• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gay and Bisexual Coming-out thread |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

blame space said:
defining yourself by your sexuality to the point where you have to clear the air about it with anyone is silly. i'm not joining a community, i'm just attracted to what i'm attracted to (HOT BITCHES/BIG TITTIES, etc).

not to undermine anyone who's had a positive "coming out" experience.. just always seems it's more about proving something to themselves.. making sure people are "okay" with them.

thing is, i've never cared about people being "okay" with me.

It's difficult not to define yourself by your sexuality when your sexuality isn't the majority. It becomes an integral part of your self-identity when on a dail

I'd argue that it's the same for straight people, in that their heterosexuality is an integral part of their identity, but the difference is that many are less cognizant of this because they aren't forced to think about their sexuality as something about themselves that differentiates them from most other people they know. Instead, heterosexuality is seen as the default; if you don't say that you are gay (or come across as so gay that people assume it anyway), people will generally assume that you are heterosexual.

My coming out was a bit rough around the edges.

The sister I'm closest to was more than okay with it (we talk about dudes from movies/shows sometimes. We usually tell each other, "Ehhh, I don't see [the attractiveness]" to people we find attractive. We're glad we don't usually have the same taste. Good times :lol) She was the easiest because even when I was younger she'd say, "I'd support you even if you were gay" jokingly. Maybe she knew? I don't know.

My brother was also surprisingly cool about it. Apparently he always thought I was gay :lol (I had come out as bi, just to be safe :p I later clarified, though)

Mom and other sister didn't believe me. They thought it was a phase but now they accept it.

Dad was fine with it.

I came out when I was 17 (I'm 20 now). I'm the kind of person that always has their expectations low so as to not be disappointed. I also assume I'll get the worst-case-scenario deal :D For coming out, it was getting kicked out of my home (it was baseless, though).

Luckily when I came out to my friends and family as a bisexual (though, as of late, I haven't cared much for men and finding women more appealing); I was accepted. No one in my family feels ashamed and still love me. Even my sister who is super religious accepts me. To my friends, well...70% of my friends are bisexuals or gay so no worries there.

It feels strange. I feel like my mother and my youngest sister wants me to be gay rather than straight or bi. Has anyone else here feel like their parents or siblings wants them to be gay?

okno

Attackthebase said:
Luckily when I came out to my friends and family as a bisexual (though, as of late, I haven't cared much for men and finding women more appealing); I was accepted. No one in my family feels ashamed and still love me. Even my sister who is super religious accepts me. To my friends, well...70% of my friends are bisexuals or gay so no worries there.

It feels strange. I feel like my mother and my youngest sister wants me to be gay rather than straight or bi. Has anyone else here feel like their parents or siblings wants them to be gay?

I get that feeling a lot from my mom, especially when I was younger. The two of us would go on day trips on the train into Chicago and go shopping, all the while discussing the ins and outs of fashion trends, who looked good walking down the street, and gleefully laughing at the fashion casualties. I just thought of it as "me and mommy time" when I was younger, but I'm convinced my mom wishes I had been born a girl (I have two older brothers). I think she'd get a kick out of me being gay.

My dad, on the other hand, would most likely assault me, no joke. Good thing I don't talk to him anymore!

yeah but people assume a lot of stupid shit.. doesn't mean i go around correcting them on it. i'm a big dude.. people are sometimes surprised to learn that i choose not to eat meat. do i have a talk with them to tell them my personal dietary choices? no. i don't need to make my stance on factory farming or animal cruelty immediately or obviously apparent because i know that grown ass adults can make their own decisions about what they eat.

it almost seems to me like having "coming out" be seen as some kind of rite of passage further casts homosexuality or bisexuality into the realm of the Other..

EDIT: @Mumei

Mumei said:
I haven't read this, so I can't recommend it personally, but this is one of the few books I know about coming out that focuses on the spouse / children of gay adults who come out later in life after having started a heterosexual family.

What has happened since he came out?

He got married to his life partner.

LB-Lou-and-Andy.jpg

I'm not joking, his partner is disabled in a wheelchair. And this is all that I think of when I see them.

That's not the most difficult thing. What is really hard is my own wife asking if I am also gay but not comeout. I've got 2 brothers and thier wifes asked the same thing.

okno said:
My dad, on the other hand, would most likely assault me, no joke. Good thing I don't talk to him anymore!

My father is completely neutral towards it. He does not seem to care in the slightest that I am a bisexual (perhaps he still believes I will still continue our legacy :lol ). All he said when I came out was to watch out for people who would cause me harm because of my sexual orientation.

blame space said:
yeah but people assume a lot of stupid shit.. doesn't mean i go around correcting them on it. i'm a big dude.. people are sometimes surprised to learn that i choose not to eat meat. do i have a talk with them to tell them my personal dietary choices? no. i don't need to make my stance on factory farming or animal cruelty immediately or obviously apparent because i know that grown ass adults can make their own decisions about what they eat.

it almost seems to me like having "coming out" be seen as some kind of rite of passage further casts homosexuality or bisexuality into the realm of the Other..

Well, if the majority didn't give a shit like you do, the world would be a better place.

But that's not going to happen [any time soon]. Maybe. Who knows.

Roto13

blame space said:
defining yourself by your sexuality to the point where you have to clear the air about it with anyone is silly. i'm not joining a community, i'm just attracted to what i'm attracted to (HOT BITCHES/BIG TITTIES, etc).

not to undermine anyone who's had a positive "coming out" experience.. just always seems it's more about proving something to themselves.. making sure people are "okay" with them.

In a perfect world you could just say "It's nobody's business but my own" but on planet Earth, people care. You can say you don't care if people are "ok" with you, but see if you can say that when your friends and family you've had since you were born suddenly want nothing to do with you.

soco

blame space said:

for some people, it's about finding out who your real friends are and making an effort to bring those friendships closer by having things out in the open and showing they're ok with it.

we all, at some point in our lives, have been surrounded by people who wouldn't be our friends if they knew certain aspects of us. this accelerates that.

i've done what you talk about, and i hear time and time again how people feel like i keep them pretty distant because i don't share the details of my life. i don't always speak up and correct them. this only matters to me, because they matter to me. it's a very select number of people that i care about, everyone else i don't.

Munch

So do you guys think that in order for someone to identify as bi/pan/omnisexual that they MUST experience sex with both sexes/all genders in order to be a legitimate bi/pan/omnisexual?

Or do you think they're like homosexual/heterosexuals, in that just the crushes/feelings are enough. That you can know before having sex. Cause I'm going from heterosexual to possibly bi/pansexual but some think I need to get down with a lady to know for sure when I think just the feelings are enough.

I'll share my story when I find a way to make it so I don't appear more psycho than I already am.

Mumei

blame space said:

I'm not seeing how it couldn't be a rite of passage. If you are straight, when puberty comes along then there's nothing to say. You like girls (or boys, if you are a girl), and no one thinks this is particularly significant. If, however, you are a boy and it turns out you like boys and all the other boys are talking about girls and your family is asking you about
girls, even if you don't ever sit down and have the Serious Talk where you say the words "I'm gay," you'll still be "coming out" whenever you bring home your boyfriend. As long as heterosexuality is seen as the default position, there is going to be a point where someone who is openly gay "comes out." It's simply unavoidable if one is not actively trying to hide one's sexual orientation.

And while I don't really think your example is exactly equivalent, I would imagine that anyone who knows you well knows that you don't eat meat. They've probably picked up on that after having known you for awhile. They might even have asked you about it, and you might have explained how you feel. I think it's pretty much the same with coming out - the point isn't to go around correcting people. It's about telling family and friends.

Alcoori

dreamcastmaster said:
He got married to his life partner.

LB-Lou-and-Andy.jpg

I'm not joking, his partner is disabled in a wheelchair. And this is all that I think of when I see them.

That's not the most difficult thing. What is really hard is my own wife asking if I am also gay but not comeout. I've got 2 brothers and thier wifes asked the same thing.

I'm sorry but that's pretty stupid of them to ask, it's not because your dad is that you are as well.

My dad came out 4 years ago. I wasn't even out to my family then. Although I suspected it and am gay myself, it was still a shock. I was mad at him for cheating on my mom and being an ass to her for a couple of years before he came out.
He was obviously struggling with a lot of things, especially because his older brother committed suicide when my dad was 16 because he was gay and his family didn't accept it (apparently my dad wasn't sure that was the reason but his sisters were).

I eventually realize that it wasn't my job to be mad at him, that was my mom's. If she could forgive him I had no reason to be mad at him. He did go through some shit and even if I don't agree with the way he's gone about it, I still love him.

I came out a couple of years ago to my mom. I wasn't talking to my dad at that point so she eventually told him.
My brothers already knew because I had told them.
My mom took care of the extended family and the following Christmas I took my bf home with me. I'm lucky that everyone has been very welcoming of him. Me being gay is not at all a problem for anyone as it shouldn't be.

I went through the stage where I thought I shouldn't have to tell anyone because it doesn't matter.
But it does. It does very much indeed.
I think you got it all wrong blame space, i'm a vegetarian and I tell it to people when it comes up in a conversation. Why shouldn't I say anything? If they ask I'll tell them why but that's it. Coming out is the same thing, you're just letting people know. If they wanna ask stuff, they will, otherwise everyone just goes on with their life.
It doesn't cast us further away, au contraire, if anything it's just an affirmation that we're here and deal with it.

At least that's my opinion.

Mumei said:
I'm not seeing how it couldn't be a rite of passage. If you are straight, when puberty comes along then there's nothing to say. You like girls (or boys, if you are a girl), and no one thinks this is particularly significant. If, however, you are a boy and it turns out you like boys and all the other boys are talking about girls and your family is asking you about
girls, even if you don't ever sit down and have the Serious Talk where you say the words "I'm gay," you'll still be "coming out" whenever you bring home your boyfriend. As long as heterosexuality is seen as the default position, there is going to be a point where someone who is openly gay "comes out." It's simply unavoidable if one is not actively trying to hide one's sexual orientation.

And while I don't really think your example is exactly equivalent, I would imagine that anyone who knows you well knows that you don't eat meat. They've probably picked up on that after having known you for awhile. They might even have asked you about it, and you might have explained how you feel. I think it's pretty much the same with coming out - the point isn't to go around correcting people. It's about telling family and friends.

oh for sure. i didn't mean to cast being open and honest with those you care about in a negative light, and i certainly didn't mean to imply that vegetarianism is equivalent to homosexuality or bisexuality (it was just the first example that came to mind).

carry on everyone

stupei

Munch said:
So do you guys think that in order for someone to identify as bi/pan/omnisexual that they MUST experience sex with both sexes/all genders in order to be a legitimate bi/pan/omnisexual?

Or do you think they're like homosexual/heterosexuals, in that just the crushes/feelings are enough. That you can know before having sex. Cause I'm going from heterosexual to possibly bi/pansexual but some think I need to get down with a lady to know for sure when I think just the feelings are enough.

I'll share my story when I find a way to make it so I don't appear more psycho than I already am.

Like I said in the other thread, there's a difference between attraction and arousal. I think it's pretty common for open-minded heterosexual people to be attracted to members of the same sex and sometimes feel confusion, but when it comes to engaging in sexual activity they might not find it arousing or actually enjoy it. (Past kissing. Everyone's pretty much down with kissing, let's be honest.) So there's a distinction, but it's only one you can make for yourself.

Munch

stupei said:
Like I said in the other thread, there's a difference between attraction and arousal. I think it's pretty common for open-minded heterosexual people to be attracted to members of the same sex and sometimes feel confusion, but when it comes to engaging in sexual activity they might not find it arousing or actually enjoy it. (Past kissing. Everyone's pretty much down with kissing, let's be honest.) So there's a distinction, but it's only one you can make for yourself.

I don't mean "Oh, that guy is hot/that girl is pretty" I mean as in having an actual crush and day dreaming about kissing and sex and growing old together. I do it with my heterosexual crushes and now I'm doing it with same-sex crushes as well.

Or do you mean even for homosexual/heterosexual people who find the same sex/opposite sex attractive, they still need to have sex to know for sure too?

Roto13 said:
In a perfect world you could just say "It's nobody's business but my own" but on planet Earth, people care. You can say you don't care if people are "ok" with you, but see if you can say that when your friends and family you've had since you were born suddenly want nothing to do with you.

But then those people were not really worth shit to begin with, and you are better off, yes?

stupei

I grew up having daydreams about making out with this or that hot guy in my class and then when I kissed a boy for the first time it was just like, "Oh, is this really what my friends are so excited about? They must be really bored." :lol

Kissing a girl felt nothing like that. Even holding another girl's hand for the first time was an insane crazy rush that surpassed kissing a guy. (I remember being 17 and holding another girl's hand for just a few minutes in a parking lot while we were walking and my head actually felt light.)

I was always drawn more to women but I would rationalize it as, "Oh, I want to be friends with her." I didn't really know any gay people in my small town in Ohio. Hell, even after coming out to a few friends near the end of high school, I still hadn't met any other lesbians under the age of 30.

I credit Angelina Jolie and Clea DuVall for helping me actually figure it out. Saw Gia for like the fourth (ahem) time and dreamed that night about being at a party, flirting with a girl, and making out. (I guess some credit also goes to Elizabeth Mitchell. I mean, because damn.) Somehow, I still was in denial for a bit after that, though. :lol I mean, it was a dream. I'd had a dream about hooking up with a guy before.

But then But I'm a Cheerleader. It's even just a stupid PG-13 movie, but there's a scene where Clea's wearing this button-up shirt and biting at her lip while she lurks at the bar, and I just felt it. I had a moment of absolute clarity where I knew I wanted her. I think largely before that I was attracted to abstractions or ideals or like the idea of someone, but right then and there I wanted that person right there, and it was one of the clearest, simplest thoughts I'd ever had. All the years of being confused or doubting were just brushed aside with this simple, "Yeah, that's for me."

Took me almost a year to come out to someone in person, but I told a few people I knew online shortly after. That was a pretty dizzying feeling too, when they were just like, "Oh, cool."

Munch said:
Or do you mean even for homosexual/heterosexual people who find the same sex/opposite sex attractive, they still need to have sex to know for sure too?

I don't think you necessarily have to have sex, but I do think it can be confusing for a while and it's hard to know anything with certainty until you've tried it. Sometimes, you just know. But sometimes you're unsure, and only your own body can really clear it up for you, unfortunately.

Munch

stupei said:
I grew up having daydreams about making out with this or that hot guy in my class and then when I kissed a boy for the first time it was just like, "Oh, is this really what my friends are so excited about? They must be really bored." :lol

Kissing a girl felt nothing like that. Even holding another girl's hand for the first time was an insane crazy rush that surpassed kissing a guy. (I remember being 17 and holding another girl's hand for just a few minutes in a parking lot while we were walking and my head actually felt light.)

I was always drawn more to women but I would rationalize it as, "Oh, I want to be friends with her." I didn't really know any gay people in my small town in Ohio. Hell, even after coming out to a few friends near the end of high school, I still hadn't met any other lesbians under the age of 30.

I credit Angelina Jolie and Clea DuVall for helping me actually figure it out. Saw Gia for like the fourth (ahem) time and dreamed that night about being at a party, flirting with a girl, and making out. (I guess some credit also goes to Elizabeth Mitchell. I mean, because damn.) Somehow, I still was in denial for a bit after that, though. :lol I mean, it was a dream. I'd had a dream about hooking up with a guy before.

