• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Best of 2014 Awards

Jobbs

Banned
It's a fairly broad category for sure. Kyle even made light of it in the script. The full list of Action / Adventure nominees are -

Bayonetta 2*
The Evil Within
inFamous: Second Son
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Watch Dogs

Wait --- So Alien Isolation wasn't even nominated for anything?

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but it's possibly the most immersive game ever made, and completely novel as an AAA game, and it's not even nominated? And Watch Dogs is? *rubs eyes*

Wait --- So Alien Isolation wasn't even nominated for anything?

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but it's possibly the most immersive game ever made, and completely novel as an AAA game, and it's not even nominated? And Watch Dogs is? *rubs eyes*

Our awards are only about half-done, but Alien Isolation has been a really polarizing game. If you've followed our staff's reactions at all, I don't think you'd be surprised that it hasn't shown up yet.

Jobbs

Banned
Our awards are only about half-done, but Alien Isolation has been a really polarizing game. If you've followed our staff's reactions at all, I don't think you'd be surprised that it hasn't shown up yet.

Watch Dogs is essentially a troph full of meaningless cardboard to chew through like some mindless cow. It's one of the most uninspiring experiences I've ever had in my life. I actually hate it. Not because it offends me, but because it is so nothing. There is absolutely no meaningful player engagement in it.

Even if Alien Isolation is polarizing, there's a crackle to it. There's a strong reaction. It's an intense experience, and it's new. I don't understand how that doesn't earn it a spot on the list instead of Watch Derps.

Who played Watch Dogs and loved it? Was there a single person on earth? At best you "yeah, okay" it. How is that top 5 material?

Gold_Loot

Watch Dogs is essentially a troph full of meaningless cardboard to chew through like some mindless cow. It's one of the most uninspiring experiences I've ever had in my life. I actually hate it. Not because it offends me, but because it is so nothing. There is absolutely no meaningful player engagement in it.

Who played Watch Dogs and loved it? Was there a single person on earth? At best you "yeah, okay" it. How is that top 5 material?

Me.

... Problem?

Even if Alien Isolation is polarizing, there's a crackle to it. There's a strong reaction. It's an intense experience, and it's new. I don't understand how that doesn't earn it a spot on the list instead of Watch Derps.

You've basically assumed what the staff feels about watch dogs without hearing their impressions, and basing it off your own, and probably neogaf's as well.

Jobbs

Banned
You've basically assumed what the staff feels about watch dogs without hearing their impressions, and basing it off your own, and probably neogaf's as well.

no, I played watch dogs and base my impressions only on playing it.

+
really nice explosions (not joking -- cars blowing up has never been better)

-
no meaningful progression
no challenge
bad story
bad characters
currency not meaningful
hacking not meaningful

it's a bad GTA, basically, and I understand some people may enjoy it -- But I just have trouble comprehending how anyone could be excited about it. Making top 5 of the year should mean the game has some kind of spark to it.

sora87

GT is the last site I really visit these days and the only group of personalities I respect the opinion of, so even if I don't agree with all the nominations I can see why they were chosen and respect the winner in the end. I do feel obviously these were pretty rushed with everything that happened at GT this year, having such a small team and everyone being burnt out from the review crunch season. The personal pick videos are a very welcome touch though. I would have liked a video or even a twitch stream showing everyone go into detail and state their arguments for things however, would have been fun to watch.. :D

Sami+

Damiani's is coming up tomorrow. It's pretty freaking good.

Awesome! Also sorry I didn't have a guess for yours hahaha, the only games I know you played off the top of my head are Forza, DC, and AC Rogue. Wasn't sure what to choose out of those lol.

sn00zer

DistinctLightheartedDwarfmongoose.gif

SeanTSC

My comments over on GT:

Best RPG: Dragon Age: Inquisition is tops for me. I loved all the RPGs this year, but DAI was easily the best imo. Bioware finally took everything good from their past efforts and made it into their best game yet. Dark Souls 2 on the other hand, while really fun, really did feel like a B Team effort from From and not having Miyazaki helming it was really telling of the overall experience.

Additional note: I have not played the DS2 expansion yet, which is supposedly amazing, because I had an inkling there would be an HD Remaster coming and low and behold there is. The expansion could very well have changed my opinion on it, but it's definitely no contest base game vs base game for me. I am eagerly awaiting the PS4 version and going through the whole game with it all being retuned and new mob placement + finally playing the expansion material. That will assuredly be a treat.

Most Disappointing: LoS2 is definitely mine. I had high hopes for Lords of Shadow 2 after the amazing first game. It's one of the few things that I legitimately didn't kinda see coming.

Destiny's Alpha was pretty telling of what the overall experience was going to be. Assassin's Creed Unity raised massive red flags the second that Ubisoft decided to spout out that atrociously bullshit "we're doing parity to avoid debates and stuff" line. I never bought into the Watch_Dogs hype, etc. Alien Isolation: As soon as I heard the shit about the Androids I was like "Nope nope NOPE!" and stopped caring. It's hard to be disappointed by something that you don't have high expectations for and I never had huge hopes for most of this list, but I certainly did for Lords of Shadow 2 and they let me down pretty hard, even if it's still a "decent" and enjoyable game.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Far Cry winning over Wolfenstein is alright. I've only started FC4 but it seems to be just as superb as FC3 was. Wolfenstein on the other hand strikes me as slightly overrated here on GAF. I didn't find the story as compelling as some people apparently do and even if it scores hugely with me as a German for all the authentic German stuff they've put in the game the technical execution left something to be desired, and that's a flaw in this genre.

I would agree that it's a bit overrated here, I just found it to be so bland most of the time. Everything was solid but I can't think of a single thing the game did that was in any way special. I think it's 79 metacritic is just about right. I played it right after WatchDogs and thought they were equally bland. Oddly enough I think it might be the only new shooter I played this year aside from Destiny.

Alien isolation should be one of the two games in contention for game of the year on any list.

Omitting it makes me question your judgement massively.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Even if you consider it to be a great game, as far as multiplayer goes, it has exactly two modes:
1v1 constructed and 1v1 draft
. That's it. BEST multiplayer should have a diverse range of multiplayer options like... well... literally any other game on this list would have been a better choice.

The amount of modes really has nothing to do with it.

Rran

I really don't understand how Smash 3DS is a runner for "Most Disappointing Game" when it's possibly one of the best 3DS games o_O

NuttSack

I really don't understand how Smash 3DS is a runner for "Most Disappointing Game" when it's possibly one of the best 3DS games o_O
From the Mandatory Update Nights latest video, Ben said that Damiani and Bosman are to blame for that.

Eidan

Not surprising when you watch the Just Played where Bosman and Damiani really weren't that hot for it.

sn00zer

I need to get a WiiU I think. Too bad there is nothing in the future for it Im excited for....Im tepid about Zelda. That backlog though

meanspartan

BUT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN BAYONETTA 2 AND YOU KNOW IT.

Maybe. But I don't have a Wii U, and neither do most other people. I will get one once it drops below $200 and pick up Bayo 2 then. As much as I love Nintendo games, I could only afford one console this past year and there are too many multiplats I didn't wanna miss, and my 3ds scratches that Nintendo "itch" enough for now.

Maybe if Nintendo didn't scare away most third party developers and been at least close to the XB1 and Ps4 in specs, the Wii U woulda sold more and Bayo 2 would have had more steam. As much as we like to think merit alone should determine GOTY, I think the larger outlets at least wanna give it to the best game that lots of people actually played.

meanspartan

Ya, it plays about as well as I could have ever honestly hoped a Smash on handheld could play. I don't say that as a backhanded compliment, I realize it may come off that way but it is legitimately fun. Me and my friend who have a 3DS don't own a Wii U but still got out smash fill through playing it with each other on 3ds. It's great fun.

UrbanRats

Ya, it plays about as well as I could have ever honestly hoped a Smash on handheld could play. I don't say that as a backhanded compliment, I realize it may come off that way but it is legitimately fun. Me and my friend who have a 3DS don't own a Wii U but still got out smash fill through playing it with each other on 3ds. It's great fun.

If you watch the latest Mandatory Update (Nights), Ben Moore points out how Smash being disappointing was all Kyle Bosman's and Damiani's doing.

Worse than alright, Alan Wake is straight up boring.

Noaloha

Transistor being listed in the Strategy genre is rather bizarre.

I sort of like it, I think, maybe? I agree it's bizarre but still, I can respect the thinking behind it to a degree, even if I don't actually agree with it (like, at all). Transistor essentially rides a stylishly realised 'real-time with pause' battle system, which I tend to group into the 'tactics' family of RPGs/ActionRPGs/RPGlites. I'm not entirely at odds with blurring tactics games with strategy games, given that many adopt a strategy layer and a tactics layer, and the words themself can be interchanged comfortably in plenty of circumstances. With that said however, the specific distinction there would be the reason I'd personally push Transistor away from a dedicated Strategy category. I don't consider Baldur's Gate a strategy game, genre-belonging -- I find I group its battle system, again, in a tactical grouping moreso than strategical (genrewise). But! I wouldn't bark someone out of the room who argued that position; I'd be more likely to get a couple beers out of the fridge and say "Interesting. Okay, sit." (For what it's worth, Age Of Wonders 3 is the year's best strategy game. :p )

Mononoke

Banned
I love GameTrailers (especially this past year). And I genuinely try not to get too hung up on end of the year lists or awards, because I know they will never 100% satisfy everyone. So I take them for what they are, and just enjoy reading about others opinions.

But damn, that Playstation Exclusive has me baffled. I mean, huh.

Eidan

I love GameTrailers (especially this past year). And I genuinely try not to get too hung up on end of the year lists or awards, because I know they will never 100% satisfy everyone. So I take them for what they are, and just enjoy reading about others opinions.

But damn, that Playstation Exclusive has me baffled. I mean, huh.

They really liked P.T.

Mooreberg

I am having a lot of fun with FC4, but I would have gone with Wolfenstein as well. Nazi Moon Base is the best FPS level since Fort Frolic.

Top Bottom