• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot lay-offs 2014

neoemonk

I encountered this at work when we acquired a US company and gutted it. I asked one of the bankers they brought in how much our exposure to redundancy payments would be and he looked at me like I was talking a foreign language (in a way I guess I was). Over here, I imagine two 15+ year vets would have been in line for a nice payout of about $13k. Hopefully CBS is decent with severance.

Businesses make the laws here my friend.

I'm not at all inherently against the idea of lowering a game's overall score because you viewed it as sexist, racist, transphobic or anything of the sort. I think subjectivity will always play a role in video game reviews, and no, game reviews should definitely not be the same as reviewing a kitchen appliance. I think that as long as a game wants to be taken seriously as making a real statement about the human condition (and games like GTAV and TLOU are definitely doing that), it should be reviewed as such. Basically, "get your politics out of my video games!" is a silly thing to say if you're talking about a game that's blatantly trying to be political.

And yet, the type of person who views Anita Sarkeesian as an overall-good media critic and sees no glaring flaws with her methods is not really the kind of person who I personally think is truly fit to make such commentary. That doesn't mean there's never any amount of truth behind the statements of someone like that (I don't think GTAIV constitutes poignant social satire), but that kind of commentary is very new to video games and should be done in a more effective manner in order to truly stick with the gaming public at large. The current method of sociopolitical commentary applied to games is hardly winning over most people who weren't already invested in that sort of thing, and I think there are better ways of doing it.

I don't think you can assume that. There may have been pay adjustments based on cost of living, but working from home in the tech industry is not an unusual practice.

Yeah, I could obviously be wrong it's my complete random guess. I suppose Vinny is starting up the second office kind of and Patrick certainly still puts out a good amount of content. I have to imagine his solo quick looks don't bring in nearly the numbers the main crews do and they have all made plenty of comments about how nobody reads shit, which sucks for the one of them that actually writes.

Either way, at least the main office has been understaffed having lost them. And even including them that still leaves Ryan and at least the one behind the scenes guy I can think of that they've lost over the last year (can't remember his name, dude with beard and glasses).

Times I heard about Gamespot in the last 2 years.

Danny making appearances on GiantBomb
Whenever Carolyn says something "controversial" about whatever the current AAA hotness is.

And thats it.

The site has been in need of a drastic shift for years.

There E3 coverage was the industry leader in the mid 2000's but everyone has caught up.
The big, 20+ person site of writers, video editors and presenters is a dying model

Still... some of those 15 year vets of the site losing jobs is a real kicker.

NickFire

I'm not at all inherently against the idea of lowering a game's overall score because you viewed it as sexist, racist, transphobic or anything of the sort. I think subjectivity will always play a role in video game reviews, and no, game reviews should definitely not be the same as reviewing a kitchen appliance. I think that as long as a game wants to be taken seriously as making a real statement about the human condition (and games like GTAV and TLOU are definitely doing that), it should be reviewed as such. Basically, "get your politics out of my video games!" is a silly thing to say if you're talking about a game that's blatantly trying to be political.

And yet, the type of person who views Anita Sarkeesian as an overall-good media critic and sees no glaring flaws with her methods is not really the kind of person who I personally think is truly fit to make such commentary. That doesn't mean there's never any amount of truth behind the statements of someone like that (I don't think GTAIV constitutes poignant social satire), but that kind of commentary is very new to video games and should be done in a more effective manner in order to truly stick with the gaming public at large. The current method of sociopolitical commentary applied to games is hardly winning over most people who weren't already invested in that sort of thing, and I think there are better ways of doing it.

I am all for more games that cater to a broader audience, but I am dead against the PC crowd scoring games based on their politics.

NickFire

For clarification: So stories in story-based games shouldn't be analyzed?

They certainly should be if the game takes it's story seriously IMO. But if someone is going to reduce (or raise) a review score because of a social justice issue, then I won't be bothering to finish reading their review or taking any further review seriously. Everyone has the right to express their opinion, and my opinion is simply that I don't want to listen to the PC police when deciding if a game is fun for me.

For clarification: So stories in story-based games shouldn't be analyzed?

Not against whatever fad is running around in "game journalism" circles at the moment.

If you go watch The Expendables or some other summer action braindead flick, you don't take off points if the guys don't read enough poetry during the movie. Likewise, if the game is about shooting aliens in the face to save earth, you don't take points off for there not being enough female/crossgender aliens in the game. I think that's his/her point here.

If a game's story tackles with certain issues, sure, judge them on that. But game scores should represent the enjoyment you get out of a game (they really shouldn't even exist though) not whatever agenda the writer is trying to push, regardless of how worthy a cause it may be.

Not every game is supposed to be a social statement. Some games are just about... you know, fun.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I won't comment on McShae, because I did already on numerous occassions, but Petit I actually remembered for her Luigi's Mansion 2 review, which burned into my memory strongly associated with the thought "and this is what is wrong with so many games articles", because it read like she couldn't stomach a fair defeat in a game and was clamoring for constant checkpoints, which, from my perspective, is, what is killing all challenge in games recently. That being said - I on numerous occassions thought that reviews like hers or McShae's are potentially harmful, if taken into consideration by developers - I wish all affected writers the best for the future and that they'll find a good new job, soon. On a more egoistic note, I hope that when they do, they don't as reviewers whose reviews could potentially play a role in deciding what to change in potential sequels.

I very much agree with this. Both that Luigis Mansion 2 review, and McShaes Skyward Sword review stand among the worst reviews I have ever seen, and I would HATE Nintendo to listen to their complaints.

I am also in the camp that feel that Gamespot has been in decline for 15 years. It used to be my go to gaming site in the early 00s, but the site just got more and more convoluted to navigate, their editorial less and less interesting, and reviews like the mentioned made them loose credibility as well.

Anyways, while I did not care for the reviews of those two writers, I DO care for their well-being as humans, and it sucks to see them and others loose their job. Really hope they and the others will be able to get work as soon as possible!

All gaming press are in danger of becoming irrelevant thanks to twitch, YouTube, and dota and mobile games.

Gamespot uses Twitch & Youtube. If anything they add viewers to Gamespot.

Dota & mobile are fads that will be gone in two or so years.
There was that F2P farm sim or something awhile ago, was worth a billion at one time & then just became worthless & never recovered.

WillyFive

I don't see why dota or mobile would have anything to do with gaming press dying. Its like saying airports are dying because people like airplanes.

Man this is getting ridiculous now. Reminds me of when I hit up CVG and was shocked to learn the entire site is now predominantly run by three people. Seriously, three. Three people running the current incarnation of the world's longest running and first ever games magazine. I was saddened to say the least particularly with the rumors that CVG might be closing soon.

GameSpot hasn't been the same since the Jeff Gerstmann incident IMO. The site seemed to fade quite rapidly after that.

NickFire

Man this is getting ridiculous now. Reminds me of when I hit up CVG and was shocked to learn the entire site is now predominantly run by three people. Seriously, three. Three people running the current incarnation of the world's longest running and first ever games magazine. I was saddened to say the least particularly with the rumors that CVG might be closing soon.

GameSpot hasn't been the same since the Jeff Gerstmann incident IMO. The site seemed to fade quite rapidly after that.

I'd say game journalism as a whole died a bit that day. Maybe not in revenue, but certainly in respect for the profession.

They certainly should be if the game takes it's story seriously IMO. But if someone is going to reduce (or raise) a review score because of a social justice issue, then I won't be bothering to finish reading their review or taking any further review seriously. Everyone has the right to express their opinion, and my opinion is simply that I don't want to listen to the PC police when deciding if a game is fun for me.

The thing is that some people WILL care about that. Say if a game contains content that is genuinely racist towards black people, a black person would take it more personally than you would. You won't agree with every review and I don't think you're meant to.

I just think that most game journalists who tackle these things have a really strange idea of what is offensive or worth going on a social justice rant about; see the "Mario Kart doesn't have enough racial diversity" thing and other stuff like that.

Squire

Banned
It's crazy that their EIC and head of production are gone, definitely implies some major changes are coming for the site's direction.

Everything seems to be moving toward video, which is a shame. I'm worried how long Polygon---a site with virtually no video presence and a giant team of writers---has for this world.

Oh please, you don't even read Polygon, clearly.

LOL no,... I'm 33 I've been gaming since 1990, It used to be like that... nowadays its all about youtubers and social media.

