• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

gamesindustry: Critics agree that Sony's PS5 transcends on-paper comparisons to Xbox

PhaseJump

Banned
Sony and Microsoft right now.
Hogan+Warrior+4.gif

iHaunter

The thing is XSX has literally nothing UNIQUE about it. It's all kinda generic. It's a PC and the same old Xbox controller that hasn't had innovation in 15 years. Nothing wrong with it, just kinda bland. Doesn't help there aren't any launch titles either now that Medium got delayed.

Last edited:

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
It's actually gamesindustrybiz that's saying it. Shu is just retweeting it.

This is similar to when Dealer says something and Greenberg retweets it.
There is still a bit of a difference between a youtube fanboy and gamesindustry.biz saying something.

Digital Foundry provides the conduit and specifically funnels these people in, it's what they do.

Go look at VG Tech, no one even knows who he is because he keeps it solely about the data. No self interests, no points of view, no personal attachments or biased viewpoints. Just the data.

At this point he's the only objective analysis channel on the Internet. These guys have gotten too self involved and the quality of what they do has tanked.

I can agree that, whether they actively mean to or not, DF does play a part in this; I still think it's up to the individual to understand if/when they are being misled and take the time to check other sources. I also can't recall when DF have been found to have made major errors with their reporting/articles, I'm sure they've made small mistakes over the years but mistakes can happen in any field.

And thank you for flagging VG Tech, I actually wasn't aware of them and will subscribe.

Then its most likely a paid article. Not really anything new.

It's something cult members really needed to hear after all the crow they've been served.

It's just Matthews opinion after reading a dozen reviews of the PS5. He's basically just stating the common things that they said. Like the reviews mentioning the Consoles size or the innovative controller.

I don't know if Sony paid for this one and the other dozen plus reviews.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
People can always be wrong and there's a massive power difference between the two. We just have to wait and see if it happens.

The power difference isn't going to matter. The higher the floor the less important it is that someone has a slightly higher ceiling.

If you think what the PS5 has to offer is underpowered, and therefore unfit for purpose you're just being ridiculous. Look at the Switch, you simply don't need massive amounts of grunt to make games critics and fans alike adore.

The fundamental error is thinking that bragging rights mean a damn thing when everyone is happy with what they have.

On Demand

Banned
The power difference isn't going to matter. The higher the floor the less important it is that someone has a slightly higher ceiling.

If you think what the PS5 has to offer is underpowered, and therefore unfit for purpose you're just being ridiculous. Look at the Switch, you simply don't need massive amounts of grunt to make games critics and fans alike adore.

The fundamental error is thinking that bragging rights mean a damn thing when everyone is happy with what they have.

Don’t know what massive difference they’re talking about. The power difference is smaller than Pro and 1X.

No vrr, expandable storage, 660gb available storage, no 1440p support, no rdna 3, no 13tf, no zen 3.....

All that fud in the spec thread just came back and bit yall in the ass lol

I mean the list goes on and on. Just enjoy your console and stop crying every chance you get.

Well the 5TF claim failed and the console suffering from extreme overheating issues as well. Not to mention the games are supposed to be broken on it. And Spiderman according to the blue guy was supposed to have fake RT in it.

I don't know why you can't accept that the console isn't as bad as people like Dealer made it out to be.

It's actually a pretty good system if you give it a chance.

Concern

Well the 5TF claim failed and the console suffering from extreme overheating issues as well. Not to mention the games are supposed to be broken on it. And Spiderman according to the blue guy was supposed to have fake RT in it.

I don't know why you can't accept that the console isn't as bad as people like Dealer made it out to be.

It's actually a pretty good system if you give it a chance.

I haven't bashed the console. But listing all the bullshit you guys spread on the spec thread that failed you.

I'll own one next year when there's some more games. I can play mm or horizon on my ps4. Not paying $500 just for Demon Souls.

Both consoles have their strengths.

PS5 has an incredible controller, a faster (when optimised for it) SSD, a digital edition which doesn't compromise on specs and a pretty great game bundled to showcase the upgrade in Astro's Playroom.

Xbox Series X has Game Pass, supports a wider BC library and offers multiple improvements to older titles like auto-HDR, 16x AF and framerate doubling alongside being a more powerful machine.

That GI decided to wax lyrical about one list of benefits and not mention the other at all is disappointing.
Unlike with PS4/Xbox One or PS3/Xbox 360 launches, reviews have been positive for both consoles and it's looking like a strong generation for everyone. That should be celebrated.

The way I see it..... first round knockout with a potential new title shot for the loser in 2023. Till then the champ is still undefeated.

Judges and referee's have called a fair fight.

-Arcadia-

Banned
"Sony's new box is no looker," Silver said. "In fact, some will consider it positively ugly: a bulky black brick wrapped in an unappealingly asymmetrical white metal folder. It's an obvious attempt at instant iconicism which falls so far short it would be laughable were the thing not so enormous that it dominates any domestic setting in which it weighs anchor. The PS5's size is both the elephant in the room and an elephant in the room."

One of the funniest things I’ve read from a critic in a long time. You think the disses have stopped, but they just keep on going. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I’m okay with the look, vertical. I might even be partial to it.

I haven't bashed the console. But listing all the bullshit you guys spread on the spec thread that failed you.

I'll own one next year when there's some more games. I can play mm or horizon on my ps4. Not paying $500 just for Demon Souls.

Actually the FUD only made the PS5 appear when more impressive once it was proven to be false. I'd say it failed the people that were spreading it like that Blue Guy for example. For example just a few short weeks ago the PS5 was rumored to be noisy. Until Digital Foundry tested the acoustics.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

The actual FUD just turned in more marking for PS5 when it was confirmed to be just well FUD.

The amount of false info and issues that not turned out being true for PS5 was a record in any console launch... some really put a lot of effort to make it fail.

But the exceptional result ended making some guys going crazy.

Last edited:

Concern

Actually the FUD only made the PS5 appear when more impressive once it was proven to be false. I'd say it failed the people that were spreading it like that Blue Guy for example. For example just a few short weeks ago the PS5 was rumored to be noisy. Until Digital Foundry tested the acoustics.

I have no idea what "blue guy" you're referring to.

Only a moron would expect it to be noisy considering how much they said they designed the console with the noise and heat in mind.

"We believe in generations" was another awesome one that fell flat on its face. All of a sudden supporting the old console became ok lol.

You guys are just consistently inconsistent.

Tschumi

I think this news has been coming - expected, by me - ever since the Deep Dive video from the first part of the year. Cerny and co had a clear vision, they had a solution that ignored traditional power, focused of lightening speed and peak efficiency. Their first party studios clearly knew what they would be working with for whole years before now, and we're seeing the results. Good day for efficiency over brute force.

Some of the comments here about Linneman from DF show how out of touch some of you guys are on this forum. The guy is allowed to be human. He's doing his job, making great videos, even before PS5 reviews were allowed he was hardly gushing in praise for XSX.

This is that i mean when i say you're out of touch: you're just dead certain that he's been dishonest, that he had ulterior motives, that's he's some kind of media robot. That's not valid.

Look, he's a geek who loves computer games as much as any of us, who got the dream job recording for DF, he's trying to make compelling content, week after week. You don't like what he has to say? Tell yourself not to follow his advice. Don't wage war against him.

It's not his fault that his videos, and those of his colleagues, are used as artillery in console wars.

Just shut up and have opinions about the games, not about him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea what "blue guy" you're referring to.

Only a moron would expect it to be noisy considering how much they said they designed the console with the noise and heat in mind.

"We believe in generations" was another awesome one that fell flat on its face. All of a sudden supporting the old console became ok lol.

You guys are just consistently inconsistent.

I mean Miles Morales looks pretty awesome with the PS5 upgrades especially with the ray tracing. But I agree that the sooner we cut off last gen the better.

Actually when the Russian leak happened and people saw the fan they said it was small and it would make a ton of noise. So there's that.

Pretty cool how all the FUD is getting destroyed.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned

PS5 has an incredible controller, a faster (when optimised for it) SSD, a digital edition which doesn't compromise on specs and a pretty great game bundled to showcase the upgrade in Astro's Playroom.

Xbox Series X has Game Pass, supports a wider BC library and offers multiple improvements to older titles like auto-HDR, 16x AF and framerate doubling alongside being a more powerful machine.

That GI decided to wax lyrical about one list of benefits and not mention the other at all is disappointing.
Unlike with PS4/Xbox One or PS3/Xbox 360 launches, reviews have been positive for both consoles and it's looking like a strong generation for everyone. That should be celebrated.

Auto HDR is a fantastic feature, but watching quick resume and watching how fast new titles load on PS5 is night and day. And honestly with the card system, I think being able to hit a mission card from the main OS screen and have it load in 4 seconds is way more impressive.

On top of actually having games that show off all the features even if some of them might be on PS4.
In terms of showing you a next gen console and what your buying for $500 I think Sony has done a better job.

Microsoft has done a better job in showing you legacy, and services that are worth your money and time.
The reason there seems to be more glowing reviews or opinions on the PS5 is not because it's the fastest, or most powerful. But that it gets it's message across of how they want you to experience and approach next gen. The UI was designed to show that it value's the players time. Being able to launch a 5v5 match in TDM or duo's in warzone from the card system in main menu of the OS is forward thinking. With the ssd your in a match close to instantly.

You now have tips in the forms of either official tips from developers or from content creators.
You can load a mission directly from the UI in the main menu saving you time. Everything about this console barring how it looks(my opinion) was thought out, and definitive to what Sony and developers think gamers want.
And it looks like they were right.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
In his review, GameSpot's Mat Paget revealed that he completed all of stealth challenges in Insomniac's Spider-Man: Miles Morales through Activities cards in the PS5 Control Center -- no need to navigate through the game's menus or even traverse its open world to the mission marker. This is made possible, he said, by the PS5's consistently fast load times for all games.

Apologies for constant snippets. I’m still reading, and all of this packed into a single post would be a chore to view.

I wasn’t aware the feature was quite this cool. That is absolutely awesome. You get the choice whether you want to jump straight to the fun (or for some of us, the completionism), or just launch the game proper, and soak the whole, immersive Spider-Man experience in.

Rolla

Banned
How many people on core gaming forums such as gaf realize that Digital Foundry's analysis doesn't go beyond the boarders of our conversation?

How many games were superior on the 1X but then went on to break records on the PS4. I remember Rockstar touting how many PS records they broke with Playstation while the 1X version of RDR2 was clearly superior.

But UK sales for RDR2 were majority PS. European sales and US sales followed the exact same trajectory. In short, anyone thinking DF's vids have some type of sway are not seeing the much bigger picture.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned

Amazing that you left out next gen games. I wonder why...

Last edited:

onQ123

Actually it's not that PS5 is performing better than the specs show it's the fact that people don't understand the specs that they have been shown & just say 12> 10

I been telling people since we got the specs that PS5 has the better rendering specs , Xbox Series X has a compute advantage it's possible to get better looking games on either console but straight forward development will most likely come out better on PS5 & Xbox making games that run across multiple devices isn't helping.

Dargor

Am I wrong in thinking that this is the first time Sony has even talked about MS in this road to new gen?

sublimit

Banned
It's going to be transcending the back end of FPS and resolution comparisons as well in just a few short days, and then for an indefinite amount of years.

4PLJ29k.png
Sony are getting more clever with their ads.

They aren't even trying to explain why, and I'm not click on Clickbait.
I too can pat myself on the back.

giphy.gif
"Paid critics"
Holy shit, this is ridiculous!. "Despite the evidence, PS5 really is better".
in 2013, journalists said that ps4 was better because:

--- 1080p 1080p 1080p
--- teraflop teraflop teraflop
---- RAM RAM RAM
--- ps plus ps plus

in 2014, journalist said:

--- 1080p 1080p 1080p
---- teraflop teraflop

2016 (Xbox One X launch)

--- Exclusives exclusives exclusives

In 2020

--- Exclusives
--- "feelings"

In 2022

--- "feelings"
This thread is really delivering lmao.

Did anyone expect different from Shu? Ps5 could be 2tf and he'll still say the same lol. Its called marketing.
Then its most likely a paid article. Not really anything new.

It's something cult members really needed to hear after all the crow they've been served.
tenor.gif

-Arcadia-

Banned
How many people on core gaming forums such as gaf realize that Digital Foundry's analysis doesn't go beyond the boarders of our conversation?

How many games were superior on the 1X but then went on to break records on the PS4. I remember Rockstar touting how many PS records they broke with Playstation while the 1X version of RDR2 was clearly superior on the 1X.

But UK sales were majority PS. European sales and US sales followed the exact same trajectory. In short, anyone thinking DF's vids have some type of sway are not seeing the much bigger picture.

Difficult to say. In the case of the base PS4 and Xbox One, I’d argue that DF coverage set an expectation firmly in the mainstream’s mind, whether it had to filter through hardcore gamers first or not. ‘This is weaker’ ‘You’re not getting as much for your money’

Later on, I think buying habits were much more solidified, and that the upgrade systems were more of a enthusiast thing on top of that. The people who did upgrade, likely didn’t want to throw out a half-gen of their library, and the place they were comfortable.

As it relates to PS5 and Series X, I imagine technical differences won’t matter. They’re both truly impressive. The one bugbear is that Microsoft needs more content to show it (the recent Watch Dogs reveal is a major step in the right direction).

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

bane_let_the_games_begin_by_dethoveye96-d5l17ft.gif

Gamesindustry's articles are always funny, in a pathetic sort of way.

"Hey, I'll cherry-pick a few quotes from journalists that fit the narrative I want, and then I'll allege that "critics agree."

Like those few people quoted here are representative of anyone but themselves. 😂

Sorry Mr. Clickbaiter whateveryournameis, but you'll need more than 6 people to establish that "critics agree" on anything.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
If we are Phil, this early verdict is tough, justified but an expected one. Xbox is behind in maturity of devkits and 343i messing up didnt help.

The Dualsense also got more recognition than i expected, i guess people loves quirky new experiences.

Congrats to Sony for their shock and awe model. Here is what Cerny said at Road to PS5, supercharging development times is their target. :messenger_bicep:

itsnotme

Nobody considers the Xbox one X to be a generation above the One even though it had a better GPU, CPU, faster storage. The same thing is happening with the XSX with the same upgrades. You're gaining nothing except for better performance, this can be seen as a generation leap (to which I agree with) however
PS5 on the other hand you get the same upgrades I listed above (compared to the pro) aswell as a better more feature packed controller which as we can see is getting nothing but positive reviews and a new UI. I think we can see using this that the PS5 is a bigger generational leap compared to the XSX as the new iteration has more to offer compared to its predecessor.

Top Bottom