• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley will be responding to Doritosgate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

Oh my gosh Geoff, it has already been at least 6 work hours without the VGAs hanging over your head. Respond damn you!

He was really the most uninteresting part of the whole issue. He's been a pitch man for a long time.

FStop7

Banned
That article starts off with calling Geoff a "games journalist", when that hasn't even been anything close to his role in the industry for at least 10 years. He's a media personality and presenter, it's unfair to Geoff to lump him in as a "journalist" and it has happened so many times during this "scandal" that it's probably a worse offense by the writers for calling him that than it was for him to have a screenshot taken sitting next to Doritos and Mtn Dew.

ib0i5xUA1JT4Hg.jpg

Lancehead

and why does he has to justify himself to a closed community that always turns on him even before this incident?

He doesn't have to. This thread exists because he said he had "a lot" to say. In the doritos megathread, he part wasn't much discussed at all because most knew that that was just a catalyst.

Axspell

Neo Member
Apologies for the bump, but did Geoff ever actually make good on this? I haven't seen anything since he said he'd be responding.

Mononoke

Banned
Geoff pretty much says it all. He (and the people that ran this show) wanted it to expand beyond the gaming audience. That they like having people like Joel McHale, because it broadens the industry beyond its current scope. This time it just happened to bite them in the ass, as it didn't go as well. I mean shit, Geoff pretty much says "Well, we could just have like Me + Sessler, or Angry Joe. But that would just be the industry taking to itself".

Lol

So it's hard to feel too much sympathy for how bad the VGX went down.

Codeblue

His part about advertisement and gaming I agree with, the part about VGX not so much.

Disagree with the advertisement bit. He totally missed the point.

They're missing the point of the whole Doritos thing. It would have all been fairly harmless if there wasn't a giant Halo cut out in the background, the tired stereotypes that come along with Doritos and Dew were just the icing.

I don't care if Taco Bell sponsors the NFL because I'm not counting on the NFL to tell me which Tacos will give me diarrhea.

He says something like "We don't want any outside forces pushing on our hobby" or something like that which shows that he is totally and completely misunderstanding why anybody was mad. No one cares if you're shilling for Mountain Dew, but people do care when you're shilling for something you're claiming to give us an honest opinion on.

This was about conflict of interest, not about gamers being totally against any form of advertisement.

Geoff pretty much says it all. He (and the people that ran this show) wanted it to expand beyond the gaming audience. That they like having people like Joel McHale, because it broadens the industry beyond its current scope. This time it just happened to bite them in the ass, as it didn't go as well. I mean shit, Geoff pretty much says "Well, we could just have like Me + Sessler, or Angry Joe. But that would just be the industry taking to itself".

Lol

So it's hard to feel too much sympathy for how bad the VGX went down.
So I take it those two have made up then? Unless he said that jokingly, I'm only 20 minutes into this.

Laconic

Banned
Somewhere, out there, Geoff stands in silence, a flower in his hand. Concurrently, somewhere else, a lone fan suddenly exclaims "Ah!"

EDIT: And I am late. lol

Mononoke

Banned
So I take it those two have made up then? Unless he said that jokingly, I'm only 20 minutes into this.

I should have made my post a little bit more clear. I don't think Geoff was happy with Joel, personally. But my point was, they COULD have made a more serious award show, and chose not to make one. They wanted to take a gamble by having a comedian/celebrity, because it brings the industry to a larger audience. So it's hard for me to feel any sympathy for the show falling apart, because clearly this was their decision to do all these things that didn't work - because they want the game industry to make inroads with other industries. (For example, he defends the Loiter Squad segment because it expanded their audience and exposure to BET covering it).

Geoff isn't very vocal on this podcast about how he felt about Joel, personally. But does defend him slightly. He also acknowledges that a lot of people felt that he was disinterested. Although he does say that after the cameras were rolling, Joel talked to Geoff on the side about how he loved Borderlands 1 and 2, and really enjoys co-op.

He also said: "I don't think he intended to show disservice. The things people didnt see, was him on preview monitors watching Titan Fall and saying "wow, that's amazing" and things like that. (He's talking about how Joel was interested between on camera takes). Also he joked that him and Joel follow each other now on twitter lol.

Geoff also says he watched Angry Joe's video, and said it was really great feedback.

Really good podcast, never had a problem with Geoff. That said, one thing bugs me about his approach to gaming - and that's his need to "expose gaming to a wider audience"

I kinda don't know why we need to? I feel like gaming, even the time he started (With Sierra titles, which I also played) did well enough on their own. As did Nintendo, Sega, LucasArts and everyone who operated at the time.

if anything, the broader audience had diluted everything from game mechanics to being sold a full game for 60 bucks a month.

The same goes for his reasoning for bringing in Joel McHale or those guys during the GTA concert, his mentality is to introduce the audience to new things. But why? To what end? He never gives a good answer for this, other than he wants to see gaming grow. I ask him: isn't it big enough? if anythjng, we've seen lots of arguments lately for why it should be smaller.

Briarios

In my opinion, Geoff isn't a journalist ... he should just say he isn't one, and then the Doritos thing is no big deal. He's a host ... there is nothing wrong with that. Hosts get paid big money, and -- regardless of what the uninformed think -- it isn't an easy job. Dick Clark and Ryan Seacrest made empires from the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom