• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GFW Radio (97.5 - The Brodeo) 08/20/08

I thought that this show was one of the best shows they had in a while. I love it when the show doesn't feel scripted, like they planned it out. I like it when it feels like they just go with the flow, things seem much more relaxed, and because of that they seem like they are alot funnier. They can tell stories and jokes in between talking about games. Great jobs guys

Chufmoney said:
GFW is a place for fun times. I dont know that a summary of the chuf love story arc would fit in. It might just be sad and out of place.

aww come on man now we gotta know. Did she insult yaddle too?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
LCfiner said:
"And what do you think of this, Anthony?"

nice way to finally break the joke for those who may have still thought it was real :)

The more I listen to that original Anthony monologue, the more i can hear his voice cracking at the script. :lol :lol

If it wasn't for the primordial midget line, you may have lured a few more people

When you hear skip laughing in the background as soon as chuff starts talking about the hot female race, you know its gotta be full of shit.

eznark

Banned
Chufmoney said:
Nothing bad to say about the girl. Things just dont always work out between folks. I'll talk with the others and see if we think a final chuf love would be good.

you should take this into the OT. They always have kind and uplifting words for failed love stories.

Xrenity

Haha, awesome start :lol
I actually believed it was real there.

And Shawn's such an ass for letting everyone eat that candy and barely taking any himself :p

eznark

Banned
Xrenity said:
Haha, awesome start :lol
I actually believed it was real there.

And Shawn's such an ass for letting everyone eat that candy and barely taking any himself :p

I thought it was pretty funny they said they were trying to go for the Macho Man/Hulk split, as that was the exact vibe I was getting. A WWF style bro-opera. That means Jeff Green = Vince McMahon, right?

Barrett2

The Anthony explanation bit was funnier than I thought it would be, some of those PMs were priceless. Another good episode.

:lol at people not thinking Ryan was real! That was awesome..

Mash

deck said:
Sometimes I get the impression that Shawn is embarrassed about video game culture and the fact that he works at a gaming site

I think he secretly wishes he worked in an academic field of some sort...yet he works at 1up (which is not bad)

I remember him talking about going to graduate school or something like that

This might be the reason for his constant griefing and his sometimes pompous attitude

You could see it that way or you could see it as Shawn legitimizing video game journalism in various ways by experimenting and making it more self-conscious by noticing the seams. The griefing is just fun.

Danielsan

Absolutely loved this weeks brodeo. The Anthony bit was fantastic. Even though I pretty much knew it was a joke from that start I couldn't help but laugh at the entire thing. The execution gets a A+ from me. :D

Also Jeff's brief voice of fury "That game sucked!" was amazing. :lol
GFW once again proves to be the nr.1 podcast on the net.

Kayas

Neo Member
evlcookie said:
When you hear skip laughing in the background as soon as chuff starts talking about the hot female race, you know its gotta be full of shit.

Or the fact that you could hear Anthony's voice stuttering and trying to hold back nervous laughter as he said the whole thing.
Plus this is the type of stuff Shawn and his buddies make fun of all the time and have now made famous. Easily hero of the web basics, and the primordial midget stuff was just a stone dead give away.
Awesome stuff, I was hoping they would have kept it going old school WWF style. :D

But I tell you the person who would have sold me on it if it had not been revealed for another couple of days was Jeff Green. He really sounded pissed and very genuine about the whole thing. He really started to sell it.

Sanjay

Just great, Jeff was so funny, his fury and the boat stories was some classic stuff. Someone needs to take that audio out for use for future reference for games that suck.

"I'm not going to let him cut in, THE GAME SUCKED".:lol

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
That disgusting jelly candy sounds awesome, can you import them from some site?

And man, that "penny"-discussion, wow :lol

FartOfWar

Banned
voltron said:
Seriously anyone who thought that joke was anything but a joke needs pop a few more IQ pills. Chuff loves being on GFWR. Its pretty obvious listening to the show (I mean who wouldnt be stoked to be the Brodeo).

Shawn we need more heroes of the web & message board raps man. Seriously. Were you told to tone those down by the people up the ladder?
Nah. I actually had a hero of the web yesterday but held off because we already had plenty of zaniness. And Deck, I'll answer your question later.

adelante

madmook said:
Holy shit so much good in this episode.

*epic Jurassic Park music*
haha yea! I was really taken aback when shawn suddenly blurt out the jurassic park theme...so many good moments in this episode.

Bobito: "I downlo- ....haha i was gonna say I swallowed it and I said I downloaded it "bursts into hysterical laughter*"

JeffGreen(in whiney voice): "you nerd"

...and voltron's right, bobito always sound like he's on an eternal high or sumthin...wtf is he always smokin' before each podcast session?? :lol

FartOfWar

Banned
adelante said:
haha yea! I was really taken aback when shawn suddenly blurt out the jurassic park theme...so many good moments in this episode.

Bobito: "I downlo- ....haha i was gonna say I swallowed it and I said I downloaded it "bursts into hysterical laughter*"

JeffGreen(in whiney voice): "you nerd"

...and voltron's right, bobito always sound like he's on an eternal high or sumthin...wtf is he always smokin' before each podcast session?? :lol
He's called Max Chill for a reason. He isn't smoking shit, he's a Texan with Spicoli's genes is all. And to think he calls me Spicoli.

FartOfWar said:
He's called Max Chill for a reason. He isn't smoking shit, he's a Texan with Spicoli's genes is all. And to think he calls me Spicoli.

Yeah, I'm cursed with having grown up imitating California cool with a Texas drawl. Thanks Bill and Ted! Strangely, when I'm stoned, I sound like a college professor. That's where the PhD comes in.

Plus, Shawn, you totally are Spicoli.

farnham

Banned
FartOfWar said:
Nah. I actually had a hero of the web yesterday but held off because we already had plenty of zaniness. And Deck, I'll answer your question later.
you guys should have played that yaddle feud a little longer

it was fun for its own right.. its like wrestling

ridiculous feuds -> many many viewers/ listeners

FartOfWar

Banned
farnham said:
you guys should have played that yaddle feud a little longer

it was fun for its own right.. its like wrestling

ridiculous feuds -> many many viewers/ listeners
Pay attention. Me and Bobito are beginning to fight right now.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
This five man Brodeo team is perfect. Sean and Darren will be missed, but Chuf and Bobito are perfect replacements.

farnham

Banned
FartOfWar said:
Pay attention. Me and Bobito are beginning to fight right now.
OMG are bobitos complaints about your excessive greeting habits on the phone an indication..? :lol :lol :lol

Kayas

Neo Member
Bobitto, I forgot you were from Austin and my wife and I are thinking of moving to Austin in the next year or so. What do you think of the area?
Good move or no? (I live in Oregon right now)

dLMN8R

dLMN8R said:
Basically, just look at the top-selling games on Steam on the web site - every time Valve releases new content for TF2, sales for TF2 spike to take the top spot for a long time. Especially with the combination of new content + free weekends, it wouldn't be surprising at all if they easily make back whatever they spent on manpower developing the new content on each release.

Robert - Gabe Newell just confirmed a 20% sales spike every time they release new TF2 content:

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/08/21/gc08-one-on-one-with-valves-gabe-newell/

Kayas said:
Bobitto, I forgot you were from Austin and my wife and I are thinking of moving to Austin in the next year or so. What do you think of the area?
Good move or no? (I live in Oregon right now)

I love Austin. It's a pretty different place now than it was when I went to college there (I actually grew up near Dallas in a place called Grand Prairie). A boom in tech pushed out a lot of old, cool places (they turned Sound Exchange records into a fucking Baja Fresh and in the process nearly tore down the famous Daniel Johnson mural on the side of the building). But it still has plenty of neat places, and you can't beat the people. Texans make everyone else in the world look like rude assholes. And I would imagine that Austin wouldn't be worlds away from Oregon, culturally or politically.

LiK

McBacon said:
This five man Brodeo team is perfect. Sean and Darren will be missed, but Chuf and Bobito are perfect replacements.

yea, and Robert has always been great on the show. *thumbs up*

Kayas

Neo Member
Robert Ashley said:
I love Austin. It's a pretty different place now than it was when I went to college there (I actually grew up near Dallas in a place called Grand Prairie). A boom in tech pushed out a lot of old, cool places (they turned Sound Exchange records into a fucking Baja Fresh and in the process nearly tore down the famous Daniel Johnson mural on the side of the building). But it still has plenty of neat places, and you can't beat the people. Texans make everyone else in the world look like rude assholes. And I would imagine that Austin wouldn't be worlds away from Oregon, culturally or politically.

Thanks for the response, I have been trying to get a feel for what it's like and I didn't know anyone who had actually lived there. Plus with tech booming in Austin right now that would be a huge plus for me as I would be looking for tech jobs once I move there.

LiK

Opus Angelorum said:
The best Brodeo this year, and a classic for the archives.

Very, very funny. Shawn's laugh is infectious.

what?? better than last week's show?? i thought that show was the best one to date. man, i just started, gotta keep listening...

Robert Ashley said:

shoot cops, not heroin

SupahBlah

Banned
:lol

Loved it, the jellybean dare was hilarious.

Oh man, THIS GAME SUCKED I think I made everyone around me jump.

I remember the brodeo going on about Civilization: Revolution a couple a weeks back I enjoyed the game they really did it well for the consoles. But ended up breaking out Beyond the Sword. :lol

I forget how good it is and how addictive it is too.

LiK

hey Anthony, seriously?

yaddle.jpg

Xrenity

LiK said:
what?? better than last week's show?? i thought that show was the best one to date. man, i just started, gotta keep listening...
I gotta say, last three were absolutely awesome.

Last weeks moment where Shawn had to pause because he said 'I posted this on my twitter...' or something like it was hilarious. And there's lot's of these in one episode of Brodeo. Awesome.

YOU'VE BECOME THAT GUY SHAWN

LiK

Xrenity said:
I gotta say, last three were absolutely awesome.

Last weeks moment where Shawn had to pause because he said 'I posted this on my twitter...' or something like it was hilarious. And there's lot's of these in one episode of Brodeo. Awesome.

YOU'VE BECOME THAT GUY SHAWN

yea, and i love when the guys goofed on Shawn about it and he said "Fuck You!" :lol

hey Jeff, Space Siege sounds like GOTY material, lol

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
You know, this thing about episodic content is kinda cool. We see games like Sam & Max and HL2 get several episodes and stuff, but the thing is that there's like a year between the episodes (at least when it comes to the latter example) so I don't know if I really wanna call it "episodic content". Or maybe it is, but definitely not in the same way as TV-shows.

Either way; we've got games like Siren (which just came out) going for it almost head on, but doing one big thing wrong. They've got all those episodes and flashbacks and trailers for the upcoming episode -- but they released them all at the same fucking time. By doing that it's more like an ordinary full game and the purpose of episodic content gets lost, and the trailers/flashbacks are reduced to some unnecessary gimmicky thing.

What I'm trying to say, in a really clumsy way, is that it'll be cool when these kind of games are actually released like TV-episodes. Once or twice a week or something. Having the Lost/Heroes/The Wire/whatever kind of discussion but about a game, the upcoming plot twists (or game mechanics-twist?) and characters.

I don't know how this has anything to do with this thread per se, I just thought of that since I recently heard one of the GFW-podcasts discussing Lost.

That was a brilliant end to the Yaddle saga, "Previously, on 1UP FM..." and the Anthony reveal were great, and people thinking Ryan Scott was fake cracked me up. The game talk was also very good; the balance of serious/informative shit and hilarity was great this show. A+ work, 10/10, two thumbs up, etc. etc.

Flavius

You GFW guys are fucking up something serious...

The past few shows have been excellent. A little too excellent! I'm not quite sure how you're going to top them, but I can't wait to hear you try.

I was laughing so hard during the jellybean roulette that I was crying as I was driving through tropical storm force winds. Thanks for almost killing me!

deck

Neo Member
I think I was a little too rude in my original post(s). I'm just trying to understand where your coming from. It's weird...I both like and dislike you at the same time. No other podcaster (to use a specific medium) causes such mixed emotions with me. Either they are good or just whatever. Anyway you got something different...and GFW's popularity accounts for that.

Top Bottom