• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Remaster Footage

Dr Dogg

Well as much as I'm the voice of derision when it comes to Money for Old Rope Editions, Gear of War with more than a lick of pain wil probably push me over the edge and pick up an Xbox One (well unless there's a PC version in the works which while Microsoft is in the business of trying to sell a console I doubt is happening any time soon).

One point of note is that comparison picture which is supposed a PC shot is misleading at best. Now there's a little issue as you need two peeps to load up a map in Gears on PC and seeing as it's dead I get greeted by this.

17603173406_a702de43b4_o.png

Which is the best view I can get of the Canals map but I think you can see it's fucking miles apart from that supposed PC screenshot. Still even with 4xSGSSAA and HBAO+ on my PC, which are above an beyond what the XO can do, the early footage for the Ultimate Edition looks waaay better in terms of texture quality, lighting model, technique for reflections etc.

The Gears hype is startin' up and Gaf is already seeing tons of shit posting over it. One of the reasons why E3 is gonna be a big one this year. Game looks good. Hoping for a complete series release though,that'd hit the sweet spot.

A resounding meh and I used to be a huge Gears fan. What are the odds these screens and video are grabbed from an old build?

Eh, don't mind me, I'm rarely impressed with last gen remasters... It's too soon.

Anyway, I'll reserve judgement for E3. They will reveal this properly at E3, right?

Nothing in that "remaster" footage looks impressive. Its still this G1 UE3 prebaked lighting. Gears 3 was the first Gears with real time lighting.

I hope the Campaign gets a bigger overhaul.

Please let the physics be exactly the same. Fuck I want crab walking and sky diving and everything. Microsoft pls!

I dream to wall bounce like a manic once more!

Nozem

Yup, looks like Gears.

Even though Gears 1 is one of my favorite games ever (especially before party chat killed the multiplayer), I don't know if this remaster will be enough to make me buy an X1.

Feindflug

Nothing in that "remaster" footage looks impressive. Its still this G1 UE3 prebaked lighting. Gears 3 was the first Gears with real time lighting.

What do you mean by real time lighting? I'm pretty sure that Gears 3 used a pre-baked lighting engine as well.

Also the improvement in lighting is pretty obvious in the screenshots comparison in the op.

nOoblet16

Honestly, it's not the graphics that I care about here. What I want to know is if the movement system is the fluid one from Gears 3 and not Gears 1..

Ok, if you don't it's a big enough jump... ok, but open your eyes people. It's very different.

Some new textures here and there and a darker tone is not worth 60 bucks to me...

Show me an overhaul like the Halo games did with HaloCE and Halo 2. Maybe this is happening with the campaign. But MP is unimpressive IMO

Anyone expecting a remaster on the same level as Halo 2 Anniversary will likely be left pretty disappointed.

nOoblet16

Some new textures here and there and a darker tone is not worth 60 bucks to me...

Show me an overhaul like the Halo games did with HaloCE and Halo 2. Maybe this is happening with the campaign. But MP is unimpressive IMO

Halo 2 and Halo 1 were both sixth Gen games, Gears is seventh gen, the "amount" of overhaul needed or the jump between the games is different for both. Gears 1 will most probably still end up looking better than both of them (and no doubt better than Halo 1 anniversary) because of the simple fact that it will run on the latest UE3 iteration, and that is a significant improvement in itself over Gears 1.

Unlike other games with remasters Gears has the advantage because the engine has been constantly upgraded over time, most other remasters do not have this advantage because the engine used in those games never get reused and updated. So they either have to do a remake from scratch like in Halo's case or just update the resolution and some artwork here and there. With Gears, it can effectively be ported to the latest UE3.

I hear you man, I'm on the same boat. What we've seen is only enough for me if it's all 3 at that level... but it's early.

I can get Gears of War for £1.50 from local CEX.

Remasters are useless to me of games I have played unless there is something stellar about them (Halo:MCC I thought was worth it for the campaigns, and spanned 2 consoles not just one).

I will wait for further news but I may just go back to Xbox 360 to replay

Raide

Still not 100% sure if this is real but certainly looks good. Will wait for a full reveal of content and pricing before I say anything. Just the hint of Gears coming back is good enough for me!

RulkezX

Super excited for a new Gears (hopefully next year) but I'm not sure a shiny new paint job is enough to make me buy a remaster of G1 given I'm not a huge fan of the MP.

Still it clearly appeals to some and it's existence is great for all those people who moved from PS3 to XO

Feindflug

You could say that it almost looks like an early PS3 title...am I right? :O

Ubersnug

Still not 100% sure if this is real but certainly looks good. Will wait for a full reveal of content and pricing before I say anything. Just the hint of Gears coming back is good enough for me!

But the footage was captured from the Xboxdvr sites, which in turn get their footage direct from the Xbox One DVR archive, via the Xbox API. So unless there is a major troll campaign underway, involving the DVR sites and someone very good at mocking up Gears levels, then this would seem to be legitimate leak.

Well I'm intrigued. If it's only the first one, they'd better keep the price down as much as they can.

I can understand why they wouldn't want to port all three at the same time, though, after what happened with the Master Chief Collection.

Raide

But the footage was captured from the Xboxdvr sites, which in turn get their footage direct from the Xbox One DVR archive, via the Xbox API. So unless there is a major troll campaign underway, involving the DVR sites and someone very good at mocking up Gears levels, then this would seem to be legitimate leak.

Well, must be pretty much close to true then. Still have to see what content they have planned for this. Loved Gears 1 but I will still be a bit disappointed if this is not a remake of gears 1,2 & 3.

I'm so excited for Gears. It was my first game over in the Microsoft ball park so it holds a special place for me but if this is just Gears 1 remaster then I really hope it isn't sold full price. Unless it's all the maps from 1-3 and just a remastered gears 1 campaign or something then I may just pay full price. But to be honest I'd prefer something more like a Gears Collection like the Halo one.

Well previous test games could have game clips disabled, or when there were clips recorded, they were private. Only I could see clips I made in a previous game test session. So maybe a mistake here, or are these sites able to grab those clips too?

Also, bye bye home testing.

Hermii

I remember how amazing the original was back in the day. It was one of the first games that fully took advantage of the hardware.

Raide

Wonder if the original game will get the aditional chapter exlusive for PC

Not even sure how much content was in that chapter or if it was even any good! Would be nice to add it on though.

I also wonder if they will remake some of the later Gears MP maps to get them in this version. I will be sad if Horde is not in there but then it was never in Gears 1, so the chances are slim to none.

Top Bottom