• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GFW Radio (97.5 - The Brodeo) 08/20/08

Flavius

deck said:
I think I was a little too rude in my original post(s). I'm just trying to understand where your coming from. It's weird...I both like and dislike you at the same time. No other podcaster (to use a specific medium) causes such mixed emotions with me. Either they are good or just whatever. Anyway you got something different...and GFW's popularity accounts for that.

Take us to Creep Factor 10, Mr. Sulu!

Aye, Captain!

just kidding!

not really!

FartOfWar

Banned
From EGM's mailbox (this is 100 percent real):
Dear EGM,

In reference to the Anthony Gallegos situation, I feel it is a complete detriment to the EGM/gaming community. Having two parties verbally bash each other about a misunderstanding on a podcast is a joke, I¹ve unsubscribed to other podcast for less. When a fellow gamer/dork is discriminated for his life¹s passion, you should have embraced and protected him. Instead you continued to oust him for it, like so many of those non-gamers, jocks, parents, girlfriends, or anyone else who demeanors someone for liking videogames. Us gamers have enough to worry about as it is. We aren¹t taken serious enough yet, and this is the kind of matter that Fox News, Jack Thompson, and any other party is looking for to ruin the gaming community. I know I¹m not the only one who feels that the 8/20/08 GFW podcast crew took it too far and seriously considered pressing stop on my zune. Neither party was justified to bring this into the publics view, but I feel that most viewers/readers would have preferred a sincere apology from GFW, not a parade of jokes and banter. While I love anything EGM, whether it is in a print, audio, or on-line form, this poor display has me second guessing where I choose to send my attention and dollars too, next time I want to read a story or listen to a podcast.

I pray not to see or hear this kind of ridicule ever again, for it surely will be the last time I visit your site, read your magazine, or listen to your podcast.

Sincerely,

xxxx xxxxx (name removed)

Also:
Robert's Stalker Clear Skies impressions @ http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3169522

Slo

FartOfWar said:
Dear EGM,

In reference to the Anthony Gallegos situation, I feel it is a complete detriment to the EGM/gaming community. Having two parties verbally bash each other about a misunderstanding on a podcast is a joke, I¹ve unsubscribed to other podcast for less. When a fellow gamer/dork is discriminated for his life¹s passion, you should have embraced and protected him. Instead you continued to oust him for it, like so many of those non-gamers, jocks, parents, girlfriends, or anyone else who demeanors someone for liking videogames. Us gamers have enough to worry about as it is. We aren¹t taken serious enough yet, and this is the kind of matter that Fox News, Jack Thompson, and any other party is looking for to ruin the gaming community. I know I¹m not the only one who feels that the 8/20/08 GFW podcast crew took it too far and seriously considered pressing stop on my zune. Neither party was justified to bring this into the publics view, but I feel that most viewers/readers would have preferred a sincere apology from GFW, not a parade of jokes and banter. While I love anything EGM, whether it is in a print, audio, or on-line form, this poor display has me second guessing where I choose to send my attention and dollars too, next time I want to read a story or listen to a podcast.

I pray not to see or hear this kind of ridicule ever again, for it surely will be the last time I visit your site, read your magazine, or listen to your podcast.

Sincerely,

Also:
Robert's Stalker Clear Skies impressions @ http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3169522

I, too, will consider long and hard before spending more money on a GFW podcast.

Broseybrose

FartOfWar said:
Dear EGM,

Sincerely,

Also:
there are people in this very thread that somehow still dont get that it was a joke... i dont see how, what with anthony giving his opinions on anthony in the third person :lol ,but they dont.

and shawn, you are a scary good actor (liar?)... jeff, not so much :lol

btw... i second opus's emotion that this was the best brodeo of 08, maybe ever. fuckin hilarity all the way through. i dont see how youre gonna top this one, but i have a feeling youll find a way.

really great job guys.

It's madness. My sister went on a tour of the Jelly Belly factory not 2 days ago, and she brought me back some. What kind do you ask?

0821081133.jpg

I'm not sure what this means regarding how my sister thinks of me. Either way, the podcast freaked me out too much try most of them. I ended up with Toothpaste which was FAR too real. I'll likely use them on people I know though. Crazy timing :lol

ATF487

The anthony talk reminded me of arrested development, when they're talking about what the hell happened to buster, and then it pans to him yawning. :lol

Nizz

Jeff killed me with "the game sucks!" :lol Thanks again for a great show, GFW. It may sound kinda corny but you guys really got me through my day at work. I found out I can bring my mp3 player with me and thank God, cause this day would have felt like an eternity if not for listening to the show. Thanks again!

Kayas

Neo Member
ATF487 said:
The anthony talk reminded me of arrested development, when they're talking about what the hell happened to buster, and then it pans to him yawning. :lol

Love those scenes. :lol :lol

Single best quote from AD is when Gob rides up on Michael after getting the sword of destiny and says:
Gob; Michael, I've been looking for you.
Michael; Looks like your looking for dragons......................in the future.
:lol :lol
A close second would be:
Maebey; Well, I'm all grown up now.

FartOfWar said:
Instead you continued to oust him for it, like so many of those non-gamers, jocks, parents, girlfriends, or anyone else who demeanors someone for liking videogames.

Yea, I hope you guys think before you demeanor someone again. :D

And I've got to get some of those Jelly Belly's.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
JeffGreen said:
Yes, but...we talked about it at length on the most recent Legendary Thread too, so you could listen to that as well!

pluuuuuuuuuug

for reals though, i thought this was another fine ep. the balance between zaniness and proper games coverage has been quite good...just moments before an off topic tagent is about to overstay its welcome, someone has been on the ball and re-railed the discussion back on track.

also, the gag in the intro was very well played. i kept going back and forth trying to decide if you guys were serious. of course i initially thought it was a joke, but the way you kept acknowledging that natural skepticism had me on the 50/50 line of belief. i was honestly in the process of logging on to gaf to see what was up when i hit the 6 min mark...good stuff.

Oh right, this is something else i've wanted to mention to you guys for a while now, but most recently with the braid talk. during analysis sections, pretty much everyone on the podcast gets self-conscious about over-analysis and even starts backpedaling. i completely understand this tendency, as I am the cynic that is always wary of reading too much into things.

during my senior year of college i took a film analysis class...the material was heavy on symbolism and metaphors which i thought were mostly bullshit. the professor could see the skepticism on most of our faces and made an excellent point that shifted my view on analysis

when you look at a painting, it's not about what the artist was thinking when they painted it...it's about what you see in the painting

while i am certainly still as skeptical as ever about over-analysis, i no longer think that people are completely full of themselves when they start to cross that line...instead, its just one of many possible interpretations of the 'artwork', regardless of what the creator's intentions were.

this isnt just in response to the braid discussions either...i remember thinking about what that prof. said during a good deal of your podcasts.

bah, whatever. keep up the good work, and in the future dont be afraid to analyze the fuck out of a game. backpedaling is for pussies!

lexi

Banned
Started listening to this during lunch, I'm amazed how well the chuff feud works and how WWE-legit it feels. :lol

Only got up to the Too Human stuff, looking forward to listening to the rest on the way home.

Jeff's "IT SUCKED!" was brilliant. Kudos.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
I love this one, too, in my inbox. It was entitled, simply, "ASSHOLE."

---------------
What is Your problem against Anthony Gallegos?

I've been listening to GFW for a couple of months and I have always loved to hear the Brodie-o talk about random crap that has happened in you lives and very occasionally you might actually talk about games, which is cool too on a games podcast. Hearing you insult company's like EA or a Dev studio was all good but in this weeks show when you completely ripped it out of Anthony Gallegos was to far. Even saying that he is nothing without you, Placing yourself on high and mighty pedestal, above all you listeners because hell aren't we just nothing like Anthony was before he Graced your podcast?

You make me sick, Jeff Green.
----------------

Finally, I get to play the villain! Black Dragon, yo!

Kayas

Neo Member
JeffGreen said:

---------------

I've been listening to GFW for a couple of months and I have always loved to hear the Brodie-o talk about random crap that has happened in you lives and very occasionally you might actually talk about games, which is cool too on a games podcast. Hearing you insult company's like EA or a Dev studio was all good but in this weeks show when you completely ripped it out of Anthony Gallegos was to far. Even saying that he is nothing without you, Placing yourself on high and mighty pedestal, above all you listeners because hell aren't we just nothing like Anthony was before he Graced your podcast?

----------------

I am amazed at how many people didn't catch on that, Anthony talked about Anthony on the podcast. WOW!

I know he said that he has only been listening to the show for a few months. But that should be long enough to know that the second Anthony said "got some play from a primordial midget" it was obviously a joke and being played for WWE style awesomeness.
These are the heroes of the web next week. :D

FartOfWar

Banned
deck said:
I think I was a little too rude in my original post(s). I'm just trying to understand where your coming from. It's weird...I both like and dislike you at the same time. No other podcaster (to use a specific medium) causes such mixed emotions with me. Either they are good or just whatever. Anyway you got something different...and GFW's popularity accounts for that.
I don't think you were rude. I'll respond tomorrow (I like you on Fridays but not Thursdays).

dionysus

Yaldog
Kayas said:
I am amazed at how many people didn't catch on that, Anthony talked about Anthony on the podcast. WOW!

I know he said that he has only been listening to the show for a few months. But that should be long enough to know that the second Anthony said "got some play from a primordial midget" it was obviously a joke and being played for WWE style awesomeness.
These are the heroes of the web next week. :D

Or maybe they are playing along with the joke. The kind of audience that the Brodeo attracts, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these emails and pms are jokes that they want read on the air. "I'd rather be a Hero of the Web and mentioned in the podcast than never mentioned at all" kind of mentality.

Edit. When are we going to get some long FartofWar monologues on games as art, emergent gameplay, or proper narrative techniques? I miss those.

I haven't listened to the entire podcast yet, but I laughed when everyone, right in the middle of "ragging" on Anthony, asked Anthony what he thought of the situation. It reminded me a certain scene in Arrested Development.

EDIT: Found it! The scene I'm talking about is right in the beginning of the clip, so you don't have to watch the entire thing if you don't want to.

Here.

voltron

FartOfWar said:
Dear EGM,

Sincerely,

Also:

lol zune:lol

Kayas

Neo Member
dionysus said:
Or maybe they are playing along with the joke. The kind of audience that the Brodeo attracts, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these emails and pms are jokes that they want read on the air. "I'd rather be a Hero of the Web and mentioned in the podcast than never mentioned at all" kind of mentality.

You may be exactly right.

bathala

Banned
lots of great stuff on this show. Anthony bit, Jeff going off, candy segment and especially the table and klingon :lol
can't wait to get STALKER

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
JeffGreen said:

---------------

----------------

Brodie-o? Helen Brodie fancast? ( http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0110898/ )

JCtheMC

Chufmoney said:
Nothing bad to say about the girl. Things just dont always work out between folks. I'll talk with the others and see if we think a final chuf love would be good.

You can't leave us hanging like this man!

FartOfWar

Banned
dionysus said:

Edit. When are we going to get some long FartofWar monologues on games as art, emergent gameplay, or proper narrative techniques? I miss those.

You listen to last week's episode? Also, you might like next week's 1up fm. I'm taping a segment with three special guests today.

FartOfWar

Banned
deck said:
Sometimes I get the impression that Shawn is embarrassed about video game culture and the fact that he works at a gaming site

I think he secretly wishes he worked in an academic field of some sort...yet he works at 1up (which is not bad)

I remember him talking about going to graduate school or something like that

This might be the reason for his constant griefing and his sometimes pompous attitude

OK, in order:
1. Sure some aspects of gaming culture are embarrassing. Some aspects of film and lit culture are shameful, too.

2. No, I'm not embarrassed that I work at a gaming site.

3. I wouldn't say I secretly wish I worked in an academic field. I'd enroll in a doctorate program if I did. I do love academia, however, and could imagine dedicating myself to any number of disciplines. I also enjoy the friendships I have with various academics -- such as Hans who is an experimental biologist and often works in the field around the world.

4. I like pranks, period.

5. I hope I'm not pompous.

LiK

FartOfWar said:
OK, in order:
1. Sure some aspects of gaming culture are embarrassing. Some aspects of film and lit culture are shameful, too.

2. No, I'm not embarrassed that I work at a gaming site.

3. I wouldn't say I secretly wish I worked in an academic field. I'd enroll in a doctorate program if I did. I do love academia, however, and could imagine dedicating myself to any number of disciplines. I also enjoy the friendships I have with various academics -- such as Hans who is an experimental biologist and often works in the field around the world.

4. I like pranks, period.

5. I hope I'm not pompous.

we love you. btw, please check for my PM at 1up.

Kayas

Neo Member
I think if you really listen to the show over time and read Shawn's stuff (all of the guys too), Shawn's personality starts to really present itself in more of a positive light and not pompous or mean that someone new to the podcast might think.
If Deck is just tuning in than I can see how it may come off as something other than that, but give it time and all will be revealed.

Also in regards to the embarrassed, or shameful video game field comment. I think Shawn has stated in a past shows, and the rest of the guys for that matter. That they are not embarrassed of the field in which they work, but more tired of having to legitimize themselves as serious writers in a field where the general public is wildly uninformed and constantly makes comments based on preconceived notions.

FartOfWar said:
No they don't. Look up usage for "..." vs "...."
Well that whole escapade seems to have blown up in my face...(.)

Moving right along, check out this screenshot from the hot new DS game "My Stop Smoking Coach with Allen Carr"
ProfileCreation.jpg

Aselith

JeffGreen said:

---------------

----------------

The finest example of passive-aggressive writing I have ever seen.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
MS and Sony will just have break there future downloadable full size games into $mall bite $ize piece$ to make it download friendly.

Top Bottom