• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb: HoloLens' final version will keep limited field of view, says Microsoft

Microsoft enjoyed one of the most talked-about moments of E3 when it showed off Minecraft running on the upcoming HoloLens augmented reality hardware. The demo featured a bit of smoke and mirrors — the reality is far from the seemingly huge field of view shown in the demo — and it looks like the final version of the hardware won't be much better.

"The hardware isn't final so none of the things are completely done," Microsoft executive Kudo Tsunoda said during a video appearance on Giant Bomb. "I think you're never going to get to full peripheral field of view, but certainly the hardware we have the field of view isn't exactly final. But I wouldn't say it's going to be hugely noticeably different either."

SOURCE: http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/18/8809811/hololens-field-of-view

SOURCE: Giant Bomb - https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Pjh1Uo_xaSQ

QuikNez

Based on the previews (The Verge, Engadget), it sounds like the limited FOV is a game killer... which, if true, is sad.

HORRORSHØW

noooooo! the demos looked super impressive and the only hurdle seemed like the limited fov.

so, with that out of the way, what pragmatic applications can this be used for with such a narrow fov? will it be another kinect, ie., used for glorified menu navigation?

Well Microsoft managed to market sell Kinect 1.0 to a whole lot of people. I'm confident their deep pockets will sell this flawed device too.

VinFTW

Doesn't matter to me. Most the impressions have been overwhelmingly positive, that's all I need to hear to give it a whirl.

This is just a matter of time. It'll be what prevents me from buying Hololens 1.0.

I'll be all over that 2.0 bandwagon though.

hawk2025

Holy misleading article title, Batman.

There's a significant difference between the implication of keeping the current limited FOV, and not getting full peripheral FOV.

Surely there was a better way to phrase that?

So was that demo on the MS stage lies, then?

Not lies, but it shows only the "camera" view. The camera has, say, a 110 FOV, while you have much more than that. The "correct" way to present it would be to have a window around the camera, yes, but it's not exactly lies.

SerTapTap

This has very consistently been called out as the biggest flaw of the demo (and something they constantly hide in their video demos), and at least according to some seems to be a deal breaker. Really surprised they'd just up and say its' not going to be fixed.

It has a significantly lower FOV than even current VR devkits, right?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
ugh. seems that nearly defeats the purpose of the thing then.

That's a shame. Watched the Giant Bomb E3 coverage and both Brad and Jeff were super impressed by it with the field of view being one of their only issues with it.

hawk2025

This has very consistently been called out as the biggest flaw of the demo (and something they constantly hide in their video demos), and at least according to some seems to be a deal breaker. Really surprised they'd just up and say its' not going to be fixed.

He didn't say it wasn't going to improve, only that it will not be a full, vision-filling experience.

Which is expected, since there is no way they have the power to have the nearly 180 FOV the human eyes can perceive.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
a picture of the smoke
8y9rAE5.jpg

and mirrors
XxDNM5rl.jpg

I think the technology has potential, but as usual Microsoft is promising much from behind the curtain.

The final technology likely won't be quite as impressive as we're being led to believe. I still think it's worth pursuing, though.

SerTapTap

He didn't say it wasn't going to improve, only that it will not be a full, vision-filling experience.

Which is expected, since there is no way they have the power to have the nearly 180 FOV the human eyes can perceive.

The end of his quote seems to indicate any change is going to be pretty minor. "not exactly final" and "not hugely different"

Just repeating the Giant Bomb information. It sucks, but to my understanding, the way the hardware currently works, it's a physical limitation. They have to come up with something else to handle the rest of your peripheral vision.

Zaph

The stage demo renders the entire AR view using a special camera they've built, but the guy using the HoloLens headset sees only a small portion. Microsoft are being a little misleading in that regard, yes.

For example, given the reported approximate size of the render, in this situation the guy is mostly likely only seeing the house at the top, not the entire hill:

The FOV has been described as holding an iPad at arm's length.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The stage demo renders the entire VR view using a special camera they've built, but the guy using the HoloLens headset sees only a small portion. Microsoft are being a little misleading in that regard, yes.

For example, given the reported approximate size of the render, in this situation the guy is mostly likely only seeing the house at the top, not the entire hill:

It's that bad? Good lord

BokehKing

Banned
So the better version will be packed into Xbox Too at $499

My question is.....they had a convient set up, my apartment is nothing like that stage show, and I just don't think it's made for me in an every day life scenario

yami4ct

Sounds like the first version then will be for interested devs and crazy consumers. Hopefully Microsoft will continue to iterate on this if (when) the first version fails. The software side of the tech sounds like it could be something special. It just needs the FOV hardware to catch up.

I didn't get the hype for this from Microsoft's press conference. They didn't show someone playing a game. They showed someone watching someone play a game. It was as much of a game as google maps.

I don't think it's about power in this case. It's just a case of them not being able to do such a big FOV with the micro-projector they're using currently.

Doffen

Not good. They need to WOW people with it, but when press in a showcase event question the FOV you know it needs work.

big_z

Hololens isn't aimed at gaming right now, it's a business/educational tool. In the future maybe that will change but to be honest it shouldn't have even been at e3. The whole minecraft bit was more of a plug to get people talking about AR than anything.

kiguel182

AR is amazing and it's no doubt the future but without full (or close to it) FOV it's not worth it.

Maybe in a couple of years we will get there, this is gen 1 of it so far. But yeah, not like this.

It's that bad? Good lord

But it's also really cool, and really good at keeping the image stable to the point where it properly fools your brain into thinking the AR object is there. Even though there are unfortunate limitations, it's apparently really good at what it does.

Jeff Gerstmann couldn't stop raving about it after the "Halo 5 Experience", and he's not an easily excitable man.

krang

So the better version will be packed into Xbox Too at $499

My question is.....they had a convient set up, my apartment is nothing like that stage show, and I just don't think it's made for me in an every day life scenario

To be fair, I've read several accounts from people at E3 who went off-piste and started getting it to build the world on the floor and other surfaces around rather than the designated table, and it worked.

King_Moc

Banned
The stage demo renders the entire AR view using a special camera they've built, but the guy using the HoloLens headset sees only a small portion. Microsoft are being a little misleading in that regard, yes.

What the hell? That sounds terrible. It can't be that bad, surely?

The huge camera was fine, it's the headset which will have limited FOV for whatever reasons.

wild guess but it could be a cost thing or the tech currently messes up on extreme angles, something the headset might have issues with, dunno.

Zaph

It's that bad? Good lord

What the hell? That sounds terrible. It can't be that bad, surely?

Apparently the FOV was better in the demo they gave in January, so there's been a downgrade since then - mostly likely down to processing since they want the Hololens to be an untethered unit. That's a lot of hardware to fit on a head-mounted device, especially when you take into consideration the battery cells to make it last a reasonable amount of time.

I believe Kotaku described it as holding a pack of cards at half an arm's length, which is pretty consistent with the report of holding an iPad at full arm's length.

BokehKing

Banned
Jeff Gerstmann couldn't stop raving about it after the "Halo 5 Experience", and he's not an easily excitable man.
Yeah but if you compare his reactions to other things from e3, his opinion begins to matter a little less.

As beautiful as it looked on stage, I know in the back of my mind it's simply fluffed up to wow people, like scanning skateboards into games.

With that said

I don't do VR per say.. So I would prefer holo lens over oculus and morpheous

Like I would totally play monopoly or a board game with holo lens, or chess

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Holy misleading article title, Batman.

There's a significant difference between the implication of keeping the current limited FOV, and not getting full peripheral FOV.

Surely there was a better way to phrase that?

He says "But I wouldn't say it's going to be hugely noticeably different either". That's the key phrase. Meaning don't start getting your hopes up.

I think best case they increase it a little bit, more in line with what the original demo units had behind closed doors. But those were tethered so that might not be feasible. Feels like the limitations are not as much optical as computational. They can't calculate and draw a larger FoV and keep the computer/battery onboard small enough.

Not lies, but it shows only the "camera" view. The camera has, say, a 110 FOV, while you have much more than that. The "correct" way to present it would be to have a window around the camera, yes, but it's not exactly lies.

It is a massive difference. The camera never seems to clip the image. Seeing a huge minecraft world on the table in front of you sounds amazing. The 'whole' scene being visible is a critical part of that feeling real. When the edges of that object start clipping because of the low FoV, it'll just immediately feel like a computer screen projecting in front of you. The illusion will be lost.

The camera 'showing' you what the user was seeing never clipped, so it is being massively disingenuous.

Jasoneyu

Im sure they are just wording it wrong.

What the probably meant it won't be a full FOV shown in the camera demos but the final model still a large improvement over the current postage stamp that have for the sample units.

Top Bottom