• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III: Demo Impressions Thread

Kaako said:
WTF? I thought it would be the new build with improved lighting and such. How do you know it's the same exact build?

I'm pretty certain it's the same build. The "lighting" improvement is just the quality of the off screen photo.

Comparison of "old" build color corrected and resized vs "new" build:

image_god_of_war_3-2.jpg

33m79za.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Linkzg said:
So far the demo is fucking awsome

I actually just had to stop for second to come and say how incredible the game looks. The lighting is insane. Great image quality, too.

The lion boxing gloves are also awesome. L1+X makes you shoulder ram enemies. But L1+O does a grab move where you pull them glose and clock them right in the face.
Would you say it is painterly? /sixyearoldmeme

BeeDog said:
So, 30 fps or 60 fps with heavy dips?

I'm not the best judge of framerate, but it's definitely 60fps and I didn't really notice any dips. It feels really smooth to me. But I guess you'll have to wait for TTP or jett to get it as they're much more critical than I am in that area.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
HOLY FUCK. This game puts a smile on my face.
Looks amazing on my hdtv as well. The gore, the gore! :D

SolidSnakex said:
I'm not the best judge of framerate, but it's definitely 60fps and I didn't really notice any dips. It feels really smooth to me. But I guess you'll have to wait for TTP or jett to get it as they're much more critical than I am in that area.
*Single tear*

Tiduz

Eurogaime
im really impressed with the framerate, i didnt notice any problems at all, verry smooth! IMO

Also, im confused at the ending
when he attacks the huge dude and it ends, isnt he a titan thats on your side? like gaia and others? i thought you were on their side o_O

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Kaako said:
HOLY FUCK. This game puts a smile on my face.
Looks amazing on my hdtv as well. The gore, the gore! :D
Glad the demo isn't censored. I was worried that it would be since Sony is censoring the gameplay videos.

B-Ri

Tiduz said:
im really impressed with the framerate, i didnt notice any problems at all, verry smooth! IMO

Also, im confused at the ending
when he attacks the huge dude and it ends, isnt he a titan thats on your side? like gaia and others? i thought you were on their side o_O

When working at Comic-Con i asked one of the product managers for the game this exact question, he responded

"Their your friends when they want to be, everyone has their own objectives"

he wouldnt answer any further then that.

Binabik15 said:
Make a US account and visit the GoW 3 demo sharing thread and you don´t need to wash yourself to play:D
GeeDuhb said:
There is a demo share account set up already. Go HERE to get in on the action (just post that you want to be added to the list.)

Someone who got a code for the demo set up a dummy account that we are going to pass around and d/l the demo ;)
Awesome, thanks! I just posted there to get in the queue. Thanks again!

Tiduz

Eurogaime
B-Ri said:
When working at Comic-Con i asked one of the product managers for the game this exact question, he responded

"Their your friends when they want to be, everyone has their own objectives"

he wouldnt answer any further then that.

ahhh ic, thanks for answering my question :]

Thrakier

Almost 3GB.

It looks very good. Very stylized, Jaffe wasn't wrong with his picture comment. It's up there with the best looking games. However it feels strange that the camera angle is set, don't know when I played such a game the last time. Takes some time to get used to. Feels a bit old tbh. Gameplay wise it's just what you expect, nothing more and nothing less.

criesofthepast said:
Almost 3GB! Is that the biggest demo ever on PSN? How did Killzone 2 fit all that awesome in like 500mb?

Well, the new R&C game has had 2 demos, both of them larger than 2 gigs. I think that wins, for now.

Simo

Aww man after the end came I just wanted to keep playing. :D I didn't find the demo that hard but the Icharus vent at the end kind of annoyed me.

Love the Cestus weapon especially when performing the L1+Square attack that spins them around and launches the enemies crashing into the walls.:lol

I'm not sure if anyone got their demo from the GameStop voucher like I did but it has another voucher coupon code for the "Phantom of Chaos" skin for final game, which is Kratos' original design before they changed it to what he is today. Hopefully I don't lose it between now and March.

BeeDog

Amazing demo, goddamn!

First, the good stuff: graphics are fucking awesome, the image quality is great, the lighting is sublime (the illumination of surfaces looks spectacular), and the game's visceral and meaty as fuck. Those boxing gloves (Cestus?) are fun as hell to use, and the demo wasn't as easy as I'd imagine.

The only real negative I have is the fluctuating framerate; it sometimes hits 60 fps, but most often it feels like it's staying at 45 fps or some odd number. At least compared to other games it actually feels very smooth most of the time, which is a serious plus, and thankfully there's no screen tearing to speak of.

FUUUU-, I must have this game now!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
captscience said:
I'm pretty certain it's the same build. The "lighting" improvement is just the quality of the off screen photo.

Comparison of "old" build color corrected and resized vs "new" build:

image_god_of_war_3-2.jpg

33m79za.jpg
The question is if the new build has this color correction done through some post processing on the fly or it's just all the result of camera flash. There's a distinct yellowish tinge to the older build direct buffer screen, it should be easy to see if the demo that we can download has that scene looking just like that.

Trevelyon

Hol E. Shit!

Was once a GoW3 "goodbutnotalldat" graphics skeptic, now I've been fully converted in a baptism of fiery Kratos jizz gravy.

Painting come to life all over my face. Day 1, Ultimate Edition baby.

Y2Kev said:
Would you say it is painterly? /sixyearoldmeme

Honestly, I picture I attempted to take was during the brief plastforming section where I was kinda stunned by how nice the walls looked. It's hard to explain, but it was like there was depth between each layers, and each layer didn't seem flat either. What was really amazing is when you lean to make the jump, the perspective shifts, and it doesn't seem like the camera just pans, it seems like it's on a crane or something that makes the little gap seem like it's really there. If you took out the Kratos model, it probably would have looked straight of of concept art.

Lord Error said:
The question is if the new build has this color correction done through some post processing on the fly or it's just all the result of camera flash. There's a distinct yellowish tinge to the older build direct buffer screen, it should be easy to see if the demo that we can download has that scene looking just like that.

True. I'm still guessing that the difference color/contrast is a result of the off screen capture and or TV settings

But regardless, the excitement over a dramatically new build/lighting/etc is almost certainly just an overreaction.

captscience said:
But regardless, the excitement over a dramatically new build/lighting/etc is almost certainly just an overreaction.

On the upside, when you play the game it looks dramatically better than any movies you've seen of it so far. So even though it's not a new build it'll still amaze you with how good it looks.

Jostifer

This build is the June E3 build. This is 100% the same thing as on the show floor back then, you won't witness any further development in this demo.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The walls and some textures have a pixel shaded/paint look to them. I looks really gorgeous with the light lighting.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
can i summon blue phantoms to help me in the demo?

But seriously, should be getting some direct feed of it up real soon on gt.

Pachimari

I didn't get too far in the original God of War, never played God of War II and didn't dig God of War: Chains of Olympus - now I'm sitting here downloading the demo of God of War III at 88% and I'm excited. I like hack 'n slash games like Heavenly Sword and Bayonetta, so hope I'll join the side of Kratos this time.

BeeDog

My dad walked in during the scene where you pull out the cyclop's eye and rip of Helios' head, and simply said "what's the rating for this game? 55 and above?", then shook his head and walked away.

:D

Binabik15

Wow. Wow. WOW!

It´s like, uh, God of War in HD. With a few better textures. And some enemies crawl over the floor and try to grab you after you cut off their legs. But is that already enough to call it a new God of Wa...OMG I CAN´T ACT LIKE I´M NOT IMPRESSED!

Demo was fucking awesome!

I had three things that bugged me, though.

-Flight controls.

-Font. The menu that popped up when you pressed Select looks horrible.

-The guy that you, uh, helped to get off that building. When you pressed "O" the ketchup sauce
lulz
stain that splash on the wall was right there, even before the head touched the wall. Happened during two playthroughs, but that will probably be fixed in the full game.

Uncharted 2 and GoW 3 on the same day. <3 <3 <3 I love the smell of being a console peasant in the morning. Or something :lol

Top Bottom