• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 05/10/2016

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So how much do they shit on Overwatch?

Xeteh

I'm super surprised Jeff ended up giving Overwatch another try and not only that but had his opinion about it changed a ton. Gonna disagree about him saying it has generous aim even with mouse/keyboard. Stoked about the video podcast, looking forward to seeing what that is.

Surprised the guys don't want a TLOU 2.

I'm legit surprised Dan is the one that was pretty vocal about it since he seems to want sequels of tons of games, granted mostly Nintendo IP stuff. To each their own, though.

They are genuinely positive on Overwatch, though they seem downright angry at Battleborn.

I guess Blizzards plan of releasing the beta to coincide with Battleborns release worked, people probably played Overwatch and went 'Wow why can't Battleborn play this good'. Jeff certainly did, and he was tepid towards it previously(Compared it to TF2 and mentioned he didn't like those type of shooters)

Alfredo

This is the greatest Bombcast thread. Man, I love Killer7.

Also, I just bought that horse racing solitaire game because of this podcast. Can't wait for the Quick Look...so I can learn what the heck I'm supposed to do in this weirdo game.

yami4ct

After they loved 2 so much it's surprising to hear them so lukewarm on U4.

Dan loves that game and Brad seems really positive. Both admit it has problems, but they are far from lukewarm. Jeff is the only one who actively dislikes it, and he just has never dug Uncharted to begin with.

SPCTRE

After they loved 2 so much it's surprising to hear them so lukewarm on U4.
I don't know, they didn't sound lukewarm to me - unless you're counting Jeff, which, he said himself that he never got enjoyment/satisfaction out of the core UC gameplay

ETA: basically what yami4ct said

Gearbox gets shit as Pitchford is a sleazebag, Overwatch came out and has better buzz, and Tales from the Borderlands makes Battleborn's "throwing cans of spaghetti at the wall" humor all the more terrible.

Yeah, I feel like Gearbox and Pitchford are well past the point of being able to coast off the success of Borderlands 1.

jeffram

I think jeff has complained about not being able to line up a headshot while ducked behind cover in every uncharted and the last of us, indicating that it's a problem that needs to be fixed.

It's a design decision, and it makes complete sense. Being able to do that is kind of cheating, especially when you consider mp.

LiK

Lots of mild spoilers in Uncharted 4 talk. I had skim like like a mofo. They mention specific scenes and also mention what chapters get going. Wish they did a better job being more vague considering the podcast comes out on the day of release. I'll relisten to it after I finish the game.

I think jeff has complained about not being able to line up a headshot while ducked behind cover in every uncharted and the last of us, indicating that it's a problem that needs to be fixed.

It's a design decision, and it makes complete sense. Being able to do that is kind of cheating, especially when you consider mp.

Also, while I don't want to say "Jeff's playing the game wrong", because it's up to the game to "teach" you how to play -- I kinda feel like Uncharted (and this one particularly) isn't really designed for sitting behind cover like Gears of War.

They want you to be on the move constantly, so -- again, the game's at fault if Jeff hasn't figured this out yet -- but I kinda feel like he should try getting on his bike a bit more and he may have more fun.

daveo42

Banned
I was fine on the UC4 talk. Glad to hear they were all pretty positive on the game (except Jeff lol). Their discussion on Overwatch tho...now I feel like I need to play it even if I'm not big on multiplayer shooters.

I was fine on the UC4 talk. Glad to hear they were all pretty positive on the game (except Jeff lol). Their discussion on Overwatch tho...now I feel like I need to play it even if I'm not big on multiplayer shooters.

Overwatch has that Blizzard polish and magic that WoW had that made it so popular.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
this thread is all killer, no filler

that's what i got

Yeah, I feel like Gearbox and Pitchford are well past the point of being able to coast off the success of Borderlands 1.

I'm probably a minority, but I'm actively rooting against Battleborn because of Pitchford's crap. Though it might be more successful out of the gate because the commercials are better.

If I didn't know what Overwatch was I would have no idea from the commercials.

jacobeid

Banned
I was also surprised that the gang was so positive about Overwatch.

That being said, I was surprised that I was so positive about overwatch. The game wasn't even really on my radar and I pre-ordered it on PC after the beta.

Also, while I don't want to say "Jeff's playing the game wrong", because it's up to the game to "teach" you how to play -- I kinda feel like Uncharted (and this one particularly) isn't really designed for sitting behind cover like Gears of War.

They want you to be on the move constantly, so -- again, the game's at fault if Jeff hasn't figured this out yet -- but I kinda feel like he should try getting on his bike a bit more and he may have more fun.

I think the first real major gunfight of the game, when you meet up with Sam in the Ballroom, does a really good job of communicating that because the enemies bullets will obliterated your cover in a matter of seconds. I've seen a lot of Gaffers talking about how Quantum Break is a movement-based shooter as well, but Jeff seems to play every TPS with rhythm of a GoW-esqe cover shooter. Which if that's how he want to play, that's fine, but he's not gonna get the full benefit of the mechanics of the game.

Coming off of replaying UC1 and 2 as part of the ND Collection, the gunplay here feels like a revelation. It just feels so much more kinetic especially with the improved enemy AI and animation system.

Also I kind of, well I sort of do get it, but I didn't agree with how apprehensive they were about BF1. We can't really say "This isn't a good war to set a Military Shooter in/The guns are unfun to shoot" because we literally have never played a WWI AAA shooter before. Obviously this can't just be another reskin of BF3; there has to be some modifications of the gameplay loop to accommodate for the weaponry, but one of their MOs behind the game is to show battlefronts beyond just the trenchworks of Verdun, which to me is really interesting. And I just think it's cynical to take the view "It woulda been better if they'd just gone back to WWII".

javac

Dr. Atkins and The Levelord present: No Fuckin' Bread.

I Am Fucking Bread, the name of my upcoming indie VR experience. I don't want to get into specifics but I'm excited to be a part of the up coming VR revolution. The ThickBurger expansion pack will be introduced at a latter date.

witness

Lots of mild spoilers in Uncharted 4 talk. I had skim like like a mofo. They mention specific scenes and also mention what chapters get going. Wish they did a better job being more vague considering the podcast comes out on the day of release. I'll relisten to it after I finish the game.

Yeah when they started rolling with detailing scenes I had to skip ahead. I should know better, but man....wish they didn't do that.

Mr. F

Banned
Was Jeff on point with the anecdote on WWI schooling in America? It was a big part of history classes growing up in Canada as it was a big moment in cementing a national identity independent of the British empire. Curious if Jeff's experience holds true or maybe changed in the years since.

Was Jeff on point with the anecdote on WWI schooling in America? It was a big part of history classes growing up in Canada as it was a big moment in cementing a national identity independent of the British empire. Curious if Jeff's experience holds true or maybe changed in the years since.

We had a pretty big section on it in high school in our western civilization class but other than that, we didn't get much WWI. We did give it a bit of time in my US history class, but not much. But that kind of makes sense since we were barely involved compared to the other participants.

He's right about American schools, mostly High Schools, not going in-depth into WWI. I think a lot of it had to do with America not entering the war until really late in it's phase when the damage had already been done.

LiK

He's right about American schools, mostly High Schools, not going in-depth into WWI. I think a lot of it had to do with America not entering the war until really late in it's phase when the damage had already been done.

most American public schools are fucking awful with history in general. learned most of my shit from PBS.

Ianan

Anyone know what video Jeff was talking about related to the TF2 hackers being banned? Kinda wanna see that lol.

The spamming of the email cue killed me.

New mariachi or polka rendition of the Bombcast theme when.

Pretty much. You gotta do CP or AP to get what we got, otherwise its the highlights.

Kusagari

My school completely skipped WW1 outside of having to mention it as a backdrop for why Hitler rose to prominence.

Most American schools are just in a mad rush to reach Hitler and the Holocaust once you reach the last 100 years.

Top Bottom