• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

ThirdEngine said:
Cliff, you should patch in some new executions with TU3.
They should patch the damn Chainsaw. Thing is still too damn broken, I have started to hate it, especially when I shoot somebody right in his face with the shotty and he still manages to cut me. I hate that :/

Besides that, I'm really satisfied with Gears 2 right now. Especially Player matches with people from the same region are amazing, even if not in the host team, there is very little lag.

Give the Chainsaw some sort of restriction. It should have fuel bar similar to the Hammer of Dawn. Or it should overheat like the Troika/MG. Just balance that thing a little bit out, so people who constantly use it think twice about running straight into a KotH or Annex point knowing they'll at least cut through one person no matter what.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Speaking of chainsawing, what did you guys think of my performance last night? :lol

Man, people just don't learn, do they? Every single time on Ruins the same guy would fall for my trap. He would run down the bridge looking for smokes. No smokes found -> proceed down. I would of course be waiting there at the bottom and SURPRISE!! eat him with my chainsaw. EVERY SINGLE ROUND!

It is way overpowered. I can't tell you how many shotgun blasts I walked through last night... then SUUUUUUCK into my chainsaw. Then the hate messages would come :lol

I think it balances out the team. I saved Aladuf and Third a couple times when they were in shotgun duels or picking up weapons. Plus it infuriates the opposition... :D

kuYuri

RSTEIN said:
Speaking of chainsawing, what did you guys think of my performance last night? :lol

Man, people just don't learn, do they? Every single time on Ruins the same guy would fall for my trap. He would run down the bridge looking for smokes. No smokes found -> proceed down. I would of course be waiting there at the bottom and SURPRISE!! eat him with my chainsaw. EVERY SINGLE ROUND!

It is way overpowered. I can't tell you how many shotgun blasts I walked through last night... then SUUUUUUCK into my chainsaw. Then the hate messages would come :lol

I think it balances out the team. I saved Aladuf and Third a couple times when they were in shotgun duels or picking up weapons. Plus it infuriates the opposition... :D

Yeah, it was kind of funny. You still got hate messages after those games?

whitehawk

Banned
Next time we play, let me host the party (not the chat). Usually Im host and if your the party leader I think your more likely to be the host. Then Ill own with my shotgun, and so will RJ :)

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Hellraizer said:
They should patch the damn Chainsaw. Thing is still too damn broken, I have started to hate it, especially when I shoot somebody right in his face with the shotty and he still manages to cut me. I hate that :/

Besides that, I'm really satisfied with Gears 2 right now. Especially Player matches with people from the same region are amazing, even if not in the host team, there is very little lag.

Give the Chainsaw some sort of restriction. It should have fuel bar similar to the Hammer of Dawn. Or it should overheat like the Troika/MG. Just balance that thing a little bit out, so people who constantly use it think twice about running straight into a KotH or Annex point knowing they'll at least cut through one person no matter what.

they need to fix the netcode, thats why the chainsaw seems overpowered. If things worked properly it would be fine.

I often have to revert to my chainsaw because its the only weapon I can get a kill with in some matches. All I have to do is sneak up on someone, rev it and walk into their body for about a second before it kills em, sometimes longer. But at least I have a chance. Most of the time I'm walking around like cannon fodder. Its infuriating.

I went from playing and competing with one of the top clans in Europe with GoW 1 to being largely useless in GoW 2. I'm still ok in horde and campaign mode but goddamn is that MP an annoying bitch.

Aladuf

Banned
RSTEIN said:
I saved Aladuf and Third a couple times when they were in shotgun duels or picking up weapons. Plus it infuriates the opposition... :D
You sure as hell saved me a couple of times, it was funny to hear the people's bitter tears in their messages too.

whitehawk said:
Next time we play, let me host the party (not the chat). Usually Im host and if your the party leader I think your more likely to be the host. Then Ill own with my shotgun, and so will RJ :)
Well, Third was a our party leader last night and he hosted a bit as usual. We'll see what happens when the time comes.. and no, RJ won't use his shotgun. :lol

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I've given up on gears except horde and campaign.

It's a great game but 1 game feels excellent and fun and the second game feels like you are playing a team with cheats on. There's only so many time you can shoot a guy with a shotgun 4 times then he walks up to you and you EXPLODE before you get sick of it.

Been playing Halo 3 again and it's so responsive and fun.

It was fun gears, but you've got nothing on L4D and Halo 3 for multi experience IMO.

kaizoku said:
they need to fix the netcode, thats why the chainsaw seems overpowered. If things worked properly it would be fine.
Can't remember how many times I got chainsawed even as host, I shoot the other player right into the face, he get's hit, he still chainsaws me.

This was different in Gears 1, despite the almost same laggy netcode with host advantages. One shot out of the shotty, even from the hip, and the Chainsaw stops, most of the time.

I often have to revert to my chainsaw because its the only weapon I can get a kill with in some matches. All I have to do is sneak up on someone, rev it and walk into their body for about a second before it kills em, sometimes longer. But at least I have a chance. Most of the time I'm walking around like cannon fodder. Its infuriating.
Try the Hammerburst. It's my new weapon of choice. Especially against the Shotty, when someone tries to jump or rush at me, the burst puts it to an end. I love that gun.

Solid group of five is solid.
Solid group of five is the way to play. The game can get frustrating as hell if you play "alone".

Baker

Banned
Hellraizer said:
Solid group of five is the way to play. The game can get frustrating as hell if you play "alone".

Ugh yeah. I did that last night for the first time in a LONG time. Out of 7-8 matches, I only could keep my headset on during one game. I got into the lobby first game out of the gate and walked immediately into some random TEAMMATE just start talking shit to me personally even though I hadn't even said anything yet.

Karma worked out because after the 4th round he only had 5 points. However, he ended up with two kills because he spent the 5th round following me around and stole both my downs.

If you guys get another game set up and have room, add me. I probably have some of you on my list already. GT: Forensick

Aladuf

Banned
Baker said:
If you guys get another game set up and have room, add me. I probably have some of you on my list already. GT: Forensick
I'll send an invite, there's becoming a big group of us that play each night so you can join in whenever.

bimet

Finally, some love for the hammerburst above. What's with all this chainsaw nonsense? Real players use the HB. Pew pew pew!

And yes, this game is so much more enjoyable with a full party. Not with a group of five? Expect your teammates to quit on you as soon as things begin to spiral down. :( That's not to say the game doesn't need more work (fuck you, warzone. Assholes camping near frags and tagging every fucking wall with smokes/frags/ink. Ugh), because it does; why a SMOKE manages to launch a 200+ lb man 5 meters into space it's still to be explained by Epic.

So gaf, I learned how to host bridge (i.e. become host in every match) last night. Now, before you send the wolves my way, understand why it isn't such a bad thing in the current state of things. I hate the host advantage as much as the next guy, but being standby/lag switch'd or having the host quit the game because you're winning is not cool. Until Epic addresses those two problems, all my friends agree this is pretty much the safest way to prevent douchebags from ruining the game for you. I got mixed feelings about this... On one hand, it sucks knowing you have the upper hand in the match but on the other, I'm happy knowing my friends are able to play a match without worrying about quitters or being shit on.

What say you?

bimet said:
Finally, some love for the hammerburst above. What's with all this chainsaw nonsense? Real players use the HB. Pew pew pew!

And yes, this game is so much more enjoyable with a full party. Not with a group of five? Expect your teammates to quit on you as soon as things begin to spiral down. :( That's not to say the game doesn't need more work (fuck you, warzone. Assholes camping near frags and tagging every fucking wall with smokes/frags/ink. Ugh), because it does; why a SMOKE manages to launch a 200+ lb man 5 meters into space it's still to be explained by Epic.

So gaf, I learned how to host bridge (i.e. become host in every match) last night. Now, before you send the wolves my way, understand why it isn't such a bad thing in the current state of things. I hate the host advantage as much as the next guy, but being standby/lag switch'd or having the host quit the game because you're winning is not cool. Until Epic addresses those two problems, all my friends agree this is pretty much the safest way to prevent douchebags from ruining the game for you. I got mixed feelings about this... On one hand, it sucks knowing you have the upper hand in the match but on the other, I'm happy knowing my friends are able to play a match without worrying about quitters or being shit on.

What say you?

Agreed. When the cheating shit really started hitting the fan hardcore in Halo 2, my friend always bridged host to me to prevent getting cheated. Hey, if the developers aren't going to do anything, you have to take the law into your own hands as long as you don't do anything dirty (which we certainly did not).

bimet said:

What say you?

Just remember that with great power comes great responsibility.

Aladuf

Banned
bimet said:
*snip*

What say you?
Seems reasonable, as long as you've got a good connection and all that and aren't fucking over the people joining in with a laggy match then I don't see the real problem. If that's what it takes to have a real match without worries of a host quitting out, then it sounds good to me.

Kolgar

catfish said:
I've given up on gears except horde and campaign.

It's a great game but 1 game feels excellent and fun and the second game feels like you are playing a team with cheats on. There's only so many time you can shoot a guy with a shotgun 4 times then he walks up to you and you EXPLODE before you get sick of it.

Been playing Halo 3 again and it's so responsive and fun.

It was fun gears, but you've got nothing on L4D and Halo 3 for multi experience IMO.

I'm with you there. I'm back to Unreal Tournament and L4D myself.

Last night I uninstalled Gears 2 from my hard drive. That's pretty damning! :lol

Aladuf said:
I'll send an invite, there's becoming a big group of us that play each night so you can join in whenever.
shoot one my way too. I play pretty regularly, often with gaffers. this talk of private games has me salivating.

gamertag = warbegins

I can get some playtime in tonight, but I'll be out of town this weekend for a funeral.

Hellraizer said:
Try the Hammerburst. It's my new weapon of choice. Especially against the Shotty, when someone tries to jump or rush at me, the burst puts it to an end. I love that gun.
Hammerburst is your best friend against someone with Scorcher. With just a couple seconds of good shots he'll stop dead in his tracks.

<3

Aladuf

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
Hammerburst is your best friend against someone with Scorcher. With just a couple seconds of good shots he'll stop dead in his tracks.

<3
Hammerburst is your best friend, period. It's all I've been using lately, it fucks them up bad.. plus I figure, might as well have the more powerful one since the Lancer and HB can be so random sometimes.

JB1981

honestly with a good party of 5, it's basically my favorite mp shooter ... seriously, game is awesome with a well-coordinated team, even if the netcode is less than perfect

Flunkie

Banned
Shins said:
whereami.png
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Mohonky

Seriously in this game played mostly by little kids or something? The first sign they're losing the game and they all quit. More often than not a game ends with at least 3 people leaving.

Whats their fucking problem? I've sat through laggy as matches and just dealt with it, I've played 1 and a half games of myself vs 5 oppostion with lag because everyone on my team just can't hack losing, or if you're winning the entire opposition drops out.

Grow a pair of fucking balls you softcocks.

Aladuf

Banned
Chinner said:
I want to play with yo guys but you always play so late :(
I know, we always seem to have a hard time getting matches in with GAFers who are across the pond. Usually a group of us get started around 8 pm EST so that's already pretty late for you guys.

Mohonky said:
Whats their fucking problem?
There's 2 things I think, one is that people are simply protecting their rank by quitting and second, since Gears is such a small game with more "personal contact" I guess people tend to take things a lot more personally than in games like CoD or Halo. In those games you can have 10 different people rushing you and getting kills all over the place and then you just simply respawn but in Gears there can always be that one guy who keeps chainsawing you or two-piecing you and then you have to sit in the death lobby and watch your team fight it out. Basically, in Gears people get way more pissed off compared to other games out there because of its unique style... thus there's more quitting because they're pussies. ;)

whitehawk said:
Ya, I was host twice at least last night. Hopefully your connection was good.
It was a great connection iirc, but you kept randomly leaving mid-match both times. :p

People who are new to the game should definitely check out the Epic forums for some solid advice:

Uhh if ur on Gears 1 use shotty alot for some1 who is new, if ur using shotty dont aim put there body in the center of ur screen and hipshoot.
Gears2: use lancer or HammerBurst, with lancer hipshoot at them and try to get close and chainsaw(he's new) and with hammerburst just AIM at there head. If u want just add me and whisper me and ill teach u some things on gears

Aladuf

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
People who are new to the game should definitely check out the Epic forums for some solid advice:
*taeks note of wut 2 do*

i cud lurn sum things frum this dood. frum now on ill never do nething but hipshoot.

This is why I can't look at those forums. :lol

h3ro

Aladuf said:
*taeks note of wut 2 do*

i cud lurn sum things frum this dood. frum now on ill never do nething but hipshoot.

This is why I can't look at those forums. :lol

Gear is a cool dood. He kills lokusts and doesn't afraid of chainsaws.

draven said:
So, next online meet-up? Tonight 9pm EST?
Somewhere around there. We usually get on around 8 to warm up with the bots before going into pub matches. After a few of those we're usually set for the night.

Chinner said:
I might go and give the HB a try. I always kept the lancer just incase I was unlucky enough to be placed in a laggy match.
Even if it's laggy the HB can be effective. As long as it's not "unplayable" lag. I love it especially in Annex when everyone tries to rush the point and you just down everything getting close.

Dyno

ALMOST finished the campaign. Taking my sweet-assed time, playing only when there is a friend over do to it in co-op. We near the end. It looms immenent.

To nitpick it lost a bit of pace in the middle what with vehicle segments and some other non-standard bits but after that
penetrating the Queen's castle
is pure, classic Gears of War. Wave after wave of great fights in crazy looking environments, dumping spent weapons and throwing together new strategies on the fly.

Glorious fucking shit man. Great sequel so far.

EazyB

Banned
RSTEIN said:

You don't know a thing about the chainsaw:
EazyB said:
I have done it!

Games Played 79
Wins 43
Losses 36
Win/Loss Ratio 1.19
Kills 1,076
Deaths 730
Kill/Death Ratio 1.47

Chainsaw Duels 109
Wins 82
Losses 17
Ties 10
Win/Loss Ratio 4.82

Chainsaw Kills 1,002

Now I can set this game aside.
Non-chainsaw kills: 74

AndresON777

shooting blanks
RSTEIN said:

:lol :lol :lol

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
cjelly said:
I just checked my stats and I haven't even played Stasis once.

Does that map ever come up? Hail is almost as bad.

Hail and Stasis are definitely the most hated maps. I understand why people don't like Stasis. It's just an annoying map. However, I do love Hail. There are so many different approaches you can take. I would love a blown up version of Hail with a lower part and a huge defensive position on a cliff with a pillbox and a mulcher. Three ways in with one huge main entrance.

whitehawk

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
Somewhere around there. We usually get on around 8 to warm up with the bots before going into pub matches. After a few of those we're usually set for the night.
War.. Warm up? This isnt a sport, you dont need to warm up your finger muscles to prevent injuries. Just play :lol

Aladuf

Banned
whitehawk said:
War.. Warm up? This isnt a sport, you dont need to warm up your finger muscles to prevent injuries. Just play :lol
Yeaaaaaah.. that's a "ThirdEngine" kind of thing.. we all just play along. :lol

Top Bottom