• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeForce GTX 1060 announced - July 19, 6GB, $249 MSRP/$299 Founder's

br3wnor

This chart shows relative GPU power levels. You'll get a great boost going from a 670 with the 1060 being at ~GTX 980 levels.

I've had my 670 since early 2013 and only recently have noticed a need to upgrade. Do you think this card will have a similar 3.5 year life span if I'm sticking to 1080p gaming and am happy with High Settings/decent performance?

I also have an i5 3570k, am I right in not having to worry about upgrading that for a few more years? Finally, am I ok sticking with 8GB of RAM for the foreseeable future?

Sorry for the newb questions, I just don't know how much of the need to start playing new games on medium settings is related purely to my GPU or if other upgrades need to happen as well.

PnCIa

They are really pulling of the FE crap again. I suppose this card will cost ~300+€ in europe when the 480 costs 270-280.

Cant wait for benchmarks though. Competition is good.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I am not a GPU expert - so I don't understand how the RX 480 easily bests the GTX 1060 in TFLOPS and memory bandwidth....yet many folks project better performance from the 1060.

Are the drivers just that much better? It is that the RX 480 will be better for DX12?
Supposedly Nvidia TFLOPS don't directly compare to AMD TFLOPS. And Nvidia has compression techniques that enable it to get more "bang for the buck" from its memory bandwidth.

Re. DX12, AMD got a better boost in DX12 games than Nvidia did last generation. Should be interesting to see how they compare this gen. Could be the case that 1060 wins in DX11 games and 480 wins in DX12. My bet is that 1060 will win across the board, but I would like to be surprised!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Is this and a i5 6600k cpu enough to run games at 1080p and 60fps at max settings?

probably not. my 1070 struggles to run GTA V at 1080p 60fps with everything at MAX. i mean with every single setting turned on and up full. that's the way PC games should be. ultra+ settings are there not for the hardware available at release but for hardware in a few years time.

that said the 6600K and 1060 should handle 1080p 60fps without too much trouble.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Is this and a i5 6600k cpu enough to run games at 1080p and 60fps at max settings?

probably not. my 1070 struggles to run GTA V at 1080p 60fps with everything at MAX. i mean with every single setting turned on and up full. that's the way PC games should be. ultra+ settings are there not for the hardware available at release but for hardware in a few years time.

that said the 6600K and 1060 should handle 1080p 60fps without too much trouble.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I am not a GPU expert - so I don't understand how the RX 480 easily bests the GTX 1060 in TFLOPS and memory bandwidth....yet many folks project better performance from the 1060.

Are the drivers just that much better? It is that the RX 480 will be better for DX12?

The 1060 is a very interesting proposition for me...I was all set to get an RX 480 once AIBs come out. I am sitting on a 7870 and it is killing me! I am slightly cheering for team red because parity is much better for consumers and an open standard like freesync is also desired.

You can't compare any of that (especially TFLOPS when talking about gaming) unless both GPUs are using the same architecture. It has nothing to do with drivers. FLOPS are just used for marketing for gaming cards; they only really matter for compute. The RX 480 should be the better card for certain GPGPU applications and some DX12 or AMD optimized games, but that's about it.

It sounds like FE cards won't be competing against custom cards, there will only be a limited run of FE cards sold through Nvidia's website (aka, not at retail).

I'll believe it when I see it. 1070 custom cards are FE price here, even after several weeks, some even more expensive.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
They are really pulling of the FE crap again. I suppose this card will cost ~300+€ in europe when the 480 costs 270-280.

FE will be direct from Nvidia only. Partner boards will all have their own cooling solutions and have $249 MSRP. Seems like a much better situation than 1070/1080

Bl@de

It's different this time. It's a Limited Edition only supplied by Nvdiia (unlike with the 1070/1080).

So partner cards could end up cheaper with the 1060.

Guess Who

Banned
I'll believe it when I see it. 1070 custom cards are FE price here, even after several weeks, some even more expensive.

I don't disagree - while they're handling the 1060's FE very differently (and in a much more limited way), it remains to be seen how that actually affects the pricing. I imagine it also depends on availability. If there's limited stock you'll probably see more price gouging than if they can actually meet demand.

03-MSI-GTX-1060-Gaming-X-Front.jpg

Not pretty enough.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

here in the UK the prices of the custom cards were way more than the reference FE cards. the FE's were about £400 and the ones from the likes of msi/evga etc were something like £430. it's getting a bit better now but still not too great. the reference cards are still generally about £20 cheaper.

Knowing Nvidias EU pricing 480 RX will probably remain as better entry card. 1070 GTX had MSRP of $380 in US. Cheapest 1070 GTX at the moment here in Finland is 488€....

Durante

Because on these architectures (and previous ones as well) the FPS/TFLOP and FPS/(GB/s) ratio is always in NV's favor.

Whether this is a result of hardware or driver differences (or both) is a point of contention, but not the fact that it is the case.

Engell

Founders card is only suppose to be available on nvidias own page/shop or something like that... pcper says they already have the MSI version on the way for testing and should be ready for the launch day review

Velkyn

Well shoot. Just pulled the trigger on a 480 that may take 2 weeks to get to my local store. (I'm in Canada)

I'm still using a 760. A $250 1060 is very attractive, I may have to get on that.

Same boat as you, but need it to actually be at the 250$ price point, not looking to go more than that, have an i7 4770k that is looking to be pushed and need a comparable GC to help it along.

Papacheeks

Banned
Again, price/performance ratio will be totally fucked for us in EU. 1070 MSRP for US is $380, and for Europe starting price is 430€ [but in my territory, the cheapest I saw was MSI Aero for 495€].

That $250 in US will turn into MSRP of 280-290€ in EU, with retailers raising that price for another 30-50€ easily during first few months. I totally expect this card to cost 350€ around me.

Problem is no one stuck with the MSRP or even close to it for the 1080/1070. Most cards were way over priced, and no one foresaw all the aib's having their own FE editions come out first to price gouge.

AMD stuck to their MSRP pretty damn closely. $199 for 4 gb and 240$- and up depending on clocks for 8gb.

In US anyway.

jambo

I was totally ready to move away from NVIDIA for the first time in about a decade, but this 1060 may have brought me back over.

Was thinking OC 480 or 390x, but with this thing hitting 980 levels and having 6GB of RAM it might be the sweet spot.

dr_rus

Day one. The FE is being treated as a limited edition this time and is only sold by Nvidia directly. They want to murder the RX 480, so the MSRP is 100% truth this time. The only question is stock.

Eh, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Even as a "limited run" FEs will still likely be the first cards on the market and even if there will be some AIB editions for preorder on the same day they are likely to be OC ones priced similarly to FEs level.

Don't forget that the launch was pulled forward by more than a month compared to what they've planned. This is likely mean that most AIBs aren't ready with their custom versions yet and they won't be available on 19th - at least widely.

Pascal and Maxwell seem to be comparable in their performance per clock ratio.
So let's talk TFlops, because it's the new hype thing to do, and because it tells us nearly nothing about real world performance. And most probably I'm doing it wrong anyway.

Reference:
GTX 1060 ~ 4.35 TFlops
GTX 980 ~ 4.98 TFlops
GTX 970 ~ 3.92 TFlops

Overclocks on Custom Designs:
GTX 1060 (2000mhz*) ~ 5.12 TFlops
GTX 980 (1450mhz**) ~ 5.94 TFlops
GTX 970 (1450mhz**) ~ 4.83 TFlops

(*) Maybe doable on custom designs
(**) Doable on most 'good' custom designs

Overall I don't think the 1060 will be a reasonable upgrade for 970/980 owners. But we have to wait for real world benchmarks, as always.

1070 is a 6.46TF card which is in general faster than Titan X which is 6.69TF card.
1060 is a 4.35TF card which will in general be on the same level as 980 which is 4.98TF card.
Pascal isn't comparable to Maxwell in pure flops, the efficiency is up again.

But you're of course correct in saying that 1060 isn't a worthy upgrade for 970 and 980 owners. Hence why it's 1060 - it's supposed to be a solid upgrade for the owners of 960 cards and anything below them.

Who is going to buy a $240 RX 480 when this outperforms it and only costs $10 more? (though the prices will certainly be higher than MSRP for a while).

Seems like the 4 GB RX 480 is the real value card now if your budget is absolutely no more than $200.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Who is going to buy a $240 RX 480 when this outperforms it and only costs $10 more? (though the prices will certainly be higher than MSRP for a while).

Seems like the 4 GB RX 480 is the real value card now if your budget is absolutely no more than $200.

Exactly..

The situation is more like

4GB/~GTX970+ performance for $200-$250
or
6GB/~GTX980 performance for $250-$300

You get a choice for your budget, which is always ideal-- a good card for a lower budget, a better card for a bigger budget.

(adding $50 to the MSRP to account for AIBs since those are prefereable to the ref cards)

also this assumes 1060s will actually be available for $250 which I doubt.

Sinistral

Oh man not this FE crap again. 1070s and 1080s still CAN NOT be found for anywhere near their MSRP. Even the third party ones. Even some of them are being gouged above the FE pricing. Everyone thinks they're good cards based on the MSRP... and they WOULD BE but you can't buy it at the MSRP. The supply is not there. nVidia has people believing good perf/$ based on a non-existent retail MSRP.

I expect the 1060 to follow suit. $250 might be a good deal if it delivers on the promised performance, sad there are no review site benchmarks. This move is directly to throw shade on the RX 480. But good luck finding any version below $299. I'd be glad to be proven wrong. But with this "announcement launch" rumored to be pushed up a month ahead, but still a 2 week wait for retail, and supply problems on the bigger cards... we'll see.

Looks like the real battle will be AIB RX480s and FE 1060s.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
If Nvidia is launching FEs at $300 and AIBs are being suggested a $250 price, then we can assume $270-$300 for AIBs since they normally take the MSRP and add a premium for their superior coolers/designs right?

Essentially $250 is never going to happen, realistically?

demigod

Told you guys nvidia had 1060 to compete with the rx480. Meanwhile AMD has nothing to compete against the 1070 and 1080. They chased the wrong crowd. The only big question is if cards will actually come out at $249.

Guess Who

Banned
If Nvidia is launching FEs at $300 and AIBs are being suggested a $250 price, then we can assume $270-$300 for AIBs since they normally take the MSRP and add a premium for their superior coolers/designs right?

Essentially $250 is never going to happen, realistically?

There will probably be some lower-end AIBs for $250 with cheap single-fan coolers, just like the 950/960 have. But the ones you actually want with good coolers and factory OCs will probably be $270-$300, yeah.

Fitts

Seeing as I'm likely sticking with 1080p until my 65" plasma dies, I probably would've been better served waiting for this rather than jumping on a 1070. Ah well... No ragrets.

z0m3le

Banned
The GTX 980 is about 4.6TFLOPs, the GTX 1070 is 6.5TFLOPs and this 1060 card is boasting just 4.35TFLOPs. I'm not sure it's performance will live up to the GTX 980, maybe if you overclock it.

Papacheeks

Banned
Told you guys nvidia had 1060 to compete with the rx480. Meanwhile AMD has nothing to compete against the 1070 and 1080. They chased the wrong crowd. The only big question is if cards will actually come out at $249.

I'm sorry, does AMD have to release everything in the same fashion as their competition?

Their high end cards are coming, just that from what we know they are possibly using HBM2 so that shit takes time.

thenameDS

Really interested to see the UK pricing of these in the UK at release. Budget low end cards are finally getting exciting.

RootCause

Get me a custom cooler one at $250 and I'll bite. Otherwise, it's about a $40 more.

Mrbob

Poor AMD. All that hoopla with the 480 and going to get crushed again.

Sigh, id like to see a more even marketshare.

LordOfChaos

I'm liking this, looks like there's no rumored 3GB version to fill in the 250 dollar slot, and 250 dollars itself isn't too bad of a premium over the RX 480. Some were thinking Nvidia could get away with even 300, at least for the 6GB model.

Yay for market competition, think what it would be if no RX 480 launched. Though for AMDs sake, I hope the 480 still sells well, but I myself would be tempted to the 1060 instead.

E-Cat

Well the early leaked benchmarks have it being pretty much exactly a GTX 980 in performance, so it should be generally faster than a 480 at stock which is closer to a GTX 970.
Damn, AMD really fucked up. We need Vega ASAP, and it needs to be good. Doubt either of those happening, unfortunately.

Top Bottom