• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ON AIR: GFW Radio 97.5 The Brodeo

Gowans

i heard on rebelfm that shawn posted his SC5 character, so im guessing its on twitter. if you find it post it here.

It was also in the when Charater Creation goes wrong thread

efRxV.jpg

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
So yeah, that's what I do these days. END SHAMELESS SELF-PLUG!

If you're looking for more work, I'm sure there are more than a few cooking websites that are itching for your contributions.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Would it be too much of a stretch for them to do this really irregularly, every few months or so? Even over skype, it don't matter! Just having them all bounce off each other again feels great. I know their schedules are at odds, but doing it once in a blue moon would be killer.

Dylan

Great episode. Everyone seemed to fall back into routine. Also, I was worried that a lot of this podcast would be the same "It turns out game development is different than games journalism! Hyuck!" that we have been hearing since 2008, but I was glad to hear they kept that discussion to a minimum.

I also loved how nobody actually knew anything about Sean Molloy until now.

The only thing that was missing was the inability for Shawn, Sean & Jeff to talk critically about games, which is why I propose what could be the greatest podcast of all time:

Shawn Elliott should just regularly record himself asking Rory Manion about shit that pisses him off in games and gaming topics. Make this happen! It could only be amazing.

Ryan Scott

Neo Member
Who in there right mind would willingly subject themselves to Scott Browley.

The answer is "people who realistically want another one of these reunion thingies."

There could be more GFW Radio reunions in store, if the Comedy Button stays successful. Plus, you know, you should listen anyway, since it's a good show. ;)

haha good for you!

wait... when/why did you leave the IGN family? o_O. Got too many geekbox eps on podcast backlog lol.

Need to give that trivia show a try as well. ;P

When: September 30, 2011. Why: A long story that boils down to "I wasn't as happy as I wanted to be, and decided it was time to try other things."

Would it be too much of a stretch for them to do this really irregularly, every few months or so? Even over skype, it don't matter! Just having them all bounce off each other again feels great. I know their schedules are at odds, but doing it once in a blue moon would be killer.

The more people who listen to the Comedy Button, the more this needle pushes to "yes, maybe!" Go subscribe on iTunes, people! The link is right here!

Shawn Elliott should just regularly record himself asking Rory Manion about shit that pisses him off in games and gaming topics. Make this happen! It could only be amazing.

Yeah, but Rory's a big baby and never wants to be on podcasts. We tried to get him on GFW Radio so many times. Also he's BANNED here for some retarded reason, you lunatics. (Also, fun fact, there was a point where I was seriously considering turning my AIM conversations with Rory into a regular "Conversations with a Madman" feature on GameSpy.)

CzarTim

The answer is "people who realistically want another one of these reunion thingies."

There could be more GFW Radio reunions in store, if the Comedy Button stays successful. Plus, you know, you should listen anyway, since it's a good show. ;)

Ryan just went all Hans Gruber on us!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really interested in seeing how a podcast with both Scott and Shawn on would fare. Could be an interesting dynamic.

Druz

You've made yourself a new source of his disdain for that suggestion. I dont know why people ever think forcing humor or rage will produce something worthwhile.

1-D_FTW

Yeah, but Rory's a big baby and never wants to be on podcasts. We tried to get him on GFW Radio so many times. Also he's BANNED here for some retarded reason, you lunatics. (Also, fun fact, there was a point where I was seriously considering turning my AIM conversations with Rory into a regular "Conversations with a Madman" feature on GameSpy.)

Baloney. Even the name is fake. Rory Manion? Sounds like a fictitious name pulled from Shawn's imagination;)

Great show and thanks for putting it together!

JABEE

I wish GFW Radio could be recorded every other week like 8-4 Play.

Edit: I believe Out of the Game is no longer being hosted online.

Dylan

You've made yourself a new source of his disdain for that suggestion. I dont know why people ever think forcing humor or rage will produce something worthwhile.

There's an easy workaround: Just don't tell him it's for a podcast until a couple seasons' worth of material has been collected.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I was legitimately sad when this episode ended. It reminded me of everything great about the GFW days. Well, maybe it'll happen again in another year?

trw

Hey Jeff, listened to the review discussion and wondered if you have read Kill Screen. They are a bit hit or miss but they usually just focus on one aspect or feeling of a game and write about it. Here's a bit from their L.A. Noir review:
http://killscreendaily.com/articles/reviews/review-l-noire/
Not so with L.A. Noire. This world exists for one purpose: to observe and—at limited, specific times—to react to Cole Phelps. I started to ask, who are these people around me? Why are they watching me? Why do they await my every action so patiently?

Their faces seem familiar, almost real, stretched onto marionettes and set into motion by invisible strings. But when I accuse them of lying, why are they so consistent in their demands for proof? Why do they move their eyes with such specific, determined shiftiness? And why, when I pass them on the street, do they speak only of me and my actions?

"He's a waste on the police force. A good-looking boy like that should go into politics."

"You remember Mickey and his boys were shootin' up the town last night? Remember there was only one cop fightin' back? He was either brave or crazy."

"There he is! The guy from the papers. You should be ashamed of yourself, young man."

They're all watching Cole, talking about him; ruminating about his recent cases, his media presence, the ups and downs of his career. Those lines of ambient dialogue repeat and repeat until one can’t help but sense the watchful eye of Big Brother, the constant surveillance of the city itself.

The more I played L.A. Noire, the less I was able to accept the identity I had been given. My early accomplishments led to a swift promotion from street cop to traffic investigator to homicide detective. I learned the ins and outs of the game's truth-doubt-lie interrogation system, and I put a half-dozen men in jail. No one questioned my meteoric rise through the force; no one pointed out how strange it was that every time a case needed solving, I found the perfect evidence, almost as though it had been placed there just for me. No one wondered why, regardless of the lines of questioning I chose, I always wound up putting someone away.

eiskaltnz

This had everything from the classic GFWs.

I really enjoyed the talk about their experiences moving over to the development side. It would have been interesting to hear Sean Molloy talk about it but I guess its Blizzard...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this podcast should be part of the Idle Thumbs Podcast Network, with Idle Thumbs (obviously) and Three Moves Ahead. It couldn't be a more perfect pairing.

Odrion

Banned
this podcast should be part of the Idle Thumbs Podcast Network, with Idle Thumbs (obviously) and Three Moves Ahead. It couldn't be a more perfect pairing.
You should listen to more of the comedy button and see if you change your mind.

:p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh. sorry, I didn't realise that was a thing.

Gowans

I'm waiting for Ryan to make a Moba cast to join his media empire.

With DoTA 2 coming etc. along with Guild Wars etc I would love a Ryan gaming style show as there is a real gap. For now I'll catch his write ups where I can online.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this entire chris section is as gross as it is interesting. it's like what the truman show would be in real life.

yeah, the whole section made me feel incredibly uncomfortable, but it was super-interesting.

the fat-man/chris-chan crossover event bit had me in tears, though. gold.

Jeff referred to the present podcast as CGW Radio. It's like he was on a nostalgia script, getting things wrong, just like the old days!. :D

El Sloth

Banned
Seeing all the posts on the 1st and 2nd page of this thread talking about Kickstarting the podcast made laugh after listening through the thing.
yeah, the whole section made me feel incredibly uncomfortable, but it was super-interesting.

the fat-man/chris-chan crossover event bit had me in tears, though. gold.
I was so conflicted during the Chris-Chan story.

I think I may have reserved a nice condo for me in hell during that section.

Ryan Scott

Neo Member
Jeff referred to the present podcast as CGW Radio. It's like he was on a nostalgia script, getting things wrong, just like the old days!. :D

It kinda never stopped being CGW for us. GFW was just some weird thing that had to happen to keep the magazine from folding.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
It kinda never stopped being CGW for us. GFW was just some weird thing that had to happen to keep the magazine from folding.

Yeah, it was a conscious thing and a minor "statement" from me for this new episode. Now that the magazine is over and none of us work there, I felt like I could reclaim "CGW" and lose the fucking godawful "Games for Windows" moniker. But of course I guess we all know and think of it now as "GFW Radio." And that's okay. :)

LiK

Yeah, it was a conscious thing and a minor "statement" from me for this new episode. Now that the magazine is over and none of us work there, I felt like I could reclaim "CGW" and lose the fucking godawful "Games for Windows" moniker. But of course I guess we all know and think of it now as "GFW Radio." And that's okay. :)

whatever the name, the channel will be the same. FO LYFE

If you guys make more episodes just call it "Sexy Ladies Talk Games" and quadruple your downloads.

Negator

Just name the show similarly to your current tag. Everyone will instantly know what's up.

I also read that post in your voice

El Sloth

Banned
Whatever the name it'll always be the Brodeo.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
Can't thank y'all enough for all the kindness in this thread. We had a great time recording it. Really appreciate your support!

Can't thank y'all enough for all the kindness in this thread. We had a great time recording it. Really appreciate your support!

I think we just hope stuff like this happens again. I don't know how you liked the setup, but I think it sounded great. It didn't sound like it was that hard to riff off each other.

FStop7

Banned
The episode was really good, there were some really noticeable changes that jumped out at me. Ryan spoke a lot more and was more engaged and Anthony was waaay better at articulating his thoughts on the fly. Both changes were definitely for the better, the show left me really missing GFW more than I already did.

It was great hearing the Brodeo again. I miss all the recommendations that I used to get out of this and Out of the Game. I went and purchased American Movie from Amazon after listening to this and was well worth it - very interesting documentary.

Infinity

Just finished listening to the episode, and it was a great one, Jeff! I hope this is the first of many!

You guys picked up where you left off - and bravo for getting the date wrong. :)

Akia

Because of the Brodeo going away, we now have:

Idle Thumbs
Three Moves Ahead (now apart of the Idle Thumbs Network)
Geekbox.net Family of Podcasts (Geekbox, Comic Conspiracy, Comedy Button, Good Job, Brain!)
A LIFE WELL WASTED (holy crap how did I forget this one)

Back when Idle Thumbs first started I remember Chris Remo specifically citing that they started the podcast to fill the void left by GFW Radio's passing. Troy Goodfellow, founder of Three Moves Ahead, said the same thing in their most recent podcast where they annouced their partnership with the Idle Thumbs gang. Let's not even try to tally up how many "Whatca been playing" podcasts spawned off of 1UP Yours.

Because of the Brodeo going away, we now have:

Idle Thumbs
Three Moves Ahead (now apart of the Idle Thumbs Network)
Geekbox.net Family of Podcasts (Geekbox, Comic Conspiracy, Comedy Button, Good Job, Brain!)

Back when Idle Thumbs started I remember them specifically citing that they started the podcast to fill the void left by GFW Radio's passing. Troy Goodfellow, the founder of Three Moves Ahead said the same thing in their most recent podcast where they annouced their partnership with the Idle Thumbs gang.

I really wish Robert had enough time to work on A Life Well Wasted; it was one of my favorite podcasts after everyone had disbanded.

Danielsan

Listened to it yesterday. Felt like stepping into a time machine and revisiting the good all days. No other podcast comes close to capturing the magic of The Brodeo.

Top Bottom