• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ON AIR: GFW Radio 97.5 The Brodeo

Nizz

Man, it was so good to hear the guys again. Shows me just how much I miss this podcast. Thanks again Brodeo crew for putting this show out.

witness

So last week I started listening to GFW Radio again for old times sake and I was shocked at the coincidence of there being a new episode last friday! It was really fantastic to listen to, and I hope we get more of these again in the future.

I can't even think of an FPS that has been released since HL2:E2 that has bettered it. What revolutionary advancements in FPS's would cause it to not hold up in 2012?

Anything game that's been released for over 2 years is dated and unplayable, obviously.

DangerStepp

I've been creeping on the listening.

I don't want it to end.

Seriously--one of the best podcasts of all time. Thank you, guys.

I've been listening to the entire run of GFW in repeat since last May. I've listened to some classic episodes like 4 or 5 times.
You aren't alone; I do the same thing. Shit is pure gold and makes me wallow in nostalgia.

90sRobots

I can't even think of an FPS that has been released since HL2:E2 that has bettered it. What revolutionary advancements in FPS's would cause it to not hold up in 2012?

Eh, never dug the amusement park feel to the games. Ravenholm seemed to be where the gameplay really opened up. I can't do Call of Duty for the same reasons. Third person cover-based shooters like Uncharted, RE4, Mass Effect, etc. is where it's at for me.

frequency

I just started listening to this.
It's really nice to hear everyone again - especially Shawn Elliott.

It's so incredibly weird to hear Ryan be so vocal in this group. I listened to the Geekbox for like a year after the band broke up but stopped for some reason I can't remember. I feel like I should again.

I stopped listening to Rebel FM even though I like Anthony. I was very much pushed away when they spent donation money to buy a gaming computer for one of the new hosts. I was also turned off by all those "love advice" emails.

I think I only ever heard Shawn on the Irrational podcast like... once.

Jeff has been fairly consistent, but it's always nice to hear him.

Is "A Life Well Wasted" still going? I un-subbed after nothing happened for like a year.

Sean has been really quiet so far.

Eh, never dug the amusement park feel to the games. Ravenholm seemed to be where the gameplay really opened up. I can't do Call of Duty for the same reasons. Third person cover-based shooters like Uncharted, RE4, Mass Effect, etc. is where it's at for me.

I think if you appreciated Ravenholm, then Episode Two would be just what you want. It's not massively more open, but there's breathing room and the scenarios are a big bigger.

Episode One might be skippable though.

Banned
Holy shit, what a great surprise!!! And they didn't need to scab buses of money to do it. Legends.

Banned
Can we at least get more of something like Out of the Game again? Get as many people into it as you can every month or so, even if it's just three guys and not all from the GFW podcast.

This reunion really makes it clear that other gaming podcasts don't have the same level of quality. And it's not even nostalgia for me, I got into the Brodeo towards the end. We need more podcasts with people who are actually interesting to listen to, and have things to say outside of gaming topics that don't reveal how boring they are.

Out of the Game never worked, sadly due mainly to Ngai for me. Seems like a top dude but zero 'radio' vibe. Just Shawn and Jeff having a podcast would be enough really.

And GFW does really highlight how painfully boring other podcasts are. Things like Idle Thumbs or any of the other 1up wannabes / hangers on just didn't and dont have interesting, relatable human charisma. GFW were lucky they were interesting guys, because most gaming nerds and industry types aren't. Which added to why GFW was special. I know they've got better things to do than podcast, which is another reason they're interesting people, but I'd like THEM to have hundreds of thousands of dollars and to just put out 5 to 10 a year. Life, hey.

frequency

I forgot how good GFW was as I get deeper into this.

I like the entire GFW cast, so I don't want to single anyone out but...
If I was completely honest, I think I have to say that Shawn really makes GFW what it is.

He is probably the most unique and intriguing podcast personality I've listened to. It's incredible how he so easily switches from the most ridiculous and sometimes immature anecdotes to some very smart and insightful discussion.

I love the whole "intelligent goof" thing he has going on.

This made me realize how much I really miss him as a podcast personality.

renitou

And GFW does really highlight how painfully boring other podcasts are. Things like Idle Thumbs or any of the other 1up wannabes / hangers on just didn't and dont have interesting, relatable human charisma.
Hold on there, chief.

DangerStepp

I stopped listening to Rebel FM even though I like Anthony. I was very much pushed away when they spent donation money to buy a gaming computer for one of the new hosts. I was also turned off by all those "love advice" emails.
Also, Arthur was on it.

He's a turn off.

I've only listened to about 30 minutes of this podcast so far, but I hope they stop talking about how games development is so very different from games journalism. I get it. It's almost as if they're different careers or something. Shocking.

That seemed to be the main topic on the Out of the Game podcasts as well. Still love GFW Radio, though.

If I was completely honest, I think I have to say that Shawn really makes GFW what it is.

He is probably the most unique and intriguing podcast personality I've listened to. It's incredible how he so easily switches from the most ridiculous and sometimes immature anecdotes to some very smart and insightful discussion.

Jeff Green was easily equally as important to me.

FartOfWar

Banned

Damn. Thank you!

frequency

Jeff Green was easily equally as important to me.

I can understand that. I love Jeff Green and am subbed to the (inconsistent) PopCap podcast solely to hear him. Maybe I just incorrectly "valued" him less because I hear him semi-regularly still. I never hear Shawn anywhere anymore.

Damn. Thank you!

Yikes! I got a response.
Pretty sure that's the first time I've seen someone say "thank you" after being called a "goof".

FartOfWar

Banned
I can understand that. I love Jeff Green and am subbed to the (inconsistent) PopCap podcast solely to hear him. Maybe I just incorrectly "valued" him less because I hear him semi-regularly still. I never hear Shawn anywhere anymore.

Yikes! I got a response.
Pretty sure that's the first time I've seen someone say "thank you" after being called a "goof".

Check out the latest Irrational Behavior? http://irrationalgames.com/insider/irrational-behavior-episode-10-best-games-of-2011/

FartOfWar

Banned
I've only listened to about 30 minutes of this podcast so far, but I hope they stop talking about how games development is so very different from games journalism. I get it. It's almost as if they're different careers or something. Shocking.

That seemed to be the main topic on the Out of the Game podcasts as well. Still love GFW Radio, though.[/Q

I can see where you're coming from. The topics move away from that a little ways into the episode.

border

It was nice having everyone back together, but the audio quality was pretty atrocious. And as with any Skype podcast everyone ends up interrupting or talking over someone else. I hope future reunions will have everyone in the same room, because without that it's kinda hard to recreate GFW Radio.

That seemed to be the main topic on the Out of the Game podcasts as well. Still love GFW Radio, though.

Thankfully this reunion show is not as self important as Out of the Game. That show should have been called Shawn Elliot's pulpit. It was uncomfortable to listen to, especially knowing Luke Smith seemed to want no part of the...intellectual?...discussion Shawn was trying to have. Jeff Green and Robert Ashley didn't seem totally on board with it either. Then there was N'gai. Anytime he spoke or attempted a joke it was like applying the emergency brake while driving 55.

gabbo

It changes to other things later on.

This made me very happy to hear. Everyone always talks about how Ryan never talked on GFW, but neither did Sean Molloy. Even on this episode, he was hardly there for the last half of it. Still, it was good to hear him.

Whatever happened to Darren Gladstone? Seems like he's never included in the fond recollections of the Brodeo. I'm expecting one day to see a scathing tell-all about how evil of a person he was or something.

Jeff was always the backbone of the podcast. I'm glad they only did one more show when he left because it wouldn't have been the same. He kept it all together and allowed it to delve into utter madness when appropriate.

Shawn, Sean and Robert were the great supporting characters who brought the best content for them to discuss. Darren, Ryan and Anthony were also great, but less important.

That's how I'd rank it, anyway. Not that it matters in the slightest, because they were 7 guys who entertained me. The more the merrier!

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Thankfully this reunion show is not as self important as Out of the Game. That show should have been called Shawn Elliot's pulpit. It was uncomfortable to listen to, especially knowing Luke Smith seemed to want no part of the...intellectual?...discussion Shawn was trying to have. Jeff Green and Robert Ashley didn't seem totally on board with it either. Then there was N'gai. Anytime he spoke or attempted a joke it was like applying the emergency brake while driving 55.

haha. apt description.

Jeff was always the backbone of the podcast. I'm glad they only did one more show when he left because it wouldn't have been the same. He kept it all together and allowed it to delve into utter madness when appropriate.

Shawn, Sean and Robert were the great supporting characters who brought the best content for them to discuss. Darren, Ryan and Anthony were also great, but less important.

That's how I'd rank it, anyway. Not that it matters in the slightest, because they were 7 guys who entertained me. The more the merrier!

Yeah man.

I just remember as a kid cutting the grass and listening to the brodeo episode that I burned on to a CD and played in my janky-ass walkman cd player that would skip every time I took a step.

I remember always LOVING when Shawn would talk about poop, feces, farts, obesia, etc, laughing my ass off, then always having Jeff come in and spoil the fun. BUT, he always knew when to do it at the right times before things got too far.

Too fuckin funny. Miss those days terribly.

PS: I would pay up to but not exceeding 15 dollars a month for a GFW radio subscription. Just FYI.

I haven't listened to a Podcast seriously since this goldike podcast ended. Geekbox is / was fun but I haven't listened to them in months (years?). Whenever Lost ended. So glad to have this episode. Mainly once the original cast started moving on with their lives and people like that deep voiced guy showed up I lost interest. :(

Yeah man.

I just remember as a kid cutting the grass and listening to the brodeo episode that I burned on to a CD and played in my janky-ass walkman cd player that would skip every time I took a step.

This is blowing my mind right now. Brodeo, being a kid, and an actual cd player all at the same time just isn't computing. :p

This is blowing my mind right now. Brodeo, being a kid, and an actual cd player all at the same time just isn't computing. :p

Yup lol. I was an under privileged child and did not have one of them fancy iPoods.

But I did build myself a gaming rig and played hours of oblivion/hl2/cs1.6.

I found it quite interesting, and I wouldn't have minded hearing more about it, particularly from Jeff. It's a huge transition to make, and the task is even more daunting when you're approaching 50, have children about to go to college, need to be preparing for retirement, and you've spent the majority (all?) of your working life as a writer with some managerial responsibilities. I am not interested in the very obvious differences between writing about games and making them; I am interested in their experiences making the transition between thetwo worlds. Maybe you're tired of hearing about it since it is a topic on the Out of the Game podcast. I haven't listened to that yet, so thanks for the inadvertent recommendation!

theRizzle

Guys, that was fantastic. Thank you for doing this. It was like stepping into a time-machine and going back to a sweeter time.

I totally agree with frequency's post about Shawn. He reminds me of a lot of the guys that I grew up with in that he can come across as very base and crass, but at the same time is incredibly intellectual and poignant.

GFW Radio will never be surpassed as the zenith of gaming-related podcasts.

CzarTim

r90JJl.jpg

yonder

Finished the episode an hour ago and just wanted to thank everyone involved for making it happen. The incredible balance between fucked-up hilarity and thoughtful discussion is still nowhere else to be found.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Has Shawn Elliott or Jeff Green been in any other podcasts this past year? I remember them doing a few "out of the game" podcasts a while ago, but is there anything else out there?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I dunno. Coming into that podcast late was pretty alienating for me. All buddy-buddy chuckling. Not really entertaining to me. Nothing resembling moments where someone brings up something they've been reading about psychology or something, and relating that to games, like we get with Shawn Elliot. That's the sort of thing I'm interested in.

Imagine like, the Bombcast guys doing that. Jeff and Ryan step on any vaguely intellectual discussion, even on the mechanics of games, almost like they're afraid of boring the audience they get deeper than the vagaries of what makes a game good. I find them entertaining but that really gets to me. I'd love to listen to Vinnie go on about Dark Souls or Brad talk about SC2 strategy, even though I don't play that game. But they can barely get into that without Ryan saying something snide and shuffling it back to more "what are you playing this week" talk.

Idle Thumbs say many smart things of the sort you seem to be interested in. Start at the beginning instead of the middle and it will feel a lot less like you're missing in-jokes. And they cover a wide range of topics, often completely disconnected from the latest releases, which gives the show a timeless quality.

The Bombcast guys are charming, funny people with great chemistry but I have NEVER felt particularly enlightened about game design or player psychology while listening to them in the way that I did when listening to GFW or Idle Thumbs.

I dunno. Coming into that podcast late was pretty alienating for me. All buddy-buddy chuckling. Not really entertaining to me. Nothing resembling moments where someone brings up something they've been reading about psychology or something, and relating that to games, like we get with Shawn Elliot. That's the sort of thing I'm interested in.

Imagine like, the Bombcast guys doing that. Jeff and Ryan step on any vaguely intellectual discussion, even on the mechanics of games, almost like they're afraid of boring the audience they get deeper than the vagaries of what makes a game good. I find them entertaining but that really gets to me. I'd love to listen to Vinnie go on about Dark Souls or Brad talk about SC2 strategy, even though I don't play that game. But they can barely get into that without Ryan saying something snide and shuffling it back to more "what are you playing this week" talk.

Idle Thumbs is simultaneously the smartest and silliest podcast in relation to gaming. The bombcast is more like a funny way of hearing game reviews and previews.

I finally listened to this last night and those two hours felt like twenty minutes. It was thoroughly entertaining and as always the conversation was effortless, hilarious (I laughed pretty hard at the CWC discussion), and interesting (specifically the discussions about The Most Human Human, which is on my Amazon wishlist). I now miss GFW Radio more than ever and I hope they'll do this again someday. I've already downloaded the Just Talking episodes with Jeff and Shawn and I look forward to listening to them sometime soon.

Oh, and I'm glad that I decided to send Shawn the link to that shroom forum on Twitter a couple months ago, lol. When I came across it I figured that he was the person who would appreciate it the most.

Top Bottom