2 main things usually drive game sales:

1. Pre-release hype (E3, social media, commercials/marketing, people being fans of previous games in the series or by the same devs etc.)

2. Critic reviews (essentially post-release hype)

Note: Sometimes word of mouth/playing at a friends place etc. will also drive huge game sales, but its rare phenomenon (ie: Wii, Guitar Hero etc.)

As for #2, sites like GameSpot and IGN are huge influences on game sales. As is Metacritic scores of course, but GameSpot and IGN are clearly the biggest gaming review sites. If GameSpot and IGN each give Destiny a 5/10 a few days before release (and everyone else gives it 8's and 9's) you don't think that would cost Bungie a few hundred thousand in sales? I'll bet a review from GameSpot determines at least 5% of total sales for most console games.

Any news of some of them getting new jobs?
Particularly Ryan MacDonald?

I bet they fired him just because of his tenure.
He was probably making more money from that & they didn't like that.

Zaph

Dude it hasn't even been a week. I highly doubt any plans those affected may or may not have will be public for a little while.

mollipen

I am all for more games that cater to a broader audience, but I am dead against the PC crowd scoring games based on their politics.

Does "PC crowd scoring games based on their politics" mean that reviewers aren't allowed to call out games that directly insult them as human beings?

GECK

Haven't been to Gamespot in like a decade and had no idea who Carolyn even is. Why do so many people dislike her?

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
2 main things usually drive game sales:

1. Pre-release hype (E3, social media, commercials/marketing, people being fans of previous games in the series or by the same devs etc.)

2. Critic reviews (essentially post-release hype)

Note: Sometimes word of mouth/playing at a friends place etc. will also drive huge game sales, but its rare phenomenon (ie: Wii, Guitar Hero etc.)

As for #2, sites like GameSpot and IGN are huge influences on game sales. As is Metacritic scores of course, but GameSpot and IGN are clearly the biggest gaming review sites. If GameSpot and IGN each give Destiny a 5/10 a few days before release (and everyone else gives it 8's and 9's) you don't think that would cost Bungie a few hundred thousand in sales? I'll bet a review from GameSpot determines at least 5% of total sales for most console games.

who cares you dumb weirdo

No, reviews are based on opinion, yes, but the reviewer should still have some level of objectivity. Her pushing her agenda in her reviews is something that shouldn't be done, and it's the reason many people dislike her. Not because her opinion is different, but because she used reviews as a vehicle to press her issues (I don't know if she did it for the clicks, but it's still bad). I don't think there's anything wrong with disliking that. Not to mention, she's one of those reviewers who has issues with higher difficulty levels and, iirc, she complained about exactly that in her Luigi review (which isn't even hard). Stuff like that is one of the reasons there's so much hand holding.

With that said, while annoying, it didn't affect me personally, I just avoided Gamespot (I'd check it out now but apparently it's still all around bad). Hopefully she lands on her feet, as I wish her no ill will.

zhorkat

No, reviews are based on opinion, yes, but the reviewer should still have some level of objectivity. Her pushing her agenda in her reviews is something that shouldn't be done, and it's the reason many people dislike her. Not because her opinion is different, but because she used reviews as a vehicle to press her issues (I don't know if she did it for the clicks, but it's still bad). I don't think there's anything wrong with disliking that. Not to mention, she's one of those reviewers who has issues with higher difficulty levels and, iirc, she complained about exactly that in her Luigi review (which isn't even hard). Stuff like that is one of the reasons there's so much hand holding.

What agenda was she pushing, how did that affect the objectivity of her reviews, and what kind of objectivity would her reviews have if she wasn't pushing that agenda?

CGwizz

tom and petit made some shit reviews and i never agreed with a score these 2 had, some tom articles where terrible and he always seemed a guy that hates everything, i remember some things he said in a video about tlou that made me facepalm.

but its always sad when people loses a job they like to do.

JLeack

Banned

With that said, while annoying, it didn't affect me personally, I just avoided Gamespot (I'd check it out now but apparently it's still all around bad). Hopefully she lands on her feet, as I wish her no ill will.

That is still an opinion. She had no agenda, just a different viewpoint. I think its fun and insightful to read reviews and features that stray from the pack. There are enough sites that repeat the same old crap.

Top Bottom