• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GF and i just broke up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valnen

Oh hell yes, defend this game against every troll. Let them know that ME3 is a great game. This thread could be something much greater than it is right now. We can do this.

This is just a case of "stop liking what I don't!" as far as I'm concerned.

mjc

Happy/content break-ups are the best. You're not depressed about it at all, and suddenly you have all this freedom!

Mutual ones are pretty good. There's a bit of doubt and sadness but definitely not on the level of a one-sided dumping.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
iT9sneKR8MBom.gif

lol, is there a thread on this? I only saw the video via Twitter

Me and my girlfriend are fighting right now. She's great and I love her, but she got angry because I'm hesitant to get married. I just get tired of her shit sometimes and wonder if I can put up with her jekyl and hyde moodswings, her unreasonable reactions to my honesty (about important things like me saying I'm not ready to get married not stuff like "does this make m look fat"), her smothering and neediness (I have somewhere in the area of 10,000 txts a month almost all to her and she still complains I neglect her)... just a bunch of issues I'm not sure I can deal with for life. When things are good they're really good, but she describes her mother as bipolar and I'm starting to wonder if she is herself. Then again she's like the stereotypical television wife or girlfriend so I wonder if this is as good as it gets and trading her in for a new model would result in just more of the same.

You are living what I just got out of...

Broke with mine for the same kind of reason. I felt relieved and happy.

I feel so free right now.

Why put up with that shit for so long? Good sex or something?

Because you simply just don't call it quits. Girlfriends are not disposable. If you like the girl, you will try to make it work.

Trying to make something work with someone who by the sounds of it annoys you that bad seems like a fools errand.

mooooose

Why put up with that shit for so long? Good sex or something?
Because they are people you care about and you want to give the benefit of the doubt. And the bad is worth putting up with because you like them, and they like you. Most annoying stuff like that is just the opposite partner's insecurities.

Personally, I don't understand this trend of men refusing to want to commit to marrying their longterm partners, whom they admit to loving and being happy with - especially when they don't have an ideological opposition to marriage. I would very much like to understand, because it seems like a contradiction on the surface of things.

UFRA

Me and my girlfriend are fighting right now. She's great and I love her, but she got angry because I'm hesitant to get married. I just get tired of her shit sometimes and wonder if I can put up with her jekyl and hyde moodswings, her unreasonable reactions to my honesty (about important things like me saying I'm not ready to get married not stuff like "does this make m look fat"), her smothering and neediness (I have somewhere in the area of 10,000 txts a month almost all to her and she still complains I neglect her)... just a bunch of issues I'm not sure I can deal with for life. When things are good they're really good, but she describes her mother as bipolar and I'm starting to wonder if she is herself. Then again she's like the stereotypical television wife or girlfriend so I wonder if this is as good as it gets and trading her in for a new model would result in just more of the same.

Are you exaggerating or do you really send 10,000 texts???

My gf and I do anywhere around 600-1,000 per month, and I used to think that was a lot. It varies based on whats going on in our lives. But wow, 10k?

SolKane

Came in this thread to recommend "After the Gold Rush" but I'm gonna recommend "On the Beach" instead.

Personally, I don't understand this trend of men refusing to want to commit to marrying their longterm partners, whom they admit to loving and being happy with - especially when they don't have an ideological opposition to marriage. I would very much like to understand, because it seems like a contradiction on the surface of things.

Have you ever been in a relationship?

I also broke up recently from a really fucked up relationship. I am so happy now, I love being single. High five!
high five single bro!
These four sentences will be remembered for a long time.
Why?

One juxtaposition between mass effect 3 and real life is that I never wanted to cheat on Liara but I wanted to cheat a lot while with my ex. Guess that goes to show I wasn't really happy with her.

eastmen

Banned

marriage has a huge finality to it. I love my gf and do want to get married but my god thinking of all the stuff I would give up by moving to the next level scares the crap out of me.

Lets also not forget that if something went south its a lot easier to clean up a broken relationship and move on then it is to clean up a broken marriage and more on. The male side allways ends up getting the shaft when it comes to the courts.

marriage has a huge finality to it. I love my gf and do want to get married but my god thinking of all the stuff I would give up by moving to the next level scares the crap out of me.

Lets also not forget that if something went south its a lot easier to clean up a broken relationship and move on then it is to clean up a broken marriage and more on. The male side allways ends up getting the shaft when it comes to the courts.

This question of finality...and the risks of marriage...after you've been with someone for X amount of years, how many more years do you need to be comfortable enough to take that risk? Isn't every marriage decision a risk in itself? There is no way to ensure a successful marriage. Dating for years beforehand doesn't help either. And if you were ever going to get married, and thus take a risk, then is your partner worth that risk? That's what I'd be asking myself, but for many the status quo is good enough for them. That to me suggests a great lack of belief in the relationship.

I couldn't be with a woman I did not envisage/want to marry.

Dali

Are you exaggerating or do you really send 10,000 texts???

My gf and I do anywhere around 600-1,000 per month, and I used to think that was a lot. It varies based on whats going on in our lives. But wow, 10k?

Checking my metrics for the past year, since november 2011 I'm averaging over 7,000 a month. January, march and april I've got over 10,000 getting as high as 12,000+. Since July I haven't had less than 5,000 a month spiking up to 7,000+ the last month after accusations of me ignoring her.

Sometimes I just wonder to myself can I live my life with her? I guess I keep hoping she'll chill the fuck out, but then a year later she's just as needie.

eastmen

Banned
This question of finality...and the risks of marriage...after you've been with someone for X amount of years, how many more years do you need to be comfortable enough to take that risk? Isn't every marriage decision a risk in itself? There is no way to ensure a successful marriage. Dating for years beforehand doesn't help either. And if you were ever going to get married, and thus take a risk, then is your partner worth that risk? That's what I'd be asking myself, but for many the status quo is good enough for them. That to me suggests a great lack of belief in the relationship.

I couldn't be with a woman I did not envisage/want to marry.

hey , i'm saving up for a ring so i'm with you. I can just tell you what it looks like from this vantage point. I have a lot of friends and family going through nasty divorces and they were with their spouses for years before marriage. Some of its nasty and the stuff these women some of who I've known since I was a child are putting htem through and then the courts put them through is horrible.

Marriage just seems pointless. It isn't a finality. You can get divorced. They should change the minister's lines at wedding ceremonies to say "Until death do you part. Unless you change your mind. In which case do you go through a long, painful and expensive legal separation."

Think of it this way. Many of us have a "best friend" this person in your eyes is your absolute life-long best friend. He/she has certain privileges your other friends do not have. You are not compelled to go with your best friend to a civil office to make each other legally best friends, right? You just say you're best friends until something happens that causes you to no longer be best friends. Sexual relationships should be the same. You're simply together until you are not. If you end up being together forever, that's cool. If not, oh well.

Because they are people you care about and you want to give the benefit of the doubt. And the bad is worth putting up with because you like them, and they like you. Most annoying stuff like that is just the opposite partner's insecurities.

Honestly? If you find your partner annoying that says to me you don't like 'em as a person much. How would you spend the rest of your life with that person?

Dali

Honestly? If you find your partner annoying that says to me you don't like 'em as a person much. How would you spend the rest of your life with that person?
Because no one's perfect. I know I annoy her too. I can guarantee you the person you spend the rest of your life with will irk the fuck out of you at some point in time. That's just how it is. Relationships are work. The thing I'm asking myself is is this like one of those awesome jobs that you like smile when you tell people about it or is it like groan its none of your business what I do. Am I a disney animator working long hours on a labor of love or a postal worker that wants to shoot the place up every day?

I cannot believe that 10,000 text messages a month claim. That is 333 messages a day, which is about 19 messages an hour if you are up for 17 hours a day, which is nearly 1 message every 3 minutes. I refuse to believe you constantly keep in textual contact with anybody consistently on average of 1 text per 3 minutes straight. That is simply not feasible unless you have no job or hobbies and neither does she.

Because no one's perfect. I know I annoy her too. I can guarantee you the person you spend the rest of your life with will irk the fuck out of you at some point in time. That's just how it is. Relationships are work. The thing I'm asking myself is is this like one of those awesome jobs that you like smile when you tell people about it or is it like groan its none of your business what I do. Am I a disney animator working long hours on a labor of love or a postal worker that wants to shoot the place up every day?

Dude you're talking as someone who basically gets thousands of texts from your gf, you obviously can't stand it and yet here you are. Seriously.

Dali

I cannot believe that 10,000 text messages a month claim. That is 333 messages a day, which is about 19 messages an hour if you are up for 17 hours a day, which is nearly 1 message every 3 minutes. I refuse to believe you constantly keep in textual contact with anybody consistently on average of 1 text per 3 minutes straight. That is simply not feasible unless you have no job or hobbies and neither does she.
It was only 3 months it hit th 10000+ mark, but... yeah that sounds about right. I worked early and she'd want me to txt her to get her up so she could work out. So as early 4am to as late as 10pm usually with her waking me up and us txting somewhere in between because she has insomnia. Like I said that's dropped off a bit but its still up there and I def feel smothered. You ask anyone that knows me and my head is constantly in my phone.

Servbot24

Banned
I probably text my g/f once every two hours or so. That's plenty, it's not like exciting stuff is happening that I need to report.

It was only 3 months it hit th 10000+ mark, but... yeah that sounds about right. I worked early and she'd want me to txt her to get her up so she could work out. So as early 4am to as late as 10pm usually with her waking me up and us txting somewhere in between because she has insomnia. Like I said that's dropped off a bit but its still up there and I def feel smothered. You ask anyone that knows me and my head is constantly in my phone.
I still refuse to believe it. In. Reality it would be more than 1 message every 3 minutes since you obviously don't message each other while you are in each others presence.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Like I said that's dropped off a bit but its still up there and I def feel smothered. You ask anyone that knows me and my head is constantly in my phone.
Dali
This man has no penis thanks to The Galactic Bishounen AT&T

:p

FreeMufasa

I'm in a similar position. My gf wants to get married and have babies within the next year. I broke up with her yesterday because its not what I want now. I'm 22 and she's almost 10 years older than me. I know it's gonna be at least another 10 years before I want that and that's unfair on her. She tried saying it doesn't matter but I know she want it. She's coming over to mine after work so we can sort it out.

Dali

Dude you're talking as someone who basically gets thousands of texts from your gf, you obviously can't stand it and yet here you are. Seriously.
I have mixed feelings about it, actually. Sometimes I just wish I could have the day to myself. Like actually focus on work while at work, have time inside my own head, have some sort of solitude. Other times it doesn't bother me at all. We split for a short while and I felt the void. So as much as I complain, I still enjoy the contact at least on some level. I wouldn't be with her all this time if it was THAT terrible. At the same time, its a bit extreme and it needs to be moderated which I was hoping would work itself out. This has met with some resistance as I detailed.

Dali

I still refuse to believe it. In. Reality it would be more than 1 message every 3 minutes since you obviously don't message each other while you are in each others presence.
Umm... ok. Ill try to post a screen cap of my sprint usage at my earliest convenience. I'm travelling right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom