• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb: HoloLens' final version will keep limited field of view, says Microsoft

timlot

Banned
Yoshida did the Halo demo and said it was "Super Cool".
https://twitter.com/yosp

CH0DaxlUkAAoejz.jpg

At first I was thinking "Then what is the point."

But maybe it just the way the product is suppose to work. Everything is suppose to be in "front" of you, not on the side. I think that's what really separates it from VR.

Zaph

Im sure they are just wording it wrong.

What the probably meant it won't be a full FOV shown in the camera demos but the final model still a large improvement over the current postage stamp that have for the sample units.

Why are you sure that it's going to be the exact opposite of what Kudo said?

The FOV has actually gotten worse in the prototypes since January. What does that tell you?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

What the probably meant it won't be a full FOV shown in the camera demos but the final model still a large improvement over the current postage stamp that have for the sample units.

The quote is from the guy heading up Hololens, sitting on a sofa next to the head of Xbox.

He would have carefully worded that comment.

Why are you sure that it's going to be the exact opposite of what Kudo said?

The FOV has actually gotten worse in the prototypes since January. What does that tell you?

It tells me that in trying to make it more compact, the FOV took a hit.

Zornack

But maybe it just the way the product is suppose to work. Everything is suppose to be in "front" of you, not on the side. I think that's what really separates it from VR.

It doesn't even come close to covering everything in front of you, though. If you hold your hand out at arms length the augmented area is about one hand tall and two hands wide.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I think it's going to be one of those things you'll need to try.

Sorta like VR, watching someone use it doesn't at all show what using it will be like.

The FOV is disappointing, but at this point pretty much expected.

Some of the reports so far though have been really positive. I'm curious to see how things work out with a retail unit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'm fine with no peripheral vision, but I would expect significantly more field of view than an ipad at arms length. The problem there is you will often hit situations where the objects you are seeing are not grounded.

That minecraft scene sitting on your table won't feel as solid if you can only see the top half floating in space, with the bottom chopped off.

Zaph

It tells me that in trying to make it more compact, the FOV took a hit.

Yup, me too. Making it a self-contained unit is a big, big ask. I'd love to know the CPU and GPU powering it.

Though not news. MS made that clear at the second disappointing demo at build, which is what started the hololens negativity.
Wait, MS said the FOV isn't improving at Build? I thought they avoided the question back then?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Until they start showing the real FOV in their nonsense demonstrations, Microsoft is potentially building up to the 2nd biggest negative hardware blowback (Xbox One was brutalised) they've had.

HoloLens is gonna be a crazy expensive product, probably at least $1000, and when the smoke clears, theres gonna be rage amongst those early adopters. Hell, it may even be too late to change the perception because they've shown the FULL FOV, FULL LIES version three or so times, now at the biggest possible event outing and some people won't catch the follow ups.

Wonder how many times their asses have to catch fire before higher ups learn not to shower in gasoline before these shows.

You think Kudo Tsunoda, the creative director for the HoloLens project, is wording it wrong when he says "I wouldn't say it's going to be hugely noticeably different either" from the current experience? Like, yes, it's a project in development and specs are always going to change, hopefully for the better. But the guy running the show at Microsoft thinks it's not going to be a quantum leap in experience.

Until they start showing the real FOV in their nonsense demonstrations, Microsoft is potentially building up to the 2nd biggest negative hardware blowback (Xbox One was brutalised) they've had.

HoloLens is gonna be a crazy expensive product, probably at least a $1000, and when the smoke clears, theres gonna be rage amongst those early adopters. Hell, it may even be too late to change the perception because they've shown the FULL FOV, FULL LIES version three or so times, now at the biggest possible event outing and some people won't catch the follow ups.

Wonder how many times their asses have to catch fire before higher ups learn not to shower in gasoline before these shows.

I would hope whenever this gets close to release, people plopping down $1000 or more would know what they're getting into.

I am sure there will be some who get into a nerdrage.. but most will know the limitations and still want to see how it is and to help see what it may become.

This is not going to be an entry level console-type of item.

It doesn't even come close to covering everything in front of you, though. If you hold your hand out at arms length the augmented area is about one hand tall and two hands wide.

I'm fine with no peripheral vision, but I would expect significantly more field of view than an ipad at arms length. The problem there is you will often hit situations where the objects you are seeing are not grounded.

That minecraft scene sitting on your table won't feel as solid if you can only see the top half floating in space, with the bottom chopped off.

But isn't the point to move closer to those things? I don't think you are to stand and look at it from a distance but get closer and react to it, no?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

HoloLens is gonna be a crazy expensive product, probably at least a $1000, and when the smoke clears, theres gonna be rage amongst those early adopters. Hell, it may even be too late to change the perception because they've shown the FULL FOV, FULL LIES version three or so times, now at the biggest possible event outing and some people won't catch the follow ups.

I just think it is misplaced at E3 showing minecraft demos. The initial reveal focused more on productivity, people talking wearers through repairs etc. That kind of thing sounds ideal for an expensive, first generation unit with limited field of view.

but for gaming it just sounds too expensive and too limited.

Ferrio

Banned
But we're talking about this thing like it's going to be a retail product?

Do we really believe that?

MS seems to be pushing it, but I don't think gaming is what they really have in mind for it overall. I'm thinking their main goal is to integrate with Windows 10 for productivity purposes.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
didnt the demo this a while back by having hololens draw a massive screen on someones wall to watch a movie? the reality is a 27" tv :O

Zaph

But isn't the point to move closer to those things? I don't think you are to stand and look at it from a distance but get closer and react to it, no?

Moving closer to things is what makes it worse, because the clipping becomes much more severe.

That's why the Halo demo was a much smarter move because it was augmenting reality further away from you rather than a table inches from your face.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Isn't the point to not proscribe a limited set of use cases, and instead have something that can work in a flexible set of situations? The initial reveal showed them having a wall of app windows stretched across a wall. Or watching a massive movie screen - that was a really dumb and misleading one.

Chabbles

When this tech gets way more advanced, you'd be able to have the same experience from "It Follows", well apart from the violent death when/if the monster catches you.

hawk2025

Moving closer to things is what makes it worse, because things start getting clipped severely.

That's why the Halo demo was a much smarter move because it was augmenting reality further away from you rather than a table inches from your face.

Aaahh, I think it's starting to make more sense to me.

The Halo demo also had the *whole setting* around people covered in a UNSC setting. So it felt like you were watching a hologram on a table in a briefing room, making it have the maximum possible effect as intended.

Sevyne

didnt the demo this a while back by having hololens draw a massive screen on someones wall to watch a movie? the reality is a 27" tv :O

Wasn't that IllumiRoom? That was something completely different. Something completely canned, but different.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.

HoloLens is gonna be a crazy expensive product, probably at least $1000, and when the smoke clears, theres gonna be rage amongst those early adopters. Hell, it may even be too late to change the perception because they've shown the FULL FOV, FULL LIES version three or so times, now at the biggest possible event outing and some people won't catch the follow ups.

It's not really a lie though. You can see all that, but just not at once. Trying to demo to a room full of people and show just the sliver is also misleading, because they wouldn't have control of where they are looking.

You can see all that, just not at once, as you move your eyes you see different parts of it.

Just like showing a video of VR doesn't at all show what it's about either.

So was that demo on the MS stage lies, then?
If you count lying through omission, sure. The image & stability are real. But you'll never have the exact experience the demo insists.

Hololens seems cool, but very limited in scope. I feel like this should be a side-mode to VR, not a standalone headset.

I would hope someone spending $1000 on something would know enough to try one of the demo devices in store before deciding to spend their hard earned money. Only absolutely rich people would just go out and buy it without experiencing it first.

We also dont even know if its even going to be available for consumers from Day 1, it might only be for businesses and developers. We might not even get a chance to buy it until V2. It might not even ship for another year or two if we go by their explicit wording.

hawk2025

It's not really a lie though. You can see all that, but just not at once. Trying to demo to a room full of people and show just the sliver is also misleading, because they wouldn't have control of where they are looking.

You can see all that, just not at once, as you move your eyes you see different parts of it.

That's a pretty bad analogy. Yes, demos of VR show exactly what you see inside the headset.

FleetFeet

Wasn't that IllumiRoom? That was something completely different. Something completely canned, but different.

Nope that wasn't it, it was Hololens at Develop, and on stage he takes a movie and plasters it on a wall, then he stretches the image into an 80" screen and proceeds to watch the movie.

This makes no sense, I can see everything ever, just not at once. It's a lie to show a video/do a demo that shows the entire table being a minecraft world, when that really isn't what you see.

Ehhh... It's pretty clear this tech is a few years off. Yeah, it "works" now, but they're focusing on bringing out a version next year at the latest to get into people's hands (or heads). I bet that will more be aimed at developers and early adopters/enthusiasts anyway. I'm also gonna guess it's a $1000+ device at this point, too.

In other words: Version 1 device.

Not good. They need to WOW people with it, but when press in a showcase event question the FOV you know it needs work.

They still do in a way. The "techno guy" on the news on the radio this morning thought Microsoft was the big winner at E3 with this.

They can sell a lot if it's cheap, but it won't have any legs at all.

Alx

The FOV has been described as holding an iPad at arm's length.

I had rather read "a credit card at two inches" from the Build hands-on

If you were to hold a credit card in front of your face, how far away would you have to hold it for it to match the size of the "rectangle" in your field of view?

[–]seiggy- Build 2015 19 points 1 mois de ça
roughly 2 inches

http://www.reddit.com/r/HoloLens/comments/34c0i0/ama_request_anyone_trying_out_the_hololens_demo/

I have a Surface 1 sitting on my chest right now and my fov on its screen would be similar to that. So it clearly doesn't fill my whole fov, but it does match my central vision.

RowdyReverb

I wonder if it's a limitation of processing power or projection technology.

How does it work? Does it project and image onto the retina? In that case, you'd need either several projectors beaming overlapping images onto your iris/sclera or some kind of broader projector to broaden the FOV, right? Maybe future versions will use eye tracking with multiple projectors or something.

It's interesting tech though. I hope they figure it out soon.

Oppo

Jeff also said "they can't ship this" in regard to the FOV issue, before he did the interview with the Microsoft guys.

Zaph

They still do in a way. The "techno guy" on the news on the radio this morning thought Microsoft was the big winner at E3 with this.

They can sell a lot if it's cheap, but it won't have any legs at all.

The Kinect was a very expensive lesson (both money and brand trust) that this is no way to sustainably market a product.

You might win short-term accolades, but it just means you have further to fall once consumers start using it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

January reveal had gems such as

full size motorbike - https://youtu.be/b6sL_5Wgvrg?t=315

panoramic screens - https://youtu.be/b6sL_5Wgvrg?t=320

mars rover - https://youtu.be/b6sL_5Wgvrg?t=843

to be fair, in that first reveal, they do give you a shot through the actual headset (so I don't know why they didn't continue doing that)

https://youtu.be/b6sL_5Wgvrg?t=439

Alx

Ehhh... It's pretty clear this tech is a few years off. Yeah, it "works" now, but they're focusing on bringing out a version next year at the latest to get into people's hands (or heads). I bet that will more be aimed at developers and early adopters/enthusiasts anyway..

Professionals first, in my opinion. Engineers, architects, designers, ...

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

The correction is they could show the sliver on the camera and move that around as if it was a human head, but that would yield a negative showing.

So I mean, yes they're lying. You can play semantics and try and say theyre just "omitting the truth, visually" or something but a lie is a lie is a lie. They need to quit it yesterday.

is there any mockup/visualization of the FOV?

BgCkh9W.jpg

vWzZHAU.jpg

Blanquito

I'm glad they're working on it. It'll take some time to have a bigger fov and other things, but this is cool technology.

Zaph

I had rather read "a credit card at two inches" from the Build hands-on

http://www.reddit.com/r/HoloLens/comments/34c0i0/ama_request_anyone_trying_out_the_hololens_demo/

I have a Surface 1 sitting on my chest right now and my fov on its screen would be similar to that. So it clearly doesn't fill my whole fov, but it does match my central vision.

Apparently the FOV has gotten worse in newer prototypes.

Kotaku described the E3 demo as holding a pack of cards (which are roughly the size of a credit card) at half an arm's length. I think we can agree that's a lot further than 2 inches.

Top Bottom