• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aromarood

Neo Member
It is some sort of "human" thing, it's got nothing to do with any specific type of culture other than fanaticism. Sports fans freak the fuck out if you criticize their favorite team in any way, ridiculous over the top "patriots" scream about how you should leave if you don't like certain aspects of the country. It happens any time people get too attached to the concept of something.

You mention sport fans freaking out if you criticize their favoriete team. But being a fan of a certain team myself, I can say that most of the people that consider themselves fan of this team are very vocal with their criticism. On a pretty popular fan forum a topic containing positive posts had to be made, because the rest of the forum was pretty sour on everything.

Even after winning four championships in a row, we still weren't happy with the way the team was playing and after a season where we came in second and played the worst football/soccer in years it doesn't look like its gonna get better any time soon.

And yet i'll still watch every game and read every bit of news. So I am very much attached to this team.

Why wouldn't you want something you love to get better?

Wanting everything to stay the same seems like a really strange concept to me. But then again I don't really get people that feel like every form of criticism, no matter how wel argued is an attack on the thing they love and by extension an attack on themselves.

Patryn

I find more and more often I actually have to look at the tab to make sure that I opened the correct thread, because JESUS F'N CHRIST people.

It's fascinating that ducks are so prone to raping that the females have evolved anti-rape measures in their vaginas.
the weirdest part of that is that obviously if those measures were effective, they wouldn't be passed on, and yet it still managed to be a dominant trait

ducks, man

It's fascinating that ducks are so prone to raping that the females have evolved anti-rape measures in their vaginas.

Only for males to evolve better penises to rape them with.

Sexually driven selection is amazing.

There was a species of moose in the northeastern territories I believe; females selected for larger antlers on the males to the point that the horns actually impeded movement through the forest, making for easy prey and leading to extinction.

hamchan

Is this thread still about a website about video games?

Because I just watched this anime I liked called Maria the Virgin Witch.

Brashnir

Only for males to evolve better penises to rape them with.

At least now we understand why Donald Duck wears a hat and shirt, but no pants.

Evolution.

Myggen

You mention sport fans freaking out if you criticize their favoriete team. But being a fan of a certain team myself, I can say that most of the people that consider themselves fan of this team are very vocal with their criticism. On a pretty popular fan forum a topic containing positive posts had to be made, because the rest of the forum was pretty sour on everything.

Even after winning four championships in a row, we still weren't happy with the way the team was playing and after a season where we came in second and played the worst football/soccer in years it doesn't look like its gonna get better any time soon.

And yet i'll still watch every game and read every bit of news. So I am very much attached to this team.

Why wouldn't you want something you love to get better?

Wanting everything to stay the same seems like a really strange concept to me. But then again I don't really get people that feel like every form of criticism, no matter how wel argued is an attack on the thing they love and by extension an attack on themselves.

Sports fans in my eyes are always very critical of their own team and accept when other fans of that team are critical. But there's less acceptance for criticism if it's coming from an outsider. I think both the soccer thread and the NBA thread on this site was closed because it got too heated for too long (of course other factors too). I definitely see some of the same reaction from sports fans that we see from a lot of gamers every time "social issues" are mentioned in relation to sports: Witness the reaction a LOT of fans had to the Ray Rice suspension on Twitter, how women's sports in general is treated by fans on the internet etc. It's that same hivemind mentality.

One of my favourite Twitter activities is following Zach Lowe, maybe my favourite sports writer, never being able to just let fans shout at him without him answering back and getting into it with various fans who call him different things. You see a lot of that same mentality in those folks that you see in fanboys and to a certain extent Gamergate people.

Deep sea squids have highly indiscriminate mating behaviors due to high levels of cannibalism and lack of light. Males have developed harpoon-like sperm packet delivery systems that they stick into members of their species in the hopes of actually hitting a female. It's been well documented that males are also stabbed with relatively high frequency.

Most angler fish pictures you're familiar with are pictures of female anglers. Male angler fish are usually not longer than a few inches and exist solely for mating purposes. Once they find a female, they permanently bite onto her skin. Eventually the male's mouth is absorbed by the female, and their blood systems are linked. The male gradually atrophies until he is pretty much just a pair of testicles attached to the female.

This is a commonly known one, but bedbugs females don't have vaginas. Bedbug males have specially formed organs akin to a hyperdermic needles and engage in a method known as "traumatic insemination." I'm sure you can figure out how that goes based on those clues.

TraBuch

Banned
I just asked Jeff how much he likes Lana Del Rey, specifically her album Born to Die.

I'll let you guys know how much he likes her when he answers.

One of my favourite Twitter activities is following Zach Lowe, maybe my favourite sports writer, never being able to just let fans shout at him without him answering back and getting into it with various fans who call him different things. You see a lot of that same mentality in those folks that you see in fanboys and to a certain extent Gamergate people.

My favorite Zach Lowe twitter/article activity is drinking everytime he says feisty. He's the best though.

aromarood

Neo Member
Sports fans in my eyes are always very critical of their own team and accept when other fans of that team are critical. But there's less acceptance for criticism if it's coming from an outsider. I think both the soccer thread and the NBA thread on this site was closed because it got too heated for too long (of course other factors too). I definitely see some of the same reaction from sports fans that we see from a lot of gamers every time "social issues" are mentioned in relation to sports: Witness the reaction a LOT of fans had to the Ray Rice suspension on Twitter, how women's sports in general is treated by fans on the internet etc. It's that same hivemind mentality.

Yeah, that's rue, in the end it's all about the fact that people don't like it when people who are outside of their little bubble shout a criticism regarding something in that bubble, Be it sports teams, the whole sport and even video games. Some people won't like it when anyone says negative things about their favorite team, other people don't really car if someone says negative things about their favorite team but both of those groups will not accept it when you talk in a negative way about the sport which they enjoy. And this is true for everything someone can be passioned about.

santeesioux

If you follow David Aldridge sometimes he'll call random people out for calling him the n word. Then there's people that follow a sports team they hate and troll them constantly. People are weird.

popo

Are they fucking with the bitrates again? Seems they have adopted Gamespot's dumb scheme.

mobile is up to 600 kbs

medium tier at 800 kbs is gone.

medium is the new "high" at 1800 kbs

high is now 3200 kbs (used to be 1800 kbs)

HD is now 4000 kbs.

The difference between 3200 and 4000 is negligible - especially with GBs poor encoding. so all this does is give you less options across the scale. Maybe I am just salty because I found 800 kbs to be a nice sweet spot between quality and bandwidth on a mobile :(

Patryn

Anonymous asked: You guys gonna work on that Bloodborne platinum this week, or are you all busy packing?

Brad: No time, plus half the studio is getting packed up and put on a truck midweek anyway.

I'm still way curious to see what UPF is like this week.

Listening to the Bombcast's bit on MM Legacy Collection, and their love of the Backbone/Other Ocean/Digital Eclipse clique is so fucking confusing.

You know, besides them being friends with those guys. Which frankly they should be more open about when getting that excited about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom