation

(acok/asos)
There was a lot of talk about Ser Barristan the past few episodes, I wouldn't count out Strong Belwas or at the very least "Mr Whitebeard" making an appearance in the finale. Obviously they want to keep the character in the minds of the watchers.

Speevy

Banned
Cut her screen time in half.

iX4f5W6QQ8y8W.gif

frequency

I'm late but...

I found this episode overly violent for my tastes. But I kind of expected that and I think it was a good episode. I think it was well done for what it was. This seemed like it would make a good season ender. I wonder what next week's episode will be. Hopefully with 300% more Jon Snow!

I think Stannis and Davos deserved more screen time. Tyrion was wonderful, as usual. I love him more with each episode.
Sandor Clegane I think got like three times more lines this episode than all of them combined. He's mean, but I think he's growing on me. I'm a little bothered by Sansa's constantly surprised-looking face.

In my heart, I kept wishing they would deviate from the books and let Stannis win this. I know that's ridiculous but... I find myself more enchanted by show-Stannis whenever we see him. It was such a great contrast to have him leading the charge at the very front while Joffrey hides behind the walls on the verge of crying.

If I wasn't so easily disturbed by excess violence, this would be a very high ranking episode. It was action packed and had a lot of character progression.

EDIT: And my tiny and useless contribution to the current discussion: Dany is a terrible character and I do not like her one bit.

bengraven

I wonder if Ros (not really a spoiler, just speculation based on events of the book series, but still at your own risk click)
is getting talked into going across the Narrow Sea by Varys. So then it's like Season 3! Ros now here with Dany! Season 4! Ros now here with Strong Belwas! Season 5! Ros now here with Penny!

Also, I love how Larry Williams is describing the battle in the beginning because he sounds just like Chapelle. 0:50 - 0:55.

Kosmo

Banned
I'm late but...

I found this episode overly violent for my tastes. But I kind of expected that and I think it was a good episode. I think it was well done for what it was. This seemed like it would make a good season ender. I wonder what next week's episode will be. Hopefully with 300% more Jon Snow!

I think Stannis and Davos deserved more screen time. Tyrion was wonderful, as usual. I love him more with each episode.
Sandor Clegane I think got like three times more lines this episode than all of them combined. He's mean, but I think he's growing on me. I'm a little bothered by Sansa's constantly surprised-looking face.

In my heart, I kept wishing they would deviate from the books and let Stannis win this. I know that's ridiculous but... I find myself more enchanted by show-Stannis whenever we see him. It was such a great contrast to have him leading the charge at the very front while Joffrey hides behind the walls on the verge of crying.

If I wasn't so easily disturbed by excess violence, this would be a very high ranking episode. It was action packed and had a lot of character progression.

EDIT: And my tiny and useless contribution to the current discussion: Dany is a terrible character and I do not like her one bit.

There is no way to make things not overly violent when you are fighting with swords and fire.

Krogan

I'm late but...

God no, that would cause a sea of shit from fans. Also this was a war between factions it needed to have massive amounts of violence.

frequency

There is no way to make things not overly violent when you are fighting with swords and fire.

I know. That's why I said I kind of expected it and I won't say this is a bad episode even though it was hard for me to watch. It's just my own weakness to violence imagery.

God no, that would cause a sea of shit from fans. Also this was a war between factions it needed to have massive amounts of violence.

I am aware that it could never have happened. I just wished it in my heart. But I know it can't have happened no matter what. I give the show extra credit for making me feel this way about Stannis.

On another note, I am so far removed from the books now, I wonder if I belong in the other thread more than here. But I've finally come to recognize some names in this thread. :(

AngryMoth

I'm curious how much input he has on the show, it is his but on the DVD extras how much of a presence is he?
Aside from the one episode a year that he writes I get the impression that he has very little input. Officially he is a 'consultant', but he doesn't oversee scripts or anything, its more like D&D just call him up occasionally when they have a questions for him.

frequency

Speaking of Robb, wasn't Tywin the only thing holding back his advance? So if Tywin went south to King's Landing, shouldn't Robb have a completely clear path down there too?

methodman

Banned
That was seriously the best hour of television I've ever seen. I hope they have one or two episodes per season with a huge battle after this one. Just riveting stuff.

btw - way too many people who have read the books posting in that no spoiler thread. A lot of them are posting spoilers without realizing it. I would hate that if I hadn't read all the books and was expecting no book talk.

endre

That was seriously the best hour of television I've ever seen. I hope they have one or two episodes per season with a huge battle after this one. Just riveting stuff.

btw - way too many people who have read the books posting in that no spoiler thread. A lot of them are posting spoilers without realizing it. I would hate that if I hadn't read all the books and was expecting no book talk.

The worst are the pretenders. I asked there, no one seemed to reply. Is it just me or there are at least two pretenders per page there? I might be wrong, some of them just might made a good guess. But I get the feeling I am not wrong.

methodman

Banned
The worst are the pretenders. I asked there, no one seemed to reply. Is it just me or there are at least two pretenders per page there? I might be wrong, some of them just might made a good guess. But I get the feeling I am not wrong.

You're right. There are people that have read all the books, made posts about the books in one of the ASOIAF spoiler threads, and act like they haven't read anything in that No Spoiler thread to troll people. Terrible.

Zeliard

I've brought that up a few times in the past as the biggest danger when it comes to GoT spoilers - people "speculating" when they already know what's going to happen. We're counting on you guys to keep people honest. :p

Speaking of Robb, wasn't Tywin the only thing holding back his advance? So if Tywin went south to King's Landing, shouldn't Robb have a completely clear path down there too?

I don't know that Robb would want to follow Tywin south. He would presumably still have to deal with Gregor and whatever Lannister forces were left over at Harrenhal and after Blackwater, he'd be running into not only Tywin's forces but the newly allied Tyrells, who have a sizeable military force to contend with.

frequency

I've thought about switching to the other thread a lot. But even though I forgot most of the stuff from the books, I feel like I should stay out of there just in case. One slip could really ruin someone's day. So I post in this thread where people talk about stuff I mostly can't remember happening at all. But that's still a better alternative than faking it in the other thread and risking a mistake with every post. I have no right to risk others' enjoyment like that.

I don't remember Stannis being this awesome in the book? I think I need to read every chapter with him in it over again.

I think he's way better in the show. I don't think I liked him at all from the books, but I really like him here.

I don't know that Robb would want to follow Tywin south. He would presumably still have to deal with Gregor and whatever Lannister forces were left over at Harrenhal and after Blackwater, he'd be running into not only Tywin's forces but the newly allied Tyrells, who have a sizeable military force to contend with.

Oh right... And all the forces who are already at King's Landing. Yeah, I'm dumb.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It would be good if readers kept out of that thread. Sometimes (I've done this before with other adaptations) people will imply something, due to their existing knowledge, without realising it. That thread is really meant for people who have a clean slate with the series.

With that in mind, if people notice anything unusual or people making a mess of it, please PM me so I can sort it out.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
It's not his, that picture has been around since at least "Baelor" from last year.

I made it while waiting for ADWD... so it's been awhile.

The song at the end of the latest episode was awesome. Backstory?

The song's lyrics? It's about a house that rebelled against the Lannisters, the Reynes of Castamere. The Lannisters basically wiped them off the face of the map.

endre

It would be good if readers kept out of that thread. Sometimes (I've done this before with other adaptations) people will imply something, due to their existing knowledge, without realising it. That thread is really meant for people who have a clean slate with the series.

With that in mind, if people notice anything unusual or people making a mess of it, please PM me so I can sort it out.

I don't go to often in there. Generally after show airings to read the reactions. Next time I see something I will post it here for review.

methodman

Banned
I don't thing book readers should even post in that thread at all.

I think that should be the new rule. If you've read the books, you can't post in that thread at all, even if someone in their asks a question about a clarification. When people in the thread are saying things like this, you know it's a problem.

It seems like book readers are staying in here anyway. Which sort of sucks. For every one book reader being awesome about what's happened in the show so far, there's one posting stuff that hasn't been revealed yet. And even under spoiler tags that's not supposed to happen in this thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38285772&postcount=3806

Yeah, I'm going to avoid this thread from now on. Shame, I thought it would be safe enough.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38285909&postcount=3808

Ducarmel

I think he's way better in the show. I don't think I liked him at all from the books, but I really like him here.

Much of it either implied or fits with his character. They nailed Stannis this season, when they allowed him to speak on screen for more than 30 seconds.

I guess it does fit him as stubborn fearless fighter he was a possessed war machine out there. Kind of ironic he fights a fair fight and lose, after using magic to kill his little bro and taking his army.

apana

We're grateful to have good strong mods like you to protect us.

Jaime quote from season 1, lol.
Seriously though I am glad you posted this, hopefully people will think twice now.

Amir0x

Banned
The song at the end of the latest episode was awesome. Backstory?

Basically it goes as follows, House Reyne and the Tarbecks rebelled against Tytos, Tywin's father. Tytos was pretty much considered weak lord and easily bested on the field of battle, and so House Reyne - being quite strong - thought to take advantage of the situation by rebelling. Tywin thought to bring honor back to his house by proving that the Lannister name was something to be feared. In doing so, he destroyed the Castles of Castamere.. leaving them smoldering ruins, and the Houses Tarbeck and Reyne completely wiped off the face of the Earth. i'm talking virtually no remnants of the families now remain.

Thus, the rains wept over the ruined halls of Castamere, and e'er after people knew the Lannisters were to be feared.

And who are you, the proud lord said,
that I must bow so low?
Only a cat of a different coat,
that's all the truth I know.
In a coat of gold or a coat of red,
a lion still has claws,
And mine are long and sharp, my lord,
as long and sharp as yours.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke,
that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall,
with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

frequency

I guess it does fit him as stubborn fearless fighter he was a possessed war machine out there. Kind of ironic he fights a fair fight and lose, after using magic to kill his little bro and taking his army.

Maybe this loss will push him further into the black magics.
Him being honorable and fair his whole life has given him nothing. At the end when his men were dragging him away, he seemed to have really lost it. Him screaming like that isn't what I picture as Stannis. So this is the thing that pushes him over the edge. He would be thinking about how he would have won if he had the fire priestess lady with him.

(acok/asos)
There was a lot of talk about Ser Barristan the past few episodes, I wouldn't count out Strong Belwas or at the very least "Mr Whitebeard" making an appearance in the finale. Obviously they want to keep the character in the minds of the watchers.

Yeah I think (series)
Obviously Whitebeard is very important, but I kind of think it will be without Belwas. There are a lot of characters in Dany's arc over the course of the series, and Belwas doesn't actually do that much.

F1WfY.gif

Is it Sunday yet?

Awesome lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom