• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX: CGW/GFW Radio “The Brodeo” Reunion #2: Even Eli Knows What That Means

It's amazing how long America had to deal with shit coffee. Australians are killing it making coffee in LA.

BTW, this was WAY too short. Knowing how hard it is for all you guys to get together, it should have gone for as long as you wanted. Sure, the reality of whatever time it was there could have pushed it, but damn it felt like you were just getting fired up.

dLMN8R

The roaster is called Victrola. It was up in capital hill. http://www.victrolacoffee.com/

Hah no shit. I've been to Victrola a bunch of times but had no idea they had something so crazy.

I've lived in Capitol Hill for a few years and can say definitively that Espresso Vivace is by far the best espresso in Seattle. Whether it's a straight shot or a cappuccino....pure heaven. Just FYI for the next time you're in town :)

(and it's like $3-4, not $15)

Sulik2

The part where you referenced an entirely different medium to downplay it's relevance is pretty telling. Or the part where it was a means of conversation for them long enough to keep it a topic when they were at a convention full of new games. If it's good enough for the brodeo, it's probably good enough for you.

Just because western visual novels don't have a lot of coming of age stories doesn't mean its not cliched and boring. They spent more time talking about the '90s nostalgia than the main plot. It is a bog standard story told over and over again in popular media. Everyone just gets a giggle from seeing X-Files VHS tapes and being able to pick up crap. The Gone Home section made me want to turn the podcast off and I would have if it wasn't the Brodeo guys. I am so tired of hearing games media people reliving the '90s going gaga over Gone Home and ignoring how generic it's story is.

Dylan

Just because western visual novels don't have a lot of coming of age stories doesn't mean its not cliched and boring. They spent more time talking about the '90s nostalgia than the main plot. It is a bog standard story told over and over again in popular media. Everyone just gets a giggle from seeing X-Files VHS tapes and being able to pick up crap. The Gone Home section made me want to turn the podcast off and I would have if it wasn't the Brodeo guys. I am so tired of hearing games media people reliving the '90s going gaga over Gone Home and ignoring how generic it's story is.

I think most people are praising the game for doing something, anything different.

The game didn't really do anything for me personally, story wise. But that's probably because I'm not, never have been, and probably never will be a teenaged girl. The game has a very Ready or Not feel to it (not sure what the American equivalent would be... maybe Blossom??) and I think this is what the developers were going for.

If the genre of Gone Home were more popular, this game would likely not stand out based purely on story; but the fact that it still feels fresh as an experience makes a lot of us question why we haven't moved much further beyond DOOM in 2013. That's what makes this game worth talking about, in my worthless opinion.

cast.jpg

Loved the cast, you guys are still on top of that shit. Also, no one quite analyzes games the way Shawn does; always coming from an interesting angle and he knows how to communicate those thoughts. Still miss the old days...

Chavelo

I knew I could count on you, Ryan. You were always my favorite. ALWAYS.
/shoves Jeff Green away

"Hello and welcome..." *sniff*

It was great to hear everyone again, though somewhat bittersweet due to the length. Would have killed for a quick heroes of the web too, nothing made me laugh harder than that ridiculous segment.

FartOfWar

Banned

I didn't do any nostalgic gaga, though.

sclpls

Neo Member
This was great. Loved Shawn's point about how players are more likely to obey the rules of the game rather than the rules of the narrative. That's why the whole concept of nudonarrative dissonance has never really bothered me, and I'm totally fine with games like Half-Life, Gone Home, the Bioshock games, etc.

I think Gone Home is definitely pretty special. It's a very simple story, but what makes it a great story telling game is not the story itself, but the way it tells that story. When you have that level of detail a designer is willing to bring to a game it is just kind of inherently a wonderful thing in and of itself, and why games don't need to be these series of explosive kinetic action sequences to be interesting. What's relevant in that layering of detail is not realism or immersing the player into believing that you are actually experiencing this thing, but the way that those layers communicate to the player ideas about a setting, events, etc. Gone Home is the first game I can think of that eschews genre, and it hangs together wonderfully because its fidelity to details do create this almost literary experience by other means.

Gone Home was also a game that I felt was constrained by a lot of specific conceits to help it make sense. It will be a tough act to follow for the Fullbright crew, but I think Shawn's idea of a game where a player experiences the multiplicity of personality within the game's characters makes a lot of sense as a logical sort of area for them to develop, and it is well within their skill set. I picked up Minerva's Den recently and started playing that, and I was impressed by the nuances of the characters in that game; that level of character complexity would be excellent to experience.

CzarTim

This was great. Loved Shawn's point about how players are more likely to obey the rules of the game rather than the rules of the narrative.

I have not played Gone Home yet, but the difference to me is choice. In GTA, I can point my gun at an ally, and they won't react. That's ludonarrative dissonance, but one of my own creation. I chose to break the rules of the game. This is not the same as other games establishing a ruleset within its story and then proceeding to break those rule either due to technical limitations or for the sake of fun; in which case the story should have been adjusted to match the gameplay.

Like I said, I have not played Gone Home yet, so maybe I'm wrong. The way Shawn asked the question just made me think that the players ultimately chose how to experience the story.

I have not played Gone Home yet, but the difference to me is choice. In GTA, I can point my gun at an ally, and they won't react. That's ludonarrative dissonance, but one of my own creation. I chose to break the rules of the game.

This is the same situation where some players complain that being able to jump around and stack boxes on NPCs in Half-Life 2 is too immersion breaking. If it breaks your immersion, why are you doing it? Given agency, the player has a share of responsibility for his own immersion.

CzarTim

This is the same situation where some players complain that being able to jump around and stack boxes on NPCs in Half-Life 2 is too immersion breaking. If it breaks your immersion, why are you doing it? Given agency, the player has a share of responsibility for his own immersion.
That was my point?

Peru

So great, so natural. Not sure what's special about these guys but they have a rapport that's just a level above even the best alternatives in game podcasting or most podcasting in general. I'm sure they're all satisfied in the work they do now but I'm genuine in saying that somewhat regularly making podcasts would be an actual, important contribution to the arts. It's not about game journalism or anything like that anymore, it's about the cultural product that is this podcast.

Sorry for bumping this thread and getting people's hopes up that's there's a new episode out...that's not the case.

I'm going through my GFW Radio "collection" on my iPod and I'm just wondering if I have all the episodes. I have all the ones from when they were at 1UP, but I'm not sure if I'm missing any reunion shows. The post-1UP episodes I have are the following:

The Comedy Button episode 23 (May 20, 2012)
The Comedy Button episode 74 (April 19, 2013)
The Geekbox: GFW Radio Reunion 2013 (September 22, 2013)

Are these all of them? I stopped listening to podcasts completely after 1UP imploded, so it's hard to keep up with these reunion episodes, especially when they seem to be on totally random podcast feeds. Thanks, guys.

Firestorm

Sorry for bumping this thread and getting people's hopes up that's there's a new episode out...that's not the case.

I'm going through my GFW Radio "collection" on my iPod and I'm just wondering if I have all the episodes. I have all the ones from when they were at 1UP, but I'm not sure if I'm missing any reunion shows. The post-1UP episodes I have are the following:

Are these all of them? I stopped listening to podcasts completely after 1UP imploded, so it's hard to keep up with these reunion episodes, especially when they seem to be on totally random podcast feeds. Thanks, guys.
Not sure where it'd be but the first reunion cast was done at PAX 2009.

border

Yeah, as far as I know there are 2 PAX reunions and 2 Comedy Button reunions....so you are missing at least one PAX show. I wouldn't know where to find it though.

I think there have been a couple podcasts where both Jeff and Shawn were simultaneous guests as well.....but I think even I have missed out on those. Maybe Gamers With Jobs?

Sober

The first 2009 PAX reunion is on the Geekbox, someone in the early 50 or 75 episodes IIRC. There was also video.

Didn't know where to put this, so it goes here. Shawn was on RebelFM this week and he told an amazing online griefing/trolling story about he and his friends playing Rust. Really brought me back to the glory days of the GFW Second Life tales.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmH7JI4FEoo

Wow - coincidentally I just listened to that this morning at it was totes amazeballs. I would literally pay money to see what Shawn Elliot did in Second Life. His stories inspired me to play it and create the monster below.

I have the big archive that was put up a long time ago of every GFW show, and I was wondering if anybody has ever curated the GFW show history into a list of what they talk about, or even a ranking? I know it is a lot to ask but given the historical importance of the show, I was wondering if anyone has taken that task on.... I say this as a huge huge fan of the Brodeo and 1UP Yours.

7Q5ZbGM.png

Top Bottom