• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeForce GTX 1060 announced - July 19, 6GB, $249 MSRP/$299 Founder's

Regginator

RX 480 is €285-300+ here, I expect €350-380 for a GTX 1060 at least (which is out of my price class)

I took a quick look again and yeah, the 8GB Sapphire is around €280/290 here (Netherlands). The MSI version is €299.

This is going to be a strong contender against the RX 480.

It's great to see the mid-range GPU market get higher performing products at around the same price-point or even lower.

250 for a 6 GB gtx 1060 seems like a pretty good deal, as good as the rx480, am I correct in saying that?

Pretty much. The performance on the 1060 though because of overclocks potential will probably put it ahead of the 480 though. It'll be interesting to see, but given what we've seen from the 1070/1080 this will be a well performing card and at a lower wattage.

I think the 480 is a better deal: cheaper and more future proof (dx12, vulkan).

Only time will tell, there's s good chance the 1060 will outperform and Nvidia's new architectures have their own response to Async computer which seems to be working fine. The main thing is with consoles continuing to be dominated by AMD APU's slot of games will generally be more optimized (at least at release) for AMD cards which usually means less issues. Additionally AMD is better known for their long term support.

It's definitely an interesting decision those at the $200-300 dollar price range have to make. That being said for 1080p gamers the 4GB 480 is probably still the best buy and will be $70-100 cheaper on average depending on the AIB partner which is enough to influence a buying decision.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
how is it more future proof? its not like nvidia isn't supporting these features.
the only reason why AMD card got such a big boost from dx12 was that their dx11 implementation sucked balls. a gtx970 is still within 2-3fps of a RX480 in ashes of the singularity dx12 test. People are just like ooh why didn't nvidia get a big boost from dx12.. that because they had good dx11 implementation.
Yeah this rationale is pretty ridiculous.

Has there ever been a situation where GPU A was superior at launch, but GPU B ended up being better in the long run?

DryvBy

On paper it looks better than the 480. Most likely marginally better performance, lower power consumption, and better overclocking.

Have to wait for the benchmarks to be sure though.

Well, AMD has one thing that is super annoying and that's their driver support compared to nVidia. If it boils down to AMD vs nVidia at the same price, be smart and always go nVidia.

Ptaaty

I am not a GPU expert - so I don't understand how the RX 480 easily bests the GTX 1060 in TFLOPS and memory bandwidth....yet many folks project better performance from the 1060.

Are the drivers just that much better? It is that the RX 480 will be better for DX12?

The 1060 is a very interesting proposition for me...I was all set to get an RX 480 once AIBs come out. I am sitting on a 7870 and it is killing me! I am slightly cheering for team red because parity is much better for consumers and an open standard like freesync is also desired.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Cool. Sounds like this would be a great card for anyone only interested in 1920x1080 gaming rather than 4k/VR going forward.

A shame that UK price will probably be like £230, or perhaps even £250.

that will put it at the same price or lower than the RX 480 8GB. if nvidia release it at £230-250 and it indeed performs better than the 480 then it'll be AMD that loses.

mdzapeer

Hurrah for Competition, Hooray for AMD...or not. Where is the competition on the high end GPUs and CPUs AMD!? 1700$ CPU from Intel now.

martino

I am not a GPU expert - so I don't understand how the RX 480 easily bests the GTX 1060 in TFLOPS and memory bandwidth....yet many folks project better performance from the 1060.

Are the drivers just that much better? It is that the RX 480 will be better for DX12?

The 1060 is a very interesting proposition for me...I was all set to get an RX 480 once AIBs come out. I am sitting on a 7870 and it is killing me! I am slightly cheering for team red because parity is much better for consumers and an open standard like freesync is also desired.

it's pirelli.

I bought my GTX 960 a year ago, is this a considerable upgrade to that if all I really want is to play games at 1080p with high/max settings at 30fps?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm still using a 760. A $250 1060 is very attractive, I may have to get on that.

~Cross~

Why hello, potential new card.

How does this stack up against the 480?

Roughly the same price if you compare it to the 8GB version. Less ram more performance and probably better overclocking. To me the answer is clear, the 1060 is a better card and its priced to be a killshot against AMD, same as the 980ti was at the time.

This card will run 1080p games without breaking a sweat and will last you a fair bit.

Why the hell would you have a founder's version of a card that's supposed to compete with the RX 480, a card that's cheap, already out, and plentiful?

Really dumb move.

I've got a gtx 570 still, should I grab this or a 1070? I like playing mostly at high frame rate. Multiplayer stuff. I can only play the new doom at everything on low for about 45 fps.

Crackbone

Save that for when the street price of the 1060 drops below $300 however many months from now.
Availability is always a question and as such gouging but this is undoubtedly a mid range card. Therefore one would hope they have supply as referenced by a simultaneous launch and one that sticks to msrp.

DieH@rd

Banned
Again, price/performance ratio will be totally fucked for us in EU. 1070 MSRP for US is $380, and for Europe starting price is 430€ [but in my territory, the cheapest I saw was MSI Aero for 495€].

That $250 in US will turn into MSRP of 280-290€ in EU, with retailers raising that price for another 30-50€ easily during first few months. I totally expect this card to cost 350€ around me.

dr_rus

MSI Gaming X pics: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X pictured

03-MSI-GTX-1060-Gaming-X-Front-900x482.jpg

Isn't that more than enough for 1080p? I can't imagine 1440/4K players buying a 1060.

It is quite enough even for 1440p at the moment. But who knows how it'll do in a couple of years.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Isn't that more than enough for 1080p? I can't imagine 1440/4K players buying a 1060.

yeah 6gb is fine for 1080p. 4GB is actually still OK but 6GB is nice going forward. 1440p or above 8GB is better suited.

I bought a r9 290 a year ago. I play in 1080p. Would this be a good card to grab?

well the 1060 will be aimed at 1080p and maybe some 1440p. it will do just fine at 1080p. the 1070 is more of a 1440p card and the 1080 is 4k 30fps. not quite enough for 4k 60fps but maybe the 1080 ti/titan will aim for that.

MuchoMalo

Banned
$250 is a good price, but how long will it take to get there?

Day one. The FE is being treated as a limited edition this time and is only sold by Nvidia directly. They want to murder the RX 480, so the MSRP is 100% truth this time. The only question is stock.

DryvBy

Their driver support has been perfectly fine in the latest years.

How long has this changed? I switched from them about 3 years ago with a decade of ATI cards. The games would run fine but I always had weird issues with IQ and then overscan problems with HDMI.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Is this and a i5 6600k cpu enough to run games at 1080p and 60fps at max settings?

ISee

Pascal and Maxwell seem to be comparable in their performance per clock ratio.
So let's talk TFlops, because it's the new hype thing to do, and because it tells us nearly nothing about real world performance. And most probably I'm doing it wrong anyway.

Reference:
GTX 1060 ~ 4.35 TFlops
GTX 980 ~ 4.98 TFlops
GTX 970 ~ 3.92 TFlops

Overclocks on Custom Designs:
GTX 1060 (2000mhz*) ~ 5.12 TFlops
GTX 980 (1450mhz**) ~ 5.94 TFlops
GTX 970 (1450mhz**) ~ 4.83 TFlops

(*) Maybe doable on custom designs
(**) Doable on most 'good' custom designs

Overall I don't think the 1060 will be a reasonable upgrade for 970/980 owners. But we have to wait for real world benchmarks, as always.

I'm loving this new trend of affordable GPUs that don't suck. I just might have to buy this one.

I do too. This is a great thing for PC gaming, as well as the whole industry. The performance barrier to VR is easier than ever to hit.

With these GPU's, we may start getting to a point where it's easy to build a $500 PC that can play every game without breaking a sweat and is relatively future proofed.

Oxn

I dunno why nvidia dont just say, GTX 1060 for only $50!!!!!!!!! But founders edition is $300.

That will get alot of responses like, "i can afford that!!!!"

Ty4on

They have different things they excel at. If you have a task that needs a lot of flops then the AMD card will perform better, but in other areas the Nvidia GPUs are better.

Memory bandwidth I think is mainly compression and cache. Both have clever compression, but Nvidia were first and have been ahead in the past. Maxwell was much better with inferior memory bandwidth because of its new compression algorithm and bigger cache.

It's very geeky, but this podcast goes into the details of why the Fury X didn't perform as well as the specs suggested in games. Their conclusion (IIRC) is that they made a DX12 card in the DX11 era.
http://techreport.com/review/28552/the-tr-podcast-179-radeon-r9-fury-x-tested-dissected

thenexus6

GTX 950 owner, was thinking of getting the RX 480, I think i'll just get the 1060 instead. Lets see what bench marks and UK price are going to be like.

Now this is the price point. I can't wait to upgrade from my 650 to the 1060. It should make running at native res (2560x1440) possible.

Top Bottom