• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 05/10/2016

I'm sure the gap between what I retained from school and what was actually taught is gigantic. WWI probably got a perfectly good and indepth overview. Forgot it all within a week (assuming I remembered it that long)

If only Dan Carlin was my history teacher

Aurongel

Was Jeff on point with the anecdote on WWI schooling in America? It was a big part of history classes growing up in Canada as it was a big moment in cementing a national identity independent of the British empire. Curious if Jeff's experience holds true or maybe changed in the years since.

He's right about American schools, mostly High Schools, not going in-depth into WWI. I think a lot of it had to do with America not entering the war until really late in it's phase when the damage had already been done.

Pretty much everything I learned about in my non-AP high school classes regarding WWI focused on the domestic issues of the time and how US industrial policy was built around it.

Anyone know what video Jeff was talking about related to the TF2 hackers being banned? Kinda wanna see that lol.

I want to see this video bad as well.

Johndoey

Banned
Oh? I thought Tales had the same writers as Borderlands?
Not as far as I know.
Was Jeff on point with the anecdote on WWI schooling in America? It was a big part of history classes growing up in Canada as it was a big moment in cementing a national identity independent of the British empire. Curious if Jeff's experience holds true or maybe changed in the years since.
I can only talk about my schooling, but yeah everything I know about WWI aside from broad strokes was from my dad.

Devildoll

Regarding the history/battlefield 1 talk.

I was about 13 years old when i got battlefield 1942, and the name of the maps, and vehicles helped me to score good on the ww2 part of the history tests in school.

Chuck

Still without luck
Any time someone has a bigger than 59 inch television, it seems they go out of their way to mention it to everyone who doesn't give a fuck.

We get it, you clearly have a HUGE penis.

I'm 30ish, and we basically got, "Nationalism -> Franz Ferdinad -> Trench Warfare -> America comes in -> Failure of LoN - > Treaty of Versailles -> Hitler"

TIMESTAMPS

0:00:00 - Intro music & baby talk

What games have the crew played?
0:03:38 - The crew talk about Uncharted 4 contains spoilers

0:26:25 - Giant Bomb membership upgrades on sale and the Mario Party Party

0:26:42 - The crew talk about Hitman Episode 2
0:31:14 - The crew talk about Overwatch (includes Battleborn discussion)
0:57:01 - Dan talks about Clash Royale Pocket Card Jockey
1:04:01 - Drew talks about Twilight Struggle
1:04:45 - Jeff talks about Phantasy Star Online 2
1:08:50 - Brad talks about Uncharted: Fortune Hunter

1:09:49 - Intermission

News
1:10:21 - Battlefield 1 revealed for PC/PS4/XB1
1:23:57 - EA announces a new Star Wars game from Visceral for 2018
1:31:28 - Nintendo only bringing the new Legend of Zelda at E3 2016
1:33:56 - Persona 5 trailer, 15th September 2016 release date for Japan
1:35:58 - Microsoft enables more support features for UWP on Windows 10

Emails
1:38:31 - The Nintendo ‘NX’ codename
1:42:13 - Dota 2 and American Gladiator trivia game
1:47:11 - Atari Jaguar
1:49:52 - PS4 trophy percentages
1:54:35 - The LMAOBOX AimBot for Team Fortress 2
1:56:19 - Saints Rowkyo Drift - a Saints Row game set in near-future Tokyo…
1:58:28 - Old consoles like an Atari 800 more like a computer or console?
2:01:31 - Mass Effect ride
2:05:04 - Richard "The Levelord" Gray
2:07:18 - Pizza
2:16:29 - PC versions of games and screen setup
2:20:59 - An interesting little box and a choice to be made (and vaping/weed talk)

2:30:09 - Breaking News: Disney cancels Disney Infinity, exits console publishing

2:35:46 - THE END

I think the issue is WWI just isn't as pivotal to specifically American History as it is to European History or the History of British Dominions, whose sacrifice in the war paved the way for nascent nationalism and the devolution of powers to what would become the commonwealth states. In America it neither really signifies our emergence on the World stage--that would be the Spanish-American War.-- because we quickly reverted to a policy of Isolationism soon afterwards, besides East Asian interests. WWII was the conflict that permanently cemented the United States as a world power.

amazes me that in 2016 people still think that Nintendo owns GameFreak.

Nevermind that Pocket Card Jockey was an iOS/Android game back in 2013.

I always figured they would have done like some kind of alternate reality steampunk-ish WWI, with horses being flown around by hot air balloons or some shit.

Dylan

I learned a lot about World War I in the Ontario school system. Not really sure if it was the same for other Canadians who grew up in the 80s/90s.

Vimy Ridge in particular received a lot of attention due to Canada's role.

Dylan

Here's Justin Trudeau playing the role of Talbot Papineau in the 2005 CBC documentary "The Great War".

justin.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I learned a lot about World War I in the Ontario school system. Not really sure if it was the same for other Canadians who grew up in the 80s/90s.

Vimy Ridge in particular received a lot of attention due to Canada's role.
It's because Canada's role in WW2 is limited to losing Hong Kong and Juno beach, which is like the less "important" version of Omaha beach.

That and because Vimy ridge is supposed to be when Canada "defined" itself. It's a very nationalistic way of looking at history.

Dylan

It's because Canada's role in WW2 is limited to losing Hong Kong and Juno beach, which is like the less "important" version of Omaha beach.

That and because Vimy ridge is supposed to be when Canada "defined" itself. It's a very nationalistic way of looking at history.

Well, we also covered World War II in school. It's not like they chose one war over the other.

sonicmj1

So should I just give up on expecting Jeff to talk about Stephen's Sausage Roll after Jason cut him off a few weeks ago?

Yikes listening them talk about WW1 was rough. Read a few wiki pages guys.

I think a lot of it is just a product of culture; we're exposed to WWII stuff all the time, but very rarely any WWI stuff. That's one of the reasons this game could be so cool, because it introduces people to World War I for the first time.

G_Berry

Banned
I think a lot of it is just a product of culture; we're exposed to WWII stuff all the time, but very rarely any WWI stuff. That's one of the reasons this game could be so cool, because it introduces people to World War I for the first time.
I was never tought WW1 in school either but come on. And Jeff calling the weapons garbage? Jesus.

Jintor

wow that's super aussie lol. Australia defines itself in military mythology by the Gallipoli campaign (and to a lesser extent the WWII timor/pacific war)

bomma_man

Yeah but it's an intellectual curiosity thing too. This information is not difficult to come across. That entire conversation didn't do anything to dispel the insular American stereotype.

(Of course, not saying that I know everything about every obscure war, but the First World War is far from obscure or small, and, as they mention in the conversation, it's still basically in living memory, unlike that enormous ancient Chinese war that I can't remember the name of, and we're still living with a whole heap of its ramifications)

Phediuk

lol @ how uninformed the Bombcrew is about WW1.

Jeff was pretty much "I don't know anything about this war but I think this game's gonna suck."

lol @ how uninformed the Bombcrew is about WW1.

Jeff was pretty much "I don't know anything about this war but I think this game's gonna suck."
They up front admitted how they don't know much about the conflict, which is fine, and then by the end wound up having a negative opinion on the game's prospects because of the setting...that they admitted not knowing that much about.

Dan did his best but as usual got drowned out over the course of the 'discussion'.

I had assumed that Brad or Drew at least would have referred to Hardcore History's multi-episode series on World War I since I think one of them listens to that show.

The vast majority of history taught is pre 1900. Time is given to the industrial revolution, WW1 &WW2 but its nowhere near the amount of time.

I feel like if Brad put more time into Battleborn he would genuinely like the game. He seemed like the only one of the group that see's the potential.

Top Bottom