• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley will be responding to Doritosgate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean

Banned
Geoff didn't really do anything wrong. Dude was filming a piece on Halo 4 and there was Mountain Dew and Dorito's (sponsor) on the table behind him. Big deal.

Doesn't seem any different than ___ pizza chain being a 'proud sponsor of the NFL' or UFC being 'brought to you by Corn Nuts' or the judges of X-Factor drinking pepsi products or whatever. This happens literally everywhere.

The picture and photoshops were funny, but what he did was harmless. No reason to explain or respond to anything.

Geoff didn't really do anything wrong. Dude was filming a piece on Halo 4 and there was Mountain Dew and Dorito's (sponsor) on the table behind him. Big deal.

Doesn't seem any different than ___ pizza chain being a 'proud sponsor of the NFL' or UFC being 'brought to you by Corn Nuts' or the judges of X-Factor drinking pepsi products or whatever. This happens literally everywhere.

The picture and photoshops were funny, but what he did was harmless. No reason to explain or respond to anything.

None of those analogies match up to this. None.

Nothing, he didn't do anything wrong, he shilled some MS Halo gamerfuel dorito bullshit, but that's his job. Games journalism is just his hobby, his job is being the Ryan Seacrest of video games.

He really shouldn't even say anything, no matter what he says people are going to turn it back on him.

Jesus Christ. No. This is not true. He is at the forefront of informing and educating about video games, including reviewing not only software but all other aspects of the industry. He should not ever be in the pocket of a company and the fact people are okay with it just goes to show how much a conniving little worm he's managed to make of himself.

BlackJace

Nothing. A game jounalist tried to be high-and-mighty and made a glorified complaint about videogame marketing, implying others of being shills (Geoff included). Then he caused a Twitter war on some inconsequential industry insider.

I hope these non-shill gamers never talk about Halo 4 or Tomb Raider ever. No need to be tobias.

Joke post?

Moofers

PopeKeighley.jpg

Total slashjob, I know, but I've got a pizza coming out of the oven and the Ms. wants to watch Walking Dead. Later, GAF!

MormaPope

Banned
How so? The only people that got their neck beard in a bunch ARE forum nerds. And really, who gives a shit about them?

Whether or not you think Dortiosgate is an issue is based on personal opinion. But why defend Keighley by insulting the people that give a shit for one reason or another? You're judging people and labeling them based on how they feel about one subject.

So if you don't give a shit about this that means you have more noble, valuable thoughts and priorities?

I get making fun of it, but I seriously do not give a shit. Fact is, this "journalism" industry does not generate ANY revenue outside of the industry that it is covering, and it can't, because as soon as any non-industry resource covers our sacred cow we lose our collective shits when they don't "get" games like we do. Cue the ridiculous gaf response to that WSJ article reviewing CoD:MW3 or whatever it was, and everybody got so indignant and offended that the reviewer thought that the CoD games were tops.

Geoff surrounded by doritos are our own fucking faults. ANd let's just be thankful that it's goddam doritos and mountain dew, mainstays of videogame advertising, instead of Master Chief or Mario.

We're all a fucking joke, at least Geoff Keighley is making a living at it.

vidcons

Banned
Geoff will never live this down. The scandal will follow him to the grave.

It'll read "Doritosgate" upon his Tombstone™ pizza.

Oersted

Watch the interview. It wasn´t just pathetic sponsoring. Geoff Keighley did an ad, while acting like he is still in his game journo job.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but Keighly's hands are clean on this one, no? He just happened to be the focus of a hilarious meme that later erupted but otherwise not involved, no?

BlackJace

He shouldn't. Gamers are stupid for thinking there is anything unethical or wrong about advertising, or that it compromises anyone's integrity.

So you don't have an issue when a site that throws a AAA title's advertising all around their site? You don't get suspicious when said AAA title gets glowing reviews from that site even with obvious flaws?

You don't find it wrong that a journalist found nothing wrong with advertising a game she has no intention of playing just to win free stuff?

You don't find it wrong that PR firms from big publishers attempt to bribe journalists with lavish "business" trips, "press kits" and what not?

Meelow

Banned
Drtre from Youtube asked him if he thinks if GTAV will come to Wii U and if he knows anything about it and Geoff replied with "Why would you want to play it on Wii U when you could play it on the PS3/360?"

I lost a respect for Geoff when he said that.

jwhit28

So you don't have an issue when a site that throws a AAA title's advertising all around their site? You don't get suspicious when said AAA title gets glowing reviews even with obvious flaws?

Don't trust them in the first place. They aren't some encyclopedic source for game quality and comparison. It's entertainment. Gaming sites shouldn't be taken any more seriously than a TV Guide.

Regular for a new Doritos Pope being elected, Code Red for no decision?

Good.

In all honesty I have no beef with Geoff having his own marketing deal with Doritos. He isnt a reviewer and famous people have these kind of deals all the time. I see it no different then a morning talk show host or actor getting paid to say they like a phone or deodorant or something. Yeah its kind of lame but whatever I dont look at those people for buying advice anyway and I dont look at Geoff and GTTV for honest buying advice.

Its cool to get his honest opinion it though since he is a pretty smart guy and 95% of the fallout had nothing to do with him, he was just unlucky being the straw that broke the camels back.

Who knew one funny jpeg would cause such a mess?

That's just the thing though, we see the problems of mixing criticism or reporting upon video games and shilling for them, but alot don't. He's famous (as games journos go), and is erudite and well-spoken. Other game-players who are FAR less learned than us about such matters (see so many Gaffers in this thread who didn't notice that brouhaha thread), can start mixing the two, Geoff the Pitchman and Geoff the Reporter. He's not really too bad, but as That Thread has shown us, others ain't so clean...

Then there's the whole thing of these antics losing them the respect of the informed, which puts an even larger percentage of the audience for their serious pieces at "risk" of any collusion.

Agreed, well said. People are making a big deal out of nothing. This all boils down to is reviews. That's why reviews need to stop. Just play the game. Stop worrying about reviews, who sponsors what, how much a game or console sells. Who cares. Just play games and enjoy them with your friends.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The individuals aren't as important as the real core issues...

People who are "influences," particularly those whose living is made by reporting on a consumer industry, should or should not be receiving financial incentive by those invested in that industry.

In this case, a journalist is a paid consultant for a cpg company who leverages the industry that he is a journalist in.

This happens in all forms of entertainment, someone just got called out and it stirred a hornets nest. He's no more individually guilty than anyone else; but the debate is real enough, depending on what you personally believe is 'acceptable.' It's not like it's against the law. It's a grey area, hence the vocality. (is that a word? should be).

MisterHero

Joke post?
No. Here's a joke post:

What Geoff Keighley, or anyone, has to say on Halo 4 is of utmost importance. Vague criticisms drawn from his previews of the game will suddenly convince people to buy or not to buy Halo 4. His opinions are owned and manufactured by Doritos and Mountain Dew, so he can never say anything bad about a game that is to be released.

It is in the public interest that the Ryan Seacrest of gaming is not owned by Doritos and Mountain Dew. Moreso, gamers such as yourself should take up arms against writers that Rab Florence didn't have the guts to call out by himself.

#OCCUPYGAMETRAILERS

No. Here's a joke post:

What Geoff Keighley, or anyone, has to say on Halo 4 is of utmost importance. Vague criticisms drawn from his previews of the game will suddenly convince people to buy or not to buy Halo 4. His opinions are owned and manufactured by Doritos and Mountain Dew, so he can never say anything bad about a game that is to be released.

It is in the public interest that the Ryan Seacrest of gaming is not owned by Doritos and Mountain Dew.

OCCUPY GAMETRAILERS

Classic, thank you

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Why are you guys responding to lethial? Being condescending is his schtick.

jwhit28

The individuals aren't as important as the real core issues...

People who are "influences," particularly those whose living is made by reporting on a particular industry, should or should not be receiving financial incentive by those invested in that industry.

In this case, a journalist is a paid consultant for a cpg company who leverages the industry that he is a journalist in.

This happens in all forms of entertainment, someone just got called out and it stirred a hornets nest. He's no more individually guilty than anyone else; but the debate is real enough, depending on what you personally believe is 'acceptable.' It's not like it's against the law.

Then stop calling them journalists. They aren't investigative reporters looking for the straight facts, they are video game fans that get early access and paid for THEIR opinions.

Don't trust them in the first place. They aren't some encyclopedic source for game quality and comparison. It's entertainment. Gaming sites shouldn't be taken any more seriously than a TV Guide.

But it's not that simple. Game websites review software which are then applied to MetaCritic scores. Often times games being developed are often contracted by publishers to reach a certain benchmark score. If these scores can be manipulated or even justify a team being shut down, isn't it wrong to ignore backwards ass ways of influencing the score?

BlackJace

No. Here's a joke post:

It is in the public interest that the Ryan Seacrest of gaming is not owned by Doritos and Mountain Dew.

OCCUPY GAMETRAILERS

Yes GAF is going a bit off the end with the teasing, but you have to realize how absolutely disturbing that picture was, and what it speaks about the people who are "supposed" to bring us fair and unbiased reporting on our favorite hobby.

Geoff should tell everyone to fuck off in a video while eating doritos. I honestly can't muster up any care. So there were sponsors. I don't know. I just don't see the mountain here, looks like another molehill to me. Some of the interesting stuff that came up AFTER this was legitimately worth hearing about, but this specifically, ehhh.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Then stop calling them journalists. They aren't investigative reporters looking for the straight facts, they are video game fans that get early access and paid for THEIR opinions.

I'm not. They call themselves journalists. Either way, they are influences, as they have an audience.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Whether or not you think Dortiosgate is an issue is based on personal opinion. But why defend Keighley by insulting the people that give a shit for one reason or another? You're judging people and labeling them based on how they feel about one subject.

So if you don't give a shit about this that means you have more noble, valuable thoughts and priorities?

I get making fun of it, but I seriously do not give a shit. Fact is, this "journalism" industry does not generate ANY revenue outside of the industry that it is covering, and it can't, because as soon as any non-industry resource covers our sacred cow we lose our collective shits when they don't "get" games like we do. Cue the ridiculous gaf response to that WSJ article reviewing CoD:MW3 or whatever it was, and everybody got so indignant and offended that the reviewer thought that the CoD games were tops.

Geoff surrounded by doritos are our own fucking faults. ANd let's just be thankful that it's goddam doritos and mountain dew, mainstays of videogame advertising, instead of Master Chief or Mario.

We're all a fucking joke, at least Geoff Keighley is making a living at it.

The Albatross said how I was getting at so I'll quote him if that's OK.

To those who are so offended by Keighley:

Encourage more mainstream journalists (ie, NYT, WSJ, WaPo, Fox News, MSNBC, etc) to cover your games instead of ripping them whenever they have an opinion that doesn't match the Gaf-videogame-elitist-theory.

Also:

Top10_ProductPlacement10.jpg

If Mountain Dew has such control over the gaming industry, MetaCritic scores, funding of videogames, etc., why hasn't there been a critically acclaimed Jet Moto game in 10+ years?

TEDDY BRUSCHI AND BILL BELICHIK MUST ANSWER FOR THIS GRIEVOUS PRODUCT PLACEMENT
At least that's fun. It'd be a little better if we watched replica Halo assault rifles shooting cans of dew and Warthogs driving over bags of chips, but only a bit. Placing Keighley between those two products just shouts that the man himself is nothing more than another product on display, once capable of talking points. On the same level and sharing the fine company of empty calorie junk food no less.

I still feel bad for him. His face haunts me.

MormaPope

Banned
499w.jpg

TEDDY BRUSCHI AND BILL BELICHIK MUST ANSWER FOR THIS GRIEVOUS PRODUCT PLACEMENT

Way off in left field analogy that doesn't make any sense.

Football players can't influence or endorse people to buy products with their opinions or words, they can be in Nike commercials and Deodorant commercials, but their opinions don't sway anyone, they can't for a ton of reasons.

One of them being you can't buy $60 of football based on a football player's opinions or reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom