• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Collectors Edition revealed (pics inside)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
highly collectible embossed metal box which includes the following additional content:

* Destroyed Beauty, the Gears of War hardbound art book
* Bonus special features DVD, including:
* An inside look at the making of Gears of War
* The "Art of Gears of War" trailer
* Gears of War: The Race to E3

1157728235.jpg

1157727709.jpg

Oneself

I'll get the normal version and then download the bonus features when it will be available on Xbox live. They won't screw me again with limited editions. (must.. resist... thin case)

Gek54

Wario64 said:
highly collectible embossed metal box which includes the following additional content:

* Destroyed Beauty, the Gears of War hardbound art book
* Bonus special features DVD, including:
* An inside look at the making of Gears of War
* The "Art of Gears of War" trailer
* Gears of War: The Race to E3

Arnt these two freely available on the net even in HD?

Wollan

That cover art is so much better. I guess I'm getting this one.

edit: Where's the only for X360 mark? Confirmation of pc release?

2nd edit: The content is shit though. Normal edition I guess.

ant1532

Banned
Don't like the boxart at all.
I can watch all the DVD specials on MTV.com

Normal version is the one I will get.

rubso

Banned
SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD

Jeff-DSA

Hey guys, let's pay a premium for some junk that will sit in a box for years. Sounds good, right?

Seriously, I want this game as much as anybody else, but these collector's editions are terrible.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I think im over the tin case fad, this is such a shitty collectors edition, a book with art from e3 2005 and a DVD with a making of video...probably the one from this years e3. Wheres the face plate? Or a cloth map or some shit like that.

Tieno

Metal case, I don't like! wa wa wee wa! I like the art book though! I still regret to this day that I didn't bought the Halo 2 limited edition stuff as I really would have liked to see that documentary. Too bad the behind the scenes footage is only the MTV one (edit: oops, it's not so YAY!). Would have liked to see more. They should have put some awesome piece of concept art on the metal case and I would have been all over it...too bad they went with something uninteresting

So I don't know yet...

18+ ftw!

Ghost said:
I think im over the tin case fad, this is such a shitty collectors edition, a book with art from e3 2005 and a DVD with a making of video...probably the one from this years e3. Wheres the face plate? Or a cloth map or some shit like that.
No extras but a faceplate would be cool, and I don't even like the X360.

If there was a parallel thing with the PS3, I'd be happy with a +$10 price for a limited edition faceplate. Some crazy MGS4 thing, maybe with hand-drawn art or something? Hell yeah, I'd be all over that.

MGS3:S Limited Edition was the only CE/LE I haven't regretted paying extra for.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
MINE!!!

But can you really watch that Art of Gears of War on MTV? I know that Race to E3 thing is there already though...

Tieno

You know, they should put the extra stuff from Limited Edition Games on Marketplace for points for people who forgot it or missed out or just want to see it.

Nameless

Judging by the the response, I guess i'm the only one limited/collector's edition versions of games are a huge waste of money. Collector's disc never include anything useful such as demos, exclusive trailers of other games, playable 'lost levels', alternate endings etc..

-Rogue5-

I'm going to buy it, but if it sucks (relative to the hype it has received) I will never buy another Epic (or CliffyB) game new again. Used maybe, but new, never.

As with a lot of things recently, I'm cautiously optimistic.

-Rogue5-

Nameless said:
Judging by the the response, I guess i'm the only one limited/collector's edition versions of games are a huge waste of money. Collector's disc never include anything useful such as demos, exclusive trailers of other games, playable 'lost levels', alternate endings etc..

I agree CEs don't include that much stuff, but it's more for collection purposes anyway... It's the equivalent of owning a "Player's Choice"/"Greatest Hits"/"whateverthexboxoneis" version of a game; it just shows you cheap-skated on a highly anticipated (and potentially amazing) game.

Tieno

Stinkles said:
What WOULD you like to see in a special edition?
I haven't seen the Halo 2 special edition but have you seen the LOTR special edition DVD? Maybe not as indepth but not too far off either. Stuff like that Bungie Tour you did a while back (funny!). Actual good concept art (somewhere) on the case ala LOTR (not something minimalistic). I was dissapointed with the Oblivion making off, it was way too short, it felt more like an introduction. Explaining the design of creatures, worlds, characters...

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Stinkles said:

A Jade Raymond centerfold spread.

On topic, I have had this reserved for a month or so. Looking good. Now, hopefully, the single player won't suck.

-Rogue5- said:
I agree CEs don't include that much stuff, but it's more for collection purposes anyway... It's the equivalent of owning a "Player's Choice"/"Greatest Hits"/"whateverthexboxoneis" version of a game; it just shows you cheap-skated on a highly anticipated (and potentially amazing) game.
oh, to be shunned among such an elite strata of society! What ever shall I do?!

Jeff-DSA

Stinkles said:

Demos, deeper looks into the storyline, ORIGINAL CONTENT ON THE DVD, alternate endings that were canned, and other stuff that a fan would be interested in.

At $3 it might be worth it for the junk (and it is junk), but $10 is just ridiculous.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Stinkles said:

Gamerpics and Themes unique to the release.
Faceplate, so I can ebay something.
Developer Commentary track mode (using either text bubbles like in Half Life 2 Lost Coast, or simple streaming like in Rebel Strike)
T-shirt that I could wear while painting or polishing shoes.
An "add" to Gears of War Special Edition's Myspace page.
A coupon for a free Mountain Dew at Taco Bell.

-Rogue5-

Guy LeDouche said:
oh, to be shunned among such an elite strata of society! What ever shall I do?!

heh, I meant it would be a constant personal reminder of your stinginess... You obviously have no problems with it and that's your choice. As for me, I'd rather have the most fully-featured version available, even if the additions are merely superficial/useless... again, for collection purposes (hence "Collector's Edition").

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Stinkles said:

Tin case, tons of behind the scenes material (full DVD), like footage, pics and so on... a nice hardcover book with the art and chronicles of Halo 1 to 3, a LE Joyride Halo 3 Master Chief action figure, a big cool poster...

And maybe 2 or 3 maps that you can get months early before the rest of XBL gets them... maybe I can come up with more stuff later... this is the end of this story after all - it's GOTTA be big! :)

Oh and all of the cool stuff that Goreomedy mentioned that I should have thought of when thinking of XBL... doh

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Goreomedy said:
Gamerpics and Themes unique to the release.
Faceplate, so I can ebay something.
Developer Commentary track mode (using either text bubbles like in Half Life 2 Lost Coast, or simple streaming like in Rebel Strike)
T-shirt that I could wear while painting or polishing shoes.
An "add" to Gears of War Special Edition's Myspace page.
A coupon for a free Mountain Dew at Taco Bell.

The skull of each developer's first born child?

Rorschach

10 dollars more is excessive for most of these limited editions (especially seeing as how the normal game is already 60 bucks). That said, I don't think I can resist the artbook and tin case. :(

Mrbob

Yeah I'll be getting the regular edition it seems.

I want to see some more commentary in the game, like HL2 episode 1 does. Now that would be a worthwhile CE bonus.

Amir0x

Banned
An artbook is a nice bonus. But, I'm already paying $59.99 for GEARS... I don't think I could stomach $69.99, even with a art book, unless it's for a game with a giant peripheral ala Guitar Hero.

Top Bottom