• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German Federal Elections 2017 |OT| Electing the new leader of the free world

Pennywise

good lord...there are districts in the city I live in where the AfD got close to 30% as the biggest party.

but it's Saxony, so no surprise there...

fucking disgusting.

DPeTkmC.png

That's how it's looking here.

:x

oilvomer

BBC calling it a disaster for Merkel

'Disaster for Merkel'
Jenny Hill
BBC Berlin correspondent
This is a disastrous night for Mrs Merkel. She's managed to win but this is her worst-ever election result.

What we're seeing here is Mrs Merkel being punished for opening Germany's door to hundreds of thousands of migrants. Mrs Merkel's campaign team saw this coming very late.

She urged voters to mobilise. Perhaps what we're seeing is that didn't happen.

Realyn

Ok this is fucking kindergarten. i was hoping they'd act somewhat mature but it's just "We lost. You lost more". That shit is damn ridiculous.

Also great point about the SPD just now. "You say that a possible Jamaika would be a terrible terrible coalition. Meanwhile you don't even want to try to build a coalition and let this happen"

I don't blame the SPD for what they're doing, but Schulz is coming off SO bad right now.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Sadly, the success of the AfD was probably inevitable. I don't believe a society—even one as liberal as ours—can go though an event like the refugee crisis without an uprising of right-wing voices. It's in the nature of many people to react with skepticism, fear or worse emotions. There probably isn't much else that could have been done to prevent that. Maybe we could have done a better job in communicating the challenges that come with such a crisis, but we could have also ended up worse.

The goal will be to get the AfD out of the parliament by making them obsolete through measured, good policy-making. When their talking points run out of fuel, the party itself will disappear. The AfD has already disappeared once, when the Euro crisis lost its urgency. Most importantly, we have to try to detect the next potential refugee crisis earlier and better prepared. Because the seeds for new such crises exist.

Haunted

I cannot stand listening to that lying fuck from the AfD.

I'm German, I'm generally proud of my country. These people are a disgrace for Germany.

Valhelm

contribute something
Afd got over 20% in Eastern Germany and is the 2nd strongest party there now.

Clearly, Putin ordered his Stazi comrades to reactivate the informant network.

Think it has a lot more to do with this:

Screen-Shot-2014-10-31-at-06.20.43.png

Economic instability tends to enable far-right movements, especially when these movements can clearly (if totally dishonestly) pin problems such as unemployment outsiders like Muslim refugees. Factor in post-Soviet malaise and the older age of eastern Germans and their trend toward reaction isn't very surprising.

In some key ways the former East Germany resembles the former USSR a little more than the former West Germany. Is Alternative fur Deutschland really any different from Ukraine's Svoboda?

Venuspower

I do not think that CDU/CSU, Die Linke and Bündnis 90 will be able to form a new government. Since SPD does not want to form a coalition with CDU/CSU I guess we will have another election later his year.

In general I was not really surprised about the result.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Just got the news that the AfD became the second largest party in my (small) town. That sucks.

CSU: 37,6 Prozent (-13,6)
SPD: 14,5 Prozent (-4,8)
Grüne: 8,2 Prozent (+0,3)
FDP: 9 Prozent (+5,3)
AfD: 16,6 Prozent (+11,2)
Linke: 6,9 Prozent (+3)

ISee

I do not think that CDU/CSU, Die Linke and Bündnis 90 will be able to form a new government. Since SPD does not want to form a coalition with CDU/CSU I guess we will have another election later his year.

In general I was not really surprised about the result.

I think they will, because they have to. But only time will tell.

Anyone knows how long the parties have to form a goverment until we get new elections?

30 days from today.
At least that's the time limit they have to form a new government

Top Bottom