• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German police shot (and killed) 10 people in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I do.

Edit:

Wait wait, what? In the US, you can become a full blown police officer in 4 months? That's in-fucking-sane.
No wonder these guys are incompetent. Over here it's three years minimum with strict selection procedures.
No way. This can't be true. Please tell me that's not true...

Let's be real here.

American Police have a huge issue with criminals with guns. But they also have a huge problem where they approach every situation with a gun in hand. So many situations, even just the ones posted on GAF, that could easily be de-escalated or just handled without the police resorting to guns.

Probably at least half of police killings in USA are probably preventable if they did their job properly.

Well I think most cops in America see it as this:
When you have a hammer, every problem is a nail.

And that's terrible, because like you said, these situations could be handled better and no one would have to die.

But everyone here knows it's just more than having guns on cops. But that is a discussion for another thread.

Circinus

14 people shot by police in Belgium in 2014. (not necessarily killed, in 60% of the interventions, they used a non-lethal weapon)
27 in 2015.

Can't find statistics for the number of lethal shootings by police.

Population of 11.2 million people.

Hyun Sai

Wait wait, what? In the US, you can become a full blown police officer in 4 months? That's in-fucking-sane.
No wonder these guys are incompetent. Over here it's three years minimum with strict selection procedures.

Yeah, after a while of weekly nonsense last year I checked on this too because something was off.

Here police officers are fully prepared to put their lives at risk for the sake of others. That's the job.

Kuldar

I THINK we got 6 killed by the police in 2015 and 2 so far in 2016 in France.

Around 66 millions living in France and 9% immigrants (the latter stat from 2014).

Around 30 guns for 100 citizens.
Are terrorists killed included in these numbers?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
10 ? Thats a lot than i thought - but still quite good.

holygeesus

Banned
I think that's kind of the point...

Yes I know.

It's not the entire story of course - here in the UK there are millions of guns, both legally owned and on the black market, yet hardly any police killings, or gun-deaths in general.

Because:

a) Gun ownership is a privilege not a right. You have to provide a reason for owning one and (generally) they end up in the hands of sensible people (well...farmers mainly)

and

b) Our police are actually trained to deescalate rather than arrogantly believe their life is more important than the people they are serving.

There isn't a great mystery to these stats. They are pretty obviously explained.

Drakhyrr

645 people killed by the police in 2015, officially (real numbers should be way higher). In Rio de Janeiro state alone (population: 16 million).

You guys will be fine.

policeshootingsgraph.png

http://www.inquest.org.uk/statistics/fatal-police-shootings
Population ~56 million.

Pretty proud of our police's approach to firearms tbh.

Our police do a pretty damn good job for the most part. Not perfect, but I respect the work they do.

Especially given how criminally underfunded they are.

Pun intended.

theWB27

I do.

Edit:

I've been through the first part of it. Living in Indianapolis and it's about a good 4-6 months I think. But...at least in Indy...all I had to do was a small amount of push ups...sit ups and run a mile. Pass a test that requires NO studying of anything at all. After that you have an interview with 3 officers at a hotel. If you're selected you then go to academy and 6 months later....boom they hand you a badge and gun. (If I'm missing a step my fault.)

I just started college for IT and it takes two years. So....yea that's that.

OH...and the age limit is 36 I think.

Seeing all these stats on other countries... must be great living in a civilized society where police know how to de-esculate and aren't tirgger happy.

Someone, please save me.

Chuckie

Ahead of its time, really.

Word!

But seriously...I always thought the premise of PA was totally absurd. Like all kinds of 'losers' and wackos can join and after an absurd short while they are actually sent out on the streets.

Now I learn it wasn't actually that far from the truth :/

KonradLaw

Word!

But seriously...I always thought the premise of PA was totally absurd. Like all kinds of 'losers' and wackos can join and after an absurd short while they are actually sent out on the streets.

Now I learn it wasn't actually that far from the truth :/

Well...it's a low paid, yet dangerous as hell job. If they wouldn't set the barrier of entry low there would barely be any cops

I do.

Edit:

Just checked, it is 3 or 4 years in The Netherlands too, or 1.5 or 2 years to be an assistant police officer for more simple tasks, where you don't get any weapon.

DizzyCrow

From Amnestesy International

• 8,471 cases of killings by police officers on duty were registered in the State of Rio de Janeiro, including 5,132 in the city of Rio de Janeiro between 2005 and 2014.
• The number of killing by on-duty police officers registered as “resistance followed by death” in the city of Rio de Janeiro represents nearly 16% of the total number of homicides in the city for the last 5 years.
• When reviewing the status of all 220 investigations of police killings opened in 2011 in the city of Rio de Janeiro, Amnesty International found that after four years, only one case led to a police officer being charged. As of April 2015, 183 investigations were still open.

Bishop89

American police "What's a warning shot?"

I seriously don't want to know what US Stat is.. probably more in a month than the entire year of x country

Mimosa97

It's a common assertion by anti-immigration people but is there any evidence to support it?

In my country there's a far-right wing journalist/writer who keeps bringing up the example of Japan to prove that only multicultural societies have high levels of violence.

Dude is full of shit though.

USC-fan

Banned
Need to post how many officers are shot by guns in each nation.

Really comparing apples to oranges since most places don'thave real guns.

In Sweden we've had a rising trend of police shooting and killing. This year they've killed 3 people, a 33% increase from last year, during which only 2 were shot to death.
That's a 50% increase.

Anecdotal but I live in Sweden and I have high trust in the police here. Based on what I've read about the US I would be a bit on the edge if I saw a policeman there.

TalonJH

Just checked, it is 3 or 4 years in The Netherlands too, or 1.5 or 2 years to be an assistant police officer for more simple tasks, where you don't get any weapon.

Wait, It takes years to become a police officer in other countries. We really are doing it wrong. Jesus

petran79

Banned
In Greece official deaths are low but no one can tell what is going on in the land and sea borders with immigrants.

Also conditions in prisons are awful and things are very secretive there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom