• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GFW Radio Reunion @ PAX 2009

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
haha i also didn't believe robert's story, that's hilarious that guy vouched

and what that one touchy-feely Q&A guy said, was actually spot on. it sounds douchey to put into words, because the ones that describe why gfw radio was great are normally used for more significant things. definitely changed some ways i viewed games, and tbh some parts of life. it was at its worst when it seemed like thats what they were going for, though...sometimes the "that's deep, bro" felt a bit forced.

i got into roberts stash before writing this post :(

GFW-2.jpg

voltron

Rez said:
waiting for the audio file courtesy of Mr Scott :)

I was too. Fuck knows whats happened to it though. I agree with you in as much as I dont like complaining for free shit.

But Ryan said it would be up soonish HOURS AGO, and shit still aint there.

Putting it in the Geekbox feed is a bad decision IMO too. It should have gone out thru the Listen Up feed. Makes more sense as I dont think many Brodeo listeners would have stuck with the Geekbox. WAAAAY different show.

Shurs

voltron said:
I was too. Fuck knows whats happened to it though. I agree with you in as much as I dont like complaining for free shit.

Putting it in the Geekbox feed is a bad decision IMO too. It should have gone out thru the Listen Up feed. Makes more sense as I dont think many Brodeo listeners would have stuck with the Geekbox. WAAAAY different show.

I dunno. If I'm Ryan Scott, I'm thinking that I'd rather the hits come to my website rather than 1up's site seeing as a) they laid me off and b) they contributed nothing to making the panel at PAX happen.

Cohsae

voltron said:

Well to be fair, it was getting pretty late in the U.S. when he posted that.

voltron

Shurs said:
I dunno. If I'm Ryan Scott, I'm thinking that I'd rather the hits come to my website rather than 1up's site seeing as a) they laid me off and b) they contributed nothing to making the panel at PAX happen.

Im talking about iTunes though. I would happy for Ryan to have the mp3 available on his site.... but the actual iTunes feed doesnt affect anything really. Unless Im missing something, but I dont see how 5000 downloads of a file through iTunes actually registers as hits for a website (unless Im not clued up on how iTunes works).

I just think the Geekbox audience is a 180 from the Brodeo audience. I cant listen to Geekbox as it bores the shit outta me. I guess I just wouldnt want Brodeo fans who dont frequent GAF or whatever to miss out on this reunion show. Spitting it out through the Geekbox feed just wont reach many of those people.

Cohsae said:
So GFW PAX 2010? What do we have to do to make it happen?

I had a number of people ask me this question at the end of the panel. And after watching the vid -- being there was like an out of body experience, viewing everything through smoke -- I realize that it was kind of thrown back to me by Jeff and Sean. I was the guy that gave the rock the first shove, but so much else had to happen over the last 8 months to have it come together like it did. Will there be a GFW Radio reunion in 2010? Let's just allow that question to hang there for a bit.

I also realized that Shawn gave me some really sincere thanks during the show -- I think I just grinned like an idiot without any real acknowledgment of what he said. I'll say it now, thanks Shawn, those were some very kind words!

OmniAvenger said:
I had a number of people ask me this question at the end of the panel. And after watching the vid -- being there was like an out of body experience, viewing everything through smoke -- I realize that it was kind of thrown back to me by Jeff and Sean. I was the guy that gave the rock the first shove, but so much else had to happen over the last 8 months to have it come together like it did. Will there be a GFW Radio reunion in 2010? Let's just allow that question to hang there for a bit.

I also realized that Shawn gave me some really sincere thanks during the show -- I think I just grinned like an idiot without any real acknowledgment of what he said. I'll say it now, thanks Shawn, those were some very kind words!
Well thanks for putting it together it was even better than I hoped it would be.

randomwab

OmniAvenger said:

Seriously though, many thanks. This is something every GFW Radio fan wanted, and it's everything we hoped for. It's also a nice thing for a ton of the people who got into the show after it was done, which is a fair number even on this board.

But yeah, from one GFW fan to another (as you clearly are based on the awesome intro you did), thanks for getting this put together.

And also, many thanks to Shawn and Jeff and any other Brodeo members who may be lurking, it was damn cool of you guys to take the time to go down to PAX and represent the best damn podcast that ever was and ever will be.

GFW4LI4E
Shameless elpresador ripoff right there

Ryan Scott

Neo Member
I see someone already ripped the full audio, but for those interested, I've split the audio up into two slightly more manageable files -- you can grab 'em right here at Geekbox.net, or on my iTunes feed (and I'd appreciate it if you would, because this is my podcast for the week and I want my clicks dammit!). I hope you guys enjoy it; we definitely had a lot of fun, and I hope we get to reunite for another panel at next year's PAX, assuming we don't all die from swine flu.

Also:

McBacon said:
Is that the guy who knew Ryan's wife's name and Shawn's birthday?
Yes, that's Davin Loh, a good friend of mine and Karen Chu's. He was actually on my podcast once, a while back. He's a great guy.

Acid08

Banned
Ryan Scott said:
I see someone already ripped the full audio, but for those interested, I've split the audio up into two slightly more manageable files -- you can grab 'em right here at Geekbox.net, or on my iTunes feed (and I'd appreciate it if you would, because this is my podcast for the week and I want my clicks dammit!). I hope you guys enjoy it; we definitely had a lot of fun, and I hope we get to reunite for another panel at next year's PAX, assuming we don't all die from swine flu.

Also:

Yes, that's Davin Loh, a good friend of mine and Karen Chu's. He was actually on my podcast once, a while back. He's a great guy.
No Geekbox this week? DISAGREE.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Hey, Ryan. Just wanted to say I agree with most of your Inglorious Basterds comments. I really like the geekbox and thanks for uploading the gfw reunion file.

Druz

voltron said:

Why would Brodeo listeners stick with ListenUp? GFW gone -> Geekbox/OOTG/ALWW

I found this to be just as entertaining as the old Brodeo and was definitely worth the wait. It was a bit of a shame the audio and video weren't in sync for most of it, but that was a minor annoyance.

I liked how it was basically a "tell all" edition of the show. Jeff finally telling how shitty it was at Ziff when the magazine closed, Ryan not having to skirt around the fact the PR incident was over the Sierra games (though I know we had all figured it out when it aired originally) and everything else made it seem like they were enjoying being honest once and for all.

Some of the audience questions were a tad awkward, but that's always going to be the case and I can understand some of them having nerves - I doubt I'd be completely cool if I was stood before those five guys either.

I think Jeff's pondering over his daughter listening to all of his previous antics was the funniest part for me. Especially with Shawn's outbursts. :lol

Ryan Scott

Neo Member
Druz said:
Yeah. Honestly, and with all due respect, ListenUp could not be more of a polar opposite to the Brodeo, and it'd be weird for it to go out on that feed (I'd go with at1UP if we were putting it on a 1UP feed). 1UP definitely deserves the clicks for the awesome video recording (thank you David Ellis), but the plan was always for the audio to go out on one of the new non-1UP podcasts.

Infinity

Ryan,

I'm watching the video version of the reunion at 1UP. It's great to see you guys together again and the hilarity is second-to-none. Here's hoping for another reunion at PAX 2010 - minus the swine flu.

Also, I dig the Geekbox.

Thanks.

TTG

Ryan Scott said:

Also:

Awesome.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
thanks to the whole Brodeo crew, the podcast was amazing, and not in the "oh, it's live, they were probably nervous, here's a pat on the back" way, but in the actual "yes, that was quality" way.

Shawn thanking all the fans for making the threads and getting the word out there was great. There's a fine line between being a 'fan' and being annoying, and it's good to hear that the general buzz a lot of us gave the show was appreciated.

See you next PAX(?)!

voltron

Druz said:

I dont think they would necessarily, but I think more would listen to Listen UP than Geekbox.

Anyway.... like Rez said, thanks for all the hard and completely unnecessary work. I listened to the first 45mins last night and it was rad. CANT WAIT to sit down this afternoon and rock the whole thing while playing Shadow Complex.

Still not showing on iTunes for me. I started up with the Geekbox but I had to unsub because you guys kept talking about Lost and stuff I wasn't caught up on and didn't want to have spoiled.

I might have to re-sub after seeing the summaries of the last few episodes, but in general how spoiler-filled is the show these days? Is there typically a spoiler warning for stuff where it matters (i.e. Lost, GRRM books, long comic series)?

Baladec

Neo Member
Short Anecdote:

I'm really a late-comer to the GFW podcast. The show became a life-saver for me during an internship last summer. I completed a large project three months earlier than the company expected me to, so my day was reduced to running regression tests that involved me waiting three hours to see which ones passed or failed. I went through a bunch of audiobooks, podcasts, but eventually I ran out of material to listen to. GFW became a source for Left 4 Dead information as I awaited its release. The show grew on me after that. Soon my co-workers thought I was crazy from outbursts of laughter coming from my cubicle that cut the silence in the room in a manner similar to an Anthony fart. I've since been listening to the old episodes for recommendations and the hilarious banter to catch up on all the PC gaming I've missed since I got my first Windows compatible machine last fall. Thanks guys, it's been great.

Related to the reunion:

It was a good show. I found it funny, blah blah blah (insert the dick-sucking that usually goes into a RebelFM email). At the end I realized I'm an asshole. Did anyone else laugh when that dude in red stepped up? When I saw him I could only think Hero of the Web.

GhaleonQ

*laughs* I was embarrassed for everyone who went to the microphones, but it became endearing by the end. I've been to live shows for people who podcast for a living, and the environment wasn't that worshipful. Great show, and a "well-done" to the guys for defusing the "You..are...so...AWESOME!" tone whenever possible. That was a well-earned victory lap.

Helmholtz

The show was pretty good and overall entertaining, but next time (if there is a next time) try to limit/cut back on the questions a bit. It just felt like too much of the show was spent answering questions instead of making their own discussions. Still good overall and some funny moments.
Also, what's with the geekbox hate? I personally like that podcast more than listen up, but they're both good in their own way. I could actually see gfw radio fans getting more into geekbox because they go off on funny tangents fairly often.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
Emerging a bit from NerdFlu here...

First, thanks for all the kind words etc etc and big thanks again to OmniAvenger for making this happen. It seriously wouldn't have happened without him.

About the questions: Keep in mind that at the time I said "we're gonna take questions" there were officially only 10 minutes left! So I actually felt guilty that I had only allowed THAT much time. I had no clue it was then going to go on for another 90 minutes. Had we known we were gonna have that much time, we would have paced it all differently. I hear what you guys are saying, but, still, it *was* the one time anyone was really gonna be able to ask us anything, and, in some cases, it led to some unexpected comedy (Jazz English?) that none of us were expecting. :)

But, yeah, in an ideal world, had we known it was a 2.5 hour podcast, we probably woulda blabbered on our own for a couple hours and then had questions later.

...okay, back to bed.

Oh, wait. My kid says we have to watch "Glee" first. Then bed.

UrokeJoe

Wow, after all the years of listening to the Brodeo and GFW radio and never actually seeing them...

I'm kind of disappointed.. I really thought they would be better looking. Not sure I'll be able to masturbate to the past Brodeos anymore.

I still have the memories though. :D

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, this has made me realize just how much I miss GFW radio.
Some gooooooooooooooooood shit.

You guys have to do this next year!

dLMN8R

Thanks to everyone for coming out and putting on a hell of a show. PAX was fantastic, but this was just the delicious icing on the cake.

"Big splash of green" here :p

Shawsie64

Banned
UrokeJoe said:
Wow, after all the years of listening to the Brodeo and GFW radio and never actually seeing them...

I'm kind of disappointed.. I really thought they would be better looking. Not sure I'll be able to masturbate to the past Brodeos anymore.

I still have the memories though. :D

:lol

Loved the show! The Brodeo dudes still got it :D

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
For the record I was glad Shawn kinda shut-down Jazz English.

I was rolling my eyes so hard 3 seconds into that story. I'm sure hes a nice kid, but no one is at the brodeo reunion to learn how whacky you are kid. Especially if you aren't even a fan of the podcast.

One thing I hate is listening to other geeks recount tales of past eccentricity, I had a geek friend in High School who used to bump classical music really loud with the windows down in the parking lot. The shit was so transparent he may as well have carried a briefcase to school and wore a bowler.

Again, I'm sure he was going somewhere with it and was nice, but fuck that shit.

voltron

Enjoying the hell out of this. 40mins in.

Cant believe we used to get this every week. Fuckers should have thrown up a $10 annual subscription and saved their asses :(

Cohsae

If there's another one of these someone needs to ask a comic book-related question. An update on what's worth reading (and on the exploits of Booster Gold) would have been awesome.

Ceebs

voltron said:
I dont think they would necessarily, but I think more would listen to Listen UP than Geekbox.

Anyway.... like Rez said, thanks for all the hard and completely unnecessary work. I listened to the first 45mins last night and it was rad. CANT WAIT to sit down this afternoon and rock the whole thing while playing Shadow Complex.
Geekbox to me has more of an off topic Legendary Thread vibe.

esquar

Neo Member
for what it's worth, now that it's to late to actually do this, I would pay a dollar per episode with that crew.

Sipowicz

Banned
Druz said:

truth

i dont give a fuck about 1up yours any more. yet i listen to geekbox, alww and ootg game whenever i can. only other one i listen to is giant bomb

geekbox talks about pc gaming and comics, both of which were a huge part of gfw

Top Bottom