• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Best of 2014 Awards

Missed this before, but a really decent list IMO.

Hard not to grumble at Bravely Default beating out the likes of Persona Q, Fantasy Life, or even Danganronpa but whatevs.

Lyng

Yeah, it is. Transistor is about as much a Strategy game as Dragon Age: Inquisition is.

Pretty sure Endless Legend is a far, far better candidate for Best Strategy game.

Yup pretty clear the GT staff don't play strategy games

sora87

Calling it now, Hearthstone is their overall GotY. It had to be between Dark Souls 2, Bayonetta 2, Smash Wii U and Hearthstone, and after Jones saying he spent lots of time with the winner, I think that cuts out the other 3.

UrbanRats

Calling it now, Hearthstone is their overall GotY. It had to be between Dark Souls 2, Bayonetta 2, Smash Wii U and Hearthstone, and after Jones saying he spent lots of time with the winner, I think that cuts out the other 3.

Yup.
Didn't play it, so i'm not sure if i'd even like it.

I like their Playstation exclusive pick tho. :p

Fbh

It's kind of sad that, according to GT, the best exclusive game on Ps4 right now is an interactive teaser.

Hopefully 2015 ends up being as good as it is looking for Ps4

Driveclub was robbed.

I'm sure it's a nice driving game.

But a game heavily advertised for its online features that took like 2 months to actually work shouldn't be winning any awards

And for those browsing, here's the full list of nominees that made it to our Game of the Year selection.

Bayonetta 2
Dark Souls II
Divinity: Original Sin
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Hearthstone*
The Talos Principle

And for those browsing, here's the full list of nominees that made it to our Game of the Year selection.

Bayonetta 2
Dark Souls II
Hearthstone*
The Talos Principle

Would've picked Bayonetta 2 but that's a classy list.

Bayonetta 2
Dark Souls II
Hearthstone*
The Talos Principle

Hey blood! Did you guys have to chain down bosman when Donkey Kong didn't win?

Hey blood! Did you guys have to chain down bosman when Donkey Kong didn't win?

No, he remained steadfast in his pick, but I was keeping track of all the "math" to make sure we didn't contradict ourselves. Since DKC had already lost to Bayonetta 2 in the Wii U category, it didn't have a chance to get the win in GOTY.

wmlk

Can't blame people for not voting it, though. I feel like P.T. should have gotten best trailer. It's not a conventional trailer but it's something that can only be done in this medium and it was incredible. You reward that.

SeanTSC

Well, I'm going to finally buy DKC Tropical Freeze enough though I've never been a big DK fan just because of Bosman.

RPGCrazied

Hearthstone I can *kinda* see, but not really. Still a good game though, I'm still scratching my head at PT winning, its a demo, how is that even included?

Don't really understand the Hearthstone pick tbh. So basically GOTY awards went from "best game" to "game that's most like my crack addiction".

2014's been really weird for games.

Elandyll

Banned
Best Playstation Exclusive... P.T. ...
Wow, I'm borderline speechless.

Better than all indies still exclusive to PS4 to this day (including Velocity 2x I believe), and better than

Infamous 2nd Son, First Light, MLB 2014, Driveclub, LBP3, Guilty Gear Xrd...

I mean I know that between the delay on The Order and the problems of Driveclub (Deep Down also missing, as it was kinda expected in 2014, at least in Beta form), it's been a bit slim on the actual exclusives, but ouch.

Wow, I' borderline speechless.

Better than all indies still exclusive to PS4 to this dy (including Velocity 2x I believe), and better than

I mean I know that between the delay on The Order and the problems of Driveclub (Deep Down also missing, as it was kinda expect in 2014, at least in Beta form), it's ben a bit slim on the actual exclusives, but ouch.

A lot of people have taken this as some kind of slight to the lineup, but it's really just a testament to how strongly our staff feels about the game they experienced, and the intensity of the horror it presents.

bathsalts

Happy to see Talos getting a nod in the goty picture. Was afraid the late release would cause everyone to skip over it, absolute class puzzler, love me some Croteam.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Wow, I' borderline speechless.

Better than all indies still exclusive to PS4 to this dy (including Velocity 2x I believe), and better than

I mean I know that between the delay on The Order and the problems of Driveclub (Deep Down also missing, as it was kinda expect in 2014, at least in Beta form), it's ben a bit slim on the actual exclusives, but ouch.

Its weird giving an award to a demo but (like blood said) i think it speaks more to quality and uniqueness of the experience than it does to the ps4 lineup itself.

iNvid02

Huh I guess I was right, the way they talked about hearthstone throughout the year felt like it had to be their GOTY

It's a good choice, coz it's also my goty :p

The1Ski

On best multiplayer: Personally I would have given it destiny, even with its massive problems. I recently completed vault of glass for the first time with my friends and it was pretty incredible. If they can get an entire game at this standard it would be mindblowing. Though i find the pvp multiplayer pretty terrible, so I would be quite conflicted at calling it best MP game.

That, right there, is the problem, sir! That variety needed to be applied to strikes and story missions.

Owzers

Hearthstone is more addictive than good to me, i stopped playing it quickly, i try to keep myself from playing games that tempt me to buy packs/microtransactions.

Zalman

Considering how much the GT staff has been talking about Hearthstone, I'm not surprised that was their pick.

Endo Punk

Legit surprised that pt won best game for ps4. The demo err sorry game really should be downloaded by every single ps4 owner, no excuses now. And Konami, get going on Silent Hills. The hype is through the roof.

UrbanRats

Wow, I'm borderline speechless.

Better than all indies still exclusive to PS4 to this day (including Velocity 2x I believe), and better than

I mean I know that between the delay on The Order and the problems of Driveclub (Deep Down also missing, as it was kinda expected in 2014, at least in Beta form), it's been a bit slim on the actual exclusives, but ouch.

If you watch Bosman's personal picks video, i think Brandon Jones makes an interesting case for it.
P.T. was more than the sum of its elements as a demo, it had a bigger impact and it was the most important piece of software the PS4 put out this year, i think that's a pretty fair way to look at it.

Besides, it made the impossible in making a Silent Hill fan who had given up (me), start to believe again!

Top Bottom