But then But I'm a Cheerleader. It's even just a stupid PG-13 movie, but there's a scene where Clea's wearing this button-up shirt and biting at her lip while she lurks at the bar, and I just felt it. I had a moment of absolute clarity where I knew I wanted her. I think largely before that I was attracted to abstractions or ideals or like the idea of someone, but right then and there I wanted that person right there, and it was one of the clearest, simplest thoughts I'd ever had. All the years of being confused or doubting were just brushed aside with this simple, "Yeah, that's for me."

Took me almost a year to come out to someone in person, but I told a few people I knew online shortly after. That was a pretty dizzying feeling too, when they were just like, "Oh, cool."

I don't think you necessarily have to have sex, but I do think it can be confusing for a while and it's hard to know anything with certainty until you've tried it. Sometimes, you just know. But sometimes you're unsure, and only your own body can really clear it up for you, unfortunately.

I've seen both Gia (have it) and "But I'm a Cheerleader" (have it). I mean, this is something I've been going through since age 9 and I'm not just talking about fantasies or dreams about just kissing. I was deep in there. I've had orgasms from these dreams. Not saying that "Oh this MUST mean something" but I mean, I guess I think it gives a little point.

But the crush thing has only happened to me twice, once with a male to female transexual and the next with a girl. But I've been into lesbian porn/chatrooms since I was 9 and always got that butterfly feeling like I did with guys. And I don't know if I'll ever be with a girl, but I was just wondering if many felt that crushes from where you're fantasizing about growing old with the person happily were enough sometimes.

I'm bi but I've never really come out. I guess the closest is with my mom. We were actually talking about my brother (who is gay, but is struggling with it and not open about it at all) and it seemed natural at that point to mention that I was bi. She was very supportive and didn't seem to mind at all.

The rest of my family doesn't know because it hasn't come up in conversation with them. If it did, I would definitely tell them as I'm not ashamed of it in any way. Since I haven't dated a guy long term they haven't really needed to know so I haven't mentioned it.

As for my friends, almost everyone I know at college knows. It's odd though because I was married (to a woman) when I originally went and got divorced a few years into college (not related to my sexuality). People began to figure it out when I would flirt with guys at parties and some people even saw me kissing a guy. Eventually people asked me and I told them. It wasn't a secret, just not something I was screaming from the rooftops. Just like I wasn't telling every person I was attracted to women, I didn't feel I needed to do the same with my attraction towards men.

Still though, I'd like for the rest of my family to know. It's an integral part of me and it feels weird that a lot of people at college that I barely know know about this but my family doesn't. Just not sure exactly how I would do that so it doesn't seem either forced and awkward or a bit dismissive and impersonal (like an email).

Alcoori

stupei said:

Yeah, not necessarily. That said first time I had sex with a guy, I didn't find it awkward or bad. I just thought that yes, definitely I was gay :D

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
_Isaac said:
You guys, I think I might be gay.

You know, I've always have had this lingering desire to see a photo of you. I don't know why, because you don't generally post in gaming side in the threads I do and I barely am around the gay thread (er-gay threads), anymore. Mostly because I don't have any gay drama to list to where I don't bother to post in it and generally ignore it (and ignore OT as well. *shrug*) :lol

Sibylus

Banned
I miss the big 'ol thread, but these new ones should serve Gaf well! This is my first post in either of them. Will recaps things to do with my own coming out to some family members after the weekend (thanksgiving get together imminent).

Koodo

Banned
Teh Hamburglar said:
if you aren't sure if you're gay someone post the pics of big daddy Brett Farve's penis. That way we can be sure.
I felt less gay after watching those. Unattractive total.

How do you deal when you have absolutely no clue as to how the family will react? I feel like I'm a little less sane each passing day that I don't shout out "hello, I am gay and I don't like a fucking vagina."

I've been trying my hardest to look for any clues. I'm mostly worried about how my mother would react; she has a gay brother, and you'd think this would make me feel at ease, but no. Even though she (and the rest of her siblings) accept him, the relationship seems akin to DADT. It seems like they deal with him because they don't have to get involved in his personal affairs, but a mother-son relationship doesn't work like that (in fact, my grandmother was the only one who talked to my gay uncle about personal topics).

I sometimes hate society a lot. :c

Koodo said:
I felt less gay after watching those. Unattractive total.

How do you deal when you have absolutely no clue as to how the family will react? I feel like I'm a little less sane each passing day that I don't shout out "hello, I am gay and I don't like a fucking vagina."

I've been trying my hardest to look for any clues. I'm mostly worried about how my mother would react; she has a gay brother, and you'd think this would make me feel at ease, but no. Even though she (and the rest of her siblings) accept him, the relationship seems akin to DADT. It seems like they deal with him because they don't have to get involved in his personal affairs, but a mother-son relationship doesn't work like that (in fact, my grandmother was the only one who talked to my gay uncle about personal topics).

I sometimes hate society a lot. :c
If you're financially stable enough to not have to deal with getting kicked out of the house or whatever I'd go ahead and tell her.

Koodo

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
If you're financially stable enough to not have to deal with getting kicked out of the house or whatever I'd go ahead and tell her.
I'm not. I'm a college student living at home, so I'm probably right now the most financially dependent I'll ever be in my life.

Well then I'd walk on eggshells for awhile and when college is over and you get a job then just drop the bomb and walk out. It's easy to be out of the closet in public, honestly, and stay in the closet in home. It sucks, but it's doable.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
has anyone ever heard a story of anyone's parents actually pulling the financial plug on their kid because they're gay?

I mean, it's cited really often, but it seems like such a bizarre concept to me.

Rez said:
has anyone ever heard a story of anyone's parents actually pulling the financial plug on their kid because they're gay?

I mean, it's cited really often, but it seems like such a bizarre concept to me.
Getting kicked out of the house is incredibly common, and yes... it does happen.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't doubt it's a possibility, and maybe it's a cultural thing, but from all the experiences I've heard of, the opposite usually happens. It can bring families closer together or help them understand some of the misery you've may have been going through.

Your parents gave birth to you. Chances are they love you now and they'll love you after, especially if you're "a good kid" prior to this.

Rez said:

I had a friend who came out to his "Christian" parents. They took his laptop hostage, his cell phone, cut him off completely financially. Thankfully some people from his church helped him out so hes not homeless (he lives away at college, but can stay with them whenever he wants).

His facebook also went nuclear with his religious friends going off on him for his sin, hating the sin but loving the sinner and everything inbetween. Was a awful situation that thankfully ended in a somewhat positive note. That is he could have had zero support.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
That's awful. It couldn't seem like a more alien thing to me, though. It seems like such a weird cultural divide between the US and where I live (although it could be just as common in AU depending on where you live). I know a lot of religious families here, but i just can't imagine them doing something similar.

I just don't like fanning the flames of "your parents may go batshit insane over this". I mean, I have nothing but sympathy for the people who experience this and I'm not trying to make what they went through any less significant, but at the same time I think it's important to remember that, I suspect, the majority of the times this is not the case.

Erebus

I hate what happened to the other superior thread but if this is the way to go from now on, at the very least please merge the two new threads. It's already hard to keep up as it is and I imagine it will only get worse by the time.

DarkUSS said:
I hate what happened to the other superior thread but if this is the way to go from now on, at the very least please merge the two new threads. It's already hard to keep up as it is and I imagine it will only get worse by the time.

I feel like a Gay-GAF superthread is inevitable.

God, I don't want to sound offensive by any means, but most of the gay men I have talked to at my school have really high voices, ya know? How are their voices like that?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
DarkUSS said:

Ain't gonna happen. Eviore wants us to have seperate threads, so here we go with this stuff. :/

AvidNobody said:
God, I don't want to sound offensive by any means, but most of the gay men I have talked to at my school have really high voices, ya know? How are their voices like that?
Either inherent feminine voices or a compulsive need to fit into a stereotype after coